Official Premier League Discussion Thread

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Re: Premiership 2011/2012 Discussion

A lot of talk in the non tabloid areas saying he could be on his way out in the summer

I'd be happy with that, he'll never play the Liverpool way. At least Torres tried, and his rant at a club legend and throwing off his shirt is just disrespectful, he's had plenty of chances to improve. If anybody saw the SoccerAM with Pepe Reina talking about his team mates and he was asked who was the worse trainer..........Andy Carroll, that doesn't seem like a guy who wants to make it at Anfield. Who would he go to though? Who would even bother signing him? and How much would we even make? Not a fraction at what Kenny paid.

I'd be happy with that' date=' he'll never play the Liverpool way. At least Torres tried, and his rant at a club legend and throwing off his shirt is just disrespectful, he's had plenty of chances to improve. If anybody saw the SoccerAM with Pepe Reina talking about his team mates and he was asked who was the worse trainer..........Andy Carroll, that doesn't seem like a guy who wants to make it at Anfield. [b']Who would he go to though? Who would even bother signing him? and How much would we even make? Not a fraction at what Kenny paid[/b].

Hello

:o;)

Leicester would have Carroll. We could probably give you a couple of million for him too :)

Might as well take Ranégie who Sven made a bid in the Summer 2011 window, but it got rejected and he ended up at Malmö. Also, take Larsson as well. Both of them would have cheaper wages than Carroll.

Shaun Derry lost his appeal over his red card against United. Cant understand that decision at all.

Can completely understand the decision, knew it wouldn't be succesful. He clearly commited an offence int he box, as although it may have been a very soft push, he did push Ashley Young and denied a goalscoring opportunity.

Derry misses tommorow's game against us :)

The FA are a complete joke. Balotelli gets no punishment for his studs up tackle on Alex Song because one of the officials apparently saw the incident? There is no way that an official could have seen the full extent of the incident for Balotelli to remain on the pitch afterwards.

Shaun Derry is suspended for a game because he may have slightly pushed a player (contact really was minimal) yet Mario Balotelli can put in one of the most dangerous tackles I've seen this season and get away with it. What a shambles.

*shakes head*

The FA are a complete joke. Balotelli gets no punishment for his studs up tackle on Alex Song because one of the officials apparently saw the incident? There is no way that an official could have seen the full extent of the incident for Balotelli to remain on the pitch afterwards.

Shaun Derry is suspended for a game because he may have slightly pushed a player (contact really was minimal) yet Mario Balotelli can put in one of the most dangerous tackles I've seen this season and get away with it. What a shambles.

*shakes head*

As i said on the Man. City thread' date=' the FA had no real choice with both decisions.

If the officials have seen the incident, as has proven to be the case, then they can give the player in question a ban. It was just a case of whether the officials saw the incident or not, if they hadn't then Balotelli would have definatly recieved a three games ban. The severness of the tackle wasn't what was in contention.

As for the Derry red card, the appeal had to be rejected. It is written clear as daylight in the laws of the game that a push is a direct kick offence, Derry did push Young and regardless that Young did simulate more force it was definatly a push and he did deny a goalscoring opportunity. Just because the red card was a harsh one, doesn't mean that in the laws of the game it's not a red card.

For the Balotelli red card they can't re-referee a decision, it isn't really justice that Balotelli got away with making that sort of a challenge but it's not the FA who are at fault for it, it's the officials on the night.

You yourself have stated that Derry pushed Young, it doesn't matter how much force is applied, a push is a direct free kick offence and once the referee's given the penalty he has to follow it up with a red card as he's denied a goalscoring opportunity. Both decisons seem harsh, but both are completely justified.

As i said on the Man. City thread' date=' the FA had no real choice with both decisions.

For the Balotelli red card they can't re-referee a decision, it isn't really justice that Balotelli got away with making that sort of a challenge but it's not the FA who are at fault for it, it's the officials on the night.

You yourself have stated that Derry pushed Young, it doesn't matter how much force is applied, a push is a direct free kick offence and once the referee's given the penalty he has to follow it up with a red card as he's denied a goalscoring opportunity. Both decisons seem harsh, but both are completely justified.[/quote']

I said there 'may' have been a push. The video replays I've seen are still questionable. Whatever contact there was simply was not enough to bundle Young down to the floor like it seemed to. Me as a ref would have booked Young for a dive. Saying that, if I was a ref I'd be handing out cards for dives and players getting in my face every 5 minutes.

Going back to Balotelli, there is a difference between simply seeing a coming together and then seeing studs up into the knee/shin. ANY official that had seen the full extent of that tackle would have given a straight red, nobody can say otherwise.

The current rules in place by the FA are stupid and are all in place as a set of smokescreens so the FA can get away with that they want with minimal effort. Balotelli should be given a ban for that challenge regardless of an official seeing the two players come together because it's a red card offence 100 times out of 100. The official did not do his job properly and that should be fixed. That kind of tackle is outlawed in the game. The FA have gone and set the president now that wreckless tackling is absolutely fine as long as you can fool the official into thinking it wasn't as bad as it truly was.

It all comes down to the respect campaign again. "Oh the ref kind of saw it so we fully stand by his decision". Nonsense. It was a shocking tackle, do your job and right the officials wrong, then send that official down to League 2 games for a couple of weeks until he can prove he's competant. Officiating standards are dropping by the week (if you watch the Championship you'd see bad calls in every single game every week) and the FA are just covering the officials in a rug so nobody can get to them. The FA are a shambles, refereeing standards are a shambles and Balotelli not getting a ban in a shambles. End of story.

I said there 'may' have been a push. The video replays I've seen are still questionable. Whatever contact there was simply was not enough to bundle Young down to the floor like it seemed to. Me as a ref would have booked Young for a dive. Saying that' date=' if I was a ref I'd be handing out cards for dives and players getting in my face every 5 minutes.

Going back to Balotelli, there is a difference between simply seeing a coming together and then seeing studs up into the knee/shin. ANY official that had seen the full extent of that tackle would have given a straight red, nobody can say otherwise.

The current rules in place by the FA are stupid and are all in place as a set of smokescreens so the FA can get away with that they want with minimal effort. Balotelli should be given a ban for that challenge regardless of an official seeing the two players come together because it's a red card offence 100 times out of 100. The official did not do his job properly and that should be fixed. That kind of tackle is outlawed in the game. The FA have gone and set the president now that wreckless tackling is absolutely fine as long as you can fool the official into thinking it wasn't as bad as it truly was.

It all comes down to the respect campaign again. "Oh the ref kind of saw it so we fully stand by his decision". Nonsense. It was a shocking tackle, do your job and right the officials wrong, then send that official down to League 2 games for a couple of weeks until he can prove he's competant. Officiating standards are dropping by the week (if you watch the Championship you'd see bad calls in every single game every week) and the FA are just covering the officials in a rug so nobody can get to them. The FA are a shambles, refereeing standards are a shambles and Balotelli not getting a ban in a shambles. End of story.[/quote']

As i said it isn't really relevant that Young went down easily in terms of the appeal, if the FA feel Young's been pushed regardless of whether it was with enough force to bring Ashley Young down it was red card by the laws of the game. Referees do need to stamp out diving by giving more yellow cards for it though, most referees just wave play on and the English referees are particularly poor when it comes to punishing players for diving.

As for Mario Balotelli, the FA don't have much say in it. The FA can't re-refereed a decision and if the officials have seen the incident, even if they can't say the full extent of the tackle, then they can hand out an additional ban to Balotelli. This is due to FIFA and UEFA more then the FA, they don't want decisions to be re-refereed. I agree with it myself, the officials should have sent Balotelli off for the tackle originally and i don't think the FA's at fault.

As for demoting referees, the FA do demote referees. I think it's Stuart Atwell who has been demoted by the Premier League this season. In my opinion standards of refereeing has improved recentley, but that's just natural as i've gradually gone from watching League 2 football to Premier League football in my time watching football so i'm not really if the standard of officials has improved or declined, but it certainly could do with being improved. It does frustrate me though someone considered a top referee like Phil Dowd is left being the 4th official in Premier League games though.

Just found this picture and decided to post it.

What would your first Alternative eleven be? :D

Assuming alternative means anyone outside of Man. City' date=' Man. United, Spurs, Chelsea & Arsenal mine would be:

[center']Vorm

Bardsley - (EDIT: Coloccini) - Caulker - Baines

Ben Arfa - Sigurdsson - Cabaye - Dempsey

Cisse - Ba[/center]

Assuming alternative means anyone outside of Man. City, Man. United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool mine would be:

Vorm

Bardsley - Heitinga - Caulker - Baines

Fellaini

Sessegnon - Sigurdsson - Dempsey - McLean

Graham