Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2011/2012 Discussion

I somewhat agree with your first point however I despise the fact that referees do not come out to speak to the media. I feel that speaking to the media about contentious decisions will do more good than bad. I hate to keep going back to Rugby as an example' date=' but referees speak to TV/Radio after games if there was a bad/wrong/contentious decision and they explain why they gave it. And they admit when they get it wrong. I feel that a lot of fans would welcome listening to what referees have to say about some of their decisions.

As for the second one I completely agree. More bookings needed and if not, ban them. We'll see how many people dive again once they miss 1/2/3/4 games a season because of it. I bet it would become a rarer and rarer occurrence[/quote']

As for referees speaking out in the media. Mark Clattenberg spoke at half time of the Chelsea-Fulham game why he gave a penalty to Kalou, and whilst it was more understable that he would give it for Danny Murphy's tackle (as although he didn't make contact with Kalou, he couldn't have much of a complaint as he dived in with two feet and didn't get the ball) but he actually gave the offence against Stephen Kelly who didn't attempt a tackle on Kalou. I don't think it would do much good to be honest.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

As for referees speaking out in the media. Mark Clattenberg spoke at half time of the Chelsea-Fulham game why he gave a penalty to Kalou' date=' and whilst it was more understable that he would give it for Danny Murphy's tackle (as although he didn't make contact with Kalou, he couldn't have much of a complaint as he dived in with two feet and didn't get the ball) but he actually gave the offence against Stephen Kelly who didn't attempt a tackle on Kalou. I don't think it would do much good to be honest.[/quote']

I think it would do more good than bad

Just seen reports linking one Johan Cruyff with the Liverpool vacant football director's post.

Johan Cruyff pushed La Masia through for Barca back when he managed them, so if true, it could be the start of something quite exciting for Liverpool fans should he attempt to follow the same or similar philosophy.

We're set to have our lowest crowd of the season tommorow, and the first crowd below 19,000 with Blackburn only selling 600 of their allocation. Pathetic away support for what is a crucial game for them, with them in with a chance of relegation. Set to be the worst away crowd of the season, although i'd imagine it would have been Wigan had that not been their first away game of the season, they took 800.

Hopefully, we get a better infrastructure in the away end by the start of next season so we can allocate some of the away end to home supporters for the clubs that don't travel well, as we sold out for the game immeadiatly and it's frustrating why 1,500 more home supporters can't watch Premier League football.

So if your watching MOTD tommorow and are wondering why there's all those empty seats behind the goal, that's where the Blackburn fans were meant to be.

Been a fan of him since last year. He really impressed me in Under 21 Championships

He was brilliant for Reading as well. Didn't surpise me when a club like Hoffenheim bought him (although the £7m price raised eyebrows) - I just don't understand why they didn't play him more. He even scored a fair few goals when he did play. :confused:

Suits Swansea's team/style perfect, they need to sign him permanently.

He was brilliant for Reading as well. Didn't surpise me when a club like Hoffenheim bought him (although the £7m price raised eyebrows) - I just don't understand why they didn't play him more. He even scored a fair few goals when he did play. :confused:

Suits Swansea's team/style perfect' date=' they need to sign him permanently.[/quote']

Yeah, he was Reading's stand-out back then. I thought more people would've seen him back then. Him and Dorrans were running the NPC riot with WBA and Reading, respectively.

Hoffenhiem didn't play him because their manager upto January of 2012, didn't get along with him and felt he didn't suit their system. However, their new manager wants him back and has said he's going to be an integral part of their squad.

That said, I hope he stays in the EPL. He's a younger Lampard in my view. :D

That said' date=' I hope he stays in the EPL. He's a younger Lampard in my view. :D[/quote']

Think that is a bit extreme, im not a fan of Fat Frank for obvious reasons but I highly doubt any midfielder will ever beat/match his record. As much as I personally dislike him you have to respect his achievements. Gylfi will never be anywhere near the player Frank was.

Think this thread is going way OTT on Gylfi :o

Think that is a bit extreme' date=' im not a fan of Fat Frank for obvious reasons but I highly doubt any midfielder will ever beat/match his record. As much as I personally dislike him you have to respect his achievements. Gylfi will never be anywhere near the player Frank was.

Think this thread is going way OTT on Gylfi :o[/quote']

Obviously, I wasn't trying to say he was 'the next Fat Frank', I was trying to say his approach and style of play is similar to that of Lamps from a few seasons back. Clearly didn't elaborate on my point in that post, but I hope that clears it up.

United should win the league. City did well today, but it's probably fair to say Norwich collapsed after the third went in.

Obviously' date=' I wasn't trying to say he was 'the next Fat Frank', I was trying to say his approach and style of play is similar to that of Lamps from a few seasons back. Clearly didn't elaborate on my point in that post, but I hope that clears it up.

United should win the league. City did well today, but it's probably fair to say Norwich collapsed after the third went in.[/quote']

I know I just wanted to emphatically hammer the point home :P

If I only I could be bothered to go back through the archives I always said Tevez was City's best striker.....have him fit and firing and the guy is pure class. Mind you i do have a soft spot for strikers of his mould the likes of Suarez, Lavezzi etc.

Cant see United dropping any points bar the City game but I think Villa will get a hammering tomorrow, anyway who cares about the Premiership :P

This Sigurdsson lad is an amazing talent. I'd love to see him stay at Liberty next season :)

So would i :)

Suits Swansea's team/style perfect' date=' they need to sign him permanently.[/quote']

He was very good at Reading, i myself was suprised at how much was paid for him considering it was his first season of regular first team football. As for why he didn't play, i don't think he got on well with the manager but there were other factors. The emergence of Roberto Firmino's talent left him playing in that role and he'd been doing really well for them whilst Gylfi did pick up an injury which meant he wasn't fully match fit when he joined us. It was suprising considering i think he scored over 20 goals for them last season, but it's to our benefit.

A few weeks ago before he got the Premier League POTM, despite playing well and scoring goals it looked like we had a very chance of signing him for something around the £5 million mark, but i don't think we have a chance now to be honest. He does suit our style of play really well though, good passer of the ball and he's what we needed, a player from midfield who's able to chip in with the goals.

And he gets another .. I wonder how he'd fare at Centre Forward :D

He's fine in attacking midfield thanks :rolleyes:

Yeah' date=' he was Reading's stand-out back then. I thought more people would've seen him back then. Him and Dorrans were running the NPC riot with WBA and Reading, respectively.

Hoffenhiem didn't play him because their manager upto January of 2012, didn't get along with him and felt he didn't suit their system. However, their new manager wants him back and has said he's going to be an integral part of their squad.

That said, I hope he stays in the EPL. He's a younger Lampard in my view. :D[/quote']

I don't think he run riot, he was a great player in the Championship and Reading's best player, but bear in mind you had the likes of Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll scoring lots of goals for Newcastle as well.

I don't think he'll be at Hoffeinheim next season. Yes, there's a change in managers, and yes the manager has said he wants him, but he's said he's loving it in the Premier League and he's said he's loving playing for Swansea. If he wants to stay with us, i'll be delighted, i'm not sure he will but i think he'll end up in the Premier League.

As for the Lampard comparison, i suppose there's an element of that but i don't think he's a Frank Lampard type attacking midfielder. He's scored 3 of his 8 goals in side the box being Frank Lampard type of goals, but the other 5 and the majority of his goals have been scored from distance.

I'll have you know that Frank Lampard had a loan spell at Swansea in his younger days as well though :)

As for the game, aside from Sigurdsson. Great win for us, that more or less mathematically keeps us up, we're definatly safe. It seemed like we were playing a Championship side in Blackburn, yes they have got players who have got Premier League quality in Hoilett and Yakubu but they were nowhere to seen. After the first Gylfi goal, they decided sitting back and hanging on to a 1-0 loss was the best thing for them. They were poor defensively, poor tactically and poor going forward.

The three goals were fantastic. Great strike from Gylfi for the first. The second was typical Swansea, probably my favourite. Sinclair passes when in a goalscoring opportunity to Graham when in a goalscoring opportunity passes to Dyer who finishes - defining our style of player really. Sinclair had a fantastic run for the third goal before cutting it back to Gylfi, Sinclair was my MOTM today - back to his very best.