Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Paul Tisdale has rejected the offer to manage Swansea twice' date=' before Sousa and Rodgers were appointed. Somehow I don't think they'll be back a 3rd time :o

Also rejected Southampton before Pardew took charge.

How times change.. :P[/quote']

I certainly hope we don't go in for him :P Fair play to him though, he has been very loyal to Exeter despite possible moves to bigger clubs in higher divisions with more transfer funds for higher wages.

I dont mind the Criticism' date=' because at the end of the day we are stoke city and we play how we want :P [b']I just wouldnt feel like a stoke supporter anymore if Tony Pulis suddenly changed formation to 4-3-3 wingers with Whelan, Palacios and Whitehead in the middle and something like Walters, Crouch and Etherington up front haha[/b] :P

Really? :o

That's an awful way to describe Stoke City, as you're basically saying that Stoke are synonymous with negative hoofball. As Stuart said, any impartial football fan would prefer to watch Swansea than Stoke City. Fair play for doing it and succeeding, but god it's boring.

You obviously don't understand how important a role Leon Britton plays for us' date=' there's many reasons why Leon Britton's passing is so good. It's not as simple as passing the ball 5 yards, he's often got to get the ball when we are in danger of losing possesion and is being pressured and 94% of the time he'll find his man. He'd the player who keeps us ticking, arguably our most important players last season and would be completely wasted and unappreciated at Stoke City just like he was at Sheffield United.[/quote']

Yes, I fully understand the role Leon Britton plays, he plays the Xavi role :P

At stoke he wouldnt get that 94% stat because most of the time he probably wouldnt find peter crouch ;)

Really? :o

That's an awful way to describe Stoke City' date=' as you're basically saying that Stoke are synonymous with negative hoofball. As Stuart said, any impartial football fan would prefer to watch Swansea than Stoke City. Fair play for doing it and succeeding, but god it's boring.[/quote']

As you fully well no, I am saying I am just use to the long ball game, so theres no need to highlight what I said and make me look stupid.

Most fans would prefer to watch Swansea than Stoke, most people no that so theres no need to go over it again, and it you think its boring then its your opinion :)

He'd the player who keeps us ticking' date=' arguably our most important players last season and would be completely wasted and unappreciated at Stoke City just like he was at Sheffield United.[/quote']

He wasn't unappreciated by any but the manager, you could tell he was a quality player. Always happy to get the ball and never misplaced a pass, shame we were managed by Kevin Blackwell when he signed who had turned us into even worse hoofers than under Warnock.

Yes' date=' I fully understand the role Leon Britton plays, he plays the Xavi role :P

At stoke he wouldnt get that 94% stat because most of the time he probably wouldnt find peter crouch ;)[/quote']

He doesn't neccesarily play the Xavi role, we're not completely modelling our game on Barcelona, we play a similar style but we've never looked to emulate them. Leon Britton is deployed with far more defensive duties then Xavi has for example.

Of course he wouldn't get that 94% stat at Stoke, he'd just see the ball flying over his head all the time and be lucky to be given the ball by a team mate.

He wasn't unappreciated by any but the manager' date=' you could tell he was a quality player. Always happy to get the ball and never misplaced a pass, shame we were managed by Kevin Blackwell when he signed who had turned us into even worse hoofers than under Warnock.[/quote']

Well i watched him once or twice when he was at Sheffield United, and although he did look good he wasn't playing in his normal role. He was attacking an awful lot, and Leon Britton can't shoot. Your style of play and tactics meant that you never got anywhere near the best out of Leon Britton.

He doesn't neccesarily play the Xavi role' date=' we're not completely modelling our game on Barcelona, we play a similar style but we've never looked to emulate them. Leon Britton is deployed with far more defensive duties then Xavi has for example.

Of course he wouldn't get that 94% stat at Stoke, he'd just see the ball flying over his head all the time and be lucky to be given the ball by a team mate.

Well i watched him once or twice when he was at Sheffield United, and although he did look good he wasn't playing in his normal role. He was attacking an awful lot, and Leon Britton can't shoot. Your style of play and tactics meant that you never got anywhere near the best out of Leon Britton.[/quote']

Not being funny but statistics like that one for Leon Britton mean naff all in the real world. Yes he is competent on th ball but just because he has a higher pass success rate than some of the Genuine World's top midfielders means nothing really. When most of your passes are square and back it is easy to have a high pass completion rate, look at full backs in most sides there rates are seriously high.

Dont get me wrong he is a decent player but a much more useful guide is the total number of incisive passes, ones that lead to a goalscoring opportunity, killer through balls, spreading the play quickly to initiate counter attacks.

This is nothing against Leon but in general with Statistics, statistics can always be whittled out but a lot of the tiome statistics are not the be all and end all, statistics are just a guide but statistics will never really be the best guide as it cant factor in all the invariables that go with football and being a top top player.

For the record I like Britton and admire anyguy who has spent his whole footballing life trawling the lower leagues with the same club and he should be rightly proud of his achievements, my point is that statistics in general arent that great a measure, yes they serve a purpose to an extent but they arent the be all and end all.

EDIT: he wouldnbt get a 9.4% success rate at Stoke, I admire Pullis (know others hate him) and by all means they are entitled to play to there strengths and it is others problem if that count counter it, although like you say People have started to work out Stoke a bit in terms of defending long-throws etc

Not being funny but statistics like that one for Leon Britton mean naff all in the real world. Yes he is competent on th ball but just because he has a higher pass success rate than some of the Genuine World's top midfielders means nothing really. When most of your passes are square and back it is easy to have a high pass completion rate' date=' look at full backs in most sides there rates are seriously high.

Dont get me wrong he is a decent player but a much more useful guide is the total number of incisive passes, ones that lead to a goalscoring opportunity, killer through balls, spreading the play quickly to initiate counter attacks.

This is nothing against Leon but in general with Statistics, statistics can always be whittled out but a lot of the tiome statistics are not the be all and end all, statistics are just a guide but statistics will never really be the best guide as it cant factor in all the invariables that go with football and being a top top player.

For the record I like Britton and admire anyguy who has spent his whole footballing life trawling the lower leagues with the same club and he should be rightly proud of his achievements, my point is that statistics in general arent that great a measure, yes they serve a purpose to an extent but they arent the be all and end all.

EDIT: he wouldnbt get a 9.4% success rate at Stoke, I admire Pullis (know others hate him) and by all means they are entitled to play to there strengths and it is others problem if that count counter it, although like you say People have started to work out Stoke a bit in terms of defending long-throws etc[/quote']

Well it does mean something, as it shows he's effective at his role on the pitch. It doesn't mean he's a world class player, or as good as Xavi, but i never said that he was, i'm just saying he is very important to us. His role with us isn't to make killer through balls, so that sort of a statistic wouldn't be a good indication of how good Leon Britton is at his job for us. His role is simply to pass the ball to another Swansea City shirt, to keep the ball moving, to reduce opposition pressure on the ball, to keep us on the ball and the opposition of it and to build up patient attacks.

You'll understand the job of that sort of a player next season ;)

Talks with us and Graeme Jones have broken down, current betting odds:

Ian Holloway - 24/5

Graeme Jones - 7/1

Gus Poyet - 8/1

Michael Laudrup - 17/2

Jose Ramon Sandoval - 12/1

I think it's pretty much just guess work from the bookies at the moment, no body is the clear favourite but these are the five names within reason and at low odds. Jones price is going to keep on falling, Laudrup went low a few days ago but has now stabilised.

Norwich betting odds:

Chris Hughton - 7/2

Malky Mackay - 19/5

Steve Bruce - 5/1

Lee Clark - 8/1

Mark Robins - 12/1

Malky Mackay and Chris Hughton seems the favourites for the job. I think it'll be Mackay due to his playing days at Norwich.

West Brom betting odds:

Ralf Ragnick - 13/20

Chris Hughton - 5/1

Andre Villas-Boas - 33/1

Michael Appleton - 33/1

Ian Holloway - 33/1

Far more clear cut in the betting odds, it's either going to Ragnick or Hughton and it's looking like it's going to be Ragnick. Managed a lot of the top clubs in Germany, so quiet a big name in management for West Brom to be going for.

Bad news for you ey Jack ?

Rodgers said he will go for Gyfli ?

:o

Came a little out of the blue' date=' missing out on him would be another blow[/quote']

He said that he would originally encourage him to join Swansea, but if the player doesn't want to join us then he'd go for him. If he doesn't want to join us then he's going to go somewhere in any case, so it still looks positive that if he's true to his word that Rodgers will encourage Gylfi to join us.

Still, got to wait and see what happens. If we don't sign him, then it's not the end of the world as we still have £7 million to spend on that sort of player.

Rodgers will have bigger priorities then to sign Sigurdsson at Liverpool as he's already got Gerrard, Cole and Aqualani as attacking midfield players and his biggest priority will be to sign a winger.

He said that he would originally encourage him to join Swansea' date=' but if the player doesn't want to join us then he'd go for him. If he doesn't want to join us then he's going to go somewhere in any case, so it still looks positive that if he's true to his word that Rodgers will encourage Gylfi to join us.

Still, got to wait and see what happens. If we don't sign him, then it's not the end of the world as we still have £7 million to spend on that sort of player.[/quote']

Thats quite good to hear, In the interview Rodgers had for 'Pool you hear him speak of his relationship with your chairman, seems a honest kind of guy. That being said, Glyfi now knows of Liverpools interest and has by all accounts a great working relationship with Rodgers. I fully expect him to go to Liverpool but fingers crossed he goes to you guys.

Correct it would leave you with a bit of money but in him you have a player who you know fits in with your style of play and who has done fantastically with you. Far less of a risk than other players, but its not the end of the world.

Thats quite good to hear' date=' In the interview Rodgers had for 'Pool you hear him speak of his relationship with your chairman, seems a honest kind of guy. That being said, Glyfi now knows of Liverpools interest and has by all accounts a great working relationship with Rodgers. I fully expect him to go to Liverpool but fingers crossed he goes to you guys.

Correct it would leave you with a bit of money but in him you have a player who you know fits in with your style of play and who has done fantastically with you. Far less of a risk than other players, but its not the end of the world.[/quote']

If he does join us, then i really wouldn't have a bad word to say about Rodgers but i probably would should he join Liverpool, just hope he doesn't.

I think Gylfi is a good guy, he likes living down here and got on well with the team last year. He knows that if he goes to Liverpool, he's not guaranteed regular first team football so i still think he's more likely to go to us then he is to them (bearing in mind we have agreed a transfer fee and personal terms), don't know what he's doing on holiday at the minute when everyone's in suspense though :P

He doesn't neccesarily play the Xavi role' date=' we're not completely modelling our game on Barcelona, we play a similar style but we've never looked to emulate them. Leon Britton is deployed with far more defensive duties then Xavi has for example.

[/quote']

It will be interesting to see how he does next season with his passing, somehow I dont think he will have as good of stats.

You implying that all of our team fly balls past eachothers heads are wrong, Normally its our full backs, Ryan Shawcross and our wingers who play the ball up, although Rory Delap helps with that with his throws, Im not going mention him because you might compare him to 'Phil the power taylor' again.

EDIT: he wouldnbt get a 9.4% success rate at Stoke' date=' I admire Pullis (know others hate him) and by all means they are entitled to play to there strengths and it is others problem if that count counter it, although like you say People have started to work out Stoke a bit in terms of defending long-throws etc[/quote']

Not to sure if that was meant to say 94% or you put 9.4% down as sarcasm, but I agree with you on the bottom couple of lines, clubs have got use to us, and they should of as we have been in the premiership now about 4 seasons.

We didnt score as many from throws last season, Like I said the other day theres no saying we will always have a long throw in taker, Delap is getting Old and we have better options than Shotton.

Disagree with what a guy put yesterday about we should be looking towards Europe now, Look at Wigan, they have been in the premiership about seven seasons now and they are still battling against relegation, getting 40 points on the board is the main priority, but once we have done that we should be pushing on getting as many points as possible.

It will be interesting to see how he does next season with his passing' date=' somehow I dont think he will have as good of stats.

You implying that all of our team fly balls past eachothers heads are wrong, Normally its our full backs, Ryan Shawcross and our wingers who play the ball up, although Rory Delap helps with that with his throws, Im not going mention him because you might compare him to 'Phil the power taylor' again.[/quote']

It may not be that high, it may be higher. I think he'll get 90%+ passing accuracy and i don't see what will be different this season from last season.

Well Leon Britton, being a centre midfielder, would see the ball flying over his heads from defenders hitting the ball long. Your centre midfielders have very little impact on games in comparison to your centre-backs, strikers and wingers.

If he does join us' date=' then i really wouldn't have a bad word to say about Rodgers but i probably would should he join Liverpool, just hope he doesn't.

I think Gylfi is a good guy, he likes living down here and got on well with the team last year. He knows that if he goes to Liverpool, he's not guaranteed regular first team football so i still think he's more likely to go to us then he is to them (bearing in mind we have agreed a transfer fee and personal terms), don't know what he's doing on holiday at the minute when everyone's in suspense though :P[/quote']

I'd expect Gylfi to sign for Liverpool, from what Rodgers said he forced Swansea's board to make a bid and that Gylfi only came to Swansea because Rodgers was the manager and now that he's moved he's gonna ask Gylfi if he still wants to go, if he doesn't no doubt Liverpool will make a bid. You also need to bear in mind that just because you have agreed a transfer and personal terms doesn't guarantee you a player, and now that things have changed I believe he will stall and wait for Liverpool to make a bid. Heck Eden Hazard had a transfer fee and personal terms agreed with 3 Teams. Rodgers will fit him in somewhere and Glyfi owes his rise in prominence to Rodgers. With everything that's happening, with there relationship and everything I'd put good money on him signing for Liverpool.

It may not be that high' date=' it may be higher. I think he'll get 90%+ passing accuracy and i don't see what will be different this season from last season.

Well Leon Britton, being a centre midfielder, would see the ball flying over his heads from defenders hitting the ball long. Your centre midfielders have very little impact on games in comparison to your centre-backs, strikers and wingers.[/quote']

You might not think so, but I think Swansea will find it a lot more difficult than they did last season in the premier league. (11-12)

In fact, I think it will be more difficult for the majority of teams, I dont think there will ever be 9 points seperating 15th and 16th.

Perhaps Leon Britton might get 90% or more on the ball, but the reason I think he might not get as good of stats is because the games will be more difficult, although he will still beable find short passes on the other hand.

Yes I agree, our centre backs, Wingers and Forwards have more of a impact on the game than Whelan, Whitehead or Palacios do, but the central midfielders still have a key part to play I.E when other teams are on the break, all squad members play their part when on the pitch.

You might not think so' date=' but I think Swansea will find it a lot more difficult than they did last season in the premier league. (11-12)

In fact, I think it will be more difficult for the majority of teams, I dont think there will ever be 9 points seperating 15th and 16th.

Perhaps Leon Britton might get 90% or more on the ball, but the reason I think he might not get as good of stats is because the games will be more difficult, although he will still beable find short passes on the other hand.

Yes I agree, our centre backs, Wingers and Forwards have more of a impact on the game than Whelan, Whitehead or Palacios do, but the central midfielders still have a key part to play I.E when other teams are on the break, all squad members play their part when on the pitch.[/quote']

Well it was more difficult last season, because it was our first season in the Premier League, we didn't spend as much money as we are able to at the moment and couldn't attract as good players as we currently can. Yes we've lost our manager, but i don't really see anything to support that we are more likely to go down this season then we were last season. We were favourite to go down last season and this season we're 6th/7th favourite to go down.

Leon Britton is going to be able to play his natural game, whoever he is up against. He's done it against Man. United, Man. City and all the top teams last season so he'll be able to do it against Reading, Southampton and believe it or not 'anywhere'll do' West Ham United.

Well it was more difficult last season' date=' because it was our first season in the Premier League, we didn't spend as much money as we are able to at the moment and couldn't attract as good players as we currently can. Yes we've lost our manager, but i don't really see anything to support that we are more likely to go down this season then we were last season. We were favourite to go down last season and this season we're 6th/7th favourite to go down.

[/quote']

Come on mate , it is quite obvious that it is likely that you won't do as well this season. I hope you will still be able to play your attracting football and hopefully keep Siggurdson as well as attract a few bigger names. The fact that you lost Rodgers is a quite a big blow, I reckon he was the key to your attracting football ( Hopefully I am wrong cos I love Swansea ). Ian deserves the Swansea job the most in my opinion and his style suits Swansea as well :)

Well it was more difficult last season' date=' because it was our first season in the Premier League, we didn't spend as much money as we are able to at the moment and couldn't attract as good players as we currently can. Yes we've lost our manager, but i don't really see anything to support that we are more likely to go down this season then we were last season. We were favourite to go down last season and this season we're 6th/7th favourite to go down.

Leon Britton is going to be able to play his natural game, whoever he is up against. He's done it against Man. United, Man. City and all the top teams last season so he'll be able to do it against Reading, Southampton and believe it or not 'anywhere'll do' West Ham United.[/quote']

Good point, It was your first season in the prem so it was always going be hard, I just mean you did well and the three teams who come up will be stronger than the three teams who have got relegated to the championship.

Brendan was a great manager, but im sure somebody will come in and do well, im sure you will keep the 4-3-3 formation because its good to watch and they didnt do bad with it, it was good to see a team come up and have a real go at teams rather than sitting back most of the time.

Bringing relegation and to stay up odds to mind I decided go on william hill just look if theres any decent odds, talking of relegation Swansea are 6th/7th to stay up, If you fancy a bet on stoke to get relegated we are 8/1 :P (We wont get relegated so I wouldnt bother)

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/295/English-Premier-League.html

I wasnt saying you will get relegated or anything anyway really, just meant it will be harder, thats all, On a serious note, who do you think will get relegated? I think Wigan and Norwich will go with either Qpr or West Ham.

Come on mate ' date=' it is quite obvious that it is likely that you won't do as well this season. I hope you will still be able to play your attracting football and hopefully keep Siggurdson as well as attract a few bigger names. The fact that you lost Rodgers is a quite a big blow, I reckon he was the key to your attracting football ( Hopefully I am wrong cos I love Swansea ). Ian deserves the Swansea job the most in my opinion and his style suits Swansea as well :)[/quote']

Surely the players are the key to the passing style?

Think Swansea will be fine as the players are to clever to let the "second season syndrome" affect them.

Hope so they were a breathe of fresh air last season:)

Come on mate ' date=' it is quite obvious that it is likely that you won't do as well this season. I hope you will still be able to play your attracting football and hopefully keep Siggurdson as well as attract a few bigger names. The fact that you lost Rodgers is a quite a big blow, [b']I reckon he was the key to your attracting football ( Hopefully I am wrong cos I love Swansea )[/b]. Ian deserves the Swansea job the most in my opinion and his style suits Swansea as well :)

You couldn't be more wrong. We played this style of football before Rodgers, we started in in 2007 under Roberto Martinez, three years before Rodgers took over as the clubs manager. Here's us playing against Fulham (higher league opposition) back under Roberto Martinez and long before Rodgers was appointed as manager;

U9JGPBrDgLQ

He's not that big of a blow at Lambert is to Norwich, Lambert is a far bigger reason for why they are where they are today whilst Rodgers is very much replacable, we will replace him with a coach who likes to pass and will be up to filling his shoes.

Ian Holloway doesn't deserve the job, and his style of football doesn't suit us well. We wouldn't be where we are if it was for although his attractive style of football, his lack of tactics and media outbursts.

Out of nowhere Marcel Desailly has appeared as the bookies favourite for the job, couple of supposed sightings with the Swansea City chairman leading to everyone chucking money on him.

Marcel Desailly - 4/1

Ian Holloway - 49/10

Graeme Jones - 63/10

Gus Poyet - 7/1

Michael Laudrup - 8/1

Norwich's betting odds:

Chris Hughton - 51/25

Malky Mackay - 49/10

Steve Bruce - 34/5

Lee Clark - 15/2

Mark Robins - 12/1

Since earlier today Chris Hughton is emerging and more and more as the favourite for the job.

West Brom's betting odds:

Ralf Ragnick - 53/50

Chris Hughton - 2/1

Andre Villas Boas - 29/1

Michael Laudrup - 31/1

Michael Appleton - 33/1

Since earlier today Ragnick has gone right down with the bookies, and with some bookies Hughton is the favourite for the job. I can't see Birmingham surviving this managerial merry-go-round with Chris Hughton remaining as their manager to be honest.

Is Ben Foster going to sign a perm contract with West Brom? Pretty sure there was a clause saying that if Birmingham failed to get promoted he would. But heard that they are interested in the services of Robert Green now.

Is Ben Foster going to sign a perm contract with West Brom? Pretty sure there was a clause saying that if Birmingham failed to get promoted he would. But heard that they are interested in the services of Robert Green now.

If he doesn't sign permanantly for West Brom, he'll join a bigger club. He was West Brom's best player last season and it would be a big blow for West Brom to lose Foster, even if they replaced him with Craig Gordon or Robert Green.