bcfc12345

Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

The thing about City is that despite the huge sums of money they spend, they only buy good players but not amazing. I mean apart from Tevez and Silva, City haven't bought any real players who could turn a game on its head. De Jong, Toure, Adebayor, Kolarov, Toure, Santa Cruz, Boateng, Barry and Vieira. None of them players could really change a game, but some might put in a solid performance. City should be trying to sign top players who we know can perfrom at the top level and until then they wont be guaranteed a top four finish imo.

I hope the bring in a rules for homegrown englishman in then Man City' date=' Liverpool, Chelsea and kinda Arsenal will be stuffed and Man Utd will be laughing.[/quote']

doubt it especially with arsenal youth of english :P

I am geniunely excited about maybe seeing new players who I have not really seen play before, such as David Silva, Jerome Boateng, Yaya Toure, Pablo Barrera, Thomas Hitzlsperger and others who have and will join Premier League clubs. With clubs as they are, I think the league will finish something like this:

1. Manchester United

2. Liverpool

3. Chelsea

---------------------

4. Arsenal

---------------------

5. Tottenham

---------------------

6. Manchester City

7. Aston Villa

8. Everton

9. West Ham

10. Sunderland

11. Blackburn

12. Fulham

13. Birmingham

14. Stoke

15. Wigan

16. Bolton

17. Newcastle

---------------------

18. Wolves

19. West Brom

20. Blackpool

I think that Manchester United will win the Premier League as they have more depth than the other sides, and I think Liverpool will be a close second with Roy Hodgson at the helm and with some good players, if not he has the mangerial acumen to turn around their fortunes. Overall, I think the "Big Four" as an entity is stronger than it was last season, when they many have become weaker and hence why we saw Liverpool having a poor season and the other three generally dropping points a lot more.

I think that Manchester United will win the FA Cup and one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Aston Villa or Everton will win the Carling Cup.

Now the main point of my post is not so much to talk about league predictions because it is far too soon to do that. I want to talk about the new rule that has been introduced this season, which states that all teams must have a squad of 25 players, of which 8 must be "home grown" now this was supposedly meant to counter what the FA think is an increasing influx of foreign talent and a decline in England's pool - or rather, "slightly moist puddle", as I like to view it - of talent. I do not view this as a step forwards because it handicaps quite a few teams in several ways but I also don't agree because there are several loopholes in the rule:

• The most obvious one is that "home-grown" simply means that that player has to have trained with an English or Welsh side (or multiple side) for three years prior to thier 21st birthday. That means players like Fabregas, N'Zogbia and Clichy are all "home-grown" and in one or two years time players like Macheda, Kakuta, Borini and others will all become home-grown so it means that the plan of getting more English players playing backfires a bit.
  • If a team does actually have to go out and buy English players to fill their quota, then there is no obligation for these players to actually play. And if they do, who is to say they will not be out of their depth in the Premier League? If you can't cut it at 17, when you'd have gone through the academy and would be in the reserves, it is unlikely you will improve drastically and become Premier League quality. I understand that at 17 you won't be as good as a player in his mid 20s or so and is at the fittest state he will ever be in his footballing career and life, but there is a significant difference between a 17 year old playing like a typical 17 year old and a 17 year old that is clearly out of their depth and won't cut it in the Premier League. This means you could get a lot more situations like the 2009 allegations of tapping up in English football
  • There is another little problem with this new ruling. A good example to use to demonstrate this is Scott Sutter. If you don't know him he was born in Enfield in north London and lived in Potter's Bar (just outside London) until he was 16, when he decided to move to Switzerland to pursue a football career. He played for Grasshoppers before moving to BSC Young Boys where he is now a regular first teamer there. They finished second behind Basel and qualified for the Champions League third qualifying round (the same round that Celtic qualified for). He is now 24 and even though he has lived in Switzerland for 8 years and actually represented their U21 side he has stated he wants to represent England at senior level. Now that's all good and well but he no longer qualifies as a home grown player because between the ages of 16-21 when you get a professional contract he was playing outside of England and Wales. I think this brings about two problems: Because he plays outside of the UK, however well he plays it is unlikely he will be noticed (and he played almost every game for BSC Young Boys last season). The other issue is that if an English player is sent out on loan to a club abroad, it jeopardises their status as a home-grown player (although they can still train at the English club for the three required years) and I don't see a lot of teams having more than 8 or 9 home grown players. It means that going on loan abroad, where you can play in a much better environment than the poor coaching on offer here, can have a negative effect. Because it is much better to go on loan to a team like Le Mans, Charleroi, NEC, Genk, Auxerre, Roda - or in general, teams in the bottom half of leagues in and around that level - than to go to a team like Brentford, Grimsby, Rotherham etc where you don't get to play against top class players, which is good practise for later on in your career.

If you ask me I am neutralistic on the subject of foreigners in the league. If managers wish to buy a team full of foreigners they should be allowed to do so, likewise if a manager wants only Englishman in his side. I also think the problem goes back to poor coaching before joining a club, where skill and technique are to this day still frowned upon and waved away in favour of strength.

That's my two cents on the matter.

Redknapp says Tottenham can win the title this season. Not much chance of that happening' date=' in my opinion. I think they best they can get is 3rd or 4th.[/quote']

Im a Yid myself i think that is a bit optimistic. :P I do think we can do well but having only signed Sandro yet this season its a bold statement to say we can be title contendors. I do honeslty believe we could have another great season, but now with CL games, fitness could become an issue in our squad. We need to make more signings to bulk up our squad, as atm there is not too much depth. If we do want to push on in the CL then we need better back up as relying on the same team week in week out, will eventually back fire when they tire out. We need a few more experienced defneders for sure, and 1/2 more midfielders would'nt go a miss either.

Im really looking forward to this year, and I am hoping we can get something good out of it too. Harry needs to get busy though, we wont be contending if we stay as we are. I do, however, believe we can finish in the top four again if we set our minds to it and pull through. With a few more signings then who knows.. Its make or break this year, we will either have a terrific season or a very mediocre one.

Redknapp says Tottenham can win the title this season. Not much chance of that happening' date=' in my opinion. I think they best they can get is 3rd or 4th.[/quote']

now that he's said that , he will do a benitez...

Martin Jol has turned down Fulham.

Really want Stuart Holden to succed but rather annoyed as he is not American infact he is from Aberdeen.

They homegrown rule is not the best because as Toro de Libano has explained , what the point of it when you can have so many forigners counting as homegrown it ruins the purpose

Martin Jol has turned down Fulham.

Really want Stuart Holden to succed but rather annoyed as he is not American infact he is from Aberdeen.

They homegrown rule is not the best because as Toro de Libano has explained ' date=' what the point of it when you can have so many forigners counting as homegrown it ruins the purpose[/b']

Yay! Someone read my post! :D

It ruins the purpose and it ruins the league too if the players cannot cope. If those players can cope then we know the standard of the EPL would have dropped and the whole thing will have gained nothing, but the FA will argue that more English players are playing and will deem it a success, which it wouldm't be by any stretch of the imagination if those players can't cope on a European or Internation level vs foreign players.

some people will be surprised how est ham does this season especially now there adding alot to their squad.. hitlzsperger (spelling) will do amazing for them

some people will be surprised how est ham does this season especially now there adding alot to their squad.. hitlzsperger (spelling) will do amazing for them

west Ham are being over hypped never a top 10 side this season

Top 10 for West Ham is possible.

I'm just trying to figure out who'll they will play in the central midfield slots, due to Noble, Parker, Der Hammer and Collison.

I can see Behrami and Barrera on the wings. if they get Remy, it will be him and Cole up front. Clerc at right back, Tomkins and Upson at centre jalf and Ben Haim at left back. Diamanti will most likely be on the ebcnh, but he's a talent, one of the most under-rated wingers in the PL.

if they get Remy

arsenal are trying to get him now that eduardo is gone

reports today ^^

some people dont rate remy highly because theyve some bad youtube vids of him or whatever , but ive seen him 5 or 6 times and he's actually really good , i would prefer him than walcott on right wing

arsenal are trying to get him now that eduardo is gone

reports today ^^

some people dont rate remy highly because theyve some bad youtube vids of him or whatever ' date=' but ive seen him 5 or 6 times and he's actually really good , i would prefer him than walcott on right wing[/quote']

Thats why I said if;)

Thats why I said if;)

ye i know ;) , he would easily take over walcotts place..

some people may disagree but walcott is really terrible at times but then is good some games he doesnt perform enough..

if he performed every time like he did against barca in the champs league then i would like him loll :P

ye i know ;) ' date=' he would easily take over walcotts place..

some people may disagree but walcott is really terrible at times but then is good some games he doesnt perform enough..

if he performed every time like he did against barca in the champs league then i would like him loll :P[/quote']

Thing is with Remy, there are 3 sides after him, and he has not said which one he weants to join which slightly worries me, because from wher I see it he does not seem like a loyal player.

west Ham are being over hypped never a top 10 side this season

Completely, it's just a tight divison and realistically they'll need to complete with the likes of Sunderland, Fulham & Birmingham to get a chance of a top 10 finish this season.

Hitzelberger wont do too well for me, he'll find it hard to get in the squad with the likes of Parker, Noble & Collison.

Thing is with Remy' date=' there are 3 sides after him, and he has not said which one he weants to join which slightly worries me, because from wher I see it he does not seem like a loyal player.[/quote']

he's always said he supports arsenal since he was a child :)

I think he's just holding out for the highest wages whilst his club are holding out for the highest bids.

if he does come that would be another frenchie at our team lol

Arsenal = French Team lol?