Official Premier League Discussion Thread

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

I heard the NOTW have footage of him agreeing to throw the game against Utd to improve their goal difference. He jumped before he was exposed. Apparently the agreed fee was a few strokes of a certain part of SAFs anatomy :eek:

Lol after watching that game it has got an element of truth to it :P

I heard the NOTW have footage of him agreeing to throw the game against Utd to improve their goal difference. He jumped before he was exposed. Apparently the agreed fee was a few strokes of a certain part of SAFs anatomy :eek:

Where did you hear that? I don't see why the News of the World would wait to release the story if it was true.

Where did you hear that? I don't see why the News of the World would wait to release the story if it was true.

Sorry mate, that post was a little tongue-in-cheek (although I'm surprised the arranged fee didn't give that away) :P

Apparently Sam had designs on getting a good transfer kitty in January, which clearly wasn't forthcoming. There's been murmurings in the press since the new owners came on board and it hasn't really surprised me :)

PS I hope I didn't clog up the NOTW website :D

Sorry mate' date=' that post was a little tongue-in-cheek (although I'm surprised the arranged fee didn't give that away) :P

Apparently Sam had designs on getting a good transfer kitty in January, which clearly wasn't forthcoming. There's been murmurings in the press since the new owners came on board and it hasn't really surprised me :)

PS I hope I didn't clog up the NOTW website :D[/quote']

It shows my views on Big Sam that I took it seriously! I really don't like him and that isn't because of his time at Newcastle. He is so full of himself (see his comments about Inter Milan and Real Madrid) when all he has achieved is doing well on limited budgets. He deserves credit for that but really it isn't something to merit getting the England job or tob jobs in Europe. The way he sets his teams up to play isn't that good either. He has been playing 5-4-1 at lot this season. :confused:

It shows my views on Big Sam that I took it seriously! I really don't like him and that isn't because of his time at Newcastle. He is so full of himself (see his comments about Inter Milan and Real Madrid) when all he has achieved is doing well on limited budgets. He deserves credit for that but really it isn't something to merit getting the England job or tob jobs in Europe. The way he sets his teams up to play isn't that good either. He has been playing 5-4-1 at lot this season. :confused:

They have good defenders and poor strikers, not one of their strikers is a decent goalscorer so I can see why he didn't want to play 2 of them!

Guest JackWWFC

How is he a great manager? He has never won anything :rolleyes:

And him throwing the game was a joke.

A lot of managers are great and havn't won anything.

He isn't a great manager though, he is just good if he has minimal resources.

A lot of managers are great and havn't won anything.

He isn't a great manager though' date=' he is just good if he has minimal resources.[/quote']

Suppose that boils down to a individual interpretation, that being said, in my eyes, a manager isnt great unless he wins something. But i understand your point, he has done nothing to prove he is a great manager.

Suppose that boils down to a individual interpretation' date=' that being said, in my eyes, a manager isnt great unless he wins something. But i understand your point, he has done nothing to prove he is a great manager.[/quote']

I disagree about a manager having to win something to be classed as 'good/great'.

Alardyce isn't a great manager though. Quite the opposite in my eyes. Maybe biased but still. He took Bolton as far as he could, not as far as Bolton can go. Has done nothing since, like with Newcastle. Not really his fault as no manager will do that well with Ashley as a boss. Blackburn; made them worse, if anything.

I disagree about a manager having to win something to be classed as 'good/great'.

Alardyce isn't a great manager though. Quite the opposite in my eyes. Maybe biased but still. He took Bolton as far as he could' date=' not as far as Bolton can go. Has done nothing since, like with Newcastle. Not really his fault as no manager will do that well with Ashley as a boss. Blackburn; made them worse, if anything.[/quote']

Its down to individual interpretations like i said. I just dont dish out compliments for doing naff all :D:p

I dont even want to call him a good manager, i just think he is effective at being mediocre.

Guest JackWWFC

Sam Allardyce is a great manager. He's one of the few managers around that can almost guarentee a side will stay in the Premiership' date=' no matter how poor they are. The football's not always pretty, but it sure is effective.[/quote']

His Ex- Bolton squad & Blackburn squad should on paper, be top 10.

Sam Allardyce is a great manager. He's one of the few managers around that can almost guarentee a side will stay in the Premiership' date=' no matter how poor they are. The football's not always pretty, but it sure is effective.[/quote']

Agreed. People know what their getting when they bring Allardyce to a club, stability. He takes sub standard teams and make them efficent and prolong their stay in the EPL.

His Ex- Bolton squad & Blackburn squad should on paper' date=' be top 10.[/quote']

He guided Bolton to a top-10 finish in three successive seasons (I think, certainly two), so I fail to see where your point lies there. I disagree that Blackburn should be a top-10 side. Their squad is rather poor in my opinion.

That does not make him great......

But it does. I think people underestimate his achievements at Bolton. He took over an average side and converted them into a solid Premiership outfit, and one that got into Europe. That's pretty impressive in the modern era.

But it does. I think people underestimate his achievements at Bolton. He took over an average side and converted them into a solid Premiership outfit' date=' and one that got into Europe. That's pretty impressive in the modern era.[/quote']

No it doesn't. I appreciate his achievements, he did well. but that's the best he is ever going to do, his style of football cannot win anything.

Doing well does not mean your great, being "pretty impressive" is not being great.

It all depends on how you define the word great which is different for everyone. I wouldn't say he was great but I believe he's one of the best at what he does. One particular situation though and when he was in charge of a bigger club he totally flunked it.

Totally left field decision though. Didn't see it coming at all :o Don't think it's particularly deserved either when you consider the calibre of teams below Blackburn in the table...

No it doesn't. I appreciate his achievements' date=' he did well. but that's the best he is ever going to do, his style of football cannot win anything.

Doing well does not mean your great, being "pretty impressive" is not being great.[/quote']

No sides will win anything these days unless tens, if not hundreds, of millions of pounds are spent. Allardyce never really had that luxury at Bolton so it's pretty unfair to demean his achievements simply because he didn't win any top level trophies.

There are plenty of great managers out there who win jack all in their career, Dario Gradi being a prime example. Trophies should not be the determining factor when evaluating the modern game, because it's nigh on impossible to break into the top four these days.

I'll gladly downgrade my opinion of Allardyce to a "very good" manager instead of a "great" one, but I do think you're being rather unfair on him.

His Ex- Bolton squad & Blackburn squad should on paper' date=' be top 10.[/quote']

Really? :rolleyes:

My top 10 personally would be (in no particular order): Chelsea, Man. Utd, Man. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Birmingham, Sunderland & Everton/Bolton.

I'm sorry - but Blackburn aren't at that quality. They don't have the players to do it. I'd say the only players good enough for a top 10 finish at Blackburn are Phil Jones, Ryan Nelsen, Paul Robinson, David Dunn & Mame Diouf. Other then that there a potential relegation side, there no better than Wolves, Wigan & West Ham.

At this rate - Blackburn are going to stay up, unless it's Hughton - or someone like Curbishly i don't think they will stay up. Allardyce didn't deserved to be sacked, if Blackburn would prefer to have Hughton instead of Allardyce then i can understand, but i don't think it's a particularly fair treament for Allardyce.