Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

So City have spent £87m already this summer (not that i expect anymore). Although i quite like some of their signings (esspically Navas who i feel will bring something different to their side) i thought the emphasis was going to be bringing through youngsters and giving them a chance in this 'new holistic approach' for City can't help but think shelling out 90 off million on 4 players isn't really any different from how Mancini ' date=' Hughes and even Sven went about things.

Also does anyone else think this Arsenal 'warchest' is just hot air? We've been reading about this available lump of cash for several windows without any real sign of it being spent. I follow a fair number of Arsenal fans on twitter (i wish i didnt most of the time) and the players they link themselves with unrealistic or just one of them transfers you can't see happening. It's all well and good being linked with the players but if you don't splash the cash i think Wenger and Arsenal may have to settle for top 4 (and thats getting harder) every year.[/quote']

City's transfer activity to me has been below par. I see people on Facebook and the like claiming their signings have been exceptional and this isn't just City fans either. Negredo and Fernandinho for 50 million is hardly good business.

Fernandinho at 30 million is a terrible way to spend that amount of money even in this market (Not to say he's a bad player by any means).

Arsenal is another case. Were heavily linked with Jovetic. Nothing. Heavily linked with Rooney. Nothing. Heavily linked with Higuain. Nothing. Now heavily linked with Suarez. What will happen? Nothing.

Arsenal are just associating themselves with these big names to get their season ticket sales up. Why would Wenger spend money, when he can get into the top 4 with a cheap above average squad, whilst him and the board reap the economic benefits? The fact of the matter is Arsenal have never spent big and never will. It's all hot air, and Sanogo will be seen by Wenger as one of their key signings at the end of things.

He will also alude to the fact Giroud has been in form during pre season, so they 'don't need' a striker. Arsenal won't get any of the big names they are linked with, guaranteed.

I think City's signings have been pretty good but certainly not value for money, not that you really expect that.

I was worried before that all the bluster about Arsenal's 'war chest' may not be accurate and thus far it certainly seems like they're not going to be breaking their shackles and really splashing too much, but long way to go so would expect them to make some inroads at some stage.

Definitely like Spurs' business to this point but obviously the keys for them are buying a striker and keeping Bale, which you would assume they will do.

Thing I'm most intrigued about is what United and Chelsea will do from this point.

I wonder what happened to his 'magic' for all the 'done' deal back then for Villa' date=' Halilovic etc. :P[/quote']

Benteke.

Widely acknowledged his fee was that figure, don't think it had to much to do with levy.

:)

Lovely signing though, can feed your great striker.....oh.

Think Chadli is an excellent signing' date=' not a blockbuster one but a good fit and pretty cheap all in all.[/quote']

Personally don't find it to exciting at all.

Could be the Sigurdsson, arrives with a bit of fanfare and then goes on to play a fairly limited role.

Whenever I have seen him (admittedly not loads) not seemed anything out of the ordinary.

Dunno why everyone gets this view Levy is a magican as well, he aint, he really aint.

Fairly obvious a top striker was the area they needed to address and yet again they seem to be quite a way from getting what they really need as a team and no doubt Levy and his "bargaining" is part of the problem.

I think Fernandinho for £30m is definitely overpriced. However, I think our other buys represent decent value. Navas cost the same as Zaha and is a far superior player and Jovetic for £22m is a bit of a risk but he certainly has the potential to increase that valuation in coming years. Negredo's looks dodgy because of his age but only Ronaldo, Messi and Falcao scored more in La Liga and their prices are much higher. In fact, Negredo scored more goals from open play than Falcao, neither offer much other than goals and Negredo cost half as much.

The key thing though is the wages. All four are reportedly on £100k or lower. Considering the players we've sold/released recently and the new TV deal, we've done very well out of the window and our wages are much more manageable for the future. We've cut the wage bill by 15%.

Could be the Sigurdsson' date=' arrives with a bit of fanfare and then goes on to play a fairly limited role.

Whenever I have seen him (admittedly not loads) not seemed anything out of the ordinary.

Dunno why everyone gets this view Levy is a magican as well, he aint, he really aint.

Fairly obvious a top striker was the area they needed to address and yet again they seem to be quite a way from getting what they really need as a team and no doubt Levy and his "bargaining" is part of the problem.[/quote']

Not sure about fanfare, barely seen it mentioned around my footballing circles to be honest haha. Like I said, I don't think it's a blockbuster deal and he won't take them to the next level or do anything spectacular, but think for the money they paid he is a good player who adds to their squad nicely. For what it's worth I felt the same way as you when Sigurdsson signed, but I've taken a bit more an interest in the Eredivisie this season and Chadli impressed me when I saw him.

Agree that the making or breaking of them is in the striker department, I know Levy likes his 'bargains' and do think he does some good business (Although like you say, he is not some kind of negotiating messiah) but amazed he has not pulled the trigger on some of the available players. All very well working to a budget but you can't always unearth gems, sometimes you need to pay top level money for top level players. Amazed he hasn't pushed harder for Benteke to be honest.

Long way to go though, so I'll reserve judgement for when they conclude their business, good strikers are disappearing thick and fast though!

Could be the Sigurdsson' date=' arrives with a bit of fanfare and then goes on to play a fairly limited role.

Fairly obvious a top striker was the area they needed to address and yet again they seem to be quite a way from getting what they really need as a team and no doubt Levy and his "bargaining" is part of the problem.[/quote']

Like you, I'm not overawed by the Chadli signing. Don't think he's as good as Lennon in all honesty.

However, I think that Levy's skills as a negotiator are excellent. They've made a handsome profit over the 4 seasons prior to this and have improved their points total in 3 of those seasons. Bought some real bargains and plays hardball when negotiating sales. That said, I agree that he needs to improve his threshold for splashing out that little more for necessary players. They've needed a striker for years now and it'll be hugely disappointing if they don't sign one this summer.

City's transfer activity to me has been below par. I see people on Facebook and the like claiming their signings have been exceptional and this isn't just City fans either. Negredo and Fernandinho for 50 million is hardly good business.

Fernandinho at 30 million is a terrible way to spend that amount of money even in this market (Not to say he's a bad player by any means).

Arsenal is another case. Were heavily linked with Jovetic. Nothing. Heavily linked with Rooney. Nothing. Heavily linked with Higuain. Nothing. Now heavily linked with Suarez. What will happen? Nothing.

Arsenal are just associating themselves with these big names to get their season ticket sales up. Why would Wenger spend money' date=' when he can get into the top 4 with a cheap above average squad, whilst him and the board reap the economic benefits? The fact of the matter is Arsenal have never spent big and never will. It's all hot air, and Sanogo will be seen by Wenger as one of their key signings at the end of things.

He will also alude to the fact Giroud has been in form during pre season, so they 'don't need' a striker. Arsenal won't get any of the big names they are linked with, guaranteed.[/quote']

City probably only spent 30mil on Fernandinho because they want to fin now. If instant results are all City are looking for, than Fernandinho is a great signing, as he improves their midfield two-fold. He's terrible value in the long run, but will give City a better chance at getting the results they want in the present.

The thing that troubles me about Arsenal is that they've started reporting rumors on their website, as in, "The press have linked Arsenal with Gonzalo Higuain" etc. It strikes me as a bit misleading when a club tries to entice fans to go check out unreliable articles about summer transfer targets, but I suppose that you could argue that Arsenal never sign players they're linked with, so the articles don't matter regardless. Do other clubs report rumors like this on their websites?

The issue I have with the Fernandinho signing is that his value is about half of what they paid for him. He is 28, which is hardly young, never played in a top league and has been at Shaktar for 8 years. Surely if he was THAT good a top European team would have bust a ball to get him already (No Manchester City aren't a top European team).

A good signing to me is someone who is good but also worth the money. Like it seems these days if City were to pick up Messi for 5 billion that would be considered a 'good signing', I mean how exactly? Berbatov wasn't a flop at United by striking standards, but because he cost 30 million everyone will tell you he was a failure. The double standards are evident.

The issue I have with the Fernandinho signing is that his value is about half of what they paid for him. He is 28' date=' which is hardly young, never played in a top league and has been at Shaktar for 8 years. Surely if he was THAT good a top European team would have bust a ball to get him already (No Manchester City aren't a top European team).

A good signing to me is someone who is good but also worth the money. Like it seems these days if City were to pick up Messi for 5 billion that would be considered a 'good signing', I mean how exactly? Berbatov wasn't a flop at United by striking standards, but because he cost 30 million everyone will tell you he was a failure. The double standards are evident.[/quote']

Srna is a top RB and will fit in most top European clubs but he stays with Shakhtar. Team like Shakhtar have no pressure to sell their best players to be honest so it doesn't mean 'good' player who stay there for a long time considered won't be good enough for higher level

The issue I have with the Fernandinho signing is that his value is about half of what they paid for him. He is 28' date=' which is hardly young, never played in a top league and has been at Shaktar for 8 years. Surely if he was THAT good a top European team would have bust a ball to get him already (No Manchester City aren't a top European team).

A good signing to me is someone who is good but also worth the money. Like it seems these days if City were to pick up Messi for 5 billion that would be considered a 'good signing', I mean how exactly? Berbatov wasn't a flop at United by striking standards, but because he cost 30 million everyone will tell you he was a failure. The double standards are evident.[/quote']

This is what billionaire owners have done to football. If no one cares about the financial implications of a big-money signing, because if a player doesn't work out, there's always more money available to replace him.

Also, his fee was probably inflated since Shaktar are technically competing with City in the CL, which drives up the price. The Ukrainian league shouldn't be underestimated though. It's shown it's value in the CL, which lets clubs like Shaktar command higher fees for their players.

City are very rarely going to get value for money because clubs we're buying from can happily hold us to ransom knowing we have oil billions to spend. Shakhtar held out for Fernandinho's release clause and in the end he himself waived money owed to him to make the move. That's what excites me about our signings this window: we've bought players eager to impress on a bigger stage than they held previously and have got rid of a lot of the egos that caused unrest in the dressing room. Just look at the articles in the press - all about United and Chelsea whereas previously City kept being played as fools.

In the end, I think Fernandinho will be the perfect partner for Yaya in the middle, and if that midfield is firing we can easily make up his transfer fee by progressing further in tournaments and getting a higher league position.

... we can easily make up his transfer fee by progressing further in tournaments and getting a higher league position.

So you are planning on getting to the CL Round of 16 for a change :P

Agree with what a lot of people said. I am underwhelmed by City's business but I am basically underwhelmed by most other clubs too. Ain't like Arsenal and United impressed much

City are very rarely going to get value for money because clubs we're buying from can happily hold us to ransom knowing we have oil billions to spend. Shakhtar held out for Fernandinho's release clause and in the end he himself waived money owed to him to make the move. That's what excites me about our signings this window: we've bought players eager to impress on a bigger stage than they held previously and have got rid of a lot of the egos that caused unrest in the dressing room. Just look at the articles in the press - all about United and Chelsea whereas previously City kept being played as fools.

In the end' date=' I think Fernandinho will be the perfect partner for Yaya in the middle, and if that midfield is firing we can easily make up his transfer fee by progressing further in tournaments and getting a higher league position.[/quote']

Agree with what a lot of people said. I am underwhelmed by City's business but I am basically underwhelmed by most other clubs too. Ain't like Arsenal and United impressed much

They aint done any so pretty hard to feel over or under whelmed by it :P

I am sure they will do though.

I'm certainly hoping so :P

I'm happy with our signings. No huge stars but all good players strengthening positions we needed reinforcements in.

Chelsea haven't done anything but I'm not sure they need to. Think us and them now have better first teams and squads than United who need a midfielder. Arsenal have done nothing, as expected, and Spurs need a quality striker.

Two key stats for Chadli;

Twente record with him in the side - 65% win, Out the side - 25% win

36 games (including 4 as sub) - 18 goals

Goals from the wings and yet another option there is crucial for us. People seem to forget that when he is fit, he is one of the first names on the Belgium team sheet.

The fact you lot are saying he is average and will be a squad player is even more confidence in my belief that he will do well for us. He is a lot more productive than Lennon, more in AVB's style of player and also plays on the correct side, unlike Lennon.

Chat about strikers is quite funny also. Why on earth would we pay north of £20m for Benteke? He's had 1 season in the premiership playing for a poor side. If he repeats it this season then fair enough he is well worth it but £20m+ is not good value currently. We should see movement upfront soon anyway and someone who is better than Benteke IMO.