Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Good signing but Im not a massive fan of loans' date=' especially for established premiership teams.[/quote']

The loan system is definetley the way forward and I can see more and more clubs exploring this avenue on a regular basis.

It works all around really with the introduction of FFP clubs that don't have rich oil magnates, owned by arabs or Russians have to balance the books and be a lot more careful in terms of transfer business.

If you are going to make an investment in a player it probably suits to bring a player in on loan and take a look at them see if they fit into your style of play, integrate in the dressing room and bring something to the team before paying out millions in a fee/wages when you cant guarantee those aspects.

For a buying club it makes perfect sense to have a loan with an option to buy at the end of the loan and also for selling clubs as they get wages off there books and free up space to invest be it in players or other areas of the football club.

Vydra is a great loan signing for West Brom. If he can in any way replicate his form from last season then we could see 'Lukaku 2' ;) Obviously he was playing in the championship last year' date=' but he has the ability to bag quite a few goals in the premiership.[/quote']

Replicate his form from the first half of the season maybe, in the second half of last season his form went to pot, could not score for toffee and generally looked a shadow of the player he was.

I think he has quality but "Lukaku 2" not a hope Lukaku is not just one but quite a few levels in front of Vydra in terms of ability and raw assets to make a big impact at premier League level. I am not even sure if Vydra would be a starter depends on the way WBA play but if he can get ten goals for the Baggies I think he has had a good season.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Think Vydra's a okay signing was very good in the first half of the season but struggled and went on a bit of a goal drought from Feb to late in the season which wasn't helped by a in form Troy Deeney. Think he'll end up starting the season like Lukaku did last year coming off the bench and having to preform to earn a starting spot' date=' Can't see Anelka's Pre-season form or Fitness lasting the entire season so think West Brom have done the best thing bringing in another forward.

The Lugano transfer Is a little weird, from what i've read he's been very very poor the last few seasons like a few who've posted before me I can't see him getting the nod over Olsson and McAuley who have come off the back of a very good season as a partnership and are experienced, Feel his move is more to add a good rotation option and some more cover but considering the options they already had it might go some way to showing Clarke's motives for the cup with the little bit of depth they've added with these two signings.[/quote']

Agree with every word of this. Vydra will definitely start the season on the bench and will have to earn a place in the first team. As you, Lugano hasnt been bought to replace either Olsson or Mcauley, rather to add a bit more depth to the squad.

Im getting rather concerned that nobody is going to take Peter Odemwingie off our hands. We already paid him 40k a week for 6 months for nothing.

The loan system is definetley the way forward and I can see more and more clubs exploring this avenue on a regular basis.

It works all around really with the introduction of FFP clubs that don't have rich oil magnates' date=' owned by arabs or Russians have to balance the books and be a lot more careful in terms of transfer business.

If you are going to make an investment in a player it probably suits to bring a player in on loan and take a look at them see if they fit into your style of play, integrate in the dressing room and bring something to the team before paying out millions in a fee/wages when you cant guarantee those aspects.

For a buying club it makes perfect sense to have a loan with an option to buy at the end of the loan and also for selling clubs as they get wages off there books and free up space to invest be it in players or other areas of the football club.

Replicate his form from the first half of the season maybe, in the second half of last season his form went to pot, could not score for toffee and generally looked a shadow of the player he was.

I think he has quality but "Lukaku 2" not a hope Lukaku is not just one but quite a few levels in front of Vydra in terms of ability and raw assets to make a big impact at premier League level. I am not even sure if Vydra would be a starter depends on the way WBA play but if he can get ten goals for the Baggies I think he has had a good season.[/quote']

I agree that Lukaku is the most talented out of the two players. I should have made myself a bit clearer when I said 'Lukaku 2'. I meant that I think if Vydra can play to the best of his ability then he can have a similar impact to WBA's season as Lukaku did last season, and not that he is of the same ability as Lukaku as an individual player.

It's actually 15 in 106 starts :o Not a bad return for a wide-man (for example Navas had 21 in 214 for Sevilla' date=' Downing 3 in 53 for Liverpool).

He's raw but there is serious potential there.[/quote']

No Mikey - the point is quoting stats for Zaha and then saying "I don't really see the hype around him" is implying his stats are bad.

I deliberately chose Navas (whom is widely regarding as a good winger) and Downing (who is widely regarded as a poor winger... now anyway) to show that stats can be extremely misleading in judging the quality of the player.

You're not mentioning the full story about Navas as you've not mentioned his assists. Navas actually has pretty good stats. He has played 276 matches in the La Liga, scored 24 goals and given 63 assists as well. Saying he has bad stats as he has only scored 21 goals from 214 matches is misleading as he's a winger, not a striker and has much more assists than goals.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that Navas did this in the La Liga, one of the best leagues in the world while Zaha has played in the Championship.

It works all around really with the introduction of FFP clubs that don't have rich oil magnates' date=' owned by arabs or Russians have to balance the books and be a lot more careful in terms of transfer business.

.[/quote']

I agree with alot of that but thats based on the assumption that there is an agreed fee. If there isnt, its short sighted and Im not a fan.

Agree with every word of this. Vydra will definitely start the season on the bench and will have to earn a place in the first team.

I havent read anything about a release clause in Vydras loan deal, and you didnt have one in Lukakus (obviously). Your not "testing" to see out if they work out in your team. Your hoping they do for one season and if they dont, you dont have to keep them ( small win ) if they do, you lose them and take two steps back.

Loans have a place, and in certain circumstances are needed. However no one can tell me that established premiership clubs should look to exploit the loan system on a regular basis and justify that to me.

The players on loan tend to come from the bigger clubs, your effectively training players who will go back to their parent club to go and and increase the gulf in difference between you and them.

Im not picking on Baggies here, far from it. Im just not a massive fan of loans, no long term development in plan. Its all short sighted.

Unless you have an agreed fee, but how many good players go on loan with agreed fee's. Hardly any, its just the cast offs who the parent clubs wants rid of that do.

I agree with alot of that but thats based on the assumption that there is an agreed fee. If there isnt' date=' its short sighted and Im not a fan.

I havent read anything about a release clause in Vydras loan deal, and you didnt have one in Lukakus (obviously). Your not "testing" to see out if they work out in your team. Your hoping they do for one season and if they dont, you dont have to keep them ( small win ) if they do, you lose them and take two steps back.

Loans have a place, and in certain circumstances are needed. However no one can tell me that established premiership clubs should look to exploit the loan system on a regular basis and justify that to me.

The players on loan tend to come from the bigger clubs, your effectively training players who will go back to their parent club to go and and increase the gulf in difference between you and them.

Im not picking on Baggies here, far from it. Im just not a massive fan of loans, no long term development in plan. Its all short sighted.

Unless you have an agreed fee, but how many good players go on loan with agreed fee's. Hardly any, its just the cast offs who the parent clubs wants rid of that do.[/quote']

I understand what your saying but im personally a massive fan of the loan system. You say there is no long term plan but there will always be players available on loan, there will always be young lads wanting to drop down to a club like our and make a name for themselves and if they can do that at West Brom, then ill be more than happy.

Closing the gap between us and the top clubs is really not something i think we are considering as we simply are not big enough to compete and that is why we refuse to stretch ourselves. Every summer, we aim to build a squad that will compete in the EPL and secure us another, it might seem negative but thats just the way it is. The loan system allows us every summer to strengthen without spending much money. How else would we bring in players like Lukaku and Vydra.

Occasionally we do put a permanent clause in, just like we did last year with El Ghannasy who turned out to be a flop and we sent back, im pretty sure we will do the same with Sinclair if he comes in. I am big fan of this as well as it reduces a lot of the risk.

Cardiff will extend their stadium to 33k for the start of next season

And ready for the super cup final after this season which the cardiff city stadium will host

Pictures of it are here http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/stadium-phase-one-development-994444.aspx

Not bad, not bad, just hope you stay in the Premier League...:)

100 best players in EPL according to B.R

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1720614-br-100-best-premier-league-players

I don't necessarily agree with some though

I flicked through.. and have no Idea how Kagawa is the 9th best player in the league, and I'd of ranked Rooney better than 11th...

However it was a strange list anyway, wrong in many ways.

Does anyone think United will drop points at Swansea?

First game of the season is very unpredictable, there will deffo be a few shocks

I think Arsenal might drops points against Villa

Same goes for City and Liverpool & United, i think the other ties are pretty straight forward to predict

I think we'll beat you. We've had better preparation for the game and I don't rate Moyes' date=' who seems to be making excuses already.[/quote']

i dont think you will win you might draw, Why people dont rate Moyes I dont get, he took Everton to 6 & 7th on a regular basis with no cash, i think Everton will struggle this season and already have money on them being in the bottom 5.

I think Chelsea or City will win the title but dont right off United, As for Swansea this will be a hard season for you, you dont have the biggest squad and will have the european effect to cope with, mid to bottom half of table for me.

I can definitely see Swansea getting something from that one, especially at home, would not be surprised at all to see them win.

From what im hearing we will be be going with 3 up top against Saints tomorrow, most likely, Long, Anelka and Rosenberg. We did the double over them last season with this so no surprise to see it again.

Looks like we are now very close to the Sinclair deal, loan to permanent, 2m up front and around the 3m mark next summer. Very pleased with this one, good price in the end.

i dont think you will win you might draw' date=' Why people dont rate Moyes I dont get, he took Everton to 6 & 7th on a regular basis with no cash, i think Everton will struggle this season and already have money on them being in the bottom 5.

I think Chelsea or City will win the title but dont right off United, As for Swansea this will be a hard season for you, you dont have the biggest squad and will have the european effect to cope with, mid to bottom half of table for me.[/quote']

We haven't got that many players, but we've got a lot more strength in depth than last season. We've got a much stronger season than the previous two seasons and have certainly prepared for Europe.

We made 7 changes in the second leg against Malmo and we didn't look any weaker.

We've ran United close a few times now, all four games against them have been competitive and we really should have beat them at Old Trafford.

As for Moyes, he did have cash and when he spent it he didn't really spend it wisely. He never addressed long term concerns at the club, like the need of a play maker/deep lying midfielder and some depth which let them down season after season. Awful record in the big games, winning nothing in his time their. Martinez is already looking to address the main concerns and will have more success their in my opinion.

I can definitely see Swansea getting something from that one' date=' especially at home, would not be surprised at all to see them win.

From what im hearing we will be be going with 3 up top against Saints tomorrow, most likely, Long, Anelka and Rosenberg. We did the double over them last season with this so no surprise to see it again.

Looks like we are now very close to the Sinclair deal, loan to permanent, 2m up front and around the 3m mark next summer. Very pleased with this one, good price in the end.[/quote']

I think West Brom might do well this season, ;)

I think West Brom might do well this season' date=' ;)[/quote']

Yeah, but you also think Everton will be in a relegation scrap so your opinion might be a little misguided :P All of your arguments for Moyes staying in a stable, strong position for Everton's stature despite spending little money apply to Martinez at Wigan except he got given less money to spend.