Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

All signs now suggesting that Pablo Osvaldo has accepted Saints and is imminent. He's got class but the fee being suggested is a hell of a lot and he's a 'temperamental' character' date=' shall we say.

Fair to say that I'm conflicted on this one.[/quote']

From what I hear the fee is about 15 million. A lot for him for sure when you look at the bargains people have found this year and previously.

The problem that you face is that you are having to pay over the odds for players as you are not an established premier league side yet and have no European football etc. Thus meaning when the world class players become available for lowish prices they choose other clubs over yourselves.

I would have thought you may have gone in for Bony, Van Wolf or Aubameyang this summer. All good strikers that went for less.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

True' date=' but JEDINAK look decent in front of them[/quote']

He's probably their best player, but he can't really do anything when teams go around him and exploit poor full backs.

I see them doing a Reading.Going straight down as they have hardly bought any premier league experienced defenders.

It's not about Premier League experience' date=' just bringing in quality even if it's the best of the Championship. Our goalkeeper or defence didn't have one minute of Premier League football between them, Norwich didn't have much/any Premier League experience either but we had some of the better defenders in the Championship like Russell Martin, Kyle Naughton, Steven Caulker and Ashley Williams.

Palace's defenders were average in the Championship.

From what I hear the fee is about 15 million. A lot for him for sure when you look at the bargains people have found this year and previously.

The problem that you face is that you are having to pay over the odds for players as you are not an established premier league side yet and have no European football etc. Thus meaning when the world class players become available for lowish prices they choose other clubs over yourselves.

I would have thought you may have gone in for Bony, Van Wolf or Aubameyang this summer. All good strikers that went for less.

Aubameyang was only willing to join a club in the Champions League.

Osvaldo's proven himself at a higher level that Bony and RVW. He is a good signing for £15 million, and has gone for around that figure a couple of times and proven his worth. He's a great signing for Southampton.

I would have thought you may have gone in for Bony' date=' Van Wolf or Aubameyang this summer. All good strikers that went for less.[/quote']

Of course we're always going to have to pay that much more, but I doubt we were looking at Van Wolfswinkel, and Aubameyang I think was always out well of our league, few of our fans were annoyed we seemingly didn't go in for Bony but either he gave us very short shrift or we just weren't interested.

Don't think Cortese is really fussed about searching high and low for bargains to be honest, if he identifies a good player he can get for cheap he'll go for it but really they just identify their targets and are willing to pay what it takes. Doesn't mean he's just throwing money at them, he's known for driving a hard bargain but also not afraid to just stump up the cash if he needs to.

The thing that really matters in the end isn't the price but how he performs, that's what I'm more worried about really.

Hull are awful but Chelsea are outstanding.

If Chelsea had a striker like, well... erm... sturridge they would be lethal.

Also im here to eat some humble pie and say that UTD are better than i gave them credit of being a week ago (although in my defence i did say last week there is no way they would finish outside top 4)

Ian Holloway:

"I don't understand how it was a penalty, or how Moxey could have got out of the way of it," added the former Leicester, QPR and Bristol Rovers boss.

"Do I think I would have got that at Tottenham? No I don't.

"Tottenham will feel decisions like that if they play Man United.

"I just want a bit of fairness. I want a foul like anyone else would have got one. I've got a horrible taste in my mouth after that."

Watched the game and can't see where Holloway is coming from. I actually thought Palace got the rub of the green with the refereeing decisions, Spurs should have a penalty just before they got one and it was a blatant handball.

Osvaldo to Southampton is done presented tomorrow saints twitter just announced ... another big signing!

Great signing, although it'll be interesting to see how he fairs with Lambert in the team. Don't get me wrong, Osvaldo is a big name player but I wouldn't immediately just take Lambert out of the team for him, especially not at the minute. Do you think Southampton will play two up top or do you think the two of them will be rotated with one up top?

Great signing' date=' although it'll be interesting to see how he fairs with Lambert in the team. Don't get me wrong, Osvaldo is a big name player but I wouldn't immediately just take Lambert out of the team for him, especially not at the minute. Do you think Southampton will play two up top or do you think the two of them will be rotated with one up top?[/quote']

It's going to be interesting to see what Poch don't know much about Osvaldo but Lambert can certainly play just as good in a partnership as shown when he played alongside Lee Barnard/Sharp in L1 and the Champ . Think both will be getting good minutes could end up changing to a 424/4222 with Wanayama and Morgan sitting deeper to accommodate the attacking formation. It's not just Lambert's place who's threatened it's Ramirez, Jay Rod and Lallana's minutes also, Poch might be attempting to make a interchanging front line which doesn't have a fixed position and rather applies pressure where necessary which would fit in with his style in some ways now any how. I'm also interested to see how this all works out but can't see Lambert losing his place over the signing!

Riferimento: Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Great signing' date=' although it'll be interesting to see how he fairs with Lambert in the team. Don't get me wrong, Osvaldo is a big name player but I wouldn't immediately just take Lambert out of the team for him, especially not at the minute. Do you think Southampton will play two up top or do you think the two of them will be rotated with one up top?[/quote']

I think he will either compete with or play alongside him up front, because, as you said, it would be a mistake to take Lambert out of team atm. However good signing for Southampton. :)

Not a bad showing today, would have taken that before the game. After losing out on Bent and only purchasing Marange two days ago I feared a drubbing, but if not for a penalty which was unlucky and also arguable, we may have gotten a draw,

We need to do better with the ball though, this is where we needed Campana, someone who can make things happen, as we won't see much of it so we need to make good use of it when we do. When we didn't have the ball though I thought for the most part we were solid and kept our shape well.

Anyway, upwards and onwards, hoping for at least 3/6 from Stoke and Sunderland.

;2697725']

Very much a Top 10 side!

Boruc

Chambers -- Lovren -- Fonte -- Shaw

Wanyama -- Schniederlin

Ramirez ------9000-------- Lallana ©

Osvaldo -- Lambert

On paper thats an amazing side! However I still reckon they'll struggle for top 10. Ramirez hasnt been good and Osvaldo is Italian...