Official Premier League Discussion Thread

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Been a while since I posted on here, still buzzing from Sunday & I've been to Accrington Stanley in between, absolutely incredible.

Many have criticised us for being too negative which is something I disagree with. At the end of the day were still a newly promoted side which wasn't going to see much of the ball. Naturally that would see us pushed back against a very good Citeh side. Citeh didn't play badly, they kept it well, but couldn't break us down for the most part. The 17 pass move that led to the first goal & then the mentality to go on and score 2 more shows there's enough nous in the side to stay up. Knew when to go forward & very disciplined. Malky's doing wonders here.

I've always fancied us to stay up & after Sunday I still stand by it. West Ham away we were very poor IMO, but I think the CCS will be many a sides downfall this year. Another striker, winger & maybe defensive cover & I'd be very happy. Medel's an animal as well, top piece of business.

Been a while since I posted on here' date=' still buzzing from Sunday & I've been to Accrington Stanley in between, absolutely incredible.

[b']Many have criticised us for being too negative[/b] which is something I disagree with. At the end of the day were still a newly promoted side which wasn't going to see much of the ball. Naturally that would see us pushed back against a very good Citeh side. Citeh didn't play badly, they kept it well, but couldn't break us down for the most part. The 17 pass move that led to the first goal & then the mentality to go on and score 2 more shows there's enough nous in the side to stay up. Knew when to go forward & very disciplined. Malky's doing wonders here.

I've always fancied us to stay up & after Sunday I still stand by it. West Ham away we were very poor IMO, but I think the CCS will be many a sides downfall this year. Another striker, winger & maybe defensive cover & I'd be very happy. Medel's an animal as well, top piece of business.

I've got to be honest I've not seen anyone say that anywhere, personally.

I think you've got the best chance to stay up of the promoted sides by a mile, I really like the ambition you've shown as it is fairly similar to Saints' approach and indeed we have crossed paths in transfer targets this summer. I still think you ideally need a bit more, as you say, and also feel that as things stand a fair chunk your success relies upon Cornelius contributing well.

The important thing though is how many sides are going to be down there scrapping and who you have to finish above, as topping your fellow promoted sides points total is obviously not enough. Almost all of the sides who finished from 8th down to 17th believe they have improved this year, some significantly, and are looking to move up the table. Ourselves, Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, Newcastle (Although this belief may have wavered), Villa, Fulham and West Ham probably all feel they are looking up this season and many feel the top half is an achievable target (Some targeting that as a minimum), only really West Brom and Stoke will be looking to consolidate but won't feel they should be looking over their shoulders too much. Obviously it would seem almost inevitable that a few of these teams are going to come down to earth with a bump (Hopefully not ourselves!), and I think we're waiting to see how these teams perform just as much as we're waiting to see what the promoted teams have what it takes. Of course you only need to top three sides and it seems likely at least a couple of the teams I mentioned are going to hit a speed bump this season, but this may just be a very nasty year to be a promoted side.

Been a while since I posted on here' date=' still buzzing from Sunday & I've been to Accrington Stanley in between, absolutely incredible.

Many have criticised us for being too negative which is something I disagree with. At the end of the day were still a newly promoted side which wasn't going to see much of the ball. Naturally that would see us pushed back against a very good Citeh side. Citeh didn't play badly, they kept it well, but couldn't break us down for the most part. The 17 pass move that led to the first goal & then the mentality to go on and score 2 more shows there's enough nous in the side to stay up. Knew when to go forward & very disciplined. Malky's doing wonders here.

I've always fancied us to stay up & after Sunday I still stand by it. West Ham away we were very poor IMO, but I think the CCS will be many a sides downfall this year. Another striker, winger & maybe defensive cover & I'd be very happy. Medel's an animal as well, top piece of business.[/quote']

You guys are fine. You're not Stoke-a-la-Pulis.

Surprised clubs aren't queueing up for Eriksen at £10m. That is so cheap for him - especially Liverpool/Arsenal kind of clubs. Great player' date=' he's run Ajax for the last couple of years.

Edit: I think AVB is getting a bit carried away

"Chelsea would never sell [Mata'] to a title rival"

Not this year Andre, not this year

You do realise he said that THEY view us as a title rival, you know after Mourinho said it...?

No way you lot should or will be viewed as title rivals' date=' still need to prove yourselves.No way.[/i']

I didn't say it myself, just saying what Mourinho and other managers have said.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-boss-mourinho-rates-tottenham-genuine-title-challengers-3976027#.UiBVhLK77j4

I didn't say it myself' date=' just saying what Mourinho and other managers have said.

[url']http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-boss-mourinho-rates-tottenham-genuine-title-challengers-3976027#.UiBVhLK77j4[/url]

Don't you know that Tony knows more about football then anyone?

:rolleyes:

I like Tottenham more than the other top 4 teams in the league atm but it does make me laugh that they're considered title contenders nearly every year by someone.

Highly doubt we'll be title contenders, I'm personally hoping we'll be able to push for 3rd this season.

Highly doubt we'll be title contenders' date=' I'm personally hoping we'll be able to push for 3rd this season.[/quote']

Spending £100m for only a place or two up the table? Football is crazy these days! If Arsenal spent that (haha I know right Arsenal and spend in the same sentence!!) and weren't contending for the title I'd not be a happy bunny. :P

Spending £100m for only a place or two up the table? Football is crazy these days! If Arsenal spent that (haha I know right Arsenal and spend in the same sentence!!) and weren't contending for the title I'd not be a happy bunny. :P

When you look at net spend the actual figure is about 1/10 of that. At least when Spurs sell their top players they get top dollar for them and reinvest it in the team. If Arsenal did that they'd still be competing for titles ;)

I'm being realistic tho. We've got United' date='Chelsea and City infront of us. Not exactly easy opponents. Nor have our players played together enough yet.

I'd be thrilled if we could push further then 3rd ... and ofcourse I hope that we'll push for the title ... but realistically I doubt we will THIS season.[/center']

I'm being realistic tho. We've got United' date='Chelsea and City infront of us. Not exactly easy opponents. Nor have our players played together enough yet.

I'd be thrilled if we could push further then 3rd ... and ofcourse I hope that we'll push for the title ... but realistically I doubt we will THIS season.[/center']

Indeed, I was making a point (probably badly) about how crazy football is if £100m can only buy you a place or two up the table. Good old Oil Tycoons and Russian Mafia, Arsenal get some spending phobic American. :(

Indeed' date=' I was making a point (probably badly) about how crazy football is if £100m can only buy you a place or two up the table. Good old Oil Tycoons and Russian Mafia, Arsenal get some spending phobic American. :([/quote']

Oh right, my mistake mate! Yeah, it's insane, but then again, we've spent that money over several players rather then on 1-2-3 that some clubs seem to do!

Indeed' date=' I was making a point (probably badly) about how crazy football is if £100m can only buy you a place or two up the table. Good old Oil Tycoons and Russian Mafia, Arsenal get some spending phobic American. :([/quote']

Crazy to think Usmanov is £2bn richer than Abramovich!