Official Premier League Discussion Thread

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

;2718005']Bet for Saints it is pretty gut wrenching that before all the deep financial trouble you had a 25% sell on fee on Gareth Bale. Somehow you got £2m and Spurs got Tommy Forecast?

Would of been £21.325m. :o

We were in the deep financial trouble before we even sold Bale haha, but it would have been more gut wrenching if we had of ceased to exist as a club so no-ones really cursing the gods down here. ;)

Also Forecast came to us, never made a league appearance but was part of three consecutive promotions with us and the Gills with a total of 2 appearances between those three seasons! :o

I would rather sell him and get someone else in.

With clock ticking it might wise to keep your player' date=' unless of course Martinez already set up his eye on some replacement.

Moses loan to Liverpool confirmed, hope it goes well for him!

Any future transfer fee agree? I believe there is none. Not fancy the idea we 'trained' your players.

We were in the deep financial trouble before we even sold Bale haha' date=' but it would have been more gut wrenching if we had of ceased to exist as a club so no-ones really cursing the gods down here. ;)

Also Forecast came to us, never made a league appearance but was part of three consecutive promotions with us and the Gills with a total of 2 appearances between those three seasons! :o[/quote']

To be honest, I still think it was a good deal for Southampton.

Getting £2 million when they really needed it for me is better than getting £20 million when they've already got a rich owner willing to invest in Cortese as well as the Premier League money.

So far:

Morgan Amalfitano [Marseille - West Brom] Loan

Marko Arnautovic [Werder Bremen - Stoke] Undisclosed

Tiago Ilori [sporting Lisbon - Liverpool] £7m

Victor Moses [Chelsea - Liverpool] Loan

Mamadou Sakho [Paris Saint-Germain - Liverpool] £18m

Fabio Borini [Liverpool - Sunderland] Loan

Can someone explain to me the rules regarding Premier League loans?

I was sure it was a max of two long term and two short term per season, yet West Brom have loaned Popov, Sinclair and Amalfitano on a season long loan, and are linked with Julio Cesar on a similar season long loan. Sinclair and Amalfitano have the option to buy, so must be long term, but how have they loaned Popov?

I was sure it was a max of two long term and two short term per season' date=' yet West Brom have loaned Popov, Sinclair and Amalfitano on a season long loan, and are linked with Julio Cesar on a similar season long loan. Sinclair and Amalfitano have the option to buy, so must be long term, but how have they loaned Popov?[/quote']

Vydra too which makes four.

I was sure it was a max of two long term and two short term per season' date=' yet West Brom have loaned Popov, Sinclair and Amalfitano on a season long loan, and are linked with Julio Cesar on a similar season long loan. Sinclair and Amalfitano have the option to buy, so must be long term, but how have they loaned Popov?[/quote']

We have reached our max with foreign loan deals but we still have a domestic loan left. Not sure on all the exact numbers. Julio Cesar wont happen anyway, nothing in it.

The rule is that your only allowed two Premier League loans, regardless of whether it's short term or long term. I don't think there's any other restrictions in the amount of loans you can have other than that.

Dissapointed we didn't go in for Fabio Borini, although I'm sure he'll be back one day. Looks like we're getting Alvaro Vasquez, who I'd be happy with, a good young player who hasn't scored a lot of goals in his career but he'd be a different type of striker which is what we need.

Ill stand by it' date=' loans are not the way forward when relying on them for important positions or if they fill more than a few of your positions in the team.

Next season you will have to start from scratch..... again.

Whilst I appreciate the value of loans, clubs need to break cycles of relying on them.[/quote']

This ^ and arsenal are considering loaning demba ba :o

Ill stand by it' date=' loans are not the way forward when relying on them for important positions or if they fill more than a few of your positions in the team.

Whilst I appreciate the value of loans, clubs need to break cycles of relying on them.[/quote']

I understand what your saying but tbh Sinclair is the only player we have loaned who i expect to be a key player and i expect we will buy him next summer. Popov and Vydra wont start too many games, more for cover than anything. Not sure on Amalfitino yet.

I understand what your saying but tbh Sinclair is the only player we have loaned who i expect to be a key player and i expect we will buy him next summer. Popov and Vydra wont start too many games' date=' more for cover than anything. Not sure on Amalfitino yet.[/quote']

Point taken!

Hayden I dont think getting Ba has the wow factor but one loan signing of a proven goal scorer isnt a bad thing, especially when you consider he wont be integral to you guys.

I agree in the sense that teams shouldn't be relying on them season after season, but they can certainly have a use in bringing in players of a standard you wouldn't otherwise be able to bring in, to make less of a risk in signing a player by loaning him for a season first or to use a loan as a cheap squad option for the season.

Individually I think West Brom have brought in astute signings, but on the whole as all of them are loans there's a reliance on them and there's no reason why they can't be spending money. The competition around them like us, Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham, yourselves and that sort of calibre of club are spending money and bringing in players who have a resale value, whilst West Brom won't be able to reinvest money in to the squad through player sales.

I agree in the sense that teams shouldn't be relying on them season after season' date=' but they can certainly have a use in bringing in players of a standard you wouldn't otherwise be able to bring in, to make less of a risk in signing a player by loaning him for a season first or to use a loan as a cheap squad option for the season.

Individually I think West Brom have brought in astute signings, but on the whole as all of them are loans there's a reliance on them and there's no reason why they can't be spending money. The competition around them like us, Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham, yourselves and that sort of calibre of club are spending money and bringing in players who have a resale value, whilst West Brom won't be able to reinvest money in to the squad through player sales.[/quote']

Make no mistake this is the opinion of the fans but we have put up with Jeremy Peace and his small pockets for years now. This summer has been very frustrating, im only hoping that we go and splash some cash today to give us more strength up top which i think we will.

To be honest' date=' I still think it was a good deal for Southampton.

Getting £2 million when they really needed it for me is better than getting £20 million when they've already got a rich owner willing to invest in Cortese as well as the Premier League money.[/quote']

Indeed, although I will point out that Cortese is our chairman, our owners are the family of the late Markus Liebherr. It's a common misconception, though.

Make no mistake this is the opinion of the fans but we have put up with Jeremy Peace and his small pockets for years now. This summer has been very frustrating' date=' im only hoping that we go and splash some cash today to give us more strength up top which i think we will.[/quote']

Even up until this summer though you were spending some money with Jeremy Peace, and it seems today your bidding money for players which makes it confusing why you've left it so late to do so.

Realistically we should be at a similar level to you, spending a similar amount to you financially given that fact we should have a similar income but we've spent the money we've got which you haven't which was so evident yesterday in the difference in quality between the two sides.

You could still turn it around today, looks like there's a lot of teams with business still to do in the Premier League so I think we're on course for a great deadline day. You'd expect the majority of clubs to do some business today.

I hate rumours and links but latest three from sky are:

Odemwingie to Cardiff

Anichebe and Sessengon to West Brom

Wouldnt normally share rumours, but the Odemwingie is, well just funny whatever happens, and Anichebe and Sessengon would be very good business for West Brom - although you do wonder about their GK situation - I'd like to see Shay Given there, or Rudd..