Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Liverpool

Keeping Suarez is huge' date=' as were the fees they got for Carroll and Downing. Invested in some good quality and good depth in the areas it was needed in such as CB. Spent a fair bit but their income is large too and they look much better for it.

[b']9/10[/b]

Nice to see you giving us a 9/10. Finally had a decent window.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Now that the transfer window has closed and everyone has finished their respective signings, who do you tip to go down lads and what are your reasons why?

For me I feel Sunderland, Hull/West Brom and Crystal Palace.

Sunderland simply due to the fact that they basically have a whole new team and I feel Altidore will flop bigger than an over-cooked asparagus. Other than that, they will need Fletcher to consistently be on form otherwise they will deeply struggle. Made some quality additions but way too many for me, and that's why I feel they're going down.

Hull due to the fact that I don't feel like they've added enough quality in terms of signings than they could have done, with the core of their team still similar to that of the Championship with the most notable additions of Huddlestone and Livermore. Think their defence isn't good enough to stay up and I can't see them getting many goals out of the forwards they have at their disposal. Could rue not being able to tie up the Long deal.

Crystal Palace as they have signed average quality players although they have a very determined bunch, they haven't vastly improved on what they had last season. Gayle is average for me, don't see why they signed him, yet he starts most games. Once again, if Chamakh doesn't perform, or performs like he did in his spell at Arsenal, I can't really see where the goals are coming from. They're good going forward though and I like the way they go about playing, but it's going to take much more than that to stay up in such a competitive League that the Prem is.

West Brom have made some quality additions to the squad, but I just feel they could be down there come the end of the season. Not sure why, but they're not as fluid as they were last season. Clarke is a good manager though in my eyes and I recon they might do enough to keep their heads above the water.

;2719944']19 Aug - Manchester United bid £28 million for Fellaini and Baines.

2 Sep - Manchester United pay £27.5 million for Fellaini.

United's window. Poor.

and United, one of the best clubs in the world, shamingly having to resort to a loan move for a player in the shape of Fabio Coentrao (confusion surrounding the deal, whether it's done or not), but if not, they've got a lot of explaining to do to Mr. Patrice Evra. What a joke. United are not getting Champions League football for me.

The more I think about it the worse United's window seems. Jesus that was bad for such a big and previously well run club. Ed Woodward showed how amateurish he was IMO. Scraping around in the last hour to sign Fellaini for nearly £5m more than his release clause was.

Turns out Herrera's deal was a joke too, and the pursuits of Fabregas, Ronaldo and Thiago were incredibly time wasting.

EDIT: Oh and Woodward came home early from United's pre season Far East tour to work on transfers...

The more I think about it the worse United's window seems. Jesus that was bad for such a big and previously well run club. Ed Woodward showed how amateurish he was IMO. Scraping around in the last hour to sign Fellaini for nearly £5m more than his release clause was.

Turns out Herrera's deal was a joke too' date=' and the pursuits of Fabregas, Ronaldo and Thiago were incredibly time wasting.

EDIT: Oh and Woodward came home early from United's pre season Far East tour to work on transfers...[/quote']

Lets wait and see until the end of the season.We have a strong solid team as it is and with the addition of Fellaini it will be stronger.

Herrera's deal was not a joke.

Turns out Herrera's deal was a joke too' date=' and the pursuits of Fabregas, Ronaldo and Thiago were incredibly time wasting.

EDIT: Oh and Woodward came home early from United's pre season Far East tour to work on transfers...[/quote']

#keepWoodwardatUtdforever

Lets wait and see until the end of the season.We have a strong solid team as it is and with the addition of Fellaini it will be stronger.

A joke, as was Utd's transfer window.

Apparently the people conducting the deal at Herrera's end weren't his representatives at all. Weren't even tied to the player or club whatsoever. That is a joke. Fact that all this went down to the last ten minutes is a joke.

Fellaini? No; then Thiago? No; then Fabregas? No; then Schweinsteiger? No; go get Ronaldo then he'll come back. No? Uhhhh....

Fellaini?

Apparently the people conducting the deal at Herrera's end weren't his representatives at all. Weren't even tied to the player or club whatsoever. That is a joke. Fact that all this went down to the last ten minutes is a joke.

Fellaini? No; then Thiago? No; then Fabregas? No; then Schweinsteiger? No; go get Ronaldo then he'll come back. No? Uhhhh....

Fellaini?

Come on Rugger, don't fall into the trap of believing everything you read. Thiago himself said there was no contact with United. Ronaldo, I never heard anything of any interest in bringing him back this season. Schweinsteiger, absolute media nonsense.

Very poor and embarrassing window for United, the way certain staff at United have gone about conducting deals has been an absolute shambles, if it continues over the Jan window and next summer I'd be seriously concerned.

It's obvious to see that Fellaini was not our first choice to fill the gaping void in CM, he's not the type of player that I want at United either (that also applies to the majority of our midfield), if he proves me wrong then so be it, I'll eat the hat that fits Fellaini's head!

Woodward is a complete plank (we'll keep it clean)

Now everything is done, I'd say it's a fair time to predict the table for the season:

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester City

3. Manchester United

4. Tottenham

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5. Liverpool

6. Arsenal

7. Everton

8. Swansea

9. Southampton

10. Sunderland

11. Aston Villa

12. Fulham

13. West Ham

14. Norwich

15. Cardiff

16. Hull City

17. West Brom

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

18. Newcastle

19. Stoke City

20. Crystal Palace

I think Sunderland wont do all that well this season, far to many ins and outs. A volatile manager who in reality has proven nothing at the top end of professional football.

He didnt even have a season in the championship.

Stoke have started far better than I imagined and have seemingly taken to Hughes style of football quite well. That being said, they beat Palace at home (needed two goals in a few minutes 70+ minutes) and played against one of the worst West Ham performances iv seen at home for 2 years, without Carrol or a target man ( Maiga isnt one ) they look toothless and have no plan B.

As it stands I dont think they will go down if they keep picking up points like that but there is still time for adaptation problems. Certainly started much better than I though though.

Palace, Hull and either Newcastle / West Brom or Sunderland for me.

Hold on' date=' hold on. Herrera scored 2 goals and got 2 assists for Bilbao. He is vastly overrated and worth nowhere near the £30 million valuation that was discussed. If you think he is, then the wool must have been pulled over your eyes. I believe Herrera is overrated anyway, not sure who else feels the same, but the stats don't really lie.[/quote']The wool is pulled over my eyes. Sky Sports have fooled me. I have probably seen Bilbao play with him, but can't say he has ever stood out and stuck in my mind like Munain and Javi Martinez did when they were in the Europa.

Swansea City

Needed depth with the Europa schedule added and have brought it in at good prices. Think Canas' date=' Pozuelo and Shelvey could prove to be bargains and Bony should come good but they needed another quality forward IMO.

[b']6/10[/b]

Think it's been a lot better transfer window for us than that, as the fact we've kept hold of the likes of Michu, Williams, Vorm and Laudrup despite speculation was huge. We've also brought in Alvaro, who should be a steady enough back up forward who'll fit in to our system but realistically we weren't going to have a budget to bring in a quality forward in this window.

Think it's been a lot better transfer window for us than that' date=' as the fact we've kept hold of the likes of Michu, Williams, Vorm and Laudrup despite speculation was huge. We've also brought in Alvaro, who should be a steady enough back up forward who'll fit in to our system but realistically we weren't going to have a budget to bring in a quality forward in this window.[/quote']You spent £12m on Bony!!!!!!!! What else do you want?!

Behave "nowhere near". I'll accept anybody who feels Ozil is better than either or both of Rooney or Kagawa but to say they are nowhere near is daft.

Also' date=' if Ozil is so good and improves any team .....

1.Why are Madrid happy to lose him to take Bale,

2.Why aren't Bayern/Barca/Man City and other clubs who could afford him in for him?

I watched him do very little against United over two legs in the Cl last year - If he was of a seriously higher calibre than Rooney, for example, he would have scored a hat-trick minimum :P

There is also a risk attached to any big signing (particularly from another league) so again is not worth the risk if you already have good options in that players position. He could easily do a Veron whom was at the time of purchase recognised as one of the very best players in the world yet failed to live up to his billing.[/quote']

1. Madrid is idiot to sell Ozil and buy Bale

2. Barca just don't use the system that could accomodate Ozil, Bayern have Gotze and Kroos alreadyfor Ozil position, City could/should have grabbed him though as he's certainly better than Jovetic

You spent £12m on Bony!!!!!!!! What else do you want?!

Bony isn't quite match fit yet' date=' and isn't going to be able to play every Thursday/Sunday so we needed back up for him. When Bony hasn't played, we haven't been the same team as Michu has had to play out of position.

I'm glad that we've spent £12 million on a striker in the calibre of Bony than two £6 million strikers though, he's been excellent for us so far when playing and always looks a goal threat and I'm happy with the signing of Alvaro.

I think Sunderland wont do all that well this season, far to many ins and outs. A volatile manager who in reality has proven nothing at the top end of professional football.

He didnt even have a season in the championship.

Stoke have started far better than I imagined and have seemingly taken to Hughes style of football quite well. That being said, they beat Palace at home (needed two goals in a few minutes 70+ minutes) and played against one of the worst West Ham performances iv seen at home for 2 years, without Carrol or a target man ( Maiga isnt one ) they look toothless and have no plan B.

As it stands I dont think they will go down if they keep picking up points like that but there is still time for adaptation problems. Certainly started much better than I though though.

Palace, Hull and either Newcastle / West Brom or Sunderland for me.

I think Sunderland will do quite well, although I do think it'll take them some time to settle in and start working together. At Swindon he did similar in both of his summers there, but whilst it took a bit of time for them to get going they eventually settled in and had good seasons.

With Allardyce and plenty of Premier League experience at West Ham, whilst I don't think they'll be anything spectacular they'll get the wins at home they need to stay up in my opinion.

With Allardyce and plenty of Premier League experience at West Ham' date=' whilst I don't think they'll be anything spectacular they'll get the wins at home they need to stay up in my opinion.[/quote']

Oh I agree completely that was more of an assessment of their performance against Stoke, they never got going without having Carrol in their starting 11.

West Ham will stay up no doubt.

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester City

3. Tottenham

4. Arsenal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5. Manchester United

6. Liverpool

7. Swansea

8. Everton

9. Southampton

10. Aston Villa

11. Norwich

12. West Ham

13. Fulham

14. West Brom

15. Cardiff

16. Hull City

17. Crystal Palace

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

18. Newcastle

19. Sunderland

20. Stoke City

So' date=' how did clubs do in the window as a whole?

[u']Arsenal[/u]

Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the quality they need in DM but Viviano and particularly Ozil are good additions. Needed a CB and a better DM IMO but finally buying a world class player should add some spark.

6/10

Aston Villa

Did brilliantly to keep Benteke and have brought in smart additions like Tonev, Bacuna, Luna and Okore. Not too sure on Kozak but losing so many high earning players who added little to the squad offsets much of the damage done by O'Neill. Very good window but players need to gel soon.

7/10

Cardiff City

Splashed the cash and seem to have bought some good players in Caulker, Medel and Odemwingie. Should certainly be enough for survival which would have been the intention coming into the window but it's been costly.

7/10

Chelsea

Tricky to rate as they've obviously added (potential) quality in Eto'o, Willian and Atsu but, IMO, at the risk of alienating better prospective players in Lukaku, Mata and Moses. Schwarzer's a smart addition and Van Ginkel and Schurrle should come good.

6/10

Crystal Palace

Bought a ton of average players IMO. I doubt Gayle, Chamakh, Puncheon, Kebe and Bannan will be too effective in what is set to be a quality relegation fight with all PL teams strengthening.

4/10

Everton

Fellaini is obviously a big loss but they really got top dollar for him and have added quality and depth to the squad. Particularly the loans of Deulofeu, Barry and Lukaku and McCarthy looked promising at Wigan.

7/10

Fulham

Quite a few nice buys in Stekelenburg, Riether, Taarabt, Bent and Parker. Don't think they've improved any more than those who finished around them though so I'd rank them as having an average summer.

6/10

Hull City

Another side that needed to buy well to beat the drop and I don't think that Davies, Graham, Huddlestone and Livermore have what it takes. Very similar window to Palace IMO and they'll both do extremely well to stay up.

4/10

Liverpool

Keeping Suarez is huge, as were the fees they got for Carroll and Downing. Invested in some good quality and good depth in the areas it was needed in such as CB. Spent a fair bit but their income is large too and they look much better for it.

9/10

Manchester City

Have had an expensive window and come out with a more 'wholesome' squad than Mancini's egos. None of the replacements have lost anything in terms of overall input IMO and Navas has hopefully solved the long term winger issue.

7/10

Manchester United

Needed a CM and eventually got one in Fellaini but at a price that far exceeds his value IMO. After publicly chasing so many superior targets, their window has to go down as a failure.

4/10

Newcastle United

Did most of their buying in January but still look short on depth and only added the loan signing of Remy. The arrival of Kinnear is as toe curling as Remy is good though. Needed more.

3/10

Norwich City

Some good additions on paper such as Redmond, Van Wolfswinkel, Fer and Hooper. Have a personal feeling that they might flatter to deceive so my score might appear a little harsh.

6/10

Southampton

I have very similar thoughts about their buys as I do Norwich's. No doubt they've bought some quality in Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo but I wouldn't say any of them worried me.

6/10

Stoke City

Been bargain hunting a little bit and have made some astute additions IMO in Pieters, Muniesa and Arnautovic and the Ireland and Assaidi loans if Hughes can get them playing as their YouTube highlight reels suggest. Would have liked to see more investment though considering the task Hughes has.

6/10

Sunderland

Lots and lots and lots of signings but I'm struggling to see the quality. Giaccherini might be half decent but I don't rate many of their other buys. Rating slightly higher than the review suggests as I may well be ignorant.

5/10

Swansea City

Needed depth with the Europa schedule added and have brought it in at good prices. Think Canas, Pozuelo and Shelvey could prove to be bargains and Bony should come good but they needed another quality forward IMO.

6/10

Tottenham Hotspur

Have coped with the inevitable exit of Bale magnificently with several top quality additions to the first team and squad with no net spend. Team needs to gel but when they get going they should be very good.

9/10

West Bromwich Albion

Anelka, Sessegnon and Sinclair should add some quality but on the whole I don't think they've strengthened as well as those around them. Lots of loan additions too which isn't the best way to capitalise on their good finish last term.

4/10

West Ham United

Disappointing window with some expensive signings that didn't deserve to be so in Carroll and Downing. Needed much more depth up front and, like WBA, should have capitalised on their good last season much better.

4/10

Thought this was a really good summary, good work mate.

I watched him do very little against United over two legs in the Cl last year.

I hardly remember both legs but I remember in the 2nd leg Ozils sexy semi assist.. :P

Swansea, Liverpool, Chelsea and id say everton have done a decent job as well this window, Arsenal haven't really had a good window, Ozil is class don't get me wrong but We are short in almost every position..

Somehow forgot Spurs, good window for them.

Can't remember the last time i saw Manchester Utd humiliated in front of the whole world.

Practically every Midfielder they tried to sign either rejected them or fell through, In the end they have had to over pay to land Fellaini.

You have to ask the question whether Moyes is out of his depth on the transfer front as it seems to me as if he is.

The fact of the matter that the only player willing to join him was from his old team says a lot in my honest opinion.

I can't help but ask the question IF Fergie was still there do you think Manchester Utd would have been rejected by all these players?

I think the answer would have been NO. It shows just how much a pulling force Fergie was at signing the very best players available.

Think it's been a lot better transfer window for us than that' date=' as the fact we've kept hold of the likes of Michu, Williams, Vorm and Laudrup despite speculation was huge. We've also brought in Alvaro, who should be a steady enough back up forward who'll fit in to our system but realistically we weren't going to have a budget to bring in a quality forward in this window.[/quote']

I guess you could argue that but I didn't see many concrete links for Michu or Vorm to move away, as far as I can remember Laudrup was only linked to Barca who tend to promote from within and Williams would have been good to sell at the prices reported. Maybe, had Bony hit the ground running, I'd have rated you higher but I'm happy to go to 6.5 :P

Thought this was a really good summary' date=' good work mate.[/quote']

Cheers :)