Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Chelsea - Hazard' date=' Mata, Willian, Oscar, Lampard, Ramires, Mikel, De Bruyne, Schurrle

City - Silva, Navas, Fernandinho, Yaya, Nasri, Milner, Garcia, Rodwell

Arsenal - Ozil, Cazorla, Wheelchair, Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rosicky, Diaby

Tottenham - Lamela, Eriksen, Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro, Capoue, Holtby, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Gylfi

United - Carrick, Fellaini, Giggs, Cleverley, Nani, Valencia, Young, Kagawa, Anderson, Zaha

Quality wise I think your midfield bunch is 5th and for a team aspiring to be champions in every competition they're competing in, that's pretty mediocre.[/quote']

I'll buy that on paper you may look at the above and feel that United are "quality wise" behind the others. I look at Man City and see great quality that was 11pts behind United's rubbish players last year, Chelsea have too many players of a forward thinking mindset, Arsenal the same, Tottenham are packed full of players that fan boys love but have actually proved/won very little in their careers so far.

You can argue all day the rankings in the terms of strength on paper, the reality is that referring to the (improved) midfield of the team that finished 11 points ahead of City (14 points ahead of Chelsea, 16 points ahead of Arsenal, 17 points ahead of Spurs) last season as "laughable" represents an incredible naivety.

I actually think Spurs have done great business and like them as a club as they play decent stuff ...... But you have lost Bale who is actually the only individual player that I would have liked to see in our "laughable" midfield and now he's gone.

I could be wrong, come May next year we could be in 6th/7th and everything you pontificate is true. I suspect not ;)

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

I'll buy that on paper you may look at the above and feel that United are "quality wise" behind the others. I look at Man City and see great quality that was 11pts behind United's rubbish players last year' date=' Chelsea have too many players of a forward thinking mindset, Arsenal the same, Tottenham are packed full of players that fan boys love but have actually proved/won very little in their careers so far.

You can argue all day the rankings in the terms of strength on paper, the reality is that referring to the (improved) midfield of the team that finished 11 points ahead of City (14 points ahead of Chelsea, 16 points ahead of Arsenal, 17 points ahead of Spurs) last season as "laughable" represents an incredible naivety.

I actually think Spurs have done great business and like them as a club as they play decent stuff ...... But you have lost Bale who is actually the only individual player that I would have liked to see in our "laughable" midfield and now he's gone.

I could be wrong, come May next year we could be in 6th/7th and everything you pontificate is true. I suspect not ;)[/quote']

I see you keep quoting last season. City have improved on the pitch and off it, Chelsea have improved on the pitch and off it, Arsenal have improved on the pitch, Tottenham have improved on the pitch. United have improved with the arrival of Fellaini but that is far outweighted by the extra year on the aging squad and Moyes replacing SAF. Like Dougie House you seem to think this means that I think you'll finish outside the top 4, no I haven't said that. Infact I said the opposite.

If you're seriously saying Valencia is better than Lamela and either Eriksen or Paulinho wouldn't get in your side over Cleverley then you're a very funny man.

You do realise that a midfield is only 4/5 members of an 11 man team? :rolleyes:

Or are you so desperate to put words in my mouth and mis-quote me?

We had a team that isn't that yet due to several new arrivals. They were holding on for a 1-0 and all of a sudden they're world beaters again? :rolleyes:

Who do you support out of curiosity?

I actually support Leeds, so have no reason whatsoever to cheer for Man U.

I just think it's interesting all of this Man U bashing...before this it was Arsenal, but then they bring in one quality player and now it's Man U getting it. Man U brought in one player last season I seem to recall (all be it a very good one!) and went on to win the league at a canter. A lack of transfer activity doesn't always mean anything - personally I question some of the buys made this window, especially by Man City (over-rated & over-priced players) and Spurs/Chelsea (too many players bought who play the same positions). Sometimes teams seem to buy players for the sake of it....

And I don't think I'm putting words in your mouth - you said the midfield of Man U was mediocre compared to Spurs. I don't buy it - you have some highly sort after players, but untested and unproven in the premier league. Man U have a midfield that have won a lot of trophies, and have added to it with Fellaini. I just don't see how you can describe them as mediocre. Perhaps they are a little workmanlike, and don't have tons of flair, but whether it's grinding out points at Stoke, defending manfully at the Bernebau, or ripping up Swansea on the counter - I'd take Man U's midfield over Spurs anyday. The flair comes in the form of Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, even Nani on form. When Spurs' midfiled have won the sort of stuff the likes of Carrick have - then we can talk... ;)

I was with Romelu in his room at the team hotel on Monday and I only left when I was sure he was joining us
Kevin Mirallas told Everton's official website.
I was surprised to learn we were in for him, because there had been no inkling, but once I got word, I really went to work.

In short: Kevin Mirallas put in work in Romelus hotel room on Monday to convince the young striker in joining him at Everton :P

You do realise that a midfield is only 4/5 members of an 11 man team? :rolleyes:

Or are you so desperate to put words in my mouth and mis-quote me?

We had a team that isn't that yet due to several new arrivals. They were holding on for a 1-0 and all of a sudden they're world beaters again? :rolleyes:

Who do you support out of curiosity?

Don't flatter yourself. We played on the counter the whole match and created at least half a dozen clear chances. You had two goal mouth scrambles.

I see you keep quoting last season. City have improved on the pitch and off it' date=' Chelsea have improved on the pitch and off it, Arsenal have improved on the pitch, Tottenham have improved on the pitch. United have improved with the arrival of Fellaini but that is far outweighted by the extra year on the aging squad and Moyes replacing SAF. Like Dougie House you seem to think this means that I think you'll finish outside the top 4, no I haven't said that. Infact I said the opposite.

If you're seriously saying Valencia is better than Lamela and either Eriksen or Paulinho wouldn't get in your side over Cleverley then you're a very funny man.[/quote']

There is no doubt Valencia is a much better player then Lamela and Eriksen.

Don't flatter yourself. We played on the counter the whole match and created at least half a dozen clear chances. You had two goal mouth scrambles.

We had the pace and the momentum throghout nearly the entire 2nd half ... until AVB had a breakdown and took Townsend off ... that's where you won the game.

I see you keep quoting last season. City have improved on the pitch and off it' date=' Chelsea have improved on the pitch and off it, Arsenal have improved on the pitch, Tottenham have improved on the pitch. United have improved with the arrival of Fellaini but that is far outweighted by the extra year on the aging squad and Moyes replacing SAF. Like Dougie House you seem to think this means that I think you'll finish outside the top 4, no I haven't said that. Infact I said the opposite.

If you're seriously saying Valencia is better than Lamela and either Eriksen or Paulinho wouldn't get in your side over Cleverley then you're a very funny man.[/quote']

I keep quoting last season? History and experience is a major factor in predicting forward performance?

Everything you have put above regarding city improving on and off the pitch, Chelsea etc bla bla is all conjecture. City fans will tell you (the bright ones) that they are hopeful that they have improved their manager/players but 3 games in and a loss to Cardiff means that they don;t really know until a sufficient amount of time has passed. The rest the same.

I could argue that with all your signings, for example, you actually haven't improved as you have lost your one world class player.

I don't know whether I'd have Lamela ahead of Valencia ... he's only been playing for 5 minutes in a poor Roma team before you threw £30m at him. Valencia is a safer bet at this minute in time and if you offered me a swap today I wouldn't take it. I might change my mind in 10 months time but as I've said before, your team looks all lovely and cuddly on paper but what you ahve is a collection of on the face it good players whom have actually yet to play for the biggest clubs or win anything at the highest level. You could be world beaters but I always prefer to reserve judgement until I see actual evidence in front of me.

Beating Palace & Swansea via a penalty and losing to Ozil-less Arsenal doesn't convince me at this stage that you will be world beaters.

I'd have Paulinho and Eriksen over Cleverley but I'm not so sure that I;d have them over Fellaini and definitely not over Carrick.

I wouldn't even try to be funny, there are already far greater comedians on here than I could ever hope to be.

"Midfield is laughable"

"Struggle to make top four"

As a City fan, I'm confident we improved in the window. We lost to Cardiff because of defensive errors (regardless of how well Cardiff played) and we have acted to plug that gap in our squad with Demichelis. Kind of wish we experiment with something other than a 442 though as that doesn't suit Silva at all.

I'm not suggesting United will struggle because of their midfield, but because of their manager. United looked devoid of ideas to equalise against Liverpool and I assume they were as nondescript in attack against Chelsea. Whilst both are good opponents, this will certainly encourage others to think they can get a result. They've lost their scare factor in Ferguson.

As a City fan' date=' I'm confident we improved in the window. We lost to Cardiff because of defensive errors (regardless of how well Cardiff played) and we have acted to plug that gap in our squad with Demichelis. Kind of wish we experiment with something other than a 442 though as that doesn't suit Silva at all.

I'm not suggesting United will struggle because of their midfield, but because of their manager. United looked devoid of ideas to equalise against Liverpool and I assume they were as nondescript in attack against Chelsea. Whilst both are good opponents, this will certainly encourage others to think they can get a result. They've lost their scare factor in Ferguson.[/quote']

Ha Ha - you're supposed to back me up Stuart. :P

If we have struggled at the end of the season and we do indeed finish adrift of the top four, I will come back on here and apologise to LAB, Vendetta and anyone else whom is predicting the demise of United for your incredible foresight.

I am 100% confident that the apparent confidence from many of United's demise is out of hope more than anything else.

Loving been written off :D

;2721517']If I remeber we won the game in the 22nd minute?

A game is usually won when the ref blows the whistle for the final time ... ? Unless you played a game that was 22 minutes long?

You only had 1 goal up on us ... it was a close game and you scored from a defensive mistake from our D-line ... we had every shot of getting back into the game up until AVB subbed Townsend off.

A game is usually won when the ref blows the whistle for the final time ... ? Unless you played a game that was 22 minutes long?

You only had 1 goal up on us ... it was a close game and you scored from a defensive mistake from our D-line ... we had every shot of getting back into the game up until AVB subbed Townsend off.

Townsend FC? You played 11 men? So surely....

If we have struggled at the end of the season and we do indeed finish adrift of the top four' date=' I will come back on here and apologise to LAB, Vendetta and anyone else whom is predicting the demise of United for your incredible foresight.

I am 100% confident that the apparent confidence from many of United's demise is out of hope more than anything else.

Loving been written off :D[/quote']

I think you're weaker than last season. Far lesser manager, important players are reaching their last legs and you haven't strengthened significantly in the transfer market.

Then you've got to factor in the activity of other clubs. Chelsea have got a manager who'll get more results (despite being as dull as watching paint dry) and have made several top class additions to an already cracking squad. City have done very similarly, bringing in a manager renowned for his man management to get our good squad performing as they should. Think we've also bought very well. Spurs have a far stronger squad this season than last, as do Liverpool and Arsenal may have a thin squad (infernito, you can't use Sagna as a RB and CB at the same time) but have added a world class player who should boost the rest of the squad in Ozil.

If we have struggled at the end of the season and we do indeed finish adrift of the top four' date=' I will come back on here and apologise to LAB, Vendetta and anyone else whom is predicting the demise of United for your incredible foresight.

Loving been written off :D[/quote']

You can tell United have lost their edge. Clearly Ferguson leaving has had a detrimental effect on the players. I watched the Liverpool game and they ran out comfortable winners, if Ferguson was the manager, United would have peppered Liverpool in the last 15 minutes and thrown everything including the kitchen sink at them.

Based on the games i have seen so far, Manchester United have played worse football than City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool.

You can tell United have lost their edge. Clearly Ferguson leaving has had a detrimental effect on the players. I watched the Liverpool game and they ran out comfortable winners' date=' if Ferguson was the manager, United would have peppered Liverpool in the last 15 minutes and thrown everything including the kitchen sink at them.

Based on the games i have seen so far, Manchester United have played worse football than City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool.[/quote']

You haven't watched many games then.

I'll add you to the list Kirkky.

You haven't watched many games then.

I'll add you to the list Kirkky.

They only played their first game well. against Chelsea both teams sat back and i think were hoping for the draw. against Liverpool they didn't have a clue on how to break the defence down and totally ran out of ideas, only a Van Persie shot wide was the closest they came. Liverpool keep the ball well and are much more fluid in attack than last year. Chelsea have the Mourinho factor and they took Bayern (best team in the world ATM) all the way to penalties (if it wasn't for Ramires stupidity/a Martinez last gasp equaliser they would have won) Tottenham have signed an array of players to strengthen their squad and you can tell they are off the pace as they need time to gel but have still been playing some neat football and once they do gel they will be a force to be reckoned with. Arsenal have signed a world class player in Ozil, yes they had a blip against Villa but still play good football. City play really well and even though they lost to Cardiff are still good to watch going forward.

And this brings me to United. Lost Scholes, Giggs has lost his legs :confused: Evra is only getting worse, Rooney is unhappy, Moyes is clueless and they've lost Ferguson.

Liverpool are 5 points in front of them already (without their best player), which puts it into perspective from last season for me.

If we have struggled at the end of the season and we do indeed finish adrift of the top four' date=' I will come back on here and apologise to LAB, Vendetta and anyone else whom is predicting the demise of United for your incredible foresight.[/quote']

No need to wait for the end of the season, you already struggled. Ha! :P

RE - Kirky, I agree about the mourinho factor and ever since he was appointed i predicted Chelsea will win the league and probably more, I disagree about bayern being the best in the world now though. Bayern are playing pretty nice football but not as good as last season Pep has changed it and they don't look as good, It will be all be about Chelsea this year me thinks.

RE - Kirky' date=' I agree about the mourinho factor and ever since he was appointed i predicted Chelsea will win the league and probably more, I disagree about bayern being the best in the world now though. Bayern are playing pretty nice football but not as good as last season Pep has changed it and they don't look as good, It will be all be about Chelsea this year me thinks.[/quote']

Mourinho need to flush his ego* and start playing Mata.

* I think he got something against Spanish after his stint at RM. lol

They only played their first game well. against Chelsea both teams sat back and i think were hoping for the draw. against Liverpool they didn't have a clue on how to break the defence down and totally ran out of ideas' date=' only a Van Persie shot wide was the closest they came. Liverpool keep the ball well and are much more fluid in attack than last year. Chelsea have the Mourinho factor and they took Bayern (best team in the world ATM) all the way to penalties (if it wasn't for Ramires stupidity/a Martinez last gasp equaliser they would have won) Tottenham have signed an array of players to strengthen their squad and you can tell they are off the pace as they need time to gel but have still been playing some neat football and once they do gel they will be a force to be reckoned with. Arsenal have signed a world class player in Ozil, yes they had a blip against Villa but still play good football. City play really well and even though they lost to Cardiff are still good to watch going forward.

And this brings me to United. Lost Scholes, Giggs has lost his legs :confused: Evra is only getting worse, Rooney is unhappy, Moyes is clueless and they've lost Ferguson.

Liverpool are 5 points in front of them already (without their best player), which puts it into perspective from last season for me.[/quote']

Let's break this horror of a post down:

One, we did not sit back against Chelsea unless I was watching a different game. We weren't overly adventurous going forward either but that's not equivalent to sitting back. There was only one team sitting back and it wasn't us.

Two, Have you ever watched us at Anfield over the last 10 years or so? If you have then you might find that this was one of our better performances there. Last season we never looked like breaking down Liverpool either and that was a Liverpool side down to 10 men.

Tottenham have been average and worse than us so far this season. Despite their array of signings, I'll be surprised if they finish in the top 4 and you can quote me on that.

City have had one good game and that was against a hapless Newcastle at home and were very lucky to beat Hull at the weekend.

Losing Scholes is largely irrelevant as he didn't contribute much last season. Giggs won't be a regular starter once we get all our attacking players fit so him losing legs is not much of an issue.Evra has had a good start to the season so I am sure how you come to the conclusion that he's getting worse. The guy is machine like. Rooney can stay unhappy all he wants if he keeps performing (which he will). We still have Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez and Rafael yet to return to full fitness.

Last season we won the title despite Rooney struggling for form and fitness, all our wingers being rubbish at once, our defense being unusually shaky at the start and Kagawa adapting to the league.

I don't think you will many United fans who think we'll win the league (I'll be happy with 3rd) but if you're going to criticise then do it valid points. 'Moyes is clueless' is not one of them.