Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

The Wumming on 606 is mainly restricted to the boards of the bigger clubs. 606 is a unique forum in a way as it integrated all the sports. They were a fantastic place to discuss and read about some of the lesser sports or a discussion on the smaller clubs. The reasons given by the bbc are quite pathetic. And would it really cost a lot to run it?

Problem is I'm sure the majority of users access the boards of the big clubs (I certainly usually do). The cost of moderating the site must be massive as the forum's huge and automating it (as I'm sure it is in part) would cause complaints. Besides, along with the online cut the BBC are cutting a lot of coverage of the lesser sports which is a massive shame. If you want to discuss football you can do it pretty much anywhere. Want to talk about table tennis and, I agree, 606 is unique.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Problem is I'm sure the majority of users access the boards of the big clubs (I certainly usually do). The cost of moderating the site must be massive as the forum's huge and automating it (as I'm sure it is in part) would cause complaints. Besides' date=' along with the online cut the BBC are cutting a lot of coverage of the lesser sports which is a massive shame. If you want to discuss football you can do it pretty much anywhere. Want to talk about table tennis and, I agree, 606 is unique.[/quote']

Thats another point. They are cutting coverage of the not so important sports but lets be honest its not as if their coverage is fantastic anyway. Even a sport like Cricket dosen't get the coverage it deserves other than when the Ashes are on every 2 years:rolleyes: Most of the news and updates on sports other than football that I get is through 606. The cost can easily be reduced by doing what SM do here, appoint moderators from the members. Of course it would be a lot more difficult on 606 because its quite tough to distinguish wums from the sensible posters but it can be done. And lets be honest more people would miss 606 than Mark Lawrenson funny predictions or Phil Mcnulty expertise...

Thats another point. They are cutting coverage of the not so important sports but lets be honest its not as if their coverage is fantastic anyway. Even a sport like Cricket dosen't get the coverage it deserves other than when the Ashes are on every 2 years:rolleyes: Most of the news and updates on sports other than football that I get is through 606. The cost can easily be reduced by doing what SM do here' date=' appoint moderators from the members. Of course it would be a lot more difficult on 606 because its quite tough to distinguish wums from the sensible posters but it can be done. And lets be honest more people would miss 606 than Mark Lawrenson funny predictions or Phil Mcnulty expertise...[/quote']

606 in terms of a forum is well out-dated. The format is pretty woeful. Appointing moderators is perhaps something they considered but there's no moderator/user interaction, no way to tell who the sensible posters are without a lot of reading and there's also bound to be an element of bias with club pages. I do agree that other BBC items are far worse though...

606 in terms of a forum is well out-dated. The format is pretty woeful. Appointing moderators is perhaps something they considered but there's no moderator/user interaction' date=' no way to tell who the sensible posters are without a lot of reading and there's also bound to be an element of bias with club pages. I do agree that other BBC items are far worse though...[/quote']

Very true but funnily that's one of the things I like about it. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they changed their mind judging by the reaction to it being pulled down.

Gray has said another couple of "sexist" comments whereas Keys has just the original comments.

Is talking about how a women look's sexist? All burton said is that there was supposed to be a looker of a linesman and all that gray done was disagreed!.

This country's gone crazy.

Don't get me wrong i dont like him and how biased he is but too lose your job over a remark that was made off air is in my opinion stupid. We've all made remarks about people behind there backs I.E work colleagues etc Haven't we?

Is talking about how a women look's sexist? All burton said is that there was supposed to be a looker of a linesman and all that gray done was disagreed!.

Don't get me wrong i dont like him and how biased he is but too lose your job over a remark that was made off air is in my opinion stupid. We've all made remarks about people behind there backs I.E work colleagues etc Haven't we?

Gray is different to everyone else because it isn't in the public domain if you or I said it. If I said those things to some of my friends or whatever it is not going to end up in the Daily Mail if someone overhears it. Sky have probably made an example of him just to show they do not agree with what he said. If they kept him then it just gives Karen Brady more ammunition about sexism in football.

Its a joke tbh.. just a bunch of dusty old women complaining and causing a huge fuss over nothing, a bit of banter which we all have, not as if they personally slandered her, and now Gray's been sacked, utter joke!

How long has been on Sky for, 10-15 years maybe. And a couple of remarks and he's sacked, i agree with the fact it's wrong but female officials know what there getting into and i don't see why anyone would take major offence to those sorts of comments.

I don't think it's fair that someone should lose his job, it's not even seriously sexist he was saying it in a joking manor.

I don't think it was sexist, hence the speechmarks :P

I agree though, way too much political correctness in the world and to get the sack for it is ridiculous.

Gray has said another couple of "sexist" comments whereas Keys has just the original comments.

Hasn't Key's apologised to her? Haven't heard anything about Gray apologising (Maybe he has though?)

Apart from the public apology from Sky Sports on behalf of the pair, Keys actually had the decency to call her though.

You kids might think it's just political correctness gone mad, but Sky have a reputation to uphold. They cannot be seen as a media outlet that promotes/encourages sexism, whatever form it may be. You've all seen how much bad press Keys and Gray have gotten for this, and this reflects badly on Sky. They cannot under any circumstances be associated with such thoughts and opinions, even if they are just "banter". They've made the correct decision in sacking Gray, and I wouldn't be surprised if it put off other channels like ITV and ESPN from hiring him due to the association - just look at Big Ron and his exploits on television in the past decade.

First of all this is exactly correct -

Gray is different to everyone else because it isn't in the public domain if you or I said it. If I said those things to some of my friends or whatever it is not going to end up in the Daily Mail if someone overhears it. Sky have probably made an example of him just to show they do not agree with what he said. If they kept him then it just gives Karen Brady more ammunition about sexism in football.

It's been made perfectly clear in the past that anything broadcasters pick up in the commentary box, on air or not, they treat as fair game. If you don't say anything in the first place then it has no chance of incriminating you.

Secondly the idea that they're just being LADS and this is just good BANTS is, in my humble opinion, rubbish. Having listened to the initial tape and then watched the Andy Burton clip it's clear that while Gray (and Keys) may not be inherently sexist or have a problem with women in general, they both certainly have a problem with women in football. There is absolutely nothing jocular about their tone when discussing Sian Massey or Karen Brady, they're downright condescending and nasty on both occasions.

For what it's worth it's probably been overplayed somewhat and all told I have my doubts whether it's a sackable offence (though according to some whispers Mr Gray signed his own P45 by displeasing Murdoch and NI by suing the NOTW), but I can't have any sympathy for anyone involved. They should know the score and the opinions they're peddling are prehistoric. Only themselves to blame.

Also - 'I cringed at the smug in-jokes, the back-slapping and the succession of childish nicknames' - Brian Clough lays into TV pundits, 09/01/86

Nice to see we've come a long way in 25 years.

Oh and Littlejohn defended them in the Mail this morning, thats enough to suggest to me they're in the wrong.

How can anyone say it was only a joke/banter? Listen to it.. it's clear that they are being completely serious. :confused:

Is it acceptable to ask another Sky Sports worker (Charlotte Jackson) to tuck a microphone pack down his trousers, then start laughing? :rolleyes:

Read some comments that "Sky Sports will never be the same again". Well I guess it is true, now this moron has gone they might get a replacement who actually knows something about the game.