Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

Like your sig but your setting yourself up for a huge fall' date=' I mean he could choose one of many, your loss to wolves and your loss to Blackpool spring to mind :D.[/quote']

Its all about the moment mate. This wonderful result only happened today, whislt them, well, its like they happened in another decade. :D

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

They don't have to...whereas Liverpool have been living in the past for the last 10 years.

You say decade, in which weve won

FA Cup: 2000–01, 2005–06

League Cup: 2000–01, 2002–03;

FA Community Shield: 2001, 2006;

UEFA Champions League: 2004–05;

UEFA Cup: 2000–01

UEFA Super Cup: 2001, 2005

Muuuuuuupettt. :)

Point is mate, i never said united fans live in the past, it was just Stu dreaming again.

Guest JackWWFC

Scholes may have used his hand late on but what a save it brought from Hennesey! Amazing!

Great header from Elokobi for the first goal too. Really good finish!

Elokobi is such a liability when Defending though :o

Guest JackWWFC

Commentator on the Spud game has just said if there's any contact then the player has the right to go down. Is that correct?

I always say you only go down when you get forced to..

You dont shove yourself to the ground..you carry on untill you FALL to the ground.

Commentator on the Spud game has just said if there's any contact then the player has the right to go down. Is that correct?

I think that is more of an observation on Motson's part than an actual rule or whatever. I would agree if that was the case because sticking your foot out is just asking for the player to go down.

I thought he was calling it as a moral issue rather than within the actual laws of the game.

I'd agree for what it's worth. If a defender is stupid/poor/misjudged enough to give you the opportunity to win a penalty, particularly in a situation like Cahill's where the shot was going to be tough to get off and on target, then most intelligent players would take it, it's a no-brainer. Allied with the fact that defenders seem to have more license to foul in the box without conceding a penalty (shirt pulling has no consequences within 18 yards from goal a disproportionate amount of the time) and I'd feel no remorse at going down at all.

I thought he was calling it as a moral issue rather than within the actual laws of the game.

I'd agree for what it's worth. If a defender is stupid/poor/misjudged enough to give you the opportunity to win a penalty' date=' particularly in a situation like Cahill's where the shot was going to be tough to get off and on target, then most intelligent players would take it, it's a no-brainer. Allied with the fact that defenders seem to have more license to foul in the box without conceding a penalty (shirt pulling has no consequences within 18 yards from goal a disproportionate amount of the time) and I'd feel no remorse at going down at all.[/quote']

I agree to a certain extent, but Motson used the phrase "entitled to go down" which I think would be a really bad route to go down. There's minimal contact all the time in the box, slightly tugging the players shirt etc, and we shouldn't be giving the attacker the right to go down if he feels any contact. That would just encourage diving, and players would be throwing themselves down at every given opportunity.