Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Being in a relegation battle though it takes one key injury and you are going to struggle.

Quite clearly Allardyce set West Ham up this season for Andy Carroll to be the focal point of the team. A lot of the 0-0s they had this season probably could have been converted to wins if he wasn't injured. You can't really compensate for that.

Wigan went down last season because their 5 million pound defender Ivan Ramis got injured for the season. They conceded 73 goals giving them no hope of staying up. Sometimes you need the luck of fitness in football.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Being in a relegation battle though it takes one key injury and you are going to struggle.

Quite clearly Allardyce set West Ham up this season for Andy Carroll to be the focal point of the team. A lot of the 0-0s they had this season probably could have been converted to wins if he wasn't injured. You can't really compensate for that.

Wigan went down last season because their 5 million pound defender Ivan Ramis got injured for the season. They conceded 73 goals giving them no hope of staying up. Sometimes you need the luck of fitness in football.

Wigan didn't get relegated just because Ramis was injured. He's not exactly Thiago Silva :rolleyes:

I agree to an extent but there's only so many excuses you can make for a professional football coach.

This just proves he cannot adapt from his HOOOOOOOF IT! tactics.

Carroll got injured in preseason. If Allardyce cannot work around that and adapt then he shouldn't be a Premier League manager.

You can compensate for that, no manager in there right mind would base there entire season around a player who is chronically injured, that is just muddled thinking to say the least and incredibly stupid strategy.

He put all his eggs in one basket and now he is paying for his mistake, when you manage a side like West Ham the sum of the parts is all important.

Plus Wigan did not concede 73 goals because they did not have Ivan Ramis, seriously if you think he is the reason they went down it is just plain wrong.

Any side can miss a player but if a manager can not find a way of compensating for one player's absence in a tactical framework that says more about them IMO.

Wigan didn't get relegated just because Ramis was injured. He's not exactly Thiago Silva :rolleyes:

What even is this? No one claimed he is Thiago Silva :confused:

Wigan losing a 5 million pound player for the season is quite clearly going to detriment their team negatively.

They went to White Hart Lane and won 1-0 with him in the team, whereas in the previous season they lost that fixture 9-1...

You can compensate for that' date=' no manager in there right mind would base there entire season around a player who is chronically injured, that is just muddled thinking to say the least and incredibly stupid strategy.

[b']He put all his eggs in one basket and now he is paying for his mistake, when you manage a side like West Ham the sum of the parts is all important.[/b]

Plus Wigan did not concede 73 goals because they did not have Ivan Ramis, seriously if you think he is the reason they went down it is just plain wrong.

Any side can miss a player but if a manager can not find a way of compensating for one player's absence in a tactical framework that says more about them IMO.

West Ham with Carlos Tevez say hi.

What even is this? No one claimed he is Thiago Silva :confused:

Wigan losing a 5 million pound player for the season is quite clearly going to detriment their team negatively.

They went to White Hart Lane and won 1-0 with him in the team' date=' whereas in the previous season they lost that fixture 9-1...[/quote']

I think you're missing the point somewhat.

I refuse to accept that Ivan Ramis' injury is the reason behind Wigan's relegation

I refuse to accept that Ivan Ramis' injury is the reason behind Wigan's relegation

Yeah, this.

Wigan didn't go down because Ivan Ramis got injured. They went down because they were quite frankly awful.

One player being absent can cause a team to drop points in a few games but not to be relegated over the course of a 38 game season.

West Ham with Carlos Tevez say hi.

Are you trying to suggest Andy Carroll is like Calos Tevez :P

Tevez did not cost hardly anything and West Ham did not blow near enough there entire budget on an injury prone guy who has never been a goalscorer. not to mention West Ham had a many more good players a the time.

No player can save a club single handadly. Allardyce went into the season with ne striker, a striker in Maiga he did not want, let Carlton Cole go then realised he had no numbers so Embaressingly he to resign the payer he was quite happy to let go of.

His entire strategy and management of his squad going into the season has bordered on frankly Embaressing.

Well Roberto Martinez seemed to think that was a big reason and I agree with him. They flirt with relegation every season but it's tough losing one of your better defenders.

Yeah' date=' this.

[b']Wigan didn't go down because Ivan Ramis got injured. They went down because they were quite frankly awful.[/b]

One player being absent can cause a team to drop points in a few games but not to be relegated over the course of a 38 game season.

And why were they awful? What was their weakest area on the pitch?

And why were they awful? What was their weakest area on the pitch?

They were awful because Martinez insisted on playing such wide open football that constantly leaves your back four/three exposed with little or no regard to defensive solidarity.

That is all well and good if you have absolute top quality in the forward areas but they had Connor Salmon and the likes etc....

He forgot he was managing Wigan not Real Madrid. Playng the way he did with the players he had available was the biggest reason, the better teams and nearly all the PL had a better team/squad than Wigan will eventually expose you as it so proved.

They were awful because Martinez insisted on playing such wide open football that constantly leaves your back four/three exposed with little or no regard to defensive solidarity.

That is all well and good if you have absolute top quality in the forward areas but they had Connor Salmon and the likes etc....

He forgot he was managing Wigan not Real Madrid. Playng the way he did with the players he had available was the biggest reason' date=' the better teams and nearly all the PL had a better team/squad than Wigan will eventually expose you as it so proved.[/quote']

Yes but you are forgetting Wigan stayed up the previous season by playing like that. It allowed them to beat Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

They also won the FA Cup with that football.

Financially they had no hope of competing with literally any other team in the league. In the transfer markets they were making more than they were spending without fail. They had to rely on their big players like N'Zogbia and Moses. You don't really have a choice in their position.

I just find it funny though that Alex Ferguson is a genius in signing an injury prone RVP who almost single handedly carried them to a league title.

Relying on one player isn't something unusual or alien in the modern game.

https://vine.co/v/h3bpqI9VhgA

Roger Johnson giving a master class in the art of defending.

Wigan were relegated because financially, they were one of the weakest three clubs in the league. Relegation is seen as this massive failure, but Wigan were always likely to be relegated from the Premier League especially when they began to be run sustainably under Martinez. He achieved great success there with three survivals against the odds and an FA Cup win.

never rated Allardyce i think a big factor in his huge pay is his experience that and west ham just like to throw stupid money about at poor players.

i just hope he's a dyeing breed of british managers who just lump it up the field and hope for a goal.

As for the guy who came out as gay(i cant remember how to spell his name) its a shame it has taken him this long to come out players shouldn't be bothered about coming out a lot of players are doing it when they retire to avoid the idiotic fans and homophobic chants some people still live in the stone age

Well no he's not done well at Newcastle' date=' but did do very well at Blackburn and Bolton and has yet to be relegated from the Premier League.[/quote']Worst thing Blackburn did was get rid of Allardyce.

And he's not all "hoof ball" as people like to belittle it, wasn't at Blackburn anyway.

But agree they've put all their eggs in one basket with Carroll, which was a mistake. The lad's proven to be a flaw in the data analysis methods of both Allardyce and Comolli.

The thing is, Allardyce seems to realise the flaws, whereas Comolli's still trying to make excuses for his Liverpool failure.

The criticism of Sam Allardyce is ridiculous. Sure, his style is horrific, but if I'm a mid-table team to relegation candidate, my number one objective is to remain in the top flight. This is what Allardyce does - he keeps teams in the league. Bolton did nothing for decades, Allardyce established them as a respectable top flight team. At Blackburn, he did good things and was sacked for no good reason, purely down to Venkys' incompetence - they would never have gotten even close to relegation had they kept him. Sure, he had a nothing spell at Newcastle, but bigger clubs have higher expectations and just surviving isn't good enough.

Any promoted team would stand a very good chance of surviving if they had Allardyce in charge, something you can't say for all teams that come into the league. West Ham would be absolutely mad to sack him, because he will keep them up - I guarantee it, 1000%. He keeps teams in the league, and for the rewards that brings, £3m a year is nothing.

The criticism of Sam Allardyce is ridiculous. Sure' date=' his style is horrific, but if I'm a mid-table team to relegation candidate, my number one objective is to remain in the top flight. This is what Allardyce does - he keeps teams in the league. Bolton did nothing for decades, Allardyce established them as a respectable top flight team. At Blackburn, he did good things and was sacked for no good reason, purely down to Venkys' incompetence - they would never have gotten even close to relegation had they kept him. Sure, he had a nothing spell at Newcastle, but bigger clubs have higher expectations and just surviving isn't good enough.

Any promoted team would stand a very good chance of surviving if they had Allardyce in charge, something you can't say for all teams that come into the league. West Ham would be absolutely mad to sack him, because he will keep them up - I guarantee it, 1000%. He keeps teams in the league, and for the rewards that brings, £3m a year is nothing.[/quote']

It's a myth and somewhat misleading, just like Redknapp's that he simply 'keeps teams up'. He absolutely would have taken us down had we not sacked him.

West Ham need more than simply staying up. They need to turn themselves into a top half team at least in order to bring in more fans to fill that Olympic Stadium when they move in. The next year and a half are absolutely vital for West Ham because if they don't get it right, it could all go Pete Tong.

I think you're right that he'll keep them up though. Sunderland, Palace and Norwich i can see going down.