Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

Probably the most sensible appointment the club could have made. Certainly out of his depth at Liverpool but if he can bring the defensive organisation he displayed at Fulham along with the uncanny ability to get the most from previously average players like Bobby Zamora, Chris Baird or John Paintsil then he's the best chance we've got. It's worth noting that he's our Head Coach and as such the club's structure should limit his ability to pack the squad full of aging journeyman, criminally average Scandinavians and and other sub-standard signings he'd otherwise eye up. Also good for Appy's development (assuming he stays) to work under such an experienced manager for 18 months.

And he certainly won't have come cheap (by Albion standards), so I'm pleasantly surprised there. The sort of show of ambition we're unaccustomed to.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Probably the most sensible appointment the club could have made. Certainly out of his depth at Liverpool but if he can bring the defensive organisation he displayed at Fulham along with the uncanny ability to get the most from previously average players like Bobby Zamora' date=' Chris Baird or John Paintsil then he's the best chance we've got. It's worth noting that he's our Head Coach and as such the club's structure should limit his ability to pack the squad full of aging journeyman, criminally average Scandinavians and and other sub-standard signings he'd otherwise eye up. Also good for Appy's development (assuming he stays) to work under such an experienced manager for 18 months.

And he certainly won't have come cheap (by Albion standards), so I'm pleasantly surprised there. The sort of show of ambition we're unaccustomed to.[/quote']

Agreed, he could do a good job for you assuming he's shook out the cobwebs from his harrowing experience at 'pool. In many ways there's quite a similarity in the players you have at your club and those at Fulham last year and I wish him and your club well.

Incidentally, now the dust has settled from Di Matteo's sacking, what's the general feeling amongst the fans. I personally felt he was doing a stirling job and no doubts had steadily improved your playing staff on limited resources. His sacking was even more of a bolt out of the blue for me than Hughton's for Newcastle. And do you think there was some behind the scenes stuff occurred leading to his dismissal?

Agreed' date=' he could do a good job for you assuming he's shook out the cobwebs from his harrowing experience at 'pool. In many ways there's quite a similarity in the players you have at your club and those at Fulham last year and I wish him and your club well.

Incidentally, now the dust has settled from Di Matteo's sacking, what's the general feeling amongst the fans. I personally felt he was doing a stirling job and no doubts had steadily improved your playing staff on limited resources. His sacking was even more of a bolt out of the blue for me than Hughton's for Newcastle. And do you think there was some behind the scenes stuff occurred leading to his dismissal?[/quote']

Aye, it's not too dissimilar situation all round. His methods are easier to swallow if you're Paul Scharner rather than Steven Gerrard, I suspect.

I'm surprised at how much of a split there's been actually. I'd expected the reaction to be overwhelmingly negative but there's a decent chunk of the support that shared in the opinion it was RDM's time to go. I still think it was harsh and at the very least he should have had enough kudos to see him in charge this weekend, being asked to save your job by getting something at City is a little bit silly. But on the whole 60/40 against at a guess.

I suspect you're quite close to the truth with your last point. By all accounts RDM was crestfallen after the whole Carew farce and that was only compounded by our failure to get anything tied up for either Chupo-Moting or Bruma on deadline day, or indeed for any target man all month, which was what he'd expressed a big interest in attaining. Our chairman has a habit of falling our with managers as well, Megson and Robson both went as much for off the field politics as on-field performances and Mowbray's decision to leave was in part fuelled by a breakdown in communications between him and Mr Peace. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's been a clash of opinions following the transfer window.

Nigh on impossible to call at the best of times but with this going on I wouldn't know where to start. Hardest derby to predict in years.

You won't get any Albion fans waiting at Galton Bridge or The Hawthorns I wouldn't have thought, the police are too savvy to let it happen that close to the ground.

Guest JackWWFC

Nigh on impossible to call at the best of times but with this going on I wouldn't know where to start. Hardest derby to predict in years.

You won't get any Albion fans waiting at Galton Bridge or The Hawthorns I wouldn't have thought' date=' the police are too savvy to let it happen that close to the ground.[/quote']

Im pretty sure last time we played there was some at Rolfe Street.

Will be a tough game.

Outstanding comeback from West Ham! come back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3!

With the squad they have, imo they shouldnt even be in their current position.

Oh, and Suarez looks like a real gem:D Not long now, and ull all be getting him for your SM teams, try getting him early to avoid dissapointment:D

Guest JackWWFC

Outstanding comeback from West Ham! come back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3!

With the squad they have' date=' imo they shouldnt even be in their current position.

Oh, and Suarez looks like a real gem:D Not long now, and ull all be getting him for your SM teams, try getting him early to avoid dissapointment:D[/quote']

Not getting any Liverpool players, all dropping..Gerrard to 75 probs

What a goal by Rooney

I really wish you'd elaborate on some of your posts plus what did he actually do other than that goal and having a small part in Nani's opener?

I think it was great that we were able to come back from three goals down to rescue a point but we defended terribly for the three goals we concdeded, especially the third one where there was no danger whatsoever and Reid seemed to be running quite aimlessly without really knowing where the ball was.

Demba Ba looks like he is a good player and the threesome of Ba, Cole and Piquionne looks fairly good. Hopefully we can sort out the defence and keep a few clean sheets so we can win a few matches, and when the teams around us play their games in hand on us we won't be cut adrift of the rest of the pack.

Toro De Líbano - I really wish you'd elaborate on some of your posts plus what did he actually do other than that goal and having a small part in Nani's opener?

Rooney hardly did anything because he was upfront on his own which he don't like, but who in the Premiership would try that? Goal of the Season

Rooney could be back at the right time when United big games are coming up

Got to say Smalling and Richards had a great game

What a £50 mil joke Torres is, Chelsea brought him without think how he would fit in, They can't keep rotating and testing otherwise the Title and maybe top 4 will slip from them.

Rovers target Kaka for summer swoop

Lol Blackburn' date=' behave. :o[/quote']

The owners are still looking for a big name signing then. Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Beckham and Kaka. Who next? It is a shame that they are still messing around because I think Kean made some good signings last month.

The owners are still looking for a big name signing then. Ronaldinho' date=' Riquelme, Beckham and Kaka. Who next? It is a shame that they are still messing around because I think Kean made some good signings last month.[/quote']

Perhaps the best thing Kean has done transfer wise isn't bringing anyone in, but in retaining the services of Phil Jones.

Perhaps the best thing Kean has done transfer wise isn't bringing anyone in' date=' but in retaining the services of Phil Jones.[/quote']

Signing a new contract means nothing. I thought Carroll would be staying with Newcastle when he signed a five year contract but money talks and he is playing for Liverpool about four months later.