Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

So Cardiff have signed Torres :eek:

Juan Torres Ruiz a.k.a Juan Cala

Nice pick up on a free.

Nice little signing there, wouldnt be suprised to see him slot straight into the team alongside Caulker as appose to Turner. Should be match fit as he was playing regualry for Sevilla so hopefully he can slot right in. Apparently he had a pre contract deal with another team in the summer when his deal expired but we paid them off (around about 1mill according to reports) in compo to cancel that leaving him free to join us.

Moving on to todays game, not sure how i feel about it tbh. On one side i would of preferred laudrup still in charge as he seemed like he had given up which would of played in our favour, having monk in charge will certainley charge the team and fans up. On the flip side tho monk has zero experience in this situation so im not sure what to expect. Can pure passion fire the swans up enough to do us over, or will they be tactically caught short..

Id take a point in all honesty. Be cracking to do the first ever double mind!

Monk's got plenty of experience of leaderships, he's captained us in all four divisions and has the experience of Alan Curtis to help him out who's been in this position on several occasions. We're definitely better prepared for the derby than we would have been under Laudrup, who didn't learn from his mistakes and he made plenty of them in the last derby.

Any result can happen in the derbies, I am a lot more confident of a win than I was after the West Ham game and I do think we'll win the game, but I'd take a draw as well given the effect a first derby double could have on us.

Monk's got plenty of experience of leaderships' date=' he's captained us in all four divisions and has the experience of Alan Curtis to help him out who's been in this position on several occasions. We're definitely better prepared for the derby than we would have been under Laudrup, who didn't learn from his mistakes and he made plenty of them in the last derby.

Any result can happen in the derbies, I am a lot more confident of a win than I was after the West Ham game and I do think we'll win the game, but I'd take a draw as well given the effect a first derby double could have on us.[/quote']

Yeh thats the main downside for us of monk being in charge, think Laudrup had the dave jones mentality of its just another game where as now it will be get out there and give it your all etc.

You go to the games SJ? I cant be hacking another bubble trip to you lot, get treated like scum for hours and crammed in the busses when it would be a short drive up on my own terms. Maybe in a few years we may be able to follow Newcastle and Sunderland, doubt it tho :P

All that aside.. it wasn't too long ago (back in 99/98 if my memory serves me) i was watching these derby matches back in division 3 so it is fantastic for me to experience all this in the premiership with the stakes so high. Nerve shredding as hell, but fantastic.

Yeh thats the main downside for us of monk being in charge' date=' think Laudrup had the dave jones mentality of its just another game where as now it will be get out there and give it your all etc.

You go to the games SJ? I cant be hacking another bubble trip to you lot, get treated like scum for hours and crammed in the busses when it would be a short drive up on my own terms. Maybe in a few years we may be able to follow Newcastle and Sunderland, doubt it tho :P

All that aside.. it wasn't too long ago (back in 99/98 if my memory serves me) i was watching these derby matches back in division 3 so it is fantastic for me to experience all this in the premiership with the stakes so high. Nerve shredding as hell, but fantastic.[/quote']

Laudrup was very laid back, but more recently it went far beyond that to the point it was clear he didn't really care any more about league games never mind derbies. It looked like there was no match preparation for the West Ham game whatsoever.

Yes I've got a season ticket but I don't go to these bubbles, it isn't as enjoyable as going to a normal away game where you are treated like a human with rights and are able to walk the streets of the public with the rest of society. It is an effective means of preventing violence, but bubble trips just aren't my cup of tea either.

I'm a bit younger than you, and didn't start going to games until 2001 so I didn't go to my first derby until 2008 but it is a lot bigger today. With us both in a relegation battle, it is a huge game and everyone seems to have an opinion on it. It is very nerve racking though, I don't really like that aspect of the derbies but with Garry Monk in charge and with it being such a late kick off it should be a fantastic atmosphere.

I'm surprised that they've allowed the kick off at 5.30PM to be honest, the police didn't allow that for Sunderland/Newcastle and I seem to recall us playing at around 11.45 in the Championship.

Excellent half from Stoke, think almost all Saints fans were expecting them to do what the majority of teams now do at St. Mary's which is sit deep and play on the counter especially as they are incredibly well set up to do that, but they have been pressing very high and giving us a taste of our own medicine. I wasn't sure Hughes had made that radical a change in style from Pulis but perhaps he has.

Excellent half from Stoke' date=' think almost all Saints fans were expecting them to do what the majority of teams now do at St. Mary's which is sit deep and play on the counter especially as they are incredibly well set up to do that, but they have been pressing very high and giving us a taste of our own medicine. I wasn't sure Hughes had made that radical a change in style from Pulis but perhaps he has.[/quote']

The style's different but a lot of the players he has are suited to Pulis football. I think he's doing a decent job, but one that still has a lot of work to do. Loads of players to clear out IMO.

There isnt many really.

Shotton, Wilkinson, Huth, Whelan, Palacios, N'Zonzi, Etherington, Walters and Crouch all fit Pulis' mantra of winning the ball by being tough and then lumping it up to a big, strong striker. I'm not saying that all of those players would be useless for Hughes, but they don't really suit a more passing, possession based game.