Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

Stuart Holden will be out of action for 6 months following Evans' terrible tackle' date=' how people still think it wasn't worth a red card is beyond me.[/quote']

Indeed. Perhaps the most annoying aspect is how the talking heads on MOTD make excuses for it yet in the next breath will get sanctimonious about someone diving. Priorities in football are absurd when people rush to defend players who jump into reckless tackles like this with very tangible consequences for another professional but castigate somebody for throwing themselves on the floor. If I hear 'he's not that sort of player' one more time I might just wander down to the BBC and throw myself into an ugly two footed lunge at Mark Lawrenson.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Indeed. Perhaps the most annoying aspect is how the talking heads on MOTD make excuses for it yet in the next breath will get sanctimonious about someone diving. Priorities in football are absurd when people rush to defend players who jump into reckless tackles like this with very tangible consequences for another professional but castigate somebody for throwing themselves on the floor. If I hear 'he's not that sort of player' one more time I might just wander down to the BBC and throw myself into an ugly two footed lunge at Mark Lawrenson.

Fully agreed. If you and I were sat on that sofa Roko, I think we'd have a very different programme on our hands!

I would pay quite a lot of money to see that.

I'm pretty sure 'rake your studs down Lawro's face' would have been a winner for comic relief.

Fully agreed. If you and I were sat on that sofa Roko' date=' I think we'd have a very different programme on our hands![/quote']

:D Just a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Al Fayed slams fans over Jacko statue

"Why is it bizarre?" Al Fayed asked. "Football fans love it. If some stupid fans don't understand and appreciate such a gift they can go to hell.

"I don't want them to be fans. If they don't understand and don't believe in things I believe in they can go to Chelsea, they can go to anywhere else.

"People will queue to come and visit it from all over the UK and it is something that I and everybody else should be proud of."

Lol, not sure that's a road you want to go down Al Fayed! Let the clever Jacko-related chants begin...

PFA Player of the year Nominations

Nemanja Vidic

Carlos Tevez

Samir Nasri

Gareth Bale

Scott parker

Charlie Adam

SHOCKING!! So the nominations exclude the top scorer and the top assister?? I can think of 25-50 players who have had a better season than the latter 2 (not they have been bad but not good enough to get nominated). Gareth Bale is another joke of a nomination and in all honesty has done nothing much other than that volley against Stoke. Really Pathetic. I know Nani's not the most likable fellow in the league (not by a long way) but you cannot deny his class and the season he has had for us. He should be in contention to win the whole **** thing fgs

Just on stats alone he makes Nasri and Bale look silly.

Nani - 9 goals and 16 assists

Bale - 7 goals and 1 assist

Nasri - 9 goals and 1 assist

Berbatov, Silva, Kompany, Modric, VDV, Nolan, Miereles, Sagna, Baines are some names of the top of my head that are infinitely more deserving of a place in that list than Bale, Parker or Adam

This would've been my list for what its worth

Nani

Tevez

Nasri

Vidic

Modric

Kompany/Berbatov

The young player award will remain a joke until its restricted to U21's only. Would have thought Hernandez and Albrighton would have got a look in

Christ i completely forgot about Hernandez ! :eek:

Shame Albrighton wasnt nominated, being his break through year and all.

I cant argue with the inclusion of some but the structure of the young player award pretty poor, Players who are actually young dont have a chance competing against more seasoned pro's.

Got to agree that I don't think Bale should be in there, but I'm happy enough with most of the other selections. Adam and Parker are unfashionable suggestions, but they have both been truly inspirational for their respective sides and I find it hard to argue against them not being in there. Despite being top scorer, I don't believe Berbatov warrants an inclusion. Take away eight goals from two games and his season hasn't been that impressive. He's been very good, but player of the season material? Not for me. In truth, if we swapped Bale with Nani, I think we'd have a very reasonable shortlist, although I would have liked to have squeezed Kompany in there somewhere.

As for the young player nominees, I agree with the others above me. They should restrict it to 22 and under (i.e. if you were 21 at the start of the season, you qualify) and if you're nominated for one award, you automatically don't get nominated for the other award, like Bale and Nasri have been.

To move a likely discussion off the United thread into a more general area...

PFA Nominations

Samir Nasri

Charlie Adam

Carlos Tevez

Gareth Bale

Scott Parker

Nemanja Vidic

Young PFA Nominations

Jack Wilshere

Joe Hart

Seamus Coleman

Gareth Bale

Samir Nasri

Nani

Nasri shouldn't have been nominated, he's done sweet fa in the last 2 or 3 months.

Lol the Adam, Parker, Bale inclusions are similar to what they do in American Sports when awarding the MVP (Most Valuable player) award.

Player may not necessarily be the best in the league, but played a crucial part in their team's season.

However this is not the MVP award and I do not see any reason to why those 3 are on the list :confused:

Lol the Adam' date=' Parker, Bale inclusions are similar to what they do in American Sports when awarding the MVP (Most Valuable player) award.

Player may not necessarily be the best in the league, but played a crucial part in their team's season.

However this is not the MVP award and I do not see any reason to why those 3 are on the list :confused:[/quote']

Hmm, I wouldn't compare this to the MVP award. If it were similar, the top scorer in the EPL would win every year because more often than not, the MVP award goes to the QB or RB with the most yards and/or touchdowns and is part of a side that had an excellent regular season. You will never see a defensive player win the MVP, but Nemanja Vidic stands a very good chance of winning the PFA Player of the Year award this year and John Terry has also won the award back in 2004/05.

Hmm' date=' I wouldn't compare this to the MVP award. If it were similar, the top scorer in the EPL would win every year because more often than not, the MVP award goes to the QB or RB with the most yards and/or touchdowns and is part of a side that had an excellent regular season. You will never see a defensive player win the MVP, but Nemanja Vidic stands a very good chance of winning the PFA Player of the Year award this year and John Terry has also won the award back in 2004/05.[/quote']

Oh I'm not sure how it works in other sports, but I was referring to MVP in Basketball, as the winner is the one who's been the most influential in their team's success.

Oh I'm not sure how it works in other sports' date=' but I was referring to MVP in Basketball, as the winner is the one who's been the most influential in their team's success.[/quote']

My mistake. Yeh, that's similar to NFL, but you could say the same to the nominees for the PFA POTY. Charlie Adam has been the most influential to Blackpool's success. Scott Parker has been the most influential to West Ham's success, et cetera. It can broken down by interpretation in a number of ways, I guess.

Oh I'm not sure how it works in other sports' date=' but I was referring to MVP in Basketball, as the winner is the one who's been the most influential in their team's success.[/quote']

I suspect they'll be similar in that the 'wrong guy' may win both as well, certainly looks likely in the NBA anyway and I've got a funny feeling the Parker bandwagon ma have picked up enough momentum for him to win.

I'd give it Tevez, probably. There aren't any genuinely outstanding candidates though, which probably goes some way to explaining some lesser names.

My mistake. Yeh' date=' that's similar to NFL, but you could say the same to the nominees for the PFA POTY. Charlie Adam has been the most influential to Blackpool's success. Scott Parker has been the most influential to West Ham's success, et cetera. It can broken down by interpretation in a number of ways, I guess.[/quote']

MVP is not always about scoring, although it does go frequently to offensive players (but that's true about POTY too).

Take hockey, for example from 1996-2000, there were 4 winners. 2 for goalie, 1 for defenseman, 1 for forward. I'm pretty sure Dominik Hasek didn't get his Hart Trophy (equivalent of MVP) for his scoring or offensive ability :D.