Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

13/04/14 Škrtel Headed goal... 3-2 Man City

22/03/14 Škrtel Brings it back to 2-2 with Cardiff' date=' and then makes it 3-2

08/02/14 Škrtel Gets opening two goals against Arsenal within 10mins.

26/08/12 Škrtel scores opener against Man City. 2-2 end result

I think you can say Liverpool's defenders, especially Škrtel have helped them get where they are. Their wingbacks are renowned for assisting attack and although they have conceded the most out of the top 5 their attacking defence also helped them score....goals which got them where they were.[/quote']

Sorry,but justifying Skrtel to be in the team because of a few goals,really shows your lack of understanding for the game..

I never said he's one of the worst but when there's at least five ahead of him (De Gea' date=' Cech, Marshall, Howard, Speroni, Szczesny - even Boruc and Mignolet) then I think there's very solid ground to question his mentioning[/quote']

Szcesney??? :D:D:D:D:D

I never said he's one of the worst but when there's at least five ahead of him (De Gea' date=' Cech, Marshall, Howard, Speroni, Szczesny - even Boruc and Mignolet) then I think there's very solid ground to question his mentioning[/quote']

Speroni, Szczesny, Boruc and Mignolet are no way in any shape or form above Begovic.

Speroni' date=' Szczesny, Boruc and Mignolet are no way in any shape or form above Begovic.[/quote']

All have conceded fewer goals.

Thinking about it, you could conceivably make a case for the team of the year to be Chelsea's defence, City's midfield and Liverpool's attack.

Cech

Ivanovic Mertesacker Terry Azpilicueta

Silva Henderson Ya Ya Hazard

Suarez Sturridge

Personally feel that Silva's been better than Lallana and that Mertesacker edges out Cahill.

Imo, Henderson's been outstanding this season and deserves a spot in the team, shocking that he wasn't included on the young player of the year award short list.

All have conceded fewer goals.

Thinking about it' date=' you could conceivably make a case for the team of the year to be Chelsea's defence, City's midfield and Liverpool's attack.[/quote']

As Stu said' date=' all have conceded fewer goals.

My point is that Begovic shouldn't be anywhere TOTY[/quote']

No they haven't, the teams may of done but not the keepers.

Begovic has conceded fewer goals than Mignolet and Speroni and has conceded the same as Szczesny. Boruc has conceded fewer goals however Begovic has a higher save percentage than all four.

Don't see why people make such a big fuss about Marshall yet most seem to forget Speroni, who has I'd say won us more points than Marshall has. Ever since Hennessey joined, he's been one of the top three keepers in the league and the competition for the No.1 spot has made him flourish. His saves against West Brom and Chelsea were incredible. Not surprising to see we've conceded the 4th least (maybe 3rd I think) goals in the league.

No they haven't' date=' the teams may of done but not the keepers. I take the bit about Boruc back after checking but the others aren't better.

Begovic has conceded fewer goals than Mignolet and Speroni and has conceded the same as Szczesny. Begovic also has a higher save percentage than all four.[/quote']

Really in many ways things like those statistics are irrelevant Liverpool are always gunna concede more because of the way we play etc, where as Stoke are a more cautious side in comparison etc etc.

Begovic is a top class keeper and I would say you can legitimately argue he is a better all round keeper than those you quoted, it is a fair discussion point but in terms of THIS season I think the likes of Marshall and De Gea have been superior and the best two keepers in the League personally.

Really in many ways things like those statistics are irrelevant Liverpool are always gunna concede more because of the way we play etc' date=' where as Stoke are a more cautious side in comparison etc etc.

Begovic is a top class keeper and I would say you can legitimately argue he is a better all round keeper than those you quoted, it is a fair discussion point but in terms of THIS season I think the likes of Marshall and De Gea have been superior and the best two keepers in the League personally.[/quote']

I agree, i am in no way saying that Begovic is the best keeper in the league. I think there are keepers such as De Gea and Cech etc who have been better this season.

I just thought it was silly for someone to be so dismissive of Begovic :)

No they haven't' date=' the teams may of done but not the keepers.

Begovic has conceded fewer goals than Mignolet and Speroni and has conceded the same as Szczesny. Boruc has conceded fewer goals however Begovic has a higher save percentage than all four.[/quote']

Think you've had him off there, the stats don't lie.

Really in many ways things like those statistics are irrelevant Liverpool are always gunna concede more because of the way we play etc' date=' where as Stoke are a more cautious side in comparison etc etc.

Begovic is a top class keeper and I would say you can legitimately argue he is a better all round keeper than those you quoted, it is a fair discussion point but in terms of THIS season I think the likes of Marshall and De Gea have been superior and the best two keepers in the League personally.[/quote']

Spot on in everything here. Plus Mertesaker and Lovren could both have arguably been in TOTS and they deserve to take the plaudits for their teams defensive efforts, not the keeper. Where as with Stoke, Begovic is considered our stand out performer with Shawcross being the guard in front of him but however, not having a stellar season.

Agreed' date=' I don't really know why there were appeals for Danny Rose to be sent off. Yes, he pushed him, but it's a lot less of what goes on at every Stoke City set piece. Should they all be red cards as Stoke players technically raise their arms.

Stoke fans at one point were chanting something along the lines of "If he played for Stoke, he'd be sent off" which just isn't true at all, I didn't really see any inconsistency with the major decisions. There's nothing he can do about the Adebayor incident and he's got the Rose/Shawcross incidents spot on.

What I found worse than Stoke's supporters reactions was the reaction of Mark Hughes, who just put media pressure on Andre Mariner unnecessarily be suggesting that he guessed decisions and by bringing up previous refereeing incidents that had nothing to do with it. Who'd want to be a referee when you get that sort of criticism for what I personally felt was good refereeing.[/quote']

Completely agree about Mark Hughes. There has to be a penalty at hand for being that outspoken on a referees performance merely because it didn't go his way.

I wasn't at the game and haven't watched the whole game so i cannot comment on other fouls. However from the chants Stoke City were making it just screamed of them being abit mardy because the game wasn't going their way.

Danny Rose looked to be getting abit of a clattering too so losing his head and laying hands on the guy was always gonna happen. At that point crying wolf to the referee and getting Rose sent off would have been unjust however many refs would have fallen for it.

Maybe im wrong, but I just feel like Stoke looked to blame everyone else other than themselves for that performance and result.

Completely agree about Mark Hughes. There has to be a penalty at hand for being that outspoken on a referees performance merely because it didn't go his way.

I wasn't at the game and haven't watched the whole game so i cannot comment on other fouls. However from the chants Stoke City were making it just screamed of them being abit mardy because the game wasn't going their way.

Danny Rose looked to be getting abit of a clattering too so losing his head and laying hands on the guy was always gonna happen. At that point crying wolf to the referee and getting Rose sent off would have been unjust however many refs would have fallen for it.

Maybe im wrong' date=' but I just feel like Stoke looked to blame everyone else other than themselves for that performance and result.[/quote']

Are you a troll or? Let's get something's clear here, Shawcross' sending off was justified, no two doubts he should have gone in my eyes, but why in God's name did it take Marinner so long to get out the red? It was almost as if he didn't know he already handed Shawcross a yellow. On the other hand, like I said, the decision was the right one on both instances. Also, in the rule of the law, Rose should have been sent off although I can see why the ref didn't, but if he lossed his head and can't take a strong challenge then that's his problem, nobody else's. If the ref saw Adebayor's elbow I'm pretty damn sure he would have been sent off too, as he duly deserved it. The chants by the way were more in hope, not 'mardy' as you described and any other set of fans would have been the same, just with the inconsistent decisions, and the chant directed towards Rose was a joke in truth but in reality, in probably is true, if he was a Stoke player he probably would have been off.

We didn't play too badly in fact and we lossed, we had chances but didn't take them. That's the way the game goes, so were not blaming anybody for the loss, but what we are blaming the referee for is not making some key decisions and being a bit hasty in not knowing what to do when the situation presented itself to bring out the card, he didn't seem confident shall I say.

Does it matter how long it took Mariner to make the decision? The important thing was that he made the right call, and well done to him for that.

In Mark Hughes words following the last minute 'handball' in the 3-3 draw earlier in the season, "those things can go for you or against you". So just accept the refereeing performance, there's no legitimate reason to suggest that Mariner favoured Tottenham when making his decisions or reason to suggest that Rose would have been sent off if he played for Stoke.

why in God's name did it take Marinner so long to get out the red? It was almost as if he didn't know he already handed Shawcross a yellow. Does it matter? I don't mind the referee taking a moment to make sure he gets the decision right instead of deciding in an instance to make sure the hometown fans don't get upset. Think your grasping at straws here

If the ref saw Adebayor's elbow I'm pretty damn sure he would have been sent off too' date=' as he duly deserved it. [b']Like Aiden has just pointed out, you win some you lose some. Stoke are the last team who need to be complaining about bully boys.[/b]

The chants by the way were more in hope, not 'mardy' as you described and any other set of fans would have been the same, just with the inconsistent decisions, and the chant directed towards Rose was a joke in truth but in reality, in probably is true, if he was a Stoke player he probably would have been off. This is the biggest joke of all the things you've said. Let me tell you something fella, Mariner couldn't give a rats ass about Stoke City...or Spurs for that matter. He hasn't got where he is in the game through being bias so just please take off your tinfoil hat. That was a ludicrous comment to make.

We didn't play too badly in fact and we lossed, we had chances but didn't take them. That's the way the game goes, so were not blaming anybody for the loss, but what we are blaming the referee for is not making some key decisions and being a bit hasty in not knowing what to do when the situation presented itself to bring out the card, he didn't seem confident shall I say.

so your not blaming anyone but your blaming the referee. That is basically what your saying. The ref may have made some questionable decisions throughout the game like you say but you were indeed 'mardy' IMO. I'm not trying to incite an argument or be a troll as you put it, I just saw the reaction of the Stoke fans as well as their manager and players as pathetic

10 characters

10 characters

If you had watched the game you'd of seen Marriner had already shown the second yellow card for Shawcross, there is no debate on him taking his time to make an informed decision!

The issue is how long it took him to get the red out after and show it, implying he had no idea that he had just shown Shawcross a second yellow and especially as he only went into his pocket to get the red after being told so by the Spurs players.

Does it matter? I don't mind the referee taking a moment to make sure he gets the decision right instead of deciding in an instance to make sure the hometown fans don't get upset. Think your grasping at straws here

What decision? He gave the yellow card as normal, if he had remembered that he booked Shawcross earlier in the game then he would of got the red card out straight away, he had forgot and only checked it was Shawcross he booked earlier when the Tottenham players told him, fans were unhappy after cause if he went then Rose should of done, didnt watch the game but the push on Cameron after his first booking should be enough for him to go without the kicks on our players the other incidents the other Stoke fans were talking about involving him.

Does it matter how long it took Mariner to make the decision? The important thing was that he made the right call' date=' and well done to him for that.

In Mark Hughes words following the last minute 'handball' in the 3-3 draw earlier in the season, "those things can go for you or against you". So just accept the refereeing performance, there's no legitimate reason to suggest that Mariner favoured Tottenham when making his decisions or reason to suggest that Rose would have been sent off if he played for Stoke.[/quote']

So you haven't read what I said then? Have I once defended the fact that Shawcross shouldn't have been sent off? No. I said he made the right decision, in three post and that's including this one, so I don't see what your arguement is there? Yeah well done to him, I agree. Once again.

No there isn't and once again as I said previously, these things happen, that's that. So once again, I don't see why you're argueing something that I've previously said, these things happen, no referee is perfect I'm just 'frustrated' as any fan of their team would be at the inconsistent decisions. That's all. Oh and I did state that I can see why he didn't send of Rose and he didn't see the Adebayor elbow. So..

Does it matter? I don't mind the referee taking a moment to make sure he gets the decision right instead of deciding in an instance to make sure the hometown fans don't get upset. Think your grasping at straws here.

Like Aiden has just pointed out' date=' you win some you lose some. Stoke are the last team who need to be complaining about bully boys.

This is the biggest joke of all the things you've said. Let me tell you something fella, Mariner couldn't give a rats ass about Stoke City...or Spurs for that matter. He hasn't got where he is in the game through being bias so just please take off your tinfoil hat. That was a ludicrous comment to make.

so your not blaming anyone but your blaming the referee. That is basically what your saying. The ref may have made some questionable decisions throughout the game like you say but you were indeed 'mardy' IMO. I'm not trying to incite an argument or be a troll as you put it, I just saw the reaction of the Stoke fans as well as their manager and players as pathetic[/quote']

It's almost as if you haven't read a word of what I've said, from the first statement you made especially. Once again I will reiterate for the 3rd time, sending Shawcross off was the correct decision. So how am I grasping at straws when your just making an arguement out of me saying over and over again that the referee was right to send of Shawcross?

Were physical and we have physical players, deal with it. We're not bullies by any stretch of the imagination.

It was a joke in hindsight, that's just how the decisions seem to go against us at times, like against Newcastle earlier in the season when we got 2 sendings off and a penalty given against us. I didn't say Mariner was bias, but what I am saying is Stoke are still judged as an over physical dirty side which makes refs think we have an intent to injure the opponent, and that in no way is the case.

I wasn't blaming the referee, I was blaming his decision making which was questionable at times. Who's to say we would have won if their players had been sent off anyway? Nobody. So therefore your prejudging what I was trying to say. I'm not blaming the referee as once again I will reiterate that nobody is perfect in their decision making and I have admited before, that it can see why he didn't send Rose off and have also stated that he didn't see the Adebayor elbow anyway, so how is that blaming the referee? I just seem to be repeating myself over and over anyway tbh.

So you haven't read what I said then? Have I once defended the fact that Shawcross shouldn't have been sent off? No. I said he made the right decision' date=' in three post and that's including this one, so I don't see what your arguement is there? Yeah well done to him, I agree. Once again.

No there isn't and once again as I said previously, these things happen, that's that. So once again, I don't see why you're argueing something that I've previously said, these things happen, no referee is perfect I'm just 'frustrated' as any fan of their team would be at the inconsistent decisions. That's all. Oh and I did state that I can see why he didn't send of Rose and he didn't see the Adebayor elbow. So..[/quote']

Then why are you criticizing Mariner's method of refereeing? Why are you suggesting that it makes any sort of a difference that it took him time to make his decision? If you agree that he's made the right decision, then you can't really have a problem with his method as the important thing is that he gets the decision right. If you can understand all three decisions, then why have you criticised Andre Mariner and accused him of bias towards Tottenham in the making of these decisions?

Of the stoke fans Ive read jaime's comments as I respect his opinion.

Fair enough on the yellow card already having been shown. At that point then maybe he did forget, but he has a book which would have told him anyway or lino's who would also let him know. So if he forgets and then remembers again or gets told, it happens. In high pressure scenarios which reffing in the premier league obviously is there will be times when you have a brain fart. I really can't see the issue here guys. The game stopped, so what if he forgot? He got it right in the end.

This is just ridiculous.

Jono, i didn't read your comments because its probably just the same old rubbish of 'it wasn't the refs fault we lost but....it was the refs fault we lost'.

There isn't anything else I want to add to this discussion really.

Of the stoke fans Ive read jaime's comments as I respect his opinion.

Fair enough on the yellow card already having been shown. At that point then maybe he did forget' date=' but he has a book which would have told him anyway or lino's who would also let him know. So if he forgets and then remembers again or gets told, it happens. In high pressure scenarios which reffing in the premier league obviously is there will be times when you have a brain fart. I really can't see the issue here guys. The game stopped, so what if he forgot? He got it right in the end.

This is just ridiculous.

Jono, i didn't read your comments because its probably just the same old rubbish of 'it wasn't the refs fault we lost but....it was the refs fault we lost'.

There isn't anything else I want to add to this discussion really.[/quote']

Thanks, i respect your opinion's too as seen in the UFC thread :)

I think it's more the possibility that if he had remembered then he might not of shown the second yellow but your right, he got the decision correct.

I'm bored of discussing it as well :)

Alot of the positions sorted today, Arsenal have all but secured 4th (again... partly a good thing, great record, but obviosuly a dissapointment aswell). I cant see any of the bottom 3 getting out of it in the last 2 rounds... sunderlands run of form has been impressive, big escape really, everyoone had them and ofc palce (even more impressive) written off.

The main show now is definately the Title race with the Chelsea win. Fancy City to win it, just to crush Chirpy pool fans dreams hahaha. Same time id rather see Pool win becasue they arent a one man money show, but they way the fans are crowing after 24yrs in the wilderness is so laughable. when they win it, if they win it, ill be all ears.

Fulham have also shown some real heart to get in with a sniff of survival again, and if they do survive id imagine sunderland are the only ones who could swap.

Norwich and Cardiff gone, Good riddance to Norwich, feel sorry for Cardiff. Tan was arguably a big factor in getting them up, but i think he is also a big reason of why they will go down, he is a joke. They only just made history and Swans fans will love it but i think they will miss the competition (id love spurs to finish 17th every year, but if they go down how do we get to spank them???).

On that note happy St. totteringhams day.