Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

We are a huge club' date='mind you.We're just going through a rough spell and I'm confident we'll get out of it soon.[/quote']

Judging from what Villa has started so far this season, I think they'll stay in the Premier League for years to come and be a decent mid-table side in my opinion.

People like Vlaar, Benteke, and even Cleverley will have a huge role in their season

by the way I never said anything about the magnitude of your club...

Judging from what Villa has started so far this season' date=' I think they'll stay in the Premier League for years to come and be a decent mid-table side in my opinion.

People like Vlaar, Benteke, and even Cleverley will have a huge role in their season[/font']

Tekkers and Vlaar are going to be integral to whatever we do,Christian needs to get back soon and in right shape.

The Bandwagon effect has just come about because of the amount of trophies and success these clubs have had (United included)

You'll now get City fans in Canada aswell who didn't knew about football 3 years back.

It's amazing how many fans jump on the "bandwagon" nowadays teehee' date=' the only teams here that are supported are Real, Chelsea, Barca, etc....

[/font']

Rational choice dictates that fans should support the teams successful at the moment. There's of course a lag as it takes awhile to develop an emotional relationship with a new club, but the time period is nothing huge.

Of course there's nothing wrong with those who choose to support the same club all their lives, but for those who follow the concepts of rational choice it's quite normal to forgo the opportunity to suffer with a team performing poorly (and possibly being managed by a bunch of idiots), and instead find a team to support that brings them the most joy in life :)

It's like if your wife used to have an amazing personality and was really fit, but now is an unbearable nagger and waaay out of shape, should you stay with her? Those who behave according to the tenets of rational choice would either exert pressure on her to improve or find another lady but there's nothing wrong staying with her if you so choose.

Counter-argument: Isn't switching a club like abandoning your child? Well, there are laws against such behavior. Even if one was to ignore that and point to the norms in culture, even though switching club loyalty is in some circles of football culture looked poorly upon, the proportion of the society that condemns child abandonment vs the proportion that would find changing one's club loyalty abhorrent is not quite at the same level.

It's amazing how many fans jump on the "bandwagon" nowadays teehee' date=' the only teams here that are supported are Real, Chelsea, Barca, etc....

[/font']

Pathetic losers, who lack self-esteem, Allan. :o

Too weak to deal with little success...

They're probably not good at pretty much anything and desperately need to feel victorious.

Rational choice dictates that fans should support the teams successful at the moment. There's of course a lag as it takes awhile to develop an emotional relationship with a new club' date=' but the time period is nothing huge.

Of course there's nothing wrong with those who choose to support the same club all their lives, but for those who follow the concepts of rational choice it's quite normal to forgo the opportunity to suffer with a team performing poorly (and possibly being managed by a bunch of idiots), and instead find a team to support that brings them the most joy in life :)

It's like if your wife used to have an amazing personality and was really fit, but now is an unbearable nagger and [b']waaay out of shape[/b], should you stay with her? Those who behave according to the tenets of rational choice would either exert pressure on her to improve or find another lady but there's nothing wrong staying with her if you so choose.

Counter-argument: Isn't switching a club like abandoning your child? Well, there are laws against such behavior. Even if one was to ignore that and point to the norms in culture, even though switching club loyalty is in some circles of football culture looked poorly upon, the proportion of the society that condemns child abandonment vs the proportion that would find changing one's club loyalty abhorrent is not quite at the same level.

In bold: I'm disappointed, Safir - that's extremely shallow.

I'm a pretty rational guy and that's why I don't suffer when my club loses.

I'm thrilled when we win, though.

I believe it's called "emotional intelligence". ;)

However, idk why people, for instance, from Newcastle (which has a good enough club) would support a bigger team.

I always supported my hometown club (Braga) and always will, even if we get relegated. I don't feel an emotional connection to any other club and why would I?

It's amazing how many fans jump on the "bandwagon" nowadays teehee' date=' the only teams here that are supported are Real, Chelsea, Barca, etc....[/font']

But you're a Man Utd fan from Canada who's never set foot in Manchester. :o

tumblr_inline_n7mohzWc841qjj6a6.png

But that's none of my business. B)

But you're a Man Utd fan from Canada who's never set foot in Manchester. :o

tumblr_inline_n7mohzWc841qjj6a6.png

But that's none of my business. B)

Well I did watch a pre-season friendly (International Champions Cup) in Ann Arbor that featured Manchester United vs Real Madrid a month ago.

:P

That's the closest I can get because my parents are too cheap as they would never let me go to Manchester.

But let's not get too off-topic here :P

The ultimate City/Chelsea 'plastic fan-test' is to ask them to name 11 players before 2008 (City) and 2004 (Chelsea) respectively.

Says the Man Utd fan from India' date=' Belgium or wherever you're from.

Works like a gem.

Unless if they're not a 'plastic fan'.

Terry

Lampard

Gallas

Desailly

Zola

Gudjohnsen

Hasselbaink

Cudicini

Di Matteo

Wise

Poyet

Says the Man Utd fan from India' date=' Belgium or wherever your from.

Unless if they're not a 'plastic fan'.

Terry

Lampard

Gallas

Desailly

Zola

Gudjohnsen

Hasselbaink

Cudicini

Di Matteo

Wise

Poyet[/quote']

First and for most, language. "Your" is often mistaken with "you're" or "you are", especially for the highly intelligent specimen amongst us.

And may I also congratulate you on your bewildering performance by successfully naming me eleven players of the pre-Abramovich era. That will definitely make me think twice before I post stuff like that on this forum again.

First and for most' date=' language. "Your" is often mistaken with "you're" or "you are", especially for the highly intelligent specimen amongst us.

[/b']

And may I also congratulate you on your bewildering performance by successfully naming me eleven players of the pre-Abramovich era. That will definitely make me think twice before I post stuff like that on this forum again.

you see... that's what they call perfection;)

First and for most' date=' language. "Your" is often mistaken with "you're" or "you are", especially for the highly intelligent specimen amongst us.

And may I also congratulate you on your bewildering performance by successfully naming me eleven players of the pre-Abramovich era. That will definitely make me think twice before I post stuff like that on this forum again.[/quote']

Oh great, not another grammar Nazi. Facepalm_Emoji_20px.png That's quite low of you to criticise a simple mistake (after all, we're human beings. We all make mistakes) in order to deflect my criticism of your hypocritical stance on plastic fans. So do tell me, how far away is Manchester from your hometown? I'm intrigued and I'm sure many others on this forum are as well. :)

Do you have to be condescending every time? Give it a rest will you.

Oh great' date=' not another grammar Nazi. [img']http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131124140854/bloodbrothersgame/images/4/44/Facepalm_Emoji_20px.png[/img] That's quite low of you to criticise a simple mistake (after all, we're human beings. We all make mistakes) in order to deflect my criticism of your hypocritical stance on plastic fans. So do tell me, how far away is Manchester from your hometown? I'm intrigued and I'm so many others are on this forum. :)

Do you have to be condescending every time? Give it a rest will you.

That hurts, that really hurts. After all, all I wanted to do was to correct an error predominantly present amongst kindergarten students.

To add to that, I can come to the conclusion that you have reading problems too, as I never recall myself generalising.

I am currently in France, eating some of the world's best cheese and having the perfect wine to go with it, whilst watching some of my favourite team's best moments. Do call me a plastic, I beg of you.

That hurts' date=' that really hurts. After all, all I wanted to do was to correct an error predominantly present amongst kindergarten students.

To add to that, I can come to the conclusion that you have reading problems too, as I never recall myself generalising.

I am currently in France, eating some of the world's best cheese and having the perfect wine to go with it, whilst watching some of my favourite team's best moments. Do call me a plastic, I beg of you.[/quote']

how come you are so sure that's the perfect wine to go with the cheese you're just eating?

That hurts' date=' that really hurts. After all, all I wanted to do was to correct an error predominantly present amongst kindergarten students.

I am currently in France, eating some of the world's best cheese and having the perfect wine to go with it, whilst watching some of my favourite team's best moments. Do call me a plastic, I beg of you.[/quote']

It's quite a common mistake to make.

I know people with degrees in English who often make the mistake.

It's a simple error that everyone makes.

Though I would like to point out that if you want to support United then you are as welcome as any other fan in the world to and anyone who suggests otherwise is living in the past. A bygone era, we now have technology to follow most teams in the world as closely as we choose and United are one of the best in the world for this if you choose United then so be it.

It's always fans from other teams and not the fans themselves that worry about things like this.

[b']To add to that, I can come to the conclusion that you have reading problems too, as I never recall myself generalising.[/b]

I am currently in France, eating some of the world's best cheese and having the perfect wine to go with it, whilst watching some of my favourite team's best moments. Do call me a plastic, I beg of you.

I think you're the one who has problems with reading. I didn't say you were generalising at all. I just found your 'litmus test' on detecting plastic fans to be hypocritical, as by definition, you're a plastic fan.

N.B. I don't have a problem with those from other countries supporting a club which isn't located in their own nation. You're free to support whatever team you want, whether it'd be Man Utd or AFC Telford.

The problem I have is when those fans who are plastic by definition, have a go at other fans for being plastic (as demonstrated by AniAniAni and Mullan). To quote the Dalai Lama, "It is far more useful to be aware of a single shortcoming in ourselves than it is to be aware of a thousand in someone else."

grow up please

I just have a feeling Welbeck might score more. If nothing else then by the virtue of playing more minutes?

I think he'll score more because Arsenal are far more balanced, more potent going forwards (as in creating chances) and Welbeck won't have to share the goals with other strikers.

Vermaelen was captain of Arsenal and Belgium when he got dropped?

You play crap' date=' you get dropped. I don't think one needs to think twice about it.[/quote']

Thing is, Shrek's just been made captain. It took Wenger months to drop Vermaelen, despite him being crap and having the best centre back in the world waiting on the bench.