Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Post match Carra slated Man Utd for being the highest spenders in the world yet not buying a world class central defender to replace Ferdinand and Vidic. However I pose the question, is there such a thing as a world class centreback anymore? The last defender to win the FIFA World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or was Fabio Cannavaro. Last years winners of the Champions League were Real Madrid, and you wouldn't say that Ramos and Pepe are the world's best. The World Cup winners were Germany, with Hummels and Boateng in the middle, neither of them are the worlds best. Id go as far as saying that the only world class defenders are Vincent Kompany and Thiago Silva, however Silva plays in a poor league so he would look good.

Post match Carra slated Man Utd for being the highest spenders in the world yet not buying a world class central defender to replace Ferdinand and Vidic. However I pose the question' date=' is there such a thing as a world class centreback anymore? The last defender to win the FIFA World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or was Fabio Cannavaro. Last years winners of the Champions League were Real Madrid, and you wouldn't say that Ramos and Pepe are the world's best. The World Cup winners were Germany, with Hummels and Boateng in the middle, neither of them are the worlds best. Id go as far as saying that the only world class defenders are Vincent Kompany and Thiago Silva, however Silva plays in a poor league so he would look good.[/quote']

Hummels > Kompany and Silva.

Clattenburg - Man Of the Match

Let's not go there blaming the ref. The penalty decision was an absolute shocker, but we were still leading at that point, yes the decision changed the game and the ref contributed towards the end result.

But, to concede a further 3 goals was down to our own poor defending.

Shame Jones is injured so much as he seems to be our best CB when fit.

Let's not go there blaming the ref. The penalty decision was an absolute shocker' date=' but we were still leading at that point, yes the decision changed the game and the ref contributed towards the end result.

Shame Jones is injured so much as he seems to be our best CB when fit.[/quote']

De Leat should of had an early Bath

1st goal - football crossed the line before the cross came in, Ulloa scored

Penalty changed the game

If there wasn't the Penalty, United would of won

MOTM - Mark Clattenburg

De Leat should of had an early Bath

1st goal - football crossed the line before the cross came in' date=' Ulloa scored

Penalty changed the game

[b']If there wasn't the Penalty, United would of won[/b]

MOTM - Mark Clattenburg

The bold is completely United's fault, and the reason you lost. No bottle.

Hummels > Kompany and Silva.

You are joking.

Kompany is a notch above Hummels' date=' look at him today magnificent the best CB in the PL by a mile.

Post match Carra slated Man Utd for being the highest spenders in the world yet not buying a world class central defender to replace Ferdinand and Vidic. However I pose the question, is there such a thing as a world class centreback anymore? The last defender to win the FIFA World Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or was Fabio Cannavaro. Last years winners of the Champions League were Real Madrid, and you wouldn't say that Ramos and Pepe are the world's best. The World Cup winners were Germany, with Hummels and Boateng in the middle, neither of them are the worlds best. Id go as far as saying that the only world class defenders are Vincent Kompany and Thiago Silva, however Silva plays in a poor league so he would look good.

Very very good point, there are very few decent defenders anymore, the art of defending seems to have been lost in recent years.

Let's not go there blaming the ref. The penalty decision was an absolute shocker' date=' but we were still leading at that point, yes the decision changed the game and the ref contributed towards the end result.

Shame Jones is injured so much as he seems to be our best CB when fit.[/quote']

This is a perfect post/analysis

First penalty was a foul on Rafael for certain but that ain't the reason why you capitulated and conceded three more....

See some people debating the second penalty which. I really can't fathom it was a certain penalty. :o

Look at him in other games and he's got some shockers. Hummels is far more reliable in that sense.

But then Hummels often gets caught out for pace. Being a good CB totally depends on the kind of defence you're playing in. At City, Hummels would get rinsed every week so we've gone for pacier CBs in Kompany and Mangala.

I don't think defenders ever really look great individually as people focus on the mistakes they make. Neither Godin or Miranda are world class individuals but Atletico's defence was rock solid last season.

Look at him in other games and he's got some shockers. Hummels is far more reliable in that sense.
Hummels isn't far more reliable in that sense' date=' he is top 5 IMO but the amount of times Subotic (when fit) has had to save Hummels' blushes works against him.[/quote']

On this note, would be interesting to see which players only turn up for big games but disappear from the smaller ones.

Hummels v Kompany??

I have seen Hummels get destroyed on occasions as well, and I say that as a fan of him as he is one of the better defenders in Europe, but Kompany is a level Above IMO, one of very few CB'S who are actually very very good.

Hummels may even struggle in the PL for a time as I have seen tankers which turn quicker than him he ain't Per Mertersacker slow (seriously I think by the time that guy completes a 360 degree turn it's his birthday again) but in this league he would need to adapt a bit.

But then Hummels often gets caught out for pace. Being a good CB totally depends on the kind of defence you're playing in. At City' date=' Hummels would get rinsed every week so we've gone for pacier CBs in Kompany and Mangala.

I don't think defenders ever really look great individually as people focus on the mistakes they make. Neither Godin or Miranda are world class individuals but Atletico's defence was rock solid last season.[/quote']

That is true, but one would argue that one great CB can make the lesser CB better just by being there. Say United (fitting example) would get Hummels (I had a smoke before this), I can be guaranteed that players such as Jones and Smalling would improve ten-fold (although in Smalling's case, that would probably just make him Championship level) just by playing next to him.

And what Hummels does better than any other (much better than Kompany), is sort out his back line. Someone else said how Subotic has saved Hummels' skin quite a few times by having that extra pace, I ask you this: how many times has another City defender had to save Kompany's skin simply because he didn't manage his back-line?

Kompany is physically better than Hummels, and that reflects in aspects like one-on-one situations, but the latter has by far the better defensive brain, and that is arguably more important when we're talking about who's the better defender.

That is true' date=' but one would argue that one great CB can make the lesser CB better just by being there. Say United (fitting example) would get Hummels (I had a smoke before this), I can be guaranteed that players such as Jones and Smalling would improve ten-fold (although in Smalling's case, that would probably just make him Championship level) just by playing next to him.

And what Hummels does better than any other ([b']much[/b] better than Kompany), is sort out his back line. Someone else said how Subotic has saved Hummels' skin quite a few times by having that extra pace, I ask you this: how many times has another City defender had to save Kompany's skin simply because he didn't manage his back-line?

Kompany is physically better than Hummels, and that reflects in aspects like one-on-one situations, but the latter has by far the better defensive brain, and that is arguably more important when we're talking about who's the better defender.

Yahh

In purely FIFA rating/technical+physical terms Kompany is better. As an overall defender Hummels isn't worse than Kompany.

Yahh

In purely FIFA rating/technical+physical terms Kompany is better. As an overall defender Hummels isn't worse than Kompany.

Not going by FIFA ratings Safir' date=' how dare you!

Just observing both players, Kompany has an incredible success rate in one-on-one situations, while Hummels isn't really great at that [pace'].

That said, City's best CB last season was Demichelis, and Belgium's best CB was Van Buyten.

Hahahaha' date=' remember when everyone had Southampton pinned for relegation? Good times.[/quote']

Indeed, I remember having a good laugh reading through all the predictions on here of us either getting relegated or as the relegations 'dark horses' or whatever.

Just goes to show how much even informed fans who watch pretty much every game they can are guided by media perceptions.

Indeed' date=' I remember having a good laugh reading through all the predictions on here of us either getting relegated or as the relegations 'dark horses' or whatever.

Just goes to show how much even informed fans who watch pretty much every game they can are guided by media perceptions.[/quote']

Informed and making good choices don't always go hand in hand.

Never thought for a second there was a chance you guys would drop unless you decided to sell everyone in January. Your team is simply too good.