Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Think of it as Finns vs. Russians ... or Swedes vs. Danes ... same thing here just in football terms ..

I don't feel it that much about football. I just can't take it that seriously since wars are about dying, while football is about a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around. And in national team football I don't really hate the opposition, I do some playful taunting but it's never hateful for me. I might even be happy for the other side for winning.

I like the idea of supporting my team but I don't feel the negativity/hatred that seems to be a bigger part in others' lives. I understand if others were brought up in that culture but I just don't feel it.

I don't feel it that much about football. I just can't take it that seriously since wars are about dying' date=' while football is about a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around. And in national team football I don't really hate the opposition, I do some playful taunting but it's never hateful for me. I might even be happy for the other side for winning.

I like the idea of supporting my team but I don't feel the negativity/hatred that seems to be a bigger part in others' lives. I understand if others were brought up in that culture but I just don't feel it.[/quote']

I know you don't ... but the majority of the football fanbase do. I'm just trying to put in in terms for you to understand :P

I know you don't ... but the majority of the football fanbase do. I'm just trying to put in in terms for you to understand :P

Intellectually I understand but in terms of emotion I don't. As in I just don't feel it.

But I do feel the hatred all these people are throwing at me which is grossing me out so much. Whatever criticism I do is limited to the issue, and is always done in a way where I'm the only person to make that criticism, rather than ganging up on them.

Whatever's being thrown at me right now I'm not even given a chance to respond, it's just full-on means girls ganging up at this point. It's not designed to be constructive criticism but full on trying to crush the other person. That sheer cruelty just grosses me out so much.

I don't feel it that much about football. I just can't take it that seriously since wars are about dying' date=' while football is about a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around. And in national team football I don't really hate the opposition, I do some playful taunting but it's never hateful for me[/b']. I might even be happy for the other side for winning.

I like the idea of supporting my team but I don't feel the negativity/hatred that seems to be a bigger part in others' lives. I understand if others were brought up in that culture but I just don't feel it.

I'm really surprised by your above statement after seeing your earlier replies to people, they seem to be so full of anger and hate. I think that is what got peoples backs up and made them attack your views/reasons as to why you changed teams.

If you had gone about things differently and not lashed out so spitefully towards people i dare say the majority wouldn't of cared.

I'm really surprised by your above statement after seeing your earlier replies to people' date=' they seem to be so full of anger and hate. I think that is what got peoples backs up and made them attack your views/reasons as to why you changed teams.

If you had gone about things differently and not lashed out so spitefully towards people i dare say the majority wouldn't of cared.[/quote']

Jamie, you're pretty nice, but most of those people I've talked to before, and believe me, they were the first to strike out like crazy at me. I just turned on a defense mechanism when I see all that.

And yeah last weekend I was just so sick of seeing so much crap that I'd turned on the full-on defense mechanism

I'm really surprised by your above statement after seeing your earlier replies to people' date=' they seem to be so full of anger and hate. I think that is what got peoples backs up and made them attack your views/reasons as to why you changed teams.

If you had gone about things differently and not lashed out so spitefully towards people i dare say the majority wouldn't of cared.[/quote']

^this.. had you just calmly conversed like you did with me, nobody would've given a toss about this ..

^this.. had you just calmly conversed like you did with me' date=' nobody would've given a toss about this ..[/quote']

I mean, it started with someone saying something completely ridiculous at me and I just went off and didn't really stop at that person but just went all the way to everyone else whose statements I disagreed with.

I did say several times that day that I wasn't gonna be all normal that day, I was pretty agitated etc

Safir mate. I think you're into the wrong sport.

I mean, I love football for other things than the rivalries. I love the tactics, and the sort of geekier side of it :D

I don't like the hatred/negativity/judgementalism part of it though

Safir mate. I think you're into the wrong sport.

Also, just look at how I got into this sport. Soccermanager. It's like the geekiest game ever with all the stats and scouting for risers and numbers and stuff. There's no extra points for beating Arsenal with Chelsea, no managerial angry shouts, etc. It's all numbers and monetary amount, and players that are all just bought and sold, etc.

Also' date=' just look at how I got into this sport. Soccermanager. It's like the geekiest game ever with all the stats and scouting for risers and numbers and stuff. There's no extra points for beating Arsenal with Chelsea, no managerial angry shouts, etc. It's all numbers and monetary amount, and players that are all just bought and sold, etc.[/quote']

But this is a game and not real life... which has a few differences :P

But this is a game and not real life... which has a few differences :P

I know, but that's how I first fell in love with football.

I never went to games on stadiums or even watched that many games from TV before SM. Like I watched the occasional Finland qualification game (which we inevitably lost :P) but I never followed a club IRL or anything.

We have a new billionaire owner\ team selector :P

I did wonder why you've only just recently started to pipe up about Leeds :P

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe I'll just lose interest in football and go do something else. I don't know and I honestly don't care.

What saddens me more though is your sheer extent of judgementalism.

You're all just going for the throat on someone who isn't even that experienced in football fandom' date=' and am seriously contemplating quitting since I want nothing to do with this culture of judgementalism.[/quote']

The fundamental problem here is this is a football forum, or at the least, football based threads. People are, and will always be passionate about all things football. There are plenty of people who use the other threads on these forums, the misc threads might appeal to you more currently than these general football ones. Just a suggestion :).

I did wonder why you've only just recently started to pipe up about Leeds :P

The fundamental problem here is this is a football forum' date=' or at the least, football based threads. People are, and will always be passionate about all things football. There are plenty of people who use the other threads on these forums, the misc threads might appeal to you more currently than these general football ones. Just a suggestion :).[/quote']

No income tax, no VAT,

Been hiding yachts in Italy,

Blue and white, poor no more,

This might even make Hunt scoreeeee!

The fundamental problem here is this is a football forum' date=' or at the least, football based threads. People are, and will always be passionate about all things football. There are plenty of people who use the other threads on these forums, the misc threads might appeal to you more currently than these general football ones. Just a suggestion :).[/quote']

Yeah, I mean the people I know in my uni like football but it's not life and death and they're not really mean about it, just playful banter, and generally pretty light-hearted about it.

And well yeah I periodically take time off from the general football areas but this is the place to be if I want to just discuss football.

Yeah' date=' I mean the people I know in my uni like football but it's not life and death and they're not really mean about it, just playful banter, and generally pretty light-hearted about it.

And well yeah I periodically take time off from the general football areas but this is the place to be if I want to just discuss football.[/quote']

The thing is, in reality you don't judge people based just on their opinions on football because you know them as a person. If you're friends with someone, the chances that you're only friends with them just because of what football team you support, and not who they are is very low. On this forum here, which is a football forum, all people really know about each other is what team they support and what their views are, so when someone disagrees with your view they're seeing that view as who you are, because they know nothing else about you. Say for all we know Tony could be one of the best guys around, but we all know what he's like when it comes to football, so our view of him is very different to how his mates would view him. That's just how I find thing anyway.

Another thing that is because this a football forum, and this section in particular is for real life football, you're likely to find most of the discussion is a lot more serious than what it would be when your with your mates. I know with mine everyone is just really biased and I'm always giving one of my good mates who goes for United stick, and after the 5-1 win over Arsenal last season I gave it a lot to a couple of my other mates, but in the end it's all really just, banter.

And it's fair to say this forum was pretty crazy the other night.

So journalists have named a 'best premier league XI'

Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson

P.Schmeichel

G.Neville - T.Adams- J.Terry - A.Cole

C.Ronaldo - S.Gerrard- P.Scholes - R.Giggs

A.Shearer - T.Henry

Pretty disgusting that Lampard isn't in there so not sure how creditable these journos are.

P.Schmeichel

A.Shearer - T.Henry

Pretty disgusting that Lampard isn't in there so not sure how creditable these journos are.

Oh God, not this again. Lampard < Scholes < Gerrard.

P.Schmeichel

A.Shearer - T.Henry

Torres (in his prime), Owen, Vieira, VdS, Bergkamp, Makelele, Zola, Alonso, Giggs, Robben? All in with a shout. Too many good players to rattle it down to just eleven.

P.Schmeichel

A.Shearer - T.Henry

Oh God' date=' not this again. Lampard < Scholes < Gerrard.[/quote']

Yeah this.

P.Schmeichel

A.Shearer - T.Henry

Never mind Fat Frank' date=' how about the greatest player to ever play in this country?