Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

If he turned around tommorow' date=' and said he's joined QPR or whatever. I'd speak just as highly of him.

Yes it's a step up, but it's not as if he's playing alongside a lot of good Championship players. All Watford have to boast about besides him are John Eustace and Marvin Sordell, and yet working with a side who are of quality no better than relegation he's been the Championships top scorer. This is what i believe he can do for us next season, and if he scores double figures - £3.5m is well worth it.

We can't sign players who are established Premiership strikers who have been playing well recentley, it's just not a reality for us to beable to sign them for £3.5m and neither is it a reality to beable to pay there wages. Danny Graham is the perfect signing for us, and i hope we follow it with spending £1.5-2.5m on someone like Matt Mills or Luke Chambers. Yes it's a little bit over the top, but a centre-back of that standard is worth it, very much like the £2.5m for Scott Dann was worth it and the £5m for Roger Johnson was worth it when they spent money on centre-backs after getting promooted.[/quote']

I mean that you should'nt be bragging about signing him - "Super Danny Graham" - before you have ;)

Bit disrespectful to Watford, saying that their squad is relegation quality. They did alright last season, finishing 16th, and he wasn't anywhere near as prolific then as he was this season. It could pay off and he could make the step up to the PL and score double figures, but equally he might be a Championship standard player who had one great season and will flop in the PL. Only time will tell...

And you haven't got a chance of signing Matt Mills for £1.5m - £2m :o

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

I mean that you should'nt be bragging about signing him - "Super Danny Graham" - before you have ;)

Bit disrespectful to Watford' date=' saying that their squad is relegation quality. They did alright last season, finishing 16th, and he wasn't anywhere near as prolific then as he was this season. It could pay off and he could make the step up to the PL and score double figures, but equally he might be a Championship standard player who had one great season and will flop in the PL. Only time will tell...

And you haven't got a chance of signing Matt Mills for £1.5m - £2m :o[/quote']

He's Super Danny Graham whether he joins Swansea or not, as i said he's a great footballer and even if he doesn't join Swansea - although i'll change my avatar - i'm not going to turn around and have a go at him and his abilities.

Yes, Watford finished 16th last season. With the top goalscorer of the Championship amongst there books, yes it's perhaps a little harsh on them, but who in there squad is anything better than League 1 quality other than Marvin Sordell, John Eusteuce and perhaps Scott Loach and Will Buckley.

Matt Mills can leave Reading, they're resigned to letting him go. £2.5 million would probably get him. (I didn't say anything about £1.5-£2m, so i don't know where you've got that from)

He's Super Danny Graham whether he joins Swansea or not' date=' as i said he's a great footballer and even if he doesn't join Swansea - although i'll change my avatar - i'm not going to turn around and have a go at him and his abilities.

Yes, Watford finished 16th last season. With the top goalscorer of the Championship amongst there books, yes it's perhaps a little harsh on them, but who in there squad is anything better than League 1 quality other than Marvin Sordell, John Eusteuce and perhaps Scott Loach and Will Buckley.

Matt Mills can leave Reading, they're resigned to letting him go. £2.5 million would probably get him. (I didn't say anything about £1.5-£2m, so i don't know where you've got that from)[/quote']

Haha yeh, but I don't go praising players we don't own in my avatars etc :P

They finished 14th this season with the top scorer, the season before (09/10) they finished 16th and Graham only bagged 14 goals in 37 games, so the rest of the squad must have chipped in with their fair share. I don't know Watford well enough to claim whether other players are League 1 quality or not.

Sorry, I read your post wrong. Hope we bid for Matt Mills if he's available :o

Bit disrespectful to Watford' date=' saying that their squad is relegation quality.[/b'] They did alright last season, finishing 16th, and he wasn't anywhere near as prolific then as he was this season. It could pay off and he could make the step up to the PL and score double figures, but equally he might be a Championship standard player who had one great season and will flop in the PL. Only time will tell...

And you haven't got a chance of signing Matt Mills for £1.5m - £2m :o

To be fair, in 09/10, if Watford didn't have Lansbury, Cleverly and Cathcart on loan all season, they would have gone down. Those three carried them that year. Obviously, I can't comment on their efforts this year.

Haha yeh' date=' but I don't go praising players we don't own in my avatars etc :P

They finished 14th this season with the top scorer, the season before (09/10) they finished 16th and Graham only bagged 14 goals in 37 games, so the rest of the squad must have chipped in with their fair share. I don't know Watford well enough to claim whether other players are League 1 quality or not.

Sorry, I read your post wrong. Hope we bid for Matt Mills if he's available :o[/quote']

As Andy said, without Cleverley, Cathcart and Lansbury they would have gone down. Graham's 14 goal is a goal job even then though, as the squad is very poor, and has been since 09/10 really when they let go of the crop that got them into the Premiership.

Reading to Leicester, bit of a side-step really. I'm sure if he were to leave Reading, it would be to guarentee Premiership football, well at least i would hope that would be the case :o

I really don't think there squad is Championship, i can see them going down easily next season. An even weaker squad than Barnsley's or Peterborough's perhaps, they simply rely on youth players to make up the numbers.

As Andy said' date=' without Cleverley, Cathcart and Lansbury they would have gone down. Graham's 14 goal is a goal job even then though, as the squad is very poor, and has been since 09/10 really when they let go of the crop that got them into the Premiership.

[b']Reading to Leicester, bit of a side-step really. I'm sure if he were to leave Reading, it would be to guarentee Premiership football, well at least i would hope that would be the case :o[/b]

I really don't think there squad is Championship, i can see them going down easily next season. An even weaker squad than Barnsley's or Peterborough's perhaps, they simply rely on youth players to make up the numbers.

From what i've seen and heard of Leicster in the transfer market , i'm sure they will not be a step sideways in the long-term , short term yes , long term no B)

From what i've seen and heard of Leicster in the transfer market ' date=' i'm sure they will not be a step sideways in the long-term , short term yes , long term no B)[/quote']

It is a step up, but is it really worth leaving Reading for another Championship side. I mean there's always a chance they couldn't do well next season, look at Middlesbrough, look at Bristol City. Swansea are a Premiership club, and whether we go down or not it's the chance to play Premiership and if you do well enough he can always end up leaving us for any Premier League club that is looking to buy him.

I'm delighted! Competition from West Brom and mainly QPR apparantly' date=' but i'm glad he's coming down to Swansea. He's what we want, yes there are other strikers out there and probably for £500k cheaper and maybe a little younger, but this lad is what we need. Good workrate makes runs, fairly fast and can finish. Pretty much what Fabio Borini did down here and that's why he was so succesfull, i'd rather Borini have joined but we have to move on and Graham is a fantastic buy.

[b']Way back in March 2004, we signed Paul Connor from Rochdale for a fee of £35,000. The first time we had spent money on a player in 5 YEARS. June 2011, and it looks like we've secured the signing of Danny Graham from Watford for a fee of £3.5 million.[/b]

It's incredible really. More then tripled the £1 million that we've probably now completely spent on Scott Sinclair, so he is by far and away our record signing.

Now let's be hoping the deal is finalised, so i'm not looking like an idiot here and i'm going to look forward to what else we can bring in. Now that the main issue has been sorted :)

Danny Graham is the complete opposite of fast.

It's always going to be a risk when you look at Championship strikers stepping up. Someone like DJ Campbell made the step up reasonably well, but then players who have been top scorer at that level like Ebanks-Blake have struggled. Given the last player the Albion signed from the 2nd tier to lead out line was Nathan Ellington I'd be quite contented to let this one pass us by.

I'd be sliightly concerned with the way he plays. If you look at those strikers that have made the step-up successfully a fair percentage of them have the pace to be a threat behind, which is no surprise given that they're likely to be playing for a smaller club against teams using higher lines and leaving space in behind. Strikers who play with their back to goal more or have a reputation as poachers haven't fared as well, Ellington, Ebanks-Blake or Marlon King for example. He's not exactly a blueprint of a successful top flight striker, but it depends on so many variables that you can never tell. He might fit into Swansea's, QPR's or wherever he ends up system.

It's always going to be a risk when you look at Championship strikers stepping up. Someone like DJ Campbell made the step up reasonably well' date=' but then players who have been top scorer at that level like Ebanks-Blake have struggled. Given the last player the Albion signed from the 2nd tier to lead out line was Nathan Ellington I'd be quite contented to let this one pass us by. [/b']

I'd be sliightly concerned with the way he plays. If you look at those strikers that have made the step-up successfully a fair percentage of them have the pace to be a threat behind, which is no surprise given that they're likely to be playing for a smaller club against teams using higher lines and leaving space in behind. Strikers who play with their back to goal more or have a reputation as poachers haven't fared as well, Ellington, Ebanks-Blake or Marlon King for example. He's not exactly a blueprint of a successful top flight striker, but it depends on so many variables that you can never tell. He might fit into Swansea's, QPR's or wherever he ends up system.

Difference between him and Danny Graham is that DJ Campbell had some experience of top flight football plus the fact he also cost around £1.5 Million some £2 Million less than Graham will do if he joins Swansea.

Also with Campbell he got an awful lot of chances with the way Blackpool played and although Swansea do go and create chances going forward they won't create as many for Graham as they will for Campbell,I do think Graham is a perfect fit for the way Swansea play but with him not having the pace in behind Campbell does as well I don't think he will get the 13 DJ Campbell got last year,if Graham does eventually sign for Swansea I think he'd get between 8-11 goals if he remains fully fit,Sinclair will need to chip in with goals as well and hope some other guys get goals as well.

It is a step up' date=' but is it really worth leaving Reading for another Championship side. I mean there's always a chance they couldn't do well next season, look at Middlesbrough, look at Bristol City. Swansea are a Premiership club, and whether we go down or not it's the chance to play Premiership and if you do well enough he can always end up leaving us for any Premier League club that is looking to buy him.[/quote']

There were roumers linking him with a move back to St Marys , i doubt them highly. From what i've seen of him , i have to admit he is very good at what he does and he would be a great signing for you guys. Although i think if his heads screwed on he will ignore the flashing lights of the Premier League with you guys as there is no doubting you are favourites for relegation and move to a club already mid table solid prem club or a championship club where he can gain promotion next season and have a better chance of securing premier league football year after year from then on in.

I want Swansea to prove me wrong , after all i really like their style of play. I just think it's going to be a long hard season for you guys and wouldn't it be better he joined a stronger club for the future.

Graham is a clincal striker though, 27 goals for a poor Watford side on the back of 14 goals for a just as poor Watford side shows you that. He doesn't have many chances at Watford, but he takes them - i know that from watching him play against us.

This isn't really us signing an unproven Premiership striker, this is us signing the top scorer in the division that we were in this season. Everybody in our squad is going to be unproven in the Premiership, even those who've played the odd few games there like Scott Sinclair, Craig Beattie, Luke Moore and Garry Monk.

There's a reason DJ Campbell went for £1.5 million, for a start Leicester didn't even want him. He only scored 14 goals last season, nothing out of the ordinary at Championship level is it whilst out on loan to a side that were promoted. Graham was the top scorer, in the Championship it doesn't get better than that. People make the Ebanks-Blake comment, but Ebanks-Blake was injured throughout 09/10 and this season as the 3rd choice striker he was Wolves top scorer with 14 goals (same amount as DJ Campbell scored this season). Graham will be our outright first choice striker, there's no doubt he's going to play everygame he's fit for.

We still do need another striker though, possibly replacing Craig Beattie. Hopefully it will be somebody for <£500k from Spain or Holland who can do the buisness.

There were roumers linking him with a move back to St Marys ' date=' i doubt them highly. From what i've seen of him , i have to admit he is very good at what he does and he would be a great signing for you guys. Although i think if his heads screwed on he will ignore the flashing lights of the Premier League with you guys as there is no doubting you are favourites for relegation and move to a club already mid table solid prem club or a championship club where he can gain promotion next season and have a better chance of securing premier league football year after year from then on in.

[b']I want Swansea to prove me wrong , after all i really like their style of play. I just think it's going to be a long hard season for you guys and wouldn't it be better he joined a stronger club for the future.

[/b]

We've been proving everybody wrong year after year. From avoiding relegation to the Conference in 2003, to mounting a play-off challenge in 2004, to gaining automatic promotion to League 1 in 2005, to making the play-off final in 2006, to mounting a play-off challenge in 2007, to winning the league outright in 2008, to mount a play-off challenge in 2009, to almost making the play-offs in 2010 to winning promotion to 2011.

It just happens year on year, who would have thought we'd have gone up this year? Not many.

Regardless of our chances of relegation, and i still have no doubt we've got a better chance of survival than Norwich. Simply due to the fact that they can't get away with that sort of defence in the Premiership, unlike us who are on the back of having the 2nd best defence in the Championship only to QPR. Even if we go down, i highly doubt Southampton will be in the Premiership or a better club long term than us with us automatically a favourite for promotion due to us just going down, and having parachute money to try and push our way up into the division.

Surely the chance to play Premiership football, will help him to a better career. If Matt Mills proved that with us, then he could easily move on to another Premiership club like David Vaughan, Charlie Adam DJ Campbell and these sorts of players can do from Blackpool. Leicester to go up is far from a certainty, whilst Premiership fooball is guarenteed at Swansea - and i think that it would be a far better move for him then to play Championship football next season.

First Swansea City signing confirmed for the summer. That is the signing of Danny Graham from Watford for a fee of £3.5m on a long 4 year contract, with a 15% sell on clause to compensate for the money lost by Watford with Carlisle's sell on clause when Graham joined Watford originally.

He is quality, whether we spent a lot or not, it shows the club is prepared to pay a lot of money for the signings that we needed. Graham is what we need, he'll fit in with our style of play and hopefully he'll score the goals needed and what i'd of expected.

5mLQ2_4xqH4

Here's the goals scored by Graham this season for Watford, it shows his quality. He's able to take the most of any sort of opportunities which the creativity of the likes of Bodde, Allen and Dobbie will give him and the cut-backs that Dyer and Sinclair will give them.

Allen Bodde

Dyer Dobbie Sinclair

Graham

This is the potential make up of our midfield and attack with the signing of Graham. It looks very strong, this can still be improved upon. It's almost certain that we're going to bring in a back-up forward to add to Luke Moore instead of someone like Craig Beattie, and Leroy Lita has been linked. At the back we're set to bring in at least one player in, either in on loan or permanantly so we are still going to improve.

DANNY GRAHAM IS A JACK!!!

I think he could be a shrewd signing' date=' but i wouldnt call him quality :o[/quote']

For us, he is "quality". Not neccesarily premiership "quality", but Premiership ability more then anything. The top scorer of the division we've just been promoted in, with a side that has nothing about them in truth. I think he can be like Dean Ashton in the way that he's done so well with a poor club (in Ashton's case Crewe) and with a newly promoted club (in Ashton's case Norwich) he can be a good player. Maybe a little ambitious but he is the right player to get in the box and get in the positions which will find him goals with the balls from Dobbie, Bodde and Allen and the cut-backs from the wingers.

For us' date=' he is "quality". Not neccesarily premiership "quality", but Premiership ability more then anything.[/b'] The top scorer of the division we've just been promoted in, with a side that has nothing about them in truth. I think he can be like Dean Ashton in the way that he's done so well with a poor club (in Ashton's case Crewe) and with a newly promoted club (in Ashton's case Norwich) he can be a good player. Maybe a little ambitious but he is the right player to get in the box and get in the positions which will find him goals with the balls from Dobbie, Bodde and Allen and the cut-backs from the wingers.

The bolded bit makes no sense...

And once again, you're being harsh on Watford. Two mid-table finishes, stop acting as if without Graham they would be certain for relegation.

The bolded bit makes no sense...

And once again' date=' you're being harsh on Watford. Two mid-table finishes, stop acting as if without Graham they would be certain for relegation.[/quote']

Yes it does, it means he's not premiership quality, as in somebody who's going to be up in the top 25/50 premiership players. But he's got the ability to play at this level and will be key for us this season.

You've told me before, you know little about the ability of the Watford team. Yes they've got a great manager but they've got nothing in them. Danny Graham is a Premiership player. Will Buckley, Don Cowie, John Eusteuce, Marvin Sordell and Scott Loach are the only players with Championship ability. They've lost Graham and Buckley, they will be down the bottom of the league next season if they replace.

They are made up of youth players who aren't even that strong, similar to Preston really, and i can't see them staying up and without the 27 goals of Danny Graham they wouldn't have been anywhere near where they were this weason.

Yes it does' date=' it means he's not premiership quality, as in somebody who's going to be up in the top 25/50 premiership players. But he's got the ability to play at this level and will be key for us this season.[/quote']

I'd be extremely surprised if Swansea have any Premier League quality next season then :P

Yes it does' date=' it means he's not premiership quality, as in somebody who's going to be up in the top 25/50 premiership players. But he's got the ability to play at this level and will be key for us this season.

You've told me before, you know little about the ability of the Watford team. Yes they've got a great manager but they've got nothing in them. Danny Graham is a Premiership player. Will Buckley, Don Cowie, John Eusteuce, Marvin Sordell and Scott Loach are the only players with Championship ability. They've lost Graham and Buckley, they will be down the bottom of the league next season if they replace.

They are made up of youth players who aren't even that strong, similar to Preston really, and i can't see them staying up and without the 27 goals of Danny Graham they wouldn't have been anywhere near where they were this weason.[/quote']

If he's got the ability to play at Premier League level then he's PL quality, in my eyes anyway :o

You've just said that half their team are Championship quality, despite saying in your previous post that their side "has nothing about them" B)

I don't know much about them, I just feel that it's disrespectful of you to say that they're a poor team despite them finishing mid-table for at least the last two seasons.

And Graham got 24 goals.

I'd be extremely surprised if Swansea have any Premier League quality next season then :P

I'm talking about the quality of the Premier League. Any of the newly promoted sides won't have that' date=' i don't know.

He's a good signing and will score plenty of goals, that's all i know. :)

If he's got the ability to play at Premier League level then he's PL quality, in my eyes anyway :o

You've just said that half their team are Championship quality, despite saying in your previous post that their side "has nothing about them" B)

I don't know much about them, I just feel that it's disrespectful of you to say that they're a poor team despite them finishing mid-table for at least the last two seasons.

And Graham got 24 goals.

I said five of their players were Championship quality, you can take Will Buckley out of that aswell as he's gone to Norwich as potential, leaving four of there players with the ability to keep them up in the Championship. The rest aren't anything above League 1 or with any quality to keep Watford from being a League 1 club.

They've finished mid-table this season because of Graham's goal, last season because of the loans of Craig Cathcart, Henri Lansbury and Tom Cleverley along with Graham's 14 goals that season (which is by all means, a good amount).

Gram scored 27 goals in all competitions, and along with Sinclair - is the most in the Championship.