Official Premier League Discussion Thread

bcfc12345

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14104170.stm

This source being the most reliable, although there is other sources including the Daily Mail that have revealed that we've had a £1.8-2m bid accepted for Wayne Routledge. If this is true i'd be delighted, we do need another winger in and Routledge is a player i really like. He has fantastic pace and when ever the Swans have played against him, he's been a real threat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14179072.stm

This is even better news. The contract extension of Joe Allen. This follows Neil Taylor signing a four year deal, and whilst it's not known how long the deal is for it is said to be a long term deal. I love everything about the style of Joe Allen, his ability and his attitude. I really want to see him playing regularly at the Swans for many years to come and next season i'm hoping he can be a first team regular alongside Ferrie Bodde.

Today there has been a lot of development on the transfer market as expected, with the signings of 1-2 players expected by the start of the weekend.

David Stockdale - We've apparantly made a better bid for Stockdale, whether it be a loan bid or a bigger cash bad, i'm unsure but there's obviously been an attempt to sign him by Rodgers. I'm not confident we'll get him though.

Wayne Routledge - Whilst there was rumors our bid had been accepted, there's also rumors a Forest bid had been accepted and a couple of papers have said that Leicester are set to sign him. So god knows what's actually happening here, on his twitter he looked keen on a move back to QPR but he has stated he's unsure what's happening at the moment.

Mariano Pavone - Who exactly? Some Argentinian striker playing for Real Betis. Blackburn had more or less signed him last week on a free transfer, but we're now supposed to be after him along with Fulham. We need another forward, i'd take him, but i'm not sure how well he'd do with me being unaware of his ability.

David Jones - Turned down a contract at Wolves, and is rumored to be joining the Swans in our pre-season tour of Austria. I'm unsure whether this is accurate, but i'd love to bring him in on a free. He would have cost £750k+ but if he is joining our pre-season tour then we'd have the option to sign him for nothing. Couldn't play regularly last season for Wolves, but i think if he joined us he could thrive and get in the first team regularly as he suits our style of play a lot more then he'd suit Wolves, but he's a good passer with a rocket shot and even if he doesn't do well then he'd be a good squad player.

How come when Norwich got promoted, a few Norwich fans jumped out and said how glad they were, and yet a lot of pre-season has past and we have had practically no Norwich news posted by these fans? :o

9nL1-xO_b6U&feature=related

On loan at Norwich for the season. Maybe the best move for him, he'll get first team football and will hopefully show England just how good he is. The guy fully deserves PL football, Norwich have pulled off a great signing here. He's got a great left foot (as seen by the goal above) for a RB, he's got a brilliant shot (as he proved a couple of times last season by firing in from 25-30 yards, fast, strong tackle, great stamina, is good in the air and, unlike many RBs, can actually defend.

Best of luck Kyle.

EDIT: Found a decent video of one one his 30 yarders. I'd recommend watching the whole video (as I would :P ), but Naughton's wonder strike is on 3.22 :)

ht9kKJh6T5g&feature=related

How come when Norwich got promoted' date=' a few Norwich fans jumped out and said how glad they were, and yet a lot of pre-season has past and we have had practically no Norwich news posted by these fans? :o[/quote']

To be fair, there was only two I think - Hunty, who's a Chelsea fan first and foremost and jr231990 (if I've memorised that correctly), who has in fact posted a fair few times on the Norwich City thread this summer (yes, there is a Norwich City thread!). Even he's primarily a United fan I think.

To be fair' date=' there was only two I think - Hunty, who's a Chelsea fan first and foremost and jr231990 (if I've memorised that correctly), who has in fact posted a fair few times on the Norwich City thread this summer (yes, there is a Norwich City thread!). Even he's primarily a United fan I think.[/quote']

Considering there's only 30 posts in the thread, with the last post being on the 10th June, it's no wonder I didn't see it :o

Anywho, Naughton will be a great signing for them :P

Naughton is a great signing for Norwich, and Russel Martin is also a key player at full-back with De Laet as a good back-up full-back. But they've not adressed there key problem still - centre-backs! I honestly don't think they have the defensive ability or strength in them to stay up, seeing as there defence was weak in the Championship. This wouldn't really be a major concern seeing as there's a good while in the window left, but Lambert has said he's signed all the players he's after.

Anyway the Swans look like they could be on to a 4th signing of the summer. We've had a £1.75m bid accepted for Middlesbrough's Leroy Lita according to a number of sources. We still would need to agree personal terms, which the deal could well fall down on, but i think he'd be a pretty good signing, he's got a lot of pace and can score goals which is more then we have in the likes of Craig Beattie anyway. Think the fee is a little much to be honest, but it's not a ridicolous fee like the £3m that Middlesbrough were originally demanding for him.

Naughton is a great signing for Norwich' date=' and Russel Martin is also a key player at full-back with De Laet as a good back-up full-back. But they've not adressed there key problem still - centre-backs! I honestly don't think they have the defensive ability or strength in them to stay up, seeing as there defence was weak in the Championship. This wouldn't really be a major concern seeing as there's a good while in the window left, but Lambert has said he's signed all the players he's after.

Anyway the Swans look like they could be on to a 4th signing of the summer. We've had a £1.75m bid accepted for Middlesbrough's Leroy Lita according to a number of sources. We still would need to agree personal terms, which the deal could well fall down on, but i think he'd be a pretty good signing, he's got a lot of pace and can score goals which is more then we have in the likes of Craig Beattie anyway. Think the fee is a little much to be honest, but it's not a ridicolous fee like the £3m that Middlesbrough were originally demanding for him.[/quote']

Norwich will beat Derby's lowest points record, to quick for them to come up and they just don't have a Player that IMO is Premier League Quality.

Norwich will beat Derby's lowest points record' date=' to quick for them to come up and they just don't have a Player that IMO is Premier League Quality.[/quote']

At the moment they probably don't, but they do have one of the best managers in the country who will certainly get the best out of what he's got.

They'll stay up as long as they keep Lambert as manager. 1 more CB with experience possibly needed but that's it.

At the moment they probably don't' date=' but they do have one of the best managers in the country who will certainly get the best out of what he's got.

They'll stay up as long as they keep Lambert as manager. 1 more CB with experience possibly needed but that's it.[/quote']

I agree with the Lambert part, but I just dont see Norwich doing well.

Nice to see everybody has faith in Norwich here.

Its not about 'Premier League' quality, look at teams such as West Ham. They had players that were regarded as 'Premier League' quality and lets be honest, they sucked this season! Its nice to see a manager signing players which he calls 'hungry' but I do think a bit of experience is needed, even if its just a level head in the dressing room for the younger/less experienced players to look to, even if he doesn't play a big part on the pitch.

I think we'll stay up next season, just. Also Lambert hasn't signed all the players he wanted. He says he's always on the lookout for new players, but personally the squad depth we have at the moment I don't really think we need anyone else. Except to get a new 2nd choice keeper as I really don't like Rudd.

Nice to see everybody has faith in Norwich here.

I have faith in Norwich...well, I have faith in Lambert. As George said, as long as Lambert isn't pinched mid-season, I think Norwich will stay up comfortably, higher than both the other two promoted sides by a clear margin.

Naughton is a great signing for Norwich' date=' and Russel Martin is also a key player at full-back with De Laet as a good back-up full-back. But they've not adressed there key problem still - centre-backs! I honestly don't think they have the defensive ability or strength in them to stay up, seeing as there defence was weak in the Championship. This wouldn't really be a major concern seeing as there's a good while in the window left, but Lambert has said he's signed all the players he's after.

Anyway the Swans look like they could be on to a 4th signing of the summer. We've had a £1.75m bid accepted for Middlesbrough's Leroy Lita according to a number of sources. We still would need to agree personal terms, which the deal could well fall down on, but i think he'd be a pretty good signing, he's got a lot of pace and can score goals which is more then we have in the likes of Craig Beattie anyway. Think the fee is a little much to be honest, but it's not a ridicolous fee like the[b'] £3m that Middlesbrough were originally demanding for him.[/b]

What makes you think we wanted that? Use originally offered 2 million for him and emnes, that was, ridiculous.

What makes you think we wanted that? Use originally offered 2 million for him and emnes' date=' that was, ridiculous.[/quote']

That wasn't a ridicolous bid, that's £1m for the pair of them. £1 million for a player at Championship level,who hasn't exactly overachieved is not a poor amount of money. You can't ridicule that bid.

That wasn't a ridicolous bid' date=' that's £1m for the pair of them. £1 million for a player at Championship level,who hasn't exactly overachieved is not a poor amount of money. You can't ridicule that bid.[/quote']

Well considering you nearly paid that for just one of them, the worse one of the two, then it is.

Well considering you nearly paid that for just one of them' date=' the worse one of the two, then it is.[/quote']

Well we've generally overpaid for Leroy Lita on the whole, i think he's only really worth about £1.25 million. I don't think Emnes is as good as Lita, although that is as a striker and he may play better on the wing. Emnes is inconsistant upfront and is too quiet.

Regardless if your 2nd and 3rd rate strikers were genuinally worth over £2m each, then you wouldn't be finishing 12th in the league. Ipswich who finished on the same points as you wouldn't get that for their 2nd and 3rd rate strikers in Scotland and Priskin.

Well we've generally overpaid for Leroy Lita on the whole' date=' i think he's only really worth about £1.25 million. I don't think Emnes is as good as Lita, although that is as a striker and he may play better on the wing. Emnes is inconsistant upfront and is too quiet.

Regardless if your 2nd and 3rd rate strikers were genuinally worth over £2m each, then you wouldn't be finishing 12th in the league. Ipswich who finished [b']on the same points as you wouldn't get that for their 2nd and 3rd rate strikers in Scotland and Priskin[/b].

That means absolutely nothing. We had a poor last season as a whole, emnes didnt play until he came back from use. Mcdonald was injured for a large part of the season, but this is the wrong thread.

You paid 3.5million for Dan graham, and i dont recall watford doing too well? stupid point you made.

Emnes would suit your style of play a lot more than lita would, he is a much better footballer.

EDIT:Also you cant say our valuation was ridiculous, which is a fugure you made up off the top of your head btw. He is worth a lot more too US than the one million you offered.

That means absolutely nothing. We had a poor last season as a whole' date=' emnes didnt play until he came back from use. Mcdonald was injured for a large part of the season, but this is the wrong thread.

You paid 3.5million for Dan graham, and i dont recall watford doing too well? stupid point you made.

Emnes would suit your style of play a lot more than lita would, he is a much better footballer.

EDIT:Also you cant say our valuation was ridiculous, which is a fugure you made up off the top of your head btw. He is worth a lot more too US than the one million you offered.[/quote']

Yes we paid £3.5 million for Danny Graham, when Watford finished a point behind you. But Graham did score 27 goals throughout the season. Emnes or Lita didn't stand out as key players for your side.

Danny Graham - 49 games, 27 goals

Leroy Lita - 41 games, 12 goals

Jason Scotland - 45 games, 10 goals

Jason Scotland was rumored to be leaving Ipswich for Sheffield Wednesday for £750,000. As you can see from the stats above Lita should be a lot closer to Scotland's £750k value than Graham's £3.5m value seeing as you were originally asking £3m for Lita.

I'm not saying Lita's a bad player i'd be pleased if we signed him, but you can't make out that bidding around £1m originally for him is a poor offer because he's simply not shown to be valued over that over in recent times.

Yes we paid £3.5 million for Danny Graham' date=' when Watford finished a point behind you. But Graham did score 27 goals throughout the season. Emnes or Lita didn't stand out as key players for your side.

[b']Danny Graham[/b] 49 games, 27 goals

Leroy Lita 41 games, 12 goals

Jason Scotland 45 games, 10 goals

Jason Scotland was rumored to be leaving Ipswich for Sheffield Wednesday for £750,000. As you can see from the stats above Lita should be a lot closer to Scotland's £750k value than Graham's £3.5m value seeing as you were originally asking £3m for Lita.

I'm not saying Lita's a bad player i'd be pleased if we signed him, but you can't make out that bidding around £1m originally for him is a poor offer because he's simply not shown to be valued over that over in recent times.

I know he is not as good as graham, you are missing the point here. You are saying they werent worth more than 2million for the pair as ipswich wouldnt get that for their 2nd and 3rd choice strikers, which is irrelevant.

Lita is a better player than Scotland, and you know that.

Emnes is better than lita in the eyes of nearly every boro fan, so if use are paying 1.75 for lita, we would demand the same, if not more for emnes. So to us, 2m is a ridiculous offer.

Yes we paid £3.5 million for Danny Graham' date=' when Watford finished a point behind you. But Graham did score 27 goals throughout the season. Emnes or Lita didn't stand out as key players for your side.

[b']Danny Graham -[/b] 49 games, 27 goals

Leroy Lita - 41 games, 12 goals

Jason Scotland - 45 games, 10 goals

There's a lot more to strikers than goals Aiden, otherwise we would've signed Yakubu weeks ago.

I know he is not as good as graham' date=' you are missing the point here. You are saying they werent worth more than 2million for the pair as ipswich wouldnt get that for their 2nd and 3rd choice strikers, which is irrelevant.

Lita is a better player than Scotland, and you know that.

Emnes is better than lita in the eyes of nearly every boro fan, so if use are paying 1.75 for lita, we would demand the same, if not more for emnes. So to us, 2m is a ridiculous offer.[/quote']

Well Lita and Emnes haven't consistantly shown that they are worth the sort of money that Boro want for them. Not with goals and from what i have seen of them (in particular Emnes) they're performances aren't much to shout about.

And don't worry, if we manage to sign Routledge or another winger then we won't be after Emnes. Emnes did very little down here, he scored the goal against Cardiff and as a result will always be more then just a short loan player but even in that game he was probably the worst player on the pitch. Did well on his debut against Leicester, scoring one and setting the other one up but i really didn't rate him down here like the majority of Swansea fans and i'd much rather we sign a different winger.

Lita is better than Scotland, but not by a lot. Probably to justify being worth £1m.

There's a lot more to strikers than goals Aiden' date=' otherwise we would've signed Yakubu weeks ago.[/quote']

That is true, but performance wise Lita and Emnes don't stand out as excellent and haven't shown they're worth £2.5 million each like Boro seem to think.

Well Lita and Emnes haven't consistantly shown that they are worth the sort of money that Boro want for them. Not with goals and from what i have seen of them (in particular Emnes) they're performances aren't much to shout about.

And don't worry' date=' if we manage to sign Routledge or another winger then we won't be after Emnes. Emnes did very little down here, he scored the goal against Cardiff and as a result will always be more then just a short loan player but even in that game he was probably the worst player on the pitch. Did well on his debut against Leicester, scoring one and setting the other one up but i really didn't rate him down here like the majority of Swansea fans and i'd much rather we sign a different winger.

Lita is better than Scotland, but not by a lot. Probably to justify being worth £1m.

[b']That is true, but performance wise Lita and Emnes don't stand out as excellent and haven't shown they're worth £2.5 million each like Boro seem to think.[/b]

If that was how much we valued them, why would we sell lita for £1.75m:confused: come on aiden, stop making up random figures.

Emnes cant have done too bad for use, considering Brendan wanted to keep hold of him. Emnes performances have been brilliant since he returned from loan, his problem is a lack of confidence.

Onto Lita, he is rapid, a decent finisher (nothing more) and fairly good in the air for his size. Negatives, his passing and first touch is poor, he is constantly offside ( going to happen if you play on the shoulder, though)

If that was how much we valued them' date=' why would we sell lita for £1.75m:confused: come on aiden, stop making up random figures.

Emnes cant have done too bad for use, considering Brendan wanted to keep hold of him. Emnes performances have been brilliant since he returned from loan, his problem is a lack of confidence.

Onto Lita, he is rapid, a decent finisher (nothing more) and fairly good in the air for his size. Negatives, his passing and first touch is poor, he is constantly offside ( going to happen if you play on the shoulder, though)[/quote']

http://thesun.mobi/sol/homepage/sport/football/3714223/Middlesbrough-put-a-5million-price-tag-on-Swansea-targets-Marvin-Emnes-and-Leroy-Lita.html?mob=1

Yes it's the sun, but the sun are also the one's who claim we bid £2m for the pair.

It just seems you wanted £5 million for them originally, and the whole point really is that i feel bidding £2m for the pair isn't a poor bid.

Emnes was poor, did very little in more or less every game he played in for us. In the Championship he would be someone we probably would have been after, but it's only because he's a step up from the likes of Craig Beattie and Gorka Pintado who are just awful at Championship level.

http://thesun.mobi/sol/homepage/sport/football/3714223/Middlesbrough-put-a-5million-price-tag-on-Swansea-targets-Marvin-Emnes-and-Leroy-Lita.html?mob=1

Yes it's the sun' date=' but the sun are also the one's who claim we bid £2m for the pair.

It just seems you wanted £5 million for them originally, and the whole point really is that i feel bidding £2m for the pair isn't a poor bid.

Emnes was poor, did very little in more or less every game he played in for us. In the Championship he would be someone we probably would have been after, but it's only because he's a step up from the likes of Craig Beattie and Gorka Pintado who are just awful at Championship level.[/quote']

Your chairman has come out and stated that you wanted emnes ( this is after you got promoted, so dont talk rubbish).

I know use bidded 2million for the pair, but we no one from our club said we wanted 5 million, so we will leave it there.

Your chairman has come out and stated that you wanted emnes ( this is after you got promoted' date=' so dont talk rubbish).

I know use bidded 2million for the pair, but we no one from our club said we wanted 5 million, so we will leave it there.[/quote']

Yes Emnes may well have been a target, but we're not after signing both of them. Emnes and Lita were the two targets for the one forward we needed to bring in. If Lita joins and Emnes also does arrive then Emnes isn't going to be brought in as a striker but instead as a back-up winger to Sinclair and Dyer.