Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread

The only good thing about Redknapp's comment today is that mathematicians have managed to find a number infinitely smaller than 0 in order to describe how much credibility he has as a pundit now.

It's called a Knapper.

Absolute joke of a statement. Everyone knows Gerrard is good' date=' but not up there with the absolute best in the PL[/b']. He is a legend in Liverpool but staying at one club isn't even unique and technically he's not even done that now with his move to LA.

His status at the club is assured, and rightly so, thanks his CL exploit but when it comes down to it he never won the PL. If he was THAT good (better than those midfielders combined) then he's single handedly be winning the league for any club. My goodness people lose sight of reality when a bit of a spectacle is made.

Anyway I personally think the guard of honour was a nice touch, I would have supported something similar for Scholes, Giggs and Neville but IMO those guys are far more unique than Gerrard. They stayed from beginning to end with the club winning everything there is to win along the way whereas Gerrard is leaving for one last money grab in the USA.

I'm a huge fan of Gerrard BTW before anyone says 'UNITED BIAS OMG' I just think his achievements need to be put into context, he was a great player in an very good team, but the lack of a PL medal will IMO forever taint his career. Certainly a PL great, but nowhere near the greatest and there isn't a single argument to suggest otherwise.

I pretty much agree with this, however there are bolded bits where I think you went too far. He is absolutely up there with the best in the Premier League. The best, absolutely not. The best in his position, also not. But he is up there with the best. The top 10 or so players to play in the Premier League? Absolutely.

Comparing him to the United teams is unfair, have you seen some of the absolute calamities of players he's had to play with? Djimi Traore? Andrea Dossena? Alberto Nunez? There were a fair few awful players back then.

It is the only thing he hasn't won the PL medal. Last year would have been an amazing achievement, and I am sure all Liverpool fans will be extremely sad that he has never won one. But it does not taint his career. It does not lessen him in anyway as a footballer and his achievements.

For us, he's been that one fan who fulfilled his dream of playing for Liverpool.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Is it just me or is it really easy to picture either Ings or Austin at Everton come the Transfer Windows opening?

Just you. I can picture them at just about every club in the Premier League, God knows where they will actually end up. I can see Ings returning to Bourenmouth and Austin going to just about anywhere too. Only time will tell.

Jesus guys please dont disagree with Ben because I really CBA with him holding up more threads with his essays of drivel.

Yes Gerrard is one of the best in PL history.

Yes Redknapp will have his own opinion, and does not have to check with you before he says it.

No he doesn't give 2 hoots what you think.

Is it just me or is it really easy to picture either Ings or Austin at Everton come the Transfer Windows opening?

Just you, Ings will be at Liverpool and Everton won't pay the asking price for Austin unless we sell Lukaku.

Two more lower league players failing drug tests. Someone is definitely grassing as it is unusual for so many to get caught at once.

He's nowhere near Nani at his best from a technical or talent point of view. Lest we forget Nani for a period of 2 years was our best player.

When people say stuff like this they go into my "Never take their opinion seriously, category"

Nani has always struggled to be our best player for two minutes, never mind two years, hahahahahaha!

When people say stuff like this they go into my "Never take their opinion seriously' date=' category"

Nani has always struggled to be our best player for two minutes, never mind two years, hahahahahaha![/quote']

Biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard in my life. Usually the kind of opinion borrowed from the drivel spouted on sky. The only nonsense more annoying that uninformed nonsense is revisionist nonsense. Poor last 2 seasons for varying reasons but was clearly our best and most productive player from about Jan 2010 to Jan 2012. In fact, he was the most productive player in the league during that period and up there in Europe let alone United.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/May/Nani-is-players-player.aspx

It appears you don't think much of anyone associated with United starting from the manager right down to the players.

Nani has always struggled to be our best player for two minutes

:rolleyes:

If ever a post deserved a rolleyes smiley...

According to 1 paper

A foreign midfielder is refusing to train with the player and has told his manager he wants out at the end of the season.

The Guilty international defender who is believed to have been romping with his teammate’s girlfriend at their country mansion

Also a bust up between the pair in a training ground session

The Foreign midfielder moving at end of season abroad

Also this bitter feud that has not helped the club’s form on the pitch as the affair started just after Christmas

Jesus guys please dont disagree with Ben because I really CBA with him holding up more threads with his essays of drivel.

Yes Gerrard is one of the best in PL history.

Yes Redknapp will have his own opinion' date=' and does not have to check with you before he says it.

No he doesn't give 2 hoots what you think.[/quote']

Nobody is forcing you to read anything I post and if you find anything about my posts offensive then I am sure a mod will assist you there.

Also if you have a problem with me discussing football, on topic might I add, on a public forum within guidelines then PM me about it rather than whining here.

I opened a debate up about Steven Gerrard and his place in PL history on this thread and the Liverpool thread and it created some great discussion with good points made by several forumers. It increased the activity of the forum and gave everyone a chance to reflect on the legend that is Steven Gerrard. I have made my views a lot clearer on the Liverpool thread.

Some people enjoy reading my posts and I enjoy the discussion that occurs after I post so I won't be changing anytime soon.

I am not sure what you find so upsetting about the possibility of reading a longer post, perhaps you feel intimidated by it? Whatever the reason sometimes things need explaining when an opinion is made and people get into a discussion.

I don't set out to write longer posts but I prefer to cover all my points in one post rather than spreading them out over several, again I am not breaking any rules and merely wish to be clear with my views so that others do not misunderstand. I also try to always justify my opinions in some way, something that I know people on here appreciate.

It'd be great if you would enter into the discussion about Gerrard's merits rather than use foul language unless of course you are looking to describe Liverpool's performance in their send off for Steven, at which point I can understand the need for profanity.

Biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard in my life. Usually the kind of opinion borrowed from the drivel spouted on sky. The only nonsense more annoying that uninformed nonsense is revisionist nonsense. Poor last 2 seasons for varying reasons but was clearly our best and most productive player from about Jan 2010 to Jan 2012. In fact' date=' he was the most productive player in the league during that period and up there in Europe let alone United.

[url']http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/May/Nani-is-players-player.aspx[/url]

It appears you don't think much of anyone associated with United starting from the manager right down to the players.

:rolleyes:

If ever a post deserved a rolleyes smiley...

There's never been a more inconsistent player on the planet, don't even try and defend such a hindrance, even when he's in form he's good 'every other game' absolute nonsense, also when have I ever said anything bad about our manager? Have I spoke negatively about a number of our players? No. What an absolute moron.

There's never been a more inconsistent player on the planet' date=' don't even try and defend such a hindrance, even when he's in form he's good 'every other game' absolute nonsense, also when have I ever said anything bad about our manager? Have I spoke negatively about a number of our players? No. What an absolute moron.[/quote']

Yeah, what a hindrance:rolleyes: It's not like he was our player of the year or spearheaded our title challenge...The first statement is quite possibly one of the daftest thing I've ever heard. I can think of literally dozens of a lot more inconsistent players at United. A few in the current team alone!

Our playing staff voted Nani as their player of the year. And given your opinion that anyone who said that was in the "Never take their opinion seriously, category" then I'm sure the logical conclusion is fairly obvious of what you think of our players...

If you had just said he was inconsistent there would be no debate. Many attacking players are. Our record signing is 27 and has had one consistent season and has spent this season playing like Nani on crack. But ridiculous exaggerations like:

There's never been a more inconsistent player on the planet
Nani has always struggled to be our best player for two minutes' date=' never mind two years,.[/quote']

.....doesn't help your case. He wasn't an overly consistent player but he did have a period of consistency where he was the best winger in the league and our best player. Anything else is plain revisionism.

Yeah' date=' what a hindrance:rolleyes: It's not like he was our player of the year or spearheaded our title challenge...The first statement is quite possibly one of the daftest thing I've ever heard. I can think of literally dozens of a lot more inconsistent players at United. A few in the current team alone!

Our playing staff voted Nani as their player of the year. And given your opinion that anyone who said that was in the "Never take their opinion seriously, category" then I'm sure the logical conclusion is fairly obvious of what you think of our players...

If you had just said he was inconsistent there would be no debate. Many attacking players are. Our record signing is 27 and has had one consistent season and has spent this season playing like Nani on crack. But ridiculous exaggerations like:

.....doesn't help your case. He wasn't an overly consistent player but he did have a period of consistency where he was the best winger in the league and our best player. Anything else is plain revisionism.[/quote']

*Insert laughing emoji sixty three times*

Managala really is a walking calamity, his positional awareness is just completely no existent. Had we properly exploited his weaknesses and taken our chances, he'd have cost City a few goals and the game with it today. We took City head on, and if a better team does that against them then they're going to create plenty of chances. Today showed about where we are, a team very much improving but short of the sort of quality that City have in the final third. Still can nevertheless be proud of our players, played some lovely stuff against the second best team in the league and were a pleasure to watch.

Eight is now guaranteed, a shame we couldn't manage to get in the Europa League but our best Premier League finish to date in terms of position and points is a fantastic achievement given the situation we were in when Monk took charge.

My prediction of City finishing 2nd came true. Southampton finishing outside top 7 was another of my prediction which was also almost spot on. Swansea ran them real close. I predicted it when Southampton were like 3rd/4th after 15/16 gameweeks and everybody was jumping and saying they would make it to Europe.

My prediction of City finishing 2nd came true. Southampton finishing outside top 7 was another of my prediction which was also almost spot on. Swansea ran them real close. I predicted it when Southampton were like 3rd/4th after 15/16 gameweeks and everybody was jumping and saying they would make it to Europe.

if we win FA cup they probably will

Bets Placed (AUD)

Sunderland,QPR,Leicester Relegated - 25 @ 4.33

Liverpool top 4 - 10 @ 4.33

Palace top 10 - 15 @ 6.00

put these on late March for some fun after using the predictor

Everton has a tough game vs Spurs. If newcastle can pull something and palace win i still can sneak the last one in and turn the 50 -> 90 dollars. Rooting for Palace this weekend to make my longest shot the saviour. :D