bcfc12345

Official Premier League Discussion Thread

All last season and all summer we have needed a number 10' date=' even Martinez said we need one and we end up with Lennon. Don't know why I get my hopes up regarding Everton transfers.[/quote']

That's being a footy fan for you..

Arsenal look resigned to 3rd/4th again after not strengthening in key areas. Man utds transfer policy looks a shamble, Chelsea are falling apart and the Man City team derided as too old and past it are storming it so far... gotta love the beautiful game! :P

Why is Uniteds transfer policy a shamble?

Name one player United have sold this window that was crucial to the club?

We've improved RB and our biggest weakness for the past 6 years CM.

The only thing we haven't completely solved is ST but there was no one to sign and RVP and Hernandez were not going to win us the PL...

That's being a footy fan for you..

Arsenal look resigned to 3rd/4th again after not strengthening in key areas. Man utds transfer policy looks a shamble' date=' Chelsea are falling apart and the Man City team derided as too old and past it are storming it so far... gotta love the beautiful game! :P[/quote']

The thing with Everton is, since may Martinez said he wanted a number 10, instead we sign Lennon, some Argentinian centre half and some random Uruguayan striker.

Why is Uniteds transfer policy a shamble?

Name one player United have sold this window that was crucial to the club?

We've improved RB and our biggest weakness for the past 6 years CM.

The only thing we haven't completely solved is ST but there was no one to sign and RVP and Hernandez were not going to win us the PL...

I mainly meant the whole De Gea Saga really. Only opening negotiations on the last day and then it not going through because of paper work. Wouldn't surprise me if Madrid did that to get him a freebie though to be honest. That's probably £30 mill down the drain.. The Martial fee looks steep too and if the rumours were true about Reus that's not great business,

I suppose you bought some players at least though. I think Arsenal were the only team in the top 5 leagues not to buy an outfield player this year.

Its probably too easy to say it but it does look like Citys league to lose this year.

I mainly meant the whole De Gea Saga really. Only opening negotiations on the last day and then it not going through for because of paper work. Wouldn't surprise me if Madrid did that to get him a freebie though to be honest. That's probably £30 mill down the drain.. The Martial fee looks steep to and if the rumours were true about Reus that's not great business' date='

I suppose you bought some players at least though. I think Arsenal were the only team in the top 5 leagues not to buy an outfield player this year.

Its probably too easy to say it but it does look like Citys league to lose this year.[/quote']

Ok so RE: De Gea saga what exactly is the club meant to do?

Real Madrid had all summer to wrap up a deal for De Gea by making an offer near to £29m, Manchester United were 100% clear that De Gea would not leave unless Real Madrid met that fee in some form or another. The onus is completely on the buying club to make an offer that the selling club deems acceptable.

1 year left on his contract or not De Gea was United's best player (and arguably still is) and so they would have been mad to accept £15m for him earlier on. Instead the club has shown solidarity and backed up its statements of, if you want De Gea then you have to pay our valuation of him.

The simple fact is that Real Madrid were only willing to pay what United wanted for De Gea on the very last day when Real Madrid made a proper offer. Now it is not down to Manchester United to make this process any easier for them. United could not have gone to Madrid saying when are you bidding on De Gea? That would be ludicrous, you cannot sell your best player early if you aren't getting an offer you deem good enough. Why should United have gone running to Real Madrid asking them to buy their best player?

Manchester United have proof and the backing of the FA (something I never thought I'd see happen) showing they did everything correct and on time in order to complete this transfer after Madrid realised they had to pay up or wait another year. Real Madrid however did not do things on time, they left it late and were still negotiating until 30mins to go.

Real Madrid didn't submit the paperwork on time and the Spanish FA do not grant extensions. It is sheer arrogance from Real Madrid to have left such a high profile signing so late and then to come out and blame Manchester United. Tell me if it was United's fault then why has Real Madrid not appealed given that United can prove they have the documents time stamped correctly; the answer is simple Madrid messed this up and Perez knows that the backlash from fans when they failed an appeal would not be worth the hassle so he tries to do what he does best, get the Madristas on his side and blame everyone else.

Read both statements from both clubs and you will see that actually Manchester United acted completely professionally, the only thing they didn't do was bend over and take one from Perez something I must say I am very proud of them for.

Now I think it is a real shame that De Gea couldn't move (for De Gea) but it is not the fault of United it is Madrid (which is why Madrid are offering him another bonus to sign for free next summer).

Name me one single club that would 'open negotiations' on their best player when they want to keep him? Would City come to Real Madrid and say 'Here have Aguero', would Chelsea go to them and say 'Have Hazard' etc just because there is reported interest? Of course not. The only thing a selling club MUST do is either name a price or tell them where to go. United named the price, Madrid messed around and failed to make the deal in time.

If this was the other way around and United had failed to make the deal (like Coentrao remember?) then I would be saying the exact same thing about United.

The Martial fee is very high but look at the United thread for my views on that; all the clauses for Ballon D'or, Golden Boot etc indicates that both clubs must think highly of him. I think it's a very big risk, but one worth taking considering the player has the attributes we wanted from a striker the only issue is he isn't world class (although no world class striker was available this window). United have identified a good young target with the right profile and a lot of potential. At 19 years old he's 3 years younger than your Kane's and 5 years younger than Lacazette, if you're telling me in 3-5 years he can't be as good if not better than that kind of player then you're being naive. The possibility of a very good CF is there, we need to nurture him into it.

I have only seen rumours of the Reus bid but I don't believe for one second that United would pass up on Marco Reus if he were available. It's just chip paper tabloids looking to get another click out of what has been a largely successful transfer window.

The club has kept it's best player for one more season (meaning they can scout his successor properly), they have added a terrific RB in Darmian, found a good partner for Smalling, shifted tonnes of dead weight, FINALLY sorted out the CM so that it is now one of the best in the league, added a decent back up GK and added two quality young players with pace, and attacking intent.

It hasn't been perfect and I do feel United should not have loaned out Januzaj and I would have liked to have seen another striker or winger arrive just to give us more options in attack but we only play with 1 striker and so 3 player will do us just fine.

GK:De Gea/Romero/Johnstone (Valdes unlisted)

RB: Darmian/Valencia

CB: Smalling/Blind/Jones/McNair

LB: Shaw/Rojo

CM: Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin/Herrera/Pereira

RM: Mata/Lingard

LM: Depay/Young

ST: Rooney/Martial/Wilson

So with that IMO our best XI is...

De Gea

Darmian Smalling ----Blind -- Shaw

Schneiderlin Schweiny/Carrick

Herrera

Mata --------------Depay

Rooney

That to me is good enough to finish in the top 3 and to challenge for a title we need a top class winger/striker (who were not available this window).

Ok so RE: De Gea saga what exactly is the club meant to do?

Real Madrid had all summer to wrap up a deal for De Gea by making an offer near to £29m' date=' Manchester United were 100% clear that De Gea would not leave unless Real Madrid met that fee in some form or another. The onus is completely on the buying club to make an offer that the selling club deems acceptable.

1 year left on his contract or not De Gea was United's best player (and arguably still is) and so they would have been mad to accept £15m for him earlier on. Instead the club has shown solidarity and backed up its statements of, if you want De Gea then you have to pay our valuation of him.

The simple fact is that Real Madrid were only willing to pay what United wanted for De Gea on the very last day when Real Madrid made a proper offer. Now it is not down to Manchester United to make this process any easier for them. United could not have gone to Madrid saying when are you bidding on De Gea? That would be ludicrous, you cannot sell your best player early if you aren't getting an offer you deem good enough. Why should United have gone running to Real Madrid asking them to buy their best player?

Manchester United have proof and the backing of the FA (something I never thought I'd see happen) showing they did everything correct and on time in order to complete this transfer after Madrid realised they had to pay up or wait another year. Real Madrid however did not do things on time, they left it late and were still negotiating until 30mins to go.

Real Madrid didn't submit the paperwork on time and the Spanish FA do not grant extensions. It is sheer arrogance from Real Madrid to have left such a high profile signing so late and then to come out and blame Manchester United. Tell me if it was United's fault then why has Real Madrid not appealed given that United can prove they have the documents time stamped correctly; the answer is simple Madrid messed this up and Perez knows that the backlash from fans when they failed an appeal would not be worth the hassle so he tries to do what he does best, get the Madristas on his side and blame everyone else.

Read both statements from both clubs and you will see that actually Manchester United acted completely professionally, the only thing they didn't do was bend over and take one from Perez something I must say I am very proud of them for.

Now I think it is a real shame that De Gea couldn't move (for De Gea) but it is not the fault of United it is Madrid (which is why Madrid are offering him another bonus to sign for free next summer).

Name me one single club that would 'open negotiations' on their best player when they want to keep him? Would City come to Real Madrid and say 'Here have Aguero', would Chelsea go to them and say 'Have Hazard' etc just because there is reported interest? Of course not. The only thing a selling club MUST do is either name a price or tell them where to go. United named the price, Madrid messed around and failed to make the deal in time.

If this was the other way around and United had failed to make the deal (like Coentrao remember?) then I would be saying the exact same thing about United.

The Martial fee is very high but look at the United thread for my views on that; all the clauses for Ballon D'or, Golden Boot etc indicates that both clubs must think highly of him. I think it's a very big risk, but one worth taking considering the player has the attributes we wanted from a striker the only issue is he isn't world class (although no world class striker was available this window). United have identified a good young target with the right profile and a lot of potential. At 19 years old he's 3 years younger than your Kane's and 5 years younger than Lacazette, if you're telling me in 3-5 years he can't be as good if not better than that kind of player then you're being naive. The possibility of a very good CF is there, we need to nurture him into it.

I have only seen rumours of the Reus bid but I don't believe for one second that United would pass up on Marco Reus if he were available. It's just chip paper tabloids looking to get another click out of what has been a largely successful transfer window.

The club has kept it's best player for one more season (meaning they can scout his successor properly), they have added a terrific RB in Darmian, found a good partner for Smalling, shifted tonnes of dead weight, FINALLY sorted out the CM so that it is now one of the best in the league, added a decent back up GK and added two quality young players with pace, and attacking intent.

It hasn't been perfect and I do feel United should not have loaned out Januzaj and I would have liked to have seen another striker or winger arrive just to give us more options in attack but we only play with 1 striker and so 3 player will do us just fine.

GK[b']:[/b]De Gea/Romero/Johnstone (Valdes unlisted)

RB: Darmian/Valencia

CB: Smalling/Blind/Jones/McNair

LB: Shaw/Rojo

CM: Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin/Herrera/Pereira

RM: Mata/Lingard

LM: Depay/Young

ST: Rooney/Martial/Wilson

So with that IMO our best XI is...

De Gea

Darmian Smalling ----Blind -- Shaw

Schneiderlin Schweiny/Carrick

Herrera

Mata --------------Depay

Rooney

That to me is good enough to finish in the top 3 and to challenge for a title we need a top class winger/striker (who were not available this window).

So is this you saying you don't think Reus is a top class winger/striker?

Saying there were no top players available in the window sounds a bit Arsene Wenger-ish to me - coming from an Arsenal fan! :P

Pedro, Reus (Maybe).. etc I think there are quality players available. I would've had Pedro at Arsenal. :P Maybe Martial will become one. Europe knows the Premiership is rich these days so of course we have to pay more for players or buy them younger and develop them. It seems anyone half known is now an instant £20/30mill... FFP is long gone. I supose im saying UTD could have done a better deal than the potential of Martial. good job on the extras though, they look unlikely to manifest such as balon d'or winner!

I think Real were playing games a bit with Utd only bidding on the last day. Utd were resigned to losing De Gea by not playing him when he said he was fine to play and then accepting a bid on the last day - very shoddy by Real to leave it last minute, if De Gea stayed with Utd and signed a new contract it would serve them right really. Everton's stance with Stones is how you don't sell a player though it wouldn't surprise me if he's sold next year, mind you I was surprised the managed to keep Baines so who knows..

Im rambling now, stupid international breaks always annoy me but looking forward to the next league games..

So is this you saying you don't think Reus is a top class winger/striker?

This is me saying I don't think for one second Dortmund would have sold Reus to United THIS transfer window.

The Januzaj loan has me thinking that may not be the case next summer.

Had Reus been available (which he wasn't) then it would be crazy of United to not pursue him because he is up there with the very best.

Add a Muller/Reus/Bale to that United line up and you have title challengers IMO.

Saying there were no top players available in the window sounds a bit Arsene Wenger-ish to me - coming from an Arsenal fan! :P

Pedro' date=' Reus (Maybe).. etc I think there are quality players available. I would've had Pedro at Arsenal. :P Maybe Martial will become one. Europe knows the Premiership is rich these days so of course we have to pay more for players or buy them younger and develop them. It seems anyone half known is now an instant £20/30mill... FFP is long gone. I supose im saying UTD could have done a better deal than the potential of Martial. good job on the extras though, they look unlikely to manifest such as balon d'or winner!

I think Real were playing games a bit with Utd only bidding on the last day. Utd were resigned to losing De Gea by not playing him when he said he was fine to play and then accepting a bid on the last day - very shoddy by Real to leave it last minute, if De Gea stayed with Utd and signed a new contract it would serve them right really. Everton's stance with Stones is how you don't sell a player though it wouldn't surprise me if he's sold next year, mind you I was surprised the managed to keep Baines so who knows..

Im rambling now, stupid international breaks always annoy me but looking forward to the next league games..

[/quote']

In this window however this is completely true.

If top attackers were available surely a team would have signed them?

The closest we had was Pedro but I don't class him anywhere near the likes of Reus and to be honest I'm not too sad to see us not go for him.

There has not been a single world class winger or striker that has moved clubs this summer to any side let alone Arsenal or United.

Clubs have had to go for younger talents or those who have failed at other clubs De Brunye, Depay, Sterling, Martial etc none of them are world class and none of them have nice low transfer fees (though Depay isn't too bad)

Saying there are no top players only rings true when the window closes and no top player has moved anywhere this summer in this case that is true as I do not believe a world class attacket has moved in this window to any club. Do you?

Number 10s cost money and Everton is better known for bargain-hunting. Lukaku was more the exception rather than the norm.

Could always sell Stones for 50 millies and buy 7 trequartistas from Bulgaria, who knows one might work out :D

I'm right with Newscastle season so far

Leicester, How are they up there, they can't surely keep this up

Man United - At this stage last year United were on 5 points, Defence has been good

People talk about Rooney goal drought, 0 goals for Harry Kane, 0 Hazard

Chelsea - less said the better

I'm right with Newscastle season so far

Leicester' date=' How are they up there, they can't surely keep this up

Man United - At this stage last year United were on 5 points, Defence has been good

People talk about Rooney goal drought, 0 goals for Harry Kane, 0 Hazard

Chelsea - less said the better[/quote']

Rooney has only had more than 1 shot on target something like twice in half a premier league season.. You could argue he's on the wa(y)ne. :P

Bad day for the Manchester teams....

City egging up almost cost me a lot of money.

Had to make 2 separate horrible exits on both occasions after City screwed it up.

Fortunately recouped about 85% of it when neither team scored at the end

Did not think City would be able to concede that badly when I made my commits around minute 65 and then minute 72. Horrid luck arggh