"If you bang loud enough, they'll hear".:| Bressan/Follmann CB/GK 17/18 Juventude |:.

BRESSAN

Juventude

Bressan.jpg

Matheus Simonete Bressanelli

Juventude

Centre Back

January 15th, 1993

17 years old

182 cm

BRE2010

FOLLMANN

Juventude

Follmann.jpg

Jakson Ragnar Follmann

Juventude B

Goalkeeper

March 14th, 1992

18 years old

185 cm

FOL2010

8323831.jpg

As you may have seen in my post earlier this week on ANOTHER Juventude gem (Gustavo), Juventude players are highly sought after in Europe. This is because, for the most part, they arn't seen as high-risk players. Former graduates include Cafu, Doni, Thiago Silva, Naldo and Marcao. This can be attributed to the culture of the team, nestled deep inside the city of Caxias do Sul.

Caxias do Sul is an immigrant town. In fact, over 90% of it's population is white. It has very little social problems compared to the better known cities and is also quite well off. This can be seen in Juventude's tendency to crack out some great managers as well, amongst them Celso Roth, Luis Felipe Scolari, Antonio Carlos Zago and Dorival Junior. Juventude's members are known for having a good head on their shoulders.

These two boys are no exeption. But let's first take a look at what makes them special. Over the past year, Juventude have consistently been the odd ones out of the youth tournaments. Take the Copinha, Brazil's biggest youth tournament. This year's semi-finalists? Palmeiras, Sao Paulo, Santos and... Juventude. The Taca Belo Horizonte, second biggest tournament? Coritiba, Atletico Paranaense, Cruzeiro and... Juventude.

At these competitions, it's definately not flair and style that won them those games. It's defense. At the Copinha, Juventude won their group by allowing only 2 goals in 3 games, then never allowed more then 1 goal in the knockouts to kick out Corinthians, America SP and CFZ (who had a sizzling attack). Follmann actually stopped 2 America penalties and 3 CFZ pens (meaning he stopped 5 and allowed 4) in shootouts.

Follmann was kept out of the Selecao da Copinha by Richard (Sao Paulo) and Rafael (Santos), who both had great tournaments, but not Bressan. In a U20 tournament, he was the only 16 year old named to the team of the Championship.

After the tournament, Bressan, who was born a week AFTER Wellington Silva, was called up to the senior squad. He eventually made his way into the first team, starting the last 4 games of the Campeonato Gaucho. I expect him to play a role in Serie C this year. Serie C doesn't start until July though, meaning he was available for the Taca Belo Horizonte, which is currently going on. He's a smaller defender, but is quick and very safe at the back.

Again, in the Taca BH they suffocated opponnents. Heavily favoured Fluminense went down in the very first game, 2-1. Then, two clean sheets and a 2-2 draw with Cruzeiro (who are heavy hitters as always), they advanced to the quarter finals to play Internacional, in a Gaucho derby. Internacional have a attack-heavy team, with 14 goals in their first 4 games. To add to Juventude's troubles, Bressan was suspended for this game.

Well, Follmann took it into his own hands. Kept the clean sheet, then won it for Juve in the penalty shootout. Follmann's performance was so good that, two days later (yesterday), he was called up to the U20 team for their upcoming training camp to get ready for the 2011 U20 Sudamericano.

Today, they face Coritiba in a semi-final that I am anxiously awaiting. Not only is Bressan back, but Gustavo might also play, just getting back from a tryout at Roma.

Now, these kids, playing at Juventude, have tremendous poise and are taught how to live as well as how to play football. The best example is Bressan, who laughed off a question after the Copinha about TRAFFIC saying, and I'm paraphrasing: "I know I'll get to where I want to be. If I keep playing like this, they'll come. If I forget about what happens off the pitch and keep trusted people near me, there's no need for entrepreneurs."

With this mindset and the skillsets they have, Juvetude players like these two might just be set.

• 1 month later...

Re: "If you bang loud enough, they'll hear".:| Bressan/Follmann CB/GK 17/18 Juventude

Centre Back Bressan scored the winning goal in yesterday's first leg of the Campeonato Gaucho U20. He's still 3 years younger than most in the competition. Juventude have conceded 6 goals in 16 games. Both players have been key, as Follmann was the man who eliminated giants Internacional on pens in the semi-final.

• 2 years later...