Gold Championship 4 Transfers / Match reports Thread

Mark 1978

Re: Gold Championship 4 Transfers / Match reports Thread

Dzeko is set to join Feyenoord if no back stabbing managers PM him.

Albiol' date=' Adebayor AND Sneijder available. please bid[/quote']

You're lucky i'm ok for strikers :P Seriously though that is a hefty price to pay mate :o

Inter have recovered from a poor start to claim two 1-0 wins this week, and face rivals Palermo on Saturday. They are suffering an injury crisis though, with midfielders Zanetti, Stankovic, Vieira & Cambiasso all out for over 2 weeks :o

You're lucky i'm ok for strikers :P Seriously though that is a hefty price to pay mate :o

Inter have recovered from a poor start to claim two 1-0 wins this week' date=' and face rivals Palermo on Saturday. They are suffering an injury crisis though, with midfielders Zanetti, Stankovic, Vieira & Cambiasso all out for over 2 weeks :o[/quote']

Fletcher, who lets be fair isnt the most technically gifted player, not gonna reach more than 91 imo, + some sack of cr@p. lol.

I have two other strikers above 86 :eek: in Adebayor ( WHO IS FOR SALE ) and Cabanas who isnt the youngest is he, i have alot of CM's, and a young starlet in Pjanic.

You still want sneijder pal ?

Raul ALbiol is leaving feyenoord, Jagielka and Manual Ferdnandes will be joining the dutch giants ! got a really good feeling about this season

Fletcher' date=' who lets be fair isnt the most technically gifted player, not gonna reach more than 91 imo, + some sack of cr@p. lol.

I have two other strikers above 86 :eek: in Adebayor ( WHO IS FOR SALE ) and Cabanas who isnt the youngest is he, i have alot of CM's, and a young starlet in Pjanic.

You still want sneijder pal ?

Raul ALbiol is leaving feyenoord, Jagielka and Manual Ferdnandes will be joining the dutch giants ! got a really good feeling about this season[/quote']

Need my injuries to clear up before i do any deal tbh - I am interested but will have to get back to you. Never had so many injuries in one position :(

Need my injuries to clear up before i do any deal tbh - I am interested but will have to get back to you. Never had so many injuries in one position :(

Thats cool pal, Im happy to wait for a bid from you, unless in the mean time i get a amazing bid.

Looking forward to having better squad at my disposal this season, iv always had some gems, but really struggled to get a great squad together. :)

Sorry to double post but Real Madrid have just offered me a interesting offer for two players in Adebayor and Albiol.

Forlan, Salicido, Saviola and Koldin for

Thats a 94, a 91, a 90, and a 88 for a 93+92.

Although im not to sure on it.

Forlan and Saviola for Adebayor.

orther two for Raul Albiol, and i hate cancelling bids , the current offer is jagielka and manual fernandez, which one would you boys do :D

• 2 weeks later...

Inter boss sorry for "silly" mistake

109_1245419601.jpg

Inter boss Jacko was forced to make an unreserved apology to the clubs supporters after a foolish administrative error led to a humiliating 3-0 defeat to rivals Milan which left them languishing in 19th place in Serie A after 5 games.

Having defeated their arch rivals 1-0 in the Champions Cup on Friday, the Inter boss failed to alter his teamsheet for tonights league match. As a result his shattered reserve squad took to the field for the second time in two days and Milan took advantage, scoring twice before the break and once shortly after it to inflict Inters 3rd league defeat of what has so far been a disappointing campaign.

Jacko had this to say after the game "I accept full responsibility for what happenned tonight. I realised my error shortly before kick off at which point there was unfortunately nothing I could do. The players gave their all under difficult circumstances and I thank them for that"

Asked if the blunder could affect his future at the club "If anything this just makes me more determined. We fell short last season and the start of this one has been nothing short of a disaster. I can understands the fans frustrations but i stand by my record here and have every faith we will be successful again"

burdisso.jpg

A tired Nicolas Burdisso gestures to the bench as his team slip to an embaressing defeat

Inter face Rimini in the Italian Shield on Monday before a must win league match with Roma at the San Siro on Wednesday.

Inter suffer their 4th league defeat from 6 games at home against Roma and remain 19th in Serie A, a massive 12 points off the top of the league.

The pressure is starting to mount on boss Jacko, whose team were roundly booed off the pitch after tonights game.

The club now face a run of important games against the lesser likes of Serie A, and the embattled manager needs a result quickly.

l_100.gif

1_1237749663.jpg

The most frustrating team in the WORLD!

Arsenal are not living up to the hype surrounding them. They have such amazing talent at their disposal but cant seem to get the tactics right. Its very frustrating for their manager, Dai Winston, aswel as the fans and board.

Dai has tried so many different things but with no success so he has resorted back to some old trusty tactics this season to see if they will work.

The Gunners have lost some silly games already this season, in the League especially. Always by the one goal, which is very frrustrating. Winston is not happy with the defence and believes it needs strengthening but even with what is there now they are very capeable of doing better. Their attacking options alone are enough to scare ANY defence in the world but while there is that doubt at the back it seems to loom on the attackers minds.

Arsenal sit 5th in the Premiership after seven games, already 7 points behind the leaders Liverpool. The best thing so far this season was a 3-0 victory over rivals, Man Utd.

As mentioned, Winston is seriously looking to improve at the back and may sacrifice the talented depth he has in midfield. Players like Ashley Young, Theo Walcott and Lassana Diarra may be used in deals to tempt other managers to part with their players but nothing is definate yet.

Kun Aguero is the other star being linked with a move away. Its rumoured that Winston would invite any offers that included a decent rated CF and a decent rated defender.

464_1239668184.jpg1933_1228386632.jpg5430_1209755861.jpg3513_1231931674.jpg

(Will these stars be sacfrificed to bring in better defenders?)

l_100.gif

1_1237749663.jpg

Week Review:

29th June: English Shield Round 4

10_front_small.gifBristol City 1 - 3 Arsenal294_front_small.gif

R. DRENTHE (1), (11)

I. CASTRO (58)

S. MURRAY (78)

1st July: League

91_front_small.gifNewcastle 3 - 4 Arsenal245_front_small.gif

S. AGUERO (2)

L. DIARRA (24)

J. ROTHEN (25)

A. MUTU (49)

G. HIGUAIN (57), (77)

A. MUTU (86)

4th July: League

245_front_small.gifArsenal 2 - 2 Middlesbrough168_front_small.gif

A. EMANA (22), (52)

W. GALLAS (60)

G. CLICHY (81)

The Gunners game plan this season, of attacking and not worrying about defending is having mixed results so far. The case of, you score three, we will score four was evident against Newcastle in midweek, but the defenders spoiled the blushes at home to 'Boro last night as Gallas and Clichy were the goal scorers which saved a point. Winston is not sure what he can do to get the team to get some consistent results. Its not panic stations just yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

Grimsby%20Town.gif2-1 4-norwich-city-677.gif

Sergio Fernandez 2'

Michael Mols 60'

Daniel Pancu 89'

Better Late Than Never For The Mariners Faithful!!

Blundell Park was the place to be tonight as Grimsby Town battled to a 2-1 victory over Norwich City. After being promoted last year, the Mariners struggled to meet demands in Division 2 early on in the season. They failed to win any of their first five games, losing three and drawing two. Those results left them in 19th place, but a recent turnaround now sees them up to 13th after 12 games.

Norwich travelled to Cleethorpes tonight hoping to break into the play off places. Those aspirations were quickly dashed within two minutes of the whistle. Spanish veteran defender Sergio Fernandez hit a beauty that beat Gregory Malicki all ends up. The Black & Whites looked in control of the game, and possibly should have been more than 1-0 up at the break. Chances for Daniel Pancu, Jorge Silas and Braulio Luna all went begging, while Czech legend Patrik Berger almost levelled for the Canaries.

Both keepers made routine saves early on in the second half. On 60 minutes, the Mariners fell asleep at a corner, and they paid for it. Striker Michael Mols, formerly of SPL giants Rangers, came short for the set piece, and curled the ball round Bogdan Stelea. The Romanian keeper, astonishingly in his 40s, could only stand and admire the effort. Neither manager felt confident in making a change, though a string of substitutions were still warming up on the sidelines. Portuguese playmaker Jorge Silas, last years Player of the Year for Grimsby, fired over from 18 yards before Braulio Luna hit the side netting 10 minutes after. It didn't seem to be Grimsby's day, but in the dying seconds of the game, new signing Daniel Pancu scored his sixth goal in 7 games, slyly beating the offside trap before slotting past the despairing keeper.

Despite not getting on the scoresheet, Swiss striker Blaise Nkufo was given the Man of the Match award, and Harvey was full of praise for his strike force. He said "The two of them have been working hard in training together and they have quickly learnt eachother's styles. I think this is starting to be seen on the pitch, which is where it matters."

Man of the Match

11949.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

?type=display

Grimsby%20Town.gif2-1 Port%20Vale.gif

Pancu 20'

Nkufo 49'

George 66'

Grimsby Town fans went home happy last night after seeing their side extend their unbeaten run to 11 games. The run has seen 6 wins and 5 draws, and has taken the Mariners up to 8th in the league, just 4 points behind top place. The Cleethorpes-based club haven't been in the top flight of English football since 1948, so the long wait of 61 years could possibly be coming to an end if Town can maintain their current form.

The match began quite slowly and neither team created too many chances. Rafael Medina went close for the home side before Arnaldo Edinho and Junmin Hao had chances for Port Vale. It was eventually Romanian striker Daniel Pancu who opened the scoring after 20 minutes. An error in Vale's defence allowed Pancu in on goal, and he coolly rounded Helge Payer to leave himself with the easiest of chances. The two teams, who both gained promotion from Division 3 last year, were cancelling eachother out in the middle of the park and couldn't seem to find an opening. After 45 minutes, the teams went in with the Mariners 1-0 up. Just two minutes into the second half, Leroy George had a glorious chance for Port Vale, but fired over from just six yards. That missed chance was a wake up call to Grimsby, and they quickly grabbed their second to double their lead. Swiss striker Blaise Nkufo volleyed home to take his season tally to 7 goals for the season, level with strike partner Daniel Pancu. Leroy George pulled a goal back for Port Vale on 66 minutes, but Grimsby held on comfortably to record their 4th straight victory.

Line Ups

Stelea

Alexandersson --- Gomez ---- Fernandez ---- Schuler

Medina ---- Oluwafemi ---- Richardson ---- Luna

Pancu ---- Nkufo

Edinho ---- George

Bogliacino ---- Cordoba ---- Marquinhos ---- Hao

Mcgregor ---- Cuadrado ---- Maimon ---- Sinev

Payer

• 2 weeks later...

coca-cola-championship.png

Harvey Prepares For 50th Game In Charge Of The Mariners!

Grimsby%20Town.gifMarinersshirt.gifvs crystalpalace.gifCrystal-Palace-Badge_small_633643413613593750.jpg

Tonight, Jack Harvey will take charge of his 50th game for the Mariners as they host Crystal Palace at Blundell Park. Grimsby's second longest manager has already taken them up from Division 3 to Division 2, and as things stand they could well be in with a shout of a dream promotion to the Premier League. Tonight's opponents, Crystal Palace, are one place above Grimsby on goal difference alone, and a win tonight for the home side could see them go as high as 1st depending on other results. Grimsby have lost just one in fourteen games, the loss coming away at Fulham a week ago. After Saturday's 4-0 demolition of Nottingham Forest, confidence is high in the Grimsby camp and Harvey's side fear nobody in their current form. Crystal Palace hosted the Mariners earlier on in the season and won 1-0, but Harvey says his men are now a much better team and have got used to life in the Coca Cola Championship. When asked if he thought Grimsby had a realistic chance of promotion, Harvey said "I don't see why not. If we keep playing like we have been doing then we have a good chance. We're under no illusions and we know how difficult this league is to get out of, never mind how difficult the premier league would be."

Grimsby's first promotion came five seasons ago under Nathaniel Wimbledon, when they won Division 4. Grimsby then had trouble escaping from the third tier of English football, and neither Wimbledon nor Oliver Snell could manage it. Harvey came in early in the season, and took the Mariners from mid-table mediocrity to 2nd place, a position they achieved by the skin of their teeth on the last game of the season, thanks to two of their other rivals slipping up. Grimsby never looked back from there and have come on leaps and bounds, adding some youth to the squad as well as valuable experience. UP THE MARINERS!

GrimsbyTownMainArticle.jpg

Marinersshirt.gif4-1 crystalpalace.gif

Harvey's Half-Centenary Match Lifts Town To Top Of League

Before yesterday's match against Crystal Palace, Grimsby Town laid in 6th place in Division 2. After a good performance and a 4-1 victory, the Mariners have jumped a huge five place to 1st. Ipswich, Burnley, Fulham and Portsmouth all lost, allowing Grimsby to lead the way in Division 2, though there are only five points between 1st and 10th. Daniel Pancu grabbed his second hat trick of the season, and his strike partner Blaise Nkufo got the other to make a comfortable win for the home side.

Grimsby were off to a flyer and opened the scoring within just seven minutes. Daniel Pancu received the ball on the left, skipped inside and curled a beauty past the unsighted keeper. A sense of deja vu about his second, when another 25 yard effort from Pancu, though from a slightly more central position, was bent past Palace keeper Nicola Santoni. Crystal Palace were back in the game on 70 minutes, when Markus Weissenberger finished cleverly from 10 yards. The two goal lead was restored just four minutes later, thanks to a poke from Blaise Nkufo, who was just two yards out. Pancu completed his hat trick on 84 minutes with a superb volley. Three spectacular goals from the Romanian, who was already becoming a hit with the fans, the Pontoon Stand especially. The match was Harvey's 50th in charge of the Mariners, and he spoke to www.gtfc.co.uk after the match, on what was his finest moment:

"It was without a doubt, the win against Huddersfield that took us up last year." He continued, "We looked dead and buried as far as automatic promotion was concerned, and we knew that only a win could get us promoted, and we needed Wigan to lose a match that they were expected to win comfortably. I think it was Port Vale who beat them 1-0 at the JJB, and by that time we were already three goals up. When the fans flooded onto the pitch, that's when I knew the result was in. It was just a great night, and without Wigan's defeat we could have still been in Division 3 this year, instead of fighting for another promotion into the big time."

• 4 weeks later...

Marinersshirt.gifGrimsby%20Town.gifgtfc.gif

Grimsby Town Update

Since the last report of a 4-1 win against Crystal Palace, Grimsby Town have embarked on a fantastic run of six straight wins in Division 2, keeping them top of the league. In those six games, the Mariners have scored 18 goals and conceded just five.

Untitled-2-1.jpg

The league table with 9 games remaining looks like this:

Leaguueeeeeee-1.jpg

Grimsby Town 1-0 Portsmouth

Grimsby were given a tough test by former Premier League side Portsmouth at Blundell Park. The top 2 battled it out and a solitary strike from Braulio Luna was the only thing that could settle the sides. The Mexican veteran lobbed Pompey's Roberto Marcos in the 30th minute to give the home team all three points.

Burnley 1-3 Grimsby Town

A comfortable win for Grimsby in the end, though they did have to come from behind at Turf Moor. Leite Adriano put Burnley ahead inside ten minutes with a powerful effort. A brace from Daniel Pancu and a rare goal from Sergio Fernandez ensured victory for Grimsby who stretched their lead to 2 points.

Grimsby Town 4-2 Preston North End

Preston North End travelled to Cleethorpes hoping to cause an upset but were left disappointed. Braulio Luna opened the scoring for Grimsby on 12 minutes, though Preston got a quick equaliser through Roberto Battion. Daniel Pancu restored the home side's lead before Luna got his second and Grimsby's third to make it 3-1. Preston pulled one back just before half time but a goal from on-loan Kieran Richardson in the second half ensured three points for the Mariners.

Plymouth Argyle 0-4 Grimsby Town

These two were promoted together from Division 3 last season, and although Plymouth were the winners of Division 3 that year it was Grimsby who stole the show. Rafael Medina (2), Braulio Luna and Jorge Silas got the goals in a comfortable win at Home Park, but Portsmouth's winning streak meant that Grimsby couldn't extend the lead at the top - it stayed at 2 points.

Grimsby Town 3-1 West Bromwich Albion

A West Brom side that included names such as James Beattie, Martin Palermo and Miralem Pjanic left Blundell Park with nothing as they became the fifth consecutive team to lose against Grimsby. Town's midfield was in great scoring form, and Kieran Richardson, Rafael Medina and Braulio Luna again were on the scoresheet. Albion's goal came through Habib Bamogo but the Midlands club were unable to add more to that tally.

Stoke City 1-3 Grimsby Town

Another former Premier League team were defeated by the in-form Mariners, this time Stoke were on the receiving end of a good performance. Tokic, Nkufo and Pancu grabbed the goals in a game they dominated with 60% possession and 23 shots on goal. Up next for Grimsby Town is a home game against Reading before a trip to Carrow Road to face Norwich. Both Reading and Norwich currently lie in the play-off places. With just nine games remaining, can Grimsby really secure two successive promotions and into the promise land of the Premier League?

• 2 weeks later...

All good when you don't have myself and Steve to compete with eh? Same as GC9. Your walking it since I left.

yup certainly is alot easier, but there was a season when i was really inactive, but the other seasons, fair plays to ya's, was a lot harder.

I do have the best team in that league by a country mile though now, really come on a few strides recently, even with selling ALbiol and Silva on the cheap ! ( good for a feyenoord but seen better in GC's lol )

• 3 weeks later...

I don't expect people to read all of this - it started as just a small post but then I turned it into a bigger one. If you do read it, hope you enjoy it. It's about taking Grimsby from Division 3 to Division 1. Here goes...

grimsby_town_badge.gifGrimsby Town - The Harvey Days grimsby_town_badge.gif

Since taking over on the 26th February, 2009, manager Jack Harvey took Grimsby Town from mid-table mediocrity to a strong title challenge in his first season in Division 3. Grimsby had previously enjoyed much success under Nathaniel Wimbledon, who managed 95 games for the club, and lifted the Division 4 title in his second season. Oliver Snell then took over the Mariners for a disappointing 7 games, where they only managed 8 points, and Snell left them in 13th position in Division 3. Untried Jack Harvey was then given the job by chairman John Fenty. When Harvey first arrived at Blundell Park, he wasn’t afraid to remove the dead wood and bring in talent of his own. He let players such as Danny North, Andy Taylor and Paul Bolland leave on free transfers, and scouted for possible bargains. On his first day in charge he brought in Jorge Silas, the Portuguese play maker who attracted interest from bigger clubs than the Mariners. He also brought in veteran Swiss international striker Blaise Nkufo for £4.2m, who vastly became a fan favourite at Blundell Park. Other players came in, such as Sergio Fernandez and Radu Rebeja, and Harvey secured some lucrative loan signings to help get them out of Division 3. Adrian Aldrete, a Mexican left-back joined on loan from Portuguese giants Benfica, and Spartak Moscow manager Andrew Stelly allowed Evaeverson Brandao to move to the seaside town on a short-term basis. Brandao partnered Nkufo up front and the two formed a formidable strike force, scoring 8 goals between them in their first 6 games together. Harvey had knocked up an impressive 56 points from a possible 72 in his first 24 games. The Mariners also embarked on a 13 match unbeaten run from the 14th March to the 25th April 2009. During this time, Grimsby won twelve and drew just one away at Sheffield United. They were then brought back down to earth with a thumping 4-1 defeat at the hands of fellow promotion-hunters Plymouth Argyle. This was only his second league defeat since taking over and third in all competitions, with the latter coming at the hands of Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in the F.A Cup. With 4 games left, Grimsby were guaranteed a play-off place, but Harvey knew that automatic promotion was the true aim for him and the Grimsby faithful. They hosted Luton Town at Blundell Park on Wednesday 20th May, who themselves were on a 10 match unbeaten run. The Mariners were also looking out for results at the JJB Stadium where Wigan were hosting Colchester United. Plymouth were playing at home against Tranmere Rovers and Brentford had a relatively easy game at Griffin Park against Cheltenham, who occupied last place in the league and had only won 2 of their previous 17 games. The Mariners went on to win 1-0 and stayed within touching distance of the top 2, Plymouth and Wigan.

Division3Tablewiththreegamesleft-1.jpg

Above: How Division 3 looked with three games left.

Next up was a seemingly tricky home game against Millwall, where a solitary goal from Gregory Thil was enough for the win. On the penultimate day of the season, Grimsby were 5 points behind leaders Wigan, and they travelled to the Keepmoat Stadium to play an unmanaged Doncaster Rovers. Everyone at the club knew that this was a must-win if they were to stand any chance of automatic promotion. They enjoyed a magnificent start, with centre half Cristian Gomez hammering into the roof of the net after a parried shot from Blaise Nkufo as early as the second minute. Doncaster were on the back foot for much of the first half, and went in at the interval deservedly a goal down. Harvey was buoyed at half time by news that Wigan were losing, however Brentford and Plymouth were both winning comfortably. Doncaster came out fighting in the second half and found themselves a way back into the game In the 69th minute. Regis Dorn got on the end of a Brian Stock cross and powered the ball into the far corner. Meanwhile Wigan Atheltic were still a goal down at Prenton Park thanks to goals from Lutula and Zimmerman. Time was running out at the Keepmoat Stadium, when with only two minutes to play, Gomez finished neatly inside the box for his second of the game, and his eighth of the season - a great contribution from the Chilean. The Mariners hung on for the final two minutes and climbed up to 3rd in the league table, with Brentford throwing away their goal lead. Grimsby lay in 3rd place, 2 points behind Wigan in 2nd place, and 3 points behind top dogs Plymouth. Unfortunately, they had an inferior goal difference and knew that they had to win their final game against relegation-battling Huddersfield, who themselves needed at least a draw to have any chance of staying in the league. Wigan were playing 6th placed Port Vale at home and Grimsby were desperate for a Port Vale win.

Division3Tablewithonegameleft-1.jpg

Above: Division 3 with one game to go.

Fans paved the streets surrounding Blundell Park throughout the afternoon of the match, albeit with some of them following Yorkshire outfit Huddersfield. Huddersfield manager, Joel Ibbitson, knew that his side needed to sneak a win away from home and hope that Yorkshire rivals Doncaster would slip up away at Blackpool. Meanwhile, Grimsby needed the points just as badly as Huddersfield, knowing that a slip up from Wigan would see them push into the top two, thus gaining automatic promotion into Division 2. The contest was evenly matched in the opening half hour, with both teams squandering half chances but neither able to break the deadlock. At the JJB Stadium, however, Carlos David Ruiz had put Port Vale in front - the score that sent the Grimsby faithful into a frenzy. There wasn’t any signs of a goal coming at Blundell Park, up until the 35th minute when Italian veteran Braulio Luna opened the scoring with an absolute screamer from 25 yards out. After 45 minutes, Harvey knew that if things stayed as they were then there would be dramatic celebrations for everyone at the club. The players came out for the second half to a rousing cheer from the crowd. Those cheers then changed into roars on the 60th minute, when on loan striker Evaeverson Brandao ran through on goal and slotted home neatly to give Harvey’s men a two goal cushion, while there was no change at the JJB. The Black & Whites then quickly added a third on the 64th minute, and Luna this time had an eternity to stick the ball into the unguarded net. 3-0 it stayed in seaside resort Cleethorpes, but it was all eyes on Wigan for the Mariners. After an exhausting wait, confirmation of Wigan’s defeat flooded through to Blundell Park, and the fans, players and coaching staff could all celebrate their success. After being appointed on the 26th February, Harvey had gained 61 points from a possible 78, a thought that was inconceivable to the Mariners fans at the beginning of the season. In his post match interview, Harvey was full of praise for his players and the fans. “We couldn’t have done it without the fans today. They really drove us on as they have done all season. The players have worked their socks off this season, and they can go away and have a good break before coming back for pre-season.” When asked about possible ins and outs in the transfer market, he revealed “I will sit down with the chairman in the coming days and discuss players I want and don’t want. We have a strong but aging squad and I will be looking at youth wherever possible, but I will have to know how much is available before I can fully plan for the season ahead.” Not only had Harvey’s men become one division away from the Premier League, but they were also re-instated as the pride of Lincolnshire once again, as local rivals Hull City were relegated from Division 2.

LeagueTableDivision3EndofSeason-1.jpg

Above: The Final League Standings

After a 4 year stay in Division 3, Grimsby Town had finally made it into Division 2, touted as one of the toughest leagues in the world, and one league away from the promise land - the Barclays Premier League. As proud as Harvey was of the team, he knew he would have to make a few changes. The wage bill needed decreasing but the quality of players needed to be higher. Harvey began by sending Evaeverson Brandao back to his parent club Spartak Moscow. Marcel Seip was also allowed to leave the club for a profit-making £3.2M to Turkish outfit Istanbul BB. He also used Scott Drouin and Scotsman Willie Gibson to bring Greek defender Panagiotis Kordonouris, and brought in Marcelo Quinteros from a free agent. Kieran Richardson and Ajilore Oluwafemi came in on loan, as well as permanent signing Rafael Medina.

The Mariners’ first game of the season was at home to Fulham, recently relegated from the Premier League and runners up in the FA Cup the previous season. This was certainly going to be a tough game. In the build up to the match, at around 2.15pm, manager Micah Derbyshire left the club and joined Brazilian outfit Santos. Grimsby were hoping that this would prove to be vital in terms of the preparation for both teams. Harvey dropped his trusty 4-4-2 system and adopted a slightly more defensive approach in the form of 4-4-1-1, with Marquitos playing just behind Blaise Nkufo. Last year’s player of the season Jorge Silas could only earn a place on the bench, with Harvey said to be “not prepared” to risk him after his recent injury worries. This accounted for the partnership of Nigerian Ajilore Oluwafemi and Kieran Richardson in the middle of the park, with veteran Braulio Luna on the left hand side and Rafael Medina occupying the right. Alexanderson, usually employed in that right wing role was now asked to fill in at right back, Fernandez and Gomez continued their partnership at the hart of the defence and Markus Schuler slotted in at left back. Approaching his 42nd birthday, Bogdan Stelea kept his place in goal, after proving his fitness to manager Harvey.

The Mariners were comfortably beaten at Blundell Park, thanks to a Clint Dempsey double and Aparecido Edmar’s second half strike. Grimsby then went on to draw 1-1 away at Nottingham Forest before losing 1-0 to Crystal Palace just 3 days later. Previously Premier League team Portsmouth visited Blundell Park in the first round of the FA Cup, and went two nil up inside half an hour. A goal from Gregory Thil wasn’t enough to see Town into the next round. A poor start to the season was prolonged further when they drew at home to Derby before losing at home to Portsmouth, this time in the league. Six games without a win was not what the fans wanted, nor the manager, and Grimsby laid 19th in the league table. Their luck suddenly changed in their next home fixture against Burnley. Daniel Pancu debuted and scored a tremendous hat trick to help the Mariners to a 5-3 win.

Grimsby-BurnleyMatchReport-1.jpg

Above: The Mariners first win of their season in Division 2.

3 goals in 7 minutes at Blundell Park saw Burnley taking an early 2-1 lead. Pancu grabbed his second of the game just before the break to make it 2-2 heading into the break. Pancu then clinched the hat-trick early in the second half. Bazalar then equalised for Burnley, giving both sides three goals apiece. Despite Pancu’s brilliance, it was two heroes from last year who made the difference at the end. Jorge Silas and Blaise Nkufo goals gave Town a 5-3 win, their first of the season.

Grimsby then travelled to Deepdale to play high-flying Preston. The teams went in to the interval at 1-1, thanks to goals from Blaise Nkufo and Oliver Schroder. Another Nkufo goal and Rafael Magnum doubled both teams tally, but it was eventually Cristian Gomez who grabbed Town’s third and the final goal of the game, to give Grimsby two wins from two. Grimsby then became the draw specialists of the league:

SchedulebeginningwithForestanden-1.jpg

Above: Signs of Improvement for Town.

It was then after the Ipswich game that the Mariners really picked up pace. Grimsby beat Watford 2-1 at home before taking all three points from Valley Parade, defeating Bradford 1-0. A 4-0 win over Swansea followed and that win took Grimsby into the play off places, at the midway point of the table. On the 12th August they faced off against former Premier League outfit Fulham at Craven Cottage, knowing that a win could see them go into 2nd place. Despite having more possession than the West Londoners, Grimsby lost the game 1-0 thanks to a goal from Aparecido Edmar. The defeat put them back down to 9th, though the top of the table was really tight. It was Nottingham Forest who faced the wrath of Grimsby in their next league game. Grimsby raced to a 4-0 half time lead against Forest and the score stayed the same. In their next 7 games, the Mariners won six and lost one, the latter being a 1-0 defeat to Derby County. They scored 18 goals in their seven games and conceded just 6. With eleven games left in Division 2, this was how the league table looked.

LeagueTableWith27gamesgone-1.jpg

Above: 11 games from the Promise land.

It really was squeaky bum time for the Mariners, but they dealt with the pressure. They went on to beat title rivals Burnley 3-1 at Turf Moor before winning six in a row, coming against Preston, Plymouth, West Brom, Stoke, Reading and Norwich. Despite this fantastic run, it was also matched by Portsmouth, so the lead stayed at just four points. Up next for Grimsby was a home game against Birmingham. They dominated the game but somehow managed to lose 3-1, and Portsmouth’s win meant that the gap was reduced to a solitary point. They quickly put that defeat behind them with an 8-2 thrashing at Leicester, and the gap was again up to 4 points thanks to Portsmouth’s defeat. On the 26th September, they succumbed to a shock 3-0 defeat to Ipswich at Blundell Park and their lead was yet again cut to one point. Watford and Bradford were Town’s next opponents and they edged past both teams, winning 1-0. With just two games left, the league table looked like this:

LatestLeagueTable-1.jpg

Above: 2 games left, could the Mariners prove their doubters wrong?

Swansea City were the team that stood between Grimsby and promotion. The Black and Whites knew if they could pick up three points at the Liberty Stadium they would be a Premiership team, regardless of other results. A defeat however could make them slip down to 2nd place, and would then need a result away at Port Vale. Harvey stuck with the same team that had beaten Bradford, which meant there was still no place in the XI for last year's player of the season Jorge Silas. Bogdan Stelea continued in goal after recently announcing his retirement at the end of the campaign. The Welsh outfit were sitting in 12th place in the league after winning their last two games.

2nd place Portsmouth were travelling to 4th place Birmingham, and Grimsby's other challengers Burnley (3rd) were away at 5th place Norwich. The Mariners got off to the worst possible start when after just 7 minutes, Luis Ricardinho volleyed past Stelea and into the corner. There was also an eventful start at St. Andrews where Portsmouth were playing Birmingham. The home side scored within 4 minutes but were pegged back just 60 seconds later. Burnley were also a goal down early on against Norwich at Carrow Road. Simone Inzaghi then doubled Swansea's lead at the Liberty Stadium - Grimsby fans' hopes of celebrating promotion weren't looking too realistic. At half time across all games in Division 2, Grimsby were 2-0 down at Swansea, Portsmouth were level pegging with Birmingham and Burnley were also drawing 1-1 at Carrow Road.

With Grimsby playing quite poorly, their chances of promotion were perhaps more reliant on their rivals losing. Just one minute into the second period and Burnley were doing just that - Jairo Patino on target for Norwich. Grimsby pressed for a goal but their fans were too busy checking on other results to notice. Just before the hour mark, Birmingham's Sylvain Wiltord put his side ahead against Portsmouth. The Mariners' fans were jubilant and their cheers let the manager and players know what was going on. The final whistle blew at the Liberty Stadium, Grimsby had lost convincingly to mid-table Swansea, but when news came flooding in of final results they were buoyant. Going into the final game of the season, they were now 4 points clear of 3rd place Burnley and could celebrate promotion into the big time.

Burnleygame-1.jpg

Pompeygame-1.jpg

Confirmation of Burnley and Portsmouth's defeats.

"I can't put it into words what an achievement this is for this club. Two successive promotions doesn't happen very often so we just have to enjoy this moment. Of course we want to go on and win the league so we can't celebrate for too long, maybe if we win at Port Vale on Wednesday then I'll let the players go out and enjoy it. We now have to bring in some new players which will be tough in our financial situation, but we'll do our best and just enjoy a season in the Premier League, even if we get battered every game"

• 1 month later...

Mariners Record Famous Win Over Toffees!

Grimsby%20Town.gifMarinersshirt.gif7-0 stevenage.gifEverton.gif

Grimsby Town have been exceeding their managers' expectations since joining England's elite in Division 1. From their five league games so far, the Mariners have taken 10 points - Bolton being the only side to defeat them. After beating Sunderland and Portsmouth, and drawing with Manchester City, Grimsby hosted Everton at Blundell Park on Saturday night knowing a win, although against the odds, would take them above the blue half of Merseyside.

The home side got off to a flyer and opened the scoring within seconds of the whistle. Fans barely had chance to get their pre-match pies before Roy Makaay ran through on goal, rounded Tim Howard and slotted into an empty net. Everton came back and could have had a quick equaliser had Joleon Lescott kept his cool in front of goal. They were made to rue that missed chance on 23 minutes when Blaise Nkufo's mis-hit effort squirmed under Howard's body and rolled past the line. With time running out in the first half the Mariners added a third through Nkufo again as he followed up a parried shot from Diego Perotti.

On-loan defender Andres Scotti grabbed his first for his new club on 58 minutes with a real poacher's effort to all but seal the three points. Grimsby looked content to keep the score as it was and with ten minutes left, it remained 4-0. With eight minutes left Braulio Luna headed his first of the season to add insult to serious injury for Everton, and late goals from Roy Makaay and Jorge Silas completed an emphatic win for the hosts.

Transfer News

807729_mediumsquare.jpg514023_mediumsquare.jpgandresscotti.jpg

Diego Perotti, Roy Makaay & Andres Scotti all joined Grimsby on season-long loans at the start of the season.

marchionni.jpg

Marco Marchionni signed from Sochaux just days ago and is expected to make his debut on Wednesday night when the Mariners travel to the Riverside Stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

Grimsby Gain Credible Draw At Stamford Bridge!

chelseafc_99092.jpgstevenage.gif3-3 Marinersshirt.gifGrimsby%20Town.gif

Maroh 31'

Senna 39'

C. Adriano 49'

Simsek 55'

Arshavin 74'

Barusso 84'

The Grimsby fans who made the long trip to Stamford Bridge last night were rewarded with a good performance from their players as they held Chelsea to a 3-3 draw. The Mariners took a surprising lead at the Bridge but were then pegged back before the break. Chelsea twice took the lead in the second half but a battling Grimsby earned a point with a late equaliser from Ahmed Barusso. The point for Grimsby is one of the most famous in their history but it does however see them slip 6th in the league with 8 games played, while Chelsea slip to 4th place.

Chelsea were massive favourites for this game but you wouldn't have thought that watching the opening exchanges. Marco Marchionni almost had the Mariners infront inside 2 minutes but his shot hit the side netting. Chelsea's first opportunity fell to Salomon Kalou who did brilliantly up until the finish. Panagiotis Kordonouris then had a wonderful chance, and although his strike had Cech beaten it couldn't find the bottom corner. It was a fast tempo at the Bridge and Chelsea were beginning to get on top. First, a dangerous cross from Dani Alves whizzed past everyone in a blue shirt before Grimsby keeper Brad Jones was forced into an excellent save to keep out Senna's curling effort. On loan midfielder Diego Perotti was giving Johnny Heitinga a nightmare down the left wing and the young Argentine almost had his side ahead on 27 minutes, his drive whistled just past the post. The deadlock was eventually broken on 31 minutes through an unlikely source. New signing Dominic Maroh, making just his 6th appearance for Grimsby, dribbled through the Chelsea defence as if they weren't there and the Slovenian had the finish to match. Grimsby's opener seemed to wake up the home side who quickly got level before the half time whistle. Brad Jones did well to save Andrey Arshavin's long range effort but Jones' parry fell straight into the path of Marcos Senna who rolled the ball into the unguarded net. Referee Craig Naylor blew the half time whistle with the travelling fans very happy at what they had seen.

Whatever was said in the Chelsea dressing room at half time seemed to have a big effect on the Blues' stars, who took an almost immediate lead in the second half. Correia Adriano cut inside from the left and with his right foot glided a wonderful effort past the outstretched arm of Jones and into the top corner. To their credit the Mariners did fight back and weren't afraid to push forward in numbers. When the equaliser did come for the away team, they had Petr Cech to thank, not good attacking play. Roy Makaay's tame effort was somehow spilled by the Czech goalkeeper and Yusuf Simsek duly obliged to level the scores once more. Many expected Chelsea to be the team pushing for a third but it wasn't the case. Roy Makaay ran through one on one with Cech but the Dutchman's shot only found the outside of the post. Minutes later and Dominic Maroh had a chance to double his tally, though his free header went straight into the arms of the grateful Cech. Diego Perotti once again saw his low drive fly wide of the mark before Marco Marchionni missed the pick of the bunch - an open goal from two yards out! On 74 minutes, a deflected goal from Andrey Arshavin underlined to Grimsby the importance of taking their chances. Chelsea had hardly had a sniff in the second half but when Arshavin's effort struck Andres Scotti, Brad Jones was left with no chance. Ahmed Barruso then grabbed a late equaliser for Town as he seized on an error from Martin Demichelis to run through on goal. Cech came out to narrow the angle but the Ghanaian midfielder slotted comfortably into the bottom corner to send the Grimsby fans home happy.

It was a great point for us. If you told me we'd be in 6th place after 8 games in this division I wouldnt have believed you. Despite this start to the season, our aim is still the same - to avoid relegation. We have the likes of Newcastle, Arsenal & Manchester United coming up so we need to keep going and pick up as many points as possible.

• 3 months later...

Newcastle Prepared to sell Messi!

Lionel%20Messi.jpg

It has been announced today that new Newcastle boss Tom Field has said that he is willing to listen to offers for 22 year old FIFA World player of the year.

Although Tom said that hoped he didnt have to sell Messi, he needs to, in order to boost his squad depth in all areas.

Offer: P/E -> 92 rated Fwd, 90+ Rated CM + cash.

• 1 month later...
Guest MR. HAMMER

110_1252309175.jpg

Alberto%20Zaccheroni2.jpg

Today Juventus manager Alberto Zaccheroni has steped aside to let young British manager Mattuie Beckett take over the 17 year old has signed a deal to the end of the season and he has told press he is hoing he can regain some dignity with this team.

Juventus are siting 13th only 4 points from a Relagation Battle and the manager has told press he is aiming for a top 10 finish this season he has told press he is aiming for a new Goal Keeper and also is aiming to bring in much needed youths to make this team one that could go forword in years to come.

The manager has been given £105,000,000 to spend and he has told press he 1st needs a Keeper then he needs to sign a Center Back and a new Left Midfilder he has told press it will be hard to bild a team together but we will aim to make this a well none team again and one day may win the Italy Div 1 tittle again but for now we will look to bild on what was lost from previos managers.

• 2 months later...

Im looking to add a bit more quality to feyenoord, in many positions im happy, but Anderlecht last few seasons have just been phenomonal so i want to score more,

Im looking to offer Cabanas (90) + De Guzman (88) + someone else for a 90+ striker. Let me know.

On top of the above two, id offer Illunga (87) and Souza (86 - 22 year old DM)

4 players for one ! NOW LET ME BUY A NEW STRIKER

Better late then never; Hi Stuart Hammond here the recently appointed Plymouth Argle (& Mali) Manager just here to say hi :) and good luck to my competitor for tonight, ...especially as tonight is the first time i've changed PA tactics, still 3 wins out of 5 ain't bad :D

Gonna be looking to improve my squad soon so i'm open to offers.