Jabulani Ball or Awful Goalkeeping?

Stuart H

Guest Ciaranmc2k10

Re: Jabulani Ball or Awful Goalkeeping?

It's got to be the ball I've never seen Rob Green do that in his career and when the Algerians were playing Ireland the keeper didnt make mistakes like that and Enyeama is a good goaly and those not make many mistakes like that

For me,Rob Green made a bad mistake, his body position was not parallel to the ball, it was slightly turned to his right. He had time to get his whole body behind the ball before it arrived,but he chose not to do so.

The fact that the balls are much lighter seems to make them bounce away from people a little more when they try to stop them,either in goal or when trapping in outfield, also they are much harder to place if kicked hard.

Undoubtedly though,the free kicks taken in this competition so far have been a disaster.Every one seems to go 10 feet above the bar. Also long shots are way off target too in most games.

I think the balls might have some effect, but mostly they're being used as a scapegoat. Chaouachi (or however it's spelt) and Green's fault can't be blamed on the ball at all, both were bad positioning and technique. Green has made a lot of mistakes in the past, mostly little things though. I do recall him gifting a few goals against West Ham this season too. But none as bad as this, which I feel is mostly down to confidence than anything else.

I reckon it is a bit of both too. There was a short bit about the ball after one game and they said when the ball is kicked it generally swerves right, but after a while professionals should be able to adapt to ball movement, so I believe that both are too blame.

There's yet to be a goal where you can say "yep, that's down to the ball" or "the keeper would have saved that if it was a different ball."

As for people saying that it must be the balls fault because they haven't seen the goalie in question make that kind of error, rubbish. Even the best goalie in the world will make a shocking mistake from time to time, and with the added pressure of the World Cup, anything is possible.

As said previously goalkeepers do make errors, some of them shocking from time to time. However the Jabulani ball basically is a glorified;

supertele.JPG

But at the end of the day there all using it so no need to complain, obiviously the better players/goalkeepers will adjust to it quicker or just do what the clever Germans done and use it as the official domestic ball 6 months beforehand.

I don't think the Jabulani is fully to blame. Definitely for Green's mistake it was bad technique. Enyeama seemed to have problem cathcing it on the bounce which could be down to it being lighter therefore bouncing more than he anticipated. But as KNVB has said, the better players will adjust to it quickly.

I think the ball definitely has played it's part but the keepers have to take some responsibility. For instance green just got in a horrible position and the north Korean goalkeeper was too far off his near post.

So while I think the ball is a nightmare for the keepers I don't beleive it is as bad as some people say and tbh I think it has been blown out of proportion.

I think the problem with the ball, if there is one, is that it's too light. The problems goalkeepers have had is because they've misjudged it so it's down to the individual in each case. That would also explain the poor free kicks, as they are hitting them like they'd hit a heavier ball but as this one is lighter, it gors a lot higher.

That would also explain the poor free kicks' date=' as they are hitting them like they'd hit a heavier ball but as this one is lighter, it gors a lot higher.[/quote']

The same has been happening with corners also. I haven't seen all the games but I am really struglling to remember a goal from a dead ball situation.

I think its got to the point now where footballers are just a bunch of spoilt sissys always looking for excuses....if it isn't the ball its a lumpy pitch.....maybe they should try playing in mud and rain with leather and laced balls.

The same has been happening with corners also. I haven't seen all the games but I am really struglling to remember a goal from a dead ball situation.

Well actually there have been a fair few goals from dead balls. Both goals in Paraguay vs Italy, three penalties etc. It's just that, like literally ten seconds ago in Ivory Coast vs Brazil, a set play is either so good it ends in a goal, or, in the majority, is woeful.

Long time no see btw Sam. :)

Well actually there have been a fair few goals from dead balls. Both goals in Paraguay vs Italy' date=' three penalties etc. It's just that, like literally ten seconds ago in Ivory Coast vs Brazil, a set play is either so good it ends in a goal, or, in the majority, is woeful.[/quote']

Well, like I said I haven't seen as much as I would have liked, but from what I have seen the over all standard has been pretty poor for the quality of the players on show.

Long time

no see btw Sam. :)

Haha, sadly so. Haven't even got a team ATM. Think I might have to change my sig as well :(

You never know' date=' it may never happen. :)

Elano seems to be getting the best out of this ball though. His delivery is consistently good. Why did Man City sell him?[/quote']

Because Hughes sold pretty much every player Sven signed :( That's the one thing about him which I didn't like as a manager. Went too far in stamping his own mark on the squad :o

I think the problem with the ball' date=' if there is one, is that it's too light. The problems goalkeepers have had is because they've misjudged it so it's down to the individual in each case. That would also explain the poor free kicks, as they are hitting them like they'd hit a heavier ball but as this one is lighter, it gors a lot higher.[/quote']

The weight of the ball isn't really an issue. FIFA only permits balls that weigh 420-445g, so the difference between even the lightest and heaviest ball allowed is only 25g (almost nothing really). The Jabulani's weight (according to Adidas) is 440g, which is actually towards the heavier end of the scale anyway.

The reason the ball flies when you smack it (so feels light to kick) is more because of it's aerodynamic properties (also the lower air pressure at the higher altitude venues increases the effect, but that doesn't account for every game).

Problems

From a scientific point of view, there are two key flaws in the design of the Jabulani:

1. The surface is too smooth (almost perfectly spherical).

2. The shape of the panels means the distribution of furrows (seams where the panels meet) is uneven across the surface. Also, the "Aero Grooves" (small dimples) are not distributed evenly.

There's actually a 3rd - Adidas don't seek opinions of pro players until AFTER the ball is finished... it's a bit late then, don't you think? :o

The people who design the balls may not have even kicked a football before, nevermind played the game at the highest level. :(

Result

1. The almost perfectly smooth surface actually makes the ball unstable through the air... that argument that "the ball is too round" is actually a lot less ridiculous than it might sound. Rougher balls are more stable than smooth ones (this is part of the reason golf balls have dimples).

According to an article published here on insidescience.org, when kicked at 45-70mph, the Jabulani feels less drag and travels further than conventional footballs (the Aero Grooves on the surface create turbulent air that reduces drag, but only work at high speeds because they are too small).

At lower speeds, the smooth surface causes much heavier drag than a normal ball - so the ball slows down and falls from the air quicker than a normal ball.

Put simply, it behaves like a heavier £80 windie - it flies when you boot it, but suddenly stops and drops from the sky once it loses speed. :rolleyes:

2. This is the bigger problem, in my opinion. Increased speed and longer distances are easy to adapt to for a top professional, but this one causes the ball to be unpredictable. It removes skill from the game and adds luck in it's place.

The ball doesn't swerve MORE than other balls, it just goes in the wrong direction sometimes... and it's IMPOSSIBLE to predict when it will happen and which way it will go.

When the ball is kicked perfectly straight, with no spin, the uneven distribution of furrows and dimples cause an asymmetric flow of air around the ball, creating side forces that push the ball into a swerve.

In extreme cases this could mean a player could take an absolutely perfect shot at goal, only to see the ball fly high and wide into row Z... or, another player could completely mess up a shot, and the ball fly into the top corner.

This is totally unacceptable at this level - the perfect example of technology going too far.

We've seen some awful goalkeeping in this World Cup that you can't really blame on the ball, but the ball IS still terrible. It's an absolute disgrace for something that apparently took 6 years to develop... I don't even want to guess how much money was wasted.

Bring back the good old 32 panel (hexagon/pentagon pattern) stitched balls for the next WC, and let skill decide things for a change! :P

I am yet to see a ball swerve more than a foot either way and most shots have kept their orginal trajectory (with a few wobbles along the way at best). The goals we're talking about here have just shown poor goalkeeping in my opinion.

Toro's point about the ball being lighter along with Schuldiner's analysis re:smoothness are valid and I wouldn't go so far as saying it's a 'normal' ball, but it's not as outlandish as it's being made out to be by some. Player's in general have seemingly just lacked the nous to adjust the way they are hitting the ball for crosses/shots and are not compensating for it's behaviour and also the altered conditions (altitude). Whether they should have to is another matter (why incorporate a new ball just before a major championships?), but surely highly paid professionals representing their country at the pinnacle of their sport should have adapted considerably better than they have. Poor form on the players in question in my opinion :)

I played with this ball at 7-a-sides last week and the ball definitely feels(yes, some idiot did pay £80 for the ball :P) lighter, but as Schuldiner said it's actually rather a normal weight for a football. I did overhit it a couple of times near the start but after that it was all really easy to get used to. As he said, 25g is absolutely nothing and would make no difference to a football. It's the surface that's the problem. What is the point in trying to create new balls that are smoother and have less panels? Just so the company can claim to have the best technology? If anything this will only benefit the attackers, which is not fair to the game of football. Realistically, a ball should not be made to be easier to score with as goalkeepers will also have to play with the ball aswell. Making a ball harder for goalkeepers to catch and easier for attackers to score with is completely unfair. FIFA should bring in some sort of regulation regarding ball panels. i.e. Only your typical 32 or 16 panel ball can be used. If you look at the Jabulani, you can see that it's really shiny and smooth which will surely have varying results when compared with the above balls.