Official Euro 2012 Thread

Seftinho

:D

Two years, eight months, two weeks and a few days until Euro 2012 kicks off, we're getting close people!

Actually, the seedings for the Qualifying groups have just been announced, so when better to create a thread?

Actually (again), I created this thread to discuss the possible groups, because some of the pots are interesting and I'm bored (No JD in this week's Scrubs, not the same :(). May as well turn it into an official thread, and it'll be interesting to see in two years, eight months and a few weeks time if this topic is or is not the thread being used. I'm guessing not, but what the hell.

------------------------------------------

These are the pots:

Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia,Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

Pot Six: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino

Notable names in Pot A are France, Portugal and Croatia, two of which scraped into the WC via a play-off and the third who didn't even qualify. I can fully understand how the first two are here, after having a look at the second pot, but I'm surprised Croatia made it.

In Pot B the teams I'd want to avoid are Czech Republic, Sweden and Serbia. Over the next couple of years the latter two could become pretty strong, with the likes of Berg, Jonsson, Lundberg, Noring/Nordfeldt and a few others climbing the Sweden ranks to join Ibrahimovic and Kallstrom, whilst we all know of Serbia's talent. Czech Republic can be inconsistent, but on their day they are a team to fear. And they do have Petr Cech.

In Pot C Ireland and Bosnia are the teams you wouldn't want to draw. Both just missed out on qualifying for the WC, and have proved they can mix it with the best of them. On their day, they can prove a real challenge for the top seeds. No offense to any Scottish fans, but I don't really fear Scotland at all. The only way I would, is if they follow England and Ireland and go for an experienced, very good foreign manager to get the very best out of the Scottish players, but the current contenders don't look like they could do this.

Pot D have Slovenia, somehow, despite actually reaching the World Cup. They've proved they can mix it with some of the higher seeds and although most top seeds should have no problems with them, they're still a thread. Belgium have very much under-achieved recently, but with some top talents which include Fellaini, Witsel, Defour, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Bailly/Steppe, Vanden Borre, Kompany, Pocognoli, Carcela-Gonzalez, Hazard, Lamah, Mirallas and Dembele. Actually, that's pretty much all of them, but that's a lot of big prospects! Under the right manager, they should really be challenging the big teams. And you can't go without mentioning Wales, also with some very big potential stars in the making. Hennesey, Ramsey, Ledley, Bale, Matthews, Gunter, Nyatanga, Evans, Vokes, Church, Cotterill, King, Allen, and some lesser known ones like Taylor, Bodin, the Evans bros, Williams, Craig and Newman.

Pot E have Montenegro. A country very much on the rise, with some top talents in Vucinic and Jovetic. The rest are all minor teams.

No teams of mention in the bottom Pot.

As an England fan, the worst draw I could imagine would be Serbia, Ireland, Belgium, Montenegro and Azerbaijan (highest ranked of the bottom pot). Of those, all but the bottom seed could well be fighting for top spot.

The best possible draw in my eyes would be Slovakia, Northern Ireland (no offense), Lithuania (sorry Tom), Liechtenstein and San Marino.

The ideal group would be England, Turkey, Scotland, Wales, Georgia and San Marino.

Turkey because of the rivalry, and because my mate's Turkish, don't think I need to give my reason for Scotland, Wales simply because of the rivalry, Georgia because Kaladze and Kvirkvelia's defending is comical and San Marino because I don't think we've ever played them. At least, not in my lifetime.

Of the top seeds, you'd want to avoid Spain at all costs. The likes of Holland, Germany, England and Italy would be expected to win their groups without too many problems, but at the same time the lower seeds will know that they all have the potential to slip up. France and Portugal have some world class players but problems elsewhere with management and motivation. The lower seeds would fancy their chances with these, but if they can sort out their problems (in France's case sack their manage), they could well storm their groups. Croatia and Russia would be the ones you'd want to draw, Croatia particularly after a dismal qualifying campaign. Russia to be fair had Germany, but if Slovenia of Pot 4 can beat them, then the rest of the teams would fancy their chances in a group with Russia.

There's my long-winded thoughts. Discuss. Or just ignore this and let this topic rot.

Re: Euro 2012 Poland and Ukraine *Official Thread*

Pot One: Spain' date=' Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

[b']Pot Two[/b]: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia,Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

I have bolded the overall winners :D

San Marino because I don't think we've ever played them. At least' date=' not in my lifetime.

[/quote']

England played San Marino in either 1994 or 1998 FIFA WC qualification

game ended 7-1 to England, but SM got the distinction of scoring the fastest ever goal in a WC qualifier, finding the net after 7 seconds or so.

I'm not sure if there's a ruling stopping the home nations being picked together. I know England and Northern Ireland were in a WCQ group before, but to have three of four home nations in one group would be a bit stupid. That's not taking into account ROI who aren't a home nation.

Might as well start looking forward to this :o

Tbh I fancy our chances of topping our group (unless we get Spain of course :P)

The only two teams I would like to avoid in pot 1 are Spain and Holland. Don't fear anyone else tbh. I'd also like to avoid Serbia though.

Wish the WC was over :P Bring on the Euros!

game ended 7-1 to England' date=' but SM got the distinction of scoring the fastest ever goal in a WC qualifier, finding the net after 7 seconds or so.[/quote']

Interesting, I don't remember that. Probably because I would have been 1, but still interesting. :D

Cheers for that fact. Still would love to draw them or the Faroes.

I'm not sure if there's a ruling stopping the home nations being picked together. I know England and Northern Ireland were in a WCQ group before' date=' but to have three of four home nations in one group would be a bit stupid. That's not taking into account ROI who aren't a home nation.[/quote']

There's no ruling in place. England actually drew Northern Ireland and Wales in that group.

Stupid? How? We are all seperate countries, and should be treated so. Not to mention the draw is random, it's not like FIFA choose who's in what group..

game ended 7-1 to England' date=' but SM got the distinction of scoring the fastest ever goal in a WC qualifier, finding the net after 7 seconds or so.[/quote']

it was in the 94 wc qualifiers we played them if im right ian wright scored 4 but dont quote me on this,

we also beat them 6-0 at home david platt scoring 4 and i think carlton palmer scored aswell

ill do a google search to make sure

Interesting' date=' I don't remember that. Probably because I would have been 1, but still interesting. :D

Cheers for that fact. Still would love to draw them or the Faroes.

There's no ruling in place. England actually drew Northern Ireland and Wales in that group.

Stupid? How? We are all seperate countries, and should be treated so. Not to mention the draw is random, it's not like FIFA choose who's in what group..[/quote']

UEFA have a similar ruling for the Champions League, stopping clubs from the same country being drawn together. I thought that if the competition went up to internationals, then the countries making up the United Kingdom may be protected from each other.

:D

Two years' date=' eight months, two weeks and a few days until Euro 2012 kicks off, we're getting close people!

Actually, the seedings for the Qualifying groups have just been announced, so when better to create a thread?

Actually (again), I created this thread to discuss the possible groups, because some of the pots are interesting and I'm bored (No JD in this week's Scrubs, not the same :(). May as well turn it into an official thread, and it'll be interesting to see in two years, eight months and a few weeks time if this topic is or is not the thread being used. I'm guessing not, but what the hell.

These are the pots:

[b']Pot One[/b]: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Notable names in Pot A are France, Portugal and Croatia, two of which scraped into the WC via a play-off and the third who didn't even qualify. I can fully understand how the first two are here, after having a look at the second pot, but I'm surprised Croatia made it.

In Pot B the teams I'd want to avoid are Czech Republic, Sweden and Serbia. Over the next couple of years the latter two could become pretty strong, with the likes of Berg, Jonsson, Lundberg, Noring/Nordfeldt and a few others climbing the Sweden ranks to join Ibrahimovic and Kallstrom, whilst we all know of Serbia's talent. Czech Republic can be inconsistent, but on their day they are a team to fear. And they do have Petr Cech.

In Pot C Ireland and Bosnia are the teams you wouldn't want to draw. Both just missed out on qualifying for the WC, and have proved they can mix it with the best of them. On their day, they can prove a real challenge for the top seeds. No offense to any Scottish fans, but I don't really fear Scotland at all. The only way I would, is if they follow England and Ireland and go for an experienced, very good foreign manager to get the very best out of the Scottish players, but the current contenders don't look like they could do this.

Pot D have Slovenia, somehow, despite actually reaching the World Cup. They've proved they can mix it with some of the higher seeds and although most top seeds should have no problems with them, they're still a thread. Belgium have very much under-achieved recently, but with some top talents which include Fellaini, Witsel, Defour, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Bailly/Steppe, Vanden Borre, Kompany, Pocognoli, Carcela-Gonzalez, Hazard, Lamah, Mirallas and Dembele. Actually, that's pretty much all of them, but that's a lot of big prospects! Under the right manager, they should really be challenging the big teams. And you can't go without mentioning Wales, also with some very big potential stars in the making. Hennesey, Ramsey, Ledley, Bale, Matthews, Gunter, Nyatanga, Evans, Vokes, Church, Cotterill, King, Allen, and some lesser known ones like Taylor, Bodin, the Evans bros, Williams, Craig and Newman.

Pot E have Montenegro. A country very much on the rise, with some top talents in Vucinic and Jovetic. The rest are all minor teams.

No teams of mention in the bottom Pot.

As an England fan, the worst draw I could imagine would be Serbia, Ireland, Belgium, Montenegro and Azerbaijan (highest ranked of the bottom pot). Of those, all but the bottom seed could well be fighting for top spot.

The best possible draw in my eyes would be Slovakia, Northern Ireland (no offense), Lithuania (sorry Tom), Liechtenstein and San Marino.

The ideal group would be England, Turkey, Scotland, Wales, Georgia and San Marino.

Turkey because of the rivalry, and because my mate's Turkish, don't think I need to give my reason for Scotland, Wales simply because of the rivalry, Georgia because Kaladze and Kvirkvelia's defending is comical and San Marino because I don't think we've ever played them. At least, not in my lifetime.

Of the top seeds, you'd want to avoid Spain at all costs. The likes of Holland, Germany, England and Italy would be expected to win their groups without too many problems, but at the same time the lower seeds will know that they all have the potential to slip up. France and Portugal have some world class players but problems elsewhere with management and motivation. The lower seeds would fancy their chances with these, but if they can sort out their problems (in France's case sack their manage), they could well storm their groups. Croatia and Russia would be the ones you'd want to draw, Croatia particularly after a dismal qualifying campaign. Russia to be fair had Germany, but if Slovenia of Pot 4 can beat them, then the rest of the teams would fancy their chances in a group with Russia.

There's my long-winded thoughts. Discuss. Or just ignore this and let this topic rot.

There is no way we can be in pot 3 again if we almost knocked out one of the biggest teams in Europe and came 2nd in our group??:confused::rolleyes:

I watched Ross Kemp On Gangs this morning and it was about football hooligans in Poland and to be more exact Wisla Krakow derby with Cracovia. I thought the Turkish supporters were wild but all I'll say is I wouldn't enter any ground in Poland unless I was tooled up to the teeth. :D

There is no way we can be in pot 3 again if we almost knocked out one of the biggest teams in Europe and came 2nd in our group??:confused::rolleyes:

Slovenia also came 2nd in their group, and did knock out on the bigger teams in Europe, yet they're in Pot 4. Get over yourself.

• 6 months later...
Guest Scout Maker

Official Euro 2012 Qualification Thread

Thought I'd make a thread for this even though it's a bit early. I'm a big Ireland fan and I think we can potentially qualify through our group so I'm looking forward to these. I'd like to know your predictions for the qualifying groups.

Here are the groups:

Group A:

Germany

Turkey

Austria

Belgium

Kazakhstan

Azerbaijan

Group B:

Russia

Slovakia

Republic of Ireland

Macedonia

Armenia

Andorra

Group C:

Italy

Serbia

Northern Ireland

Slovenia

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Group D:

France

Romania

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Belarus

Albania

Luxembourg

Group E:

Netherlands

Sweden

Finland

Hungary

Moldova

San Marino

Group F:

Croatia

Greece

Israel

Latvia

Georgia

Malta

Group G:

England

Switzerland

Bulgaria

Wales

Montenegro

Group H:

Portugal

Denmark

Norway

Cyprus

Iceland

Group I:

Spain

Czech Republic

Scotland

Lithuania

Liechtenstein

Re: Official Euro 2012 Qualification Thread

Wales will qualify - if they listened to my thread earlier (See - International Football)

Got a very good chance actually, England have already won the group but i feel we've got a good chance if we can perform as Bulgaria haven't performed for a while & Switzerland aren't too good are they.

Wales will qualify - if they listened to my thread earlier (See - International Football)

Got a very good chance actually' date=' England have already won the group but i feel we've got a good chance if we can perform as Bulgaria haven't performed for a while & Switzerland aren't too good are they.[/quote']

I'm not too sure about any of this :P England had the World Cup group in the bag :rolleyes: Bulgaria will be a completely different side without Berbatov and this could either be better for them or much worse. Switzerland did just beat Spain y'know and they looked solid. At this rate I won't be discounting Montenegro :D

I'm hoping for a new look England set-up. Get Hart in as the number 1 and keep it that way. Put Johnson on the left as we really need a naturally left-sided player out there. Pray Jagielka stays fit to offer some real competition to Ferdinand and Terry. Sounds daft but he's that good and they've been that poor. Finally, please play Rooney up front on his own. That is, assuming he doesn't flip in the Slovenia game and gets himself suspended for a few games :rolleyes:

2mme2bl.jpg

Group D

Bosnian national team will have hard work but i believe that we can be first in group.In this moment i think that bosnian dragons is better team then Belarus Albania and Luxemburg.Real fight will be whit Romania and France.Now everbody nows that France is bad but in this moment.New France coach will be Laurant Blanc i very respect this former player of Man .U and Bracelona.I think that will put together good team wit S.Nasri and K.Benzema and other young players .France will be be first favorite in group D.Romania is a very strong opponent.Players like Adrian Mutu C.Chivu and R.Rat will make problems to anyone.Bosnia is every time have problems whit Romania (i really fear of this team more then France).But at end i must say that Bosnia have very weak defence whitout real RB and LB that is weak point of my team Strong part of bosnian team is FW and AM players like Z.Misimovic (one of the best playmakers in bundesliga)M.Pjanic (maybe the best young player in europe) and E.Dzeko (i dont wana speak about him everobody nows how is Dzeko)I hope and believe that Bosnia can qualify on Euro.

Guest Scout Maker

2mme2bl.jpg

Group D

Bosnian national team will have hard work but i believe that we can be first in group.In this moment i think that bosnian dragons is better team then Belarus Albania and Luxemburg.Real fight will be whit Romania and France.Now everbody nows that France is bad but in this moment.New France coach will be Laurant Blanc i very respect this former player of Man .U and Bracelona.I think that will put together good team wit S.Nasri and K.Benzema and other young players .France will be be first favorite in group D.Romania is a very strong opponent.Players like Adrian Mutu C.Chivu and R.Rat will make problems to anyone.Bosnia is every time have problems whit Romania (i really fear of this team more then France).But at end i must say that Bosnia have very weak defence whitout real RB and LB that is weak point of my team Strong part of bosnian team is FW and AM players like Z.Misimovic (one of the best playmakers in bundesliga)M.Pjanic (maybe the best young player in europe) and E.Dzeko (i dont wana speak about him everobody nows how is Dzeko)I hope and believe that Bosnia can qualify on Euro.

Never seen Bosnia play' date=' do their players gell or do they have big ego's? Romania are deadly from set pieces and down the wings with Nicolita and Chivu. I think you will get through, top? I don't know but I think you will.

Thought I'd make a thread for this even though it's a bit early. I'm a big Ireland fan and I think we can potentially qualify through our group so I'm looking forward to these. I'd like to know your predictions for the qualifying groups.

Here are the groups:

Group A:

Germany

Turkey

Austria

Belgium

Kazakhstan

Azerbaijan

Group B:

Russia

Slovakia

Republic of Ireland

Macedonia

Armenia

Andorra

Group C:

Italy

Serbia

Northern Ireland

Slovenia (Watch out for Slovenia, could cause an upset)

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Group D:

France

Romania

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Belarus

Albania

Luxembourg

Group E:

Netherlands

Sweden

Finland

Hungary

Moldova

San Marino

Group F:

Croatia

Greece

Israel

Latvia

Georgia

Malta

Group G:

England

Switzerland

Bulgaria

Wales

Montenegro

Group H:

Portugal

Denmark

Norway

Cyprus

Iceland

Group I:

Spain

Czech Republic

Scotland

Lithuania

Liechtenstein

Predictions in Bold!

I'm hoping for a new look England set-up. Get Hart in as the number 1 and keep it that way. Put Johnson on the left as we really need a naturally left-sided player out there. Pray Jagielka stays fit to offer some real competition to Ferdinand and Terry. Sounds daft but he's that good and they've been that poor. Finally' date=' please play Rooney up front on his own. That is, assuming he doesn't flip in the Slovenia game and gets himself suspended for a few games :rolleyes:[/quote']

Yeh this is a great chance to freshen up the team with an easy group,

Hart

Johson Terry Ferdinand Cole

Lennon Gerrard Lampard Johnosn

Rooney Agbonlahor

Here are the groups:

Group A:

Germany

Turkey

Austria

Belgium

Kazakhstan

Azerbaijan

Group B:

Russia

Slovakia

Republic of Ireland

Macedonia

Armenia

Andorra

Group C:

Italy

Serbia

Northern Ireland

Slovenia

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Group D:

France

Romania

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Belarus

Albania

Luxembourg

Group E:

Netherlands

Sweden

Finland

Hungary

Moldova

San Marino

Group F:

Croatia

Greece

Israel

Latvia

Georgia

Malta

Group G:

England

Switzerland

Bulgaria

Wales

Montenegro

Group H:

Portugal

Denmark

Norway

Cyprus

Iceland

Group I:

Spain

Czech Republic

Scotland

Lithuania

Liechtenstein

put in bold what teams i think will go through.

Group G:

England - 18

Wales - 17

Switzerland - 12

Bulgaria - 5

Montenegro - 1

England 2 - 1 Wales

Wales 1 - 0 England

Wales 2 - 2 Swiss

Swiss 1 - 1 Wales

Bulgaria 1 - 2 Wales

Wales 2 - 0 Bulgaria

Wales 3 - 0 Montenegro

Montenegro 1 - 2 Wales

But that'll only happen if: "Wales To Success Thread"

You must be crazy?

Do you think Wales, a nation full of sheeps, will finish above the Swiss, No Chance!