Official Euro 2012 Thread

Seftinho

Re: Official Euro 2012 Thread

Spain v France should be interesting tonight. The French have an excellent record against Spain in major tournaments and the Spanish haven't looked quite as dominating as they have in the last Euros and World Cup.

England v Italy should be good too. Like Dave, I'm predicting a draw after 90 minutes and I'm hopeful thereafter :P Feel much more confident with Hart than I have in any previous tournaments though, both as a keeper and taker. Pace will be important as the Italians aren't a quick side so I'd start Welbeck again and would personally put Ox in for Young.

Just watched a recording of the game and I was knew Germany would score at least 3' date=' but the Greeks gave a lash of it for a part in the second half. I don't understand why everyone thought Reus played pap though; sure he shinned a few shots, but he did an awful lot of good tight work throughout the game. And I would say he should start in the semis. He did a lot in the game; [b']except for those who only see the final product[/b] (which was not great -1) as the mark of a good performance.

At the highest level the final product is the only thing that matters. Reus had a few good moments, however he also gave the ball away more times than any other German player, plus his shooting was poor and even his goal he did his best to miss an open goal! Definitely didn't do enough to start the semi final and neither did Schurrle, that said i was impressed by Germany's play and a final of Germany V Spain would be pretty epic so fingers crossed none of the bus parkers get in their way before then :rolleyes:

Spain v France should be interesting tonight. The French have an excellent record against Spain in major tournaments and the Spanish haven't looked quite as dominating as they have in the last Euros and World Cup.

England v Italy should be good too. Like Dave' date=' I'm predicting a draw after 90 minutes and I'm hopeful thereafter :P Feel much more confident with Hart than I have in any previous tournaments though, both as a keeper and taker. Pace will be important as the Italians aren't a quick side so I'd start Welbeck again and would personally put Ox in for Young.[/quote']

I don't understand the Welbeck love, without Chiellini in there Carroll would be perfect, Welbeck I believe would get brushed aside by the defenders including De Rossi remember.

But I do agree about Ox but only because Young has been Pap so far, and as for Milner he needs dropping, pretty badly.

I don't understand the Welbeck love' date=' without Chiellini in there Carroll would be perfect, Welbeck I believe would get brushed aside by the defenders including De Rossi remember.

But I do agree about Ox but only because Young has been Pap so far, and as for Milner he needs dropping, pretty badly.[/quote']

I have far more confidence in Welbeck to finish a chance than I do Carroll and whilst Carroll has impressed me with his winning the ball in the air from long punts, 90% of the time they fall at the feet of an opponent because our midfield is so deep. Throw Carroll on to shake things up.

Milner makes Johnson barely adequate instead of utterly terrible. Offensively he's not been great but he's been better than Young.

I have far more confidence in Welbeck to finish a chance than I do Carroll and whilst Carroll has impressed me with his winning the ball in the air from long punts' date=' 90% of the time they fall at the feet of an opponent because our midfield is so deep. Throw Carroll on to shake things up.

Milner makes Johnson barely adequate instead of utterly terrible. Offensively he's not been great but he's been better than Young.[/quote']

Johnson's been brillaint so far :rolleyes: He's been very solid defensively and attacks better than Milner, I don't understand with the hate or is somebody still annoyed that Richards didn't get pick ;) I've heard United fans say he's been one of our best players, no thanks to Milner who has been dog doo.

Johnson's been brillaint so far :rolleyes: He's been very solid defensively and attacks better than Milner' date=' I don't understand with the hate or is somebody still annoyed that Richards didn't get pick ;) I've heard United fans say he's been one of our best players, no thanks to Milner who has been dog doo.[/quote']

Which England have you been watching? The Johnson I've seen has made numerous errors and done reasonably well to cover his own arse in saving them. Against Sweden he played Mellberg onside and covered poorly for their first and I've read that Mellberg was his man for the free kick.

Many United fans know absolutely nothing about football. Milner's covered Johnson excellently.

Which England have you been watching? The Johnson I've seen has made numerous errors and done reasonably well to cover his own arse in saving them. Against Sweden he played Mellberg onside and covered poorly for their first and I've read that Mellberg was his man for the free kick.

Many United fans know absolutely nothing about football. Milner's covered Johnson excellently.

Milner has done nothing of note so far and has been missing since the France game, surprised nobodies sent a search part.

I reckon we have the most solid defense left in the competition. Admittedly Johnson can be a bit shakey but he's not a bad player. Cole is the most reliable player I have ever seen for club and country, Terry and Lescott have gelled ok and are both excellent defenders. Both are threats at set pieces too.

Ashlet Young has been our wort player for me, closely followed by Milner. Against Italy, I think Walcott should play the whole game just because he's our only decent winger.

Firstly Mellberg wernt Johnson's man for the free kick but that aint what I have come on here to discuss...

Bolded bit first sentence definetley has an element of truth...

As for the 2nd im sorry mate but even with your man City hat on nobody can deny Milner has been pap....and he certainly has not been an excellent source of cover for Johnson.....if Milner's job is to cover Johnson then he aint been doing it that well at all.....

Plus and I know we have had this conversation before but if covering another player is supposedly the best element he can bring to a tournament then by golly what a limited player he must be. He has had enough chances.

Gone with the false number 9 again.....for the love of God I cant understand that for a variety of reasons all of which I am to lazy to discuss in depth right now but it seriously hampers the side for my money.

Having said all that Im desperate for Spain to win, nothing against France but I prefer Spain, interesting that Nasri has been dropped France appear to be increasing the physicallity of there side.

By the way for all those who moan about parking the bus hey none of us like it but you have to respect there are different ways to win a game of football and if the "beautiful" way was that effective it would beat the "parked Bus" sysndrome anyway.

Ask any Chelsea fan if they care that they parked the bus....I bet i know what the answer will be the ends justify the means...

Im pretty sure if you asked Schweinsteiger, ribery, Lahm etc whether they would want to be remembered as the team who played the better football and lost or as a bunch of winners I know what there answer would be :)

By the way I cant stand Chelsea for a variety of reasons but you have to respect the fact they achieved an enormous thing.

Look at France tonight they certainly seem to be going more defensive you have to play the way that gives you the best chance, try to take Spain on on pure footballing terms and you are prepering yourself to fail.

Whilst this is not the thread for it, and your statement is true - I will contest that lack of football knowledge is not something limited only to "United fans" .... there are plenty of fans of all clubs (many on here) that obviously know sweet fa about the beautiful game.

In other words - why does it always have to come back to "United fans"? Nonsense.

Whilst this is not the thread for it' date=' and your statement is true - I will contest that lack of football knowledge is not something limited only to "United fans" .... there are plenty of fans of all clubs (many on here) that obviously know sweet fa about the beautiful game.

[b']In other words - why does it always have to come back to "United fans"?[/b] Nonsense.

I think he only said that because I said that some of my mates who are United fans have said Johnsons been very good this tournament while he believes he hasn't.

A Liverpool fan sticking up for a United Fan..........I've seen it all

I think he only said that because I said that some of my mates who are United fans have said Johnsons been very good this tournament while he believes he hasn't.

A Liverpool fan sticking up for a United Fan..........I've seen it all

For me, most of the English players are average so far this tournament. The only players that I think have crept above this are Gerrard and Welbeck. Young and Milner would be my most disappointing performers - mainly because they are both capable of so much more.

I reckon we have the most solid defense left in the competition. Admittedly Johnson can be a bit shakey but he's not a bad player. Cole is the most reliable player I have ever seen for club and country' date=' Terry and Lescott have gelled ok and are both excellent defenders. Both are threats at set pieces too.

Ashlet Young has been our wort player for me, closely followed by Milner. Against Italy, I think Walcott should play the whole game just because he's our only decent winger.[/quote']

I think our defence has been quite lucky (France and Ukraine could both have scored more) but yes, considering we're missing some important players, be it cover or starters, we've defended quite well.

The best part of our game has been our chance conversion, though that's mainly because we've created so few chances.

Walcott didn't touch the ball in twenty minutes against Ukraine. He's had his good game for a few more years ;) In all seriousness, I think he's much better as an impact sub.

Firstly Mellberg wernt Johnson's man for the free kick but that aint what I have come on here to discuss...

Bolded bit first sentence definetley has an element of truth...

As for the 2nd im sorry mate but even with your man City hat on nobody can deny Milner has been pap....and he certainly has not been an excellent source of cover for Johnson.....if Milner's job is to cover Johnson then he aint been doing it that well at all.....

Plus and I know we have had this conversation before but if covering another player is supposedly the best element he can bring to a tournament then by golly what a limited player he must be. He has had enough chances.

Offensively, Milner has sucked. Defensively he kept Evra from bombing forward against France and had we been playing Walcott ahead of him, we'd have been much more susceptible to Johnson being attacked as he is the weakest link in our defence. Against Sweden and Ukraine Johnson didn't have that much to do as he wasn't facing 'proper' left wingers. Balzaretti will cause him more problems.

If a player needs to be covered then I'm not sure what he's doing in our starting line-up :)

Whilst this is not the thread for it' date=' and your statement is true - I will contest that lack of football knowledge is not something limited only to "United fans" .... there are plenty of fans of all clubs (many on here) that obviously know sweet fa about the beautiful game.

In other words - why does it always have to come back to "United fans"? Nonsense.[/quote']

Oh, it's not only United fans. United fans tend to have more because they have more fans and more fans who know less about football and support United because it's 'fashionable'. Your average Grimsby fan would know more about football than your average United fan because the average Grimsby fan would get to games, watch a lot of football (Grimsby and others) and get to understand the game. Unfortunately, an average United fan, numbers wise, is probably an Indonesian kid with a knock off kit who chants Ronaldo's name (nothing against you).