Official Euro 2012 Thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Euro 2012 Qualification Thread The Ireland - Armenia game: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-have-Ireland-Armenia-replayed/223313224399828 http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos

Re: Official Euro 2012 Thread Reading some of this thread is mind-numbingly dull full of drivel mainly based around the..... Spain are boring What a complete load of bull. Spain have developed a

Re: Official Euro 2012 Thread 1. So, you think supporting the National Football Team is patriotism? That explains how you guys get so screwed by your politicians. Not saying others wouldn't either,

Re: Official Euro 2012 Qualification Thread

You must be crazy?

Do you think Wales' date=' a nation full of sheeps, will finish above the Swiss, No Chance![/quote']

Have you looked at the link.

Well if anyone's not bothered, i suggest the following changes:

Manager, From Toshack to Coleman

Formation, From just about everything to a 4-5-1

To get rid of the old, From Gabbidon to Ribiero etc...

To play a consistant goalkeeper, From Myhill & Hennesey to just the one

To play Bale & Bellamy on the wing,

To base the midfield around Ramsey

Line-Up:

After:

Hennesey

Gunter Collins Williams © Nyatanga

Ledley Ramsey Collison

Bellamy @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Bale

Church

Manager: Chris Coleman

Have you looked at the link.

Well if anyone's not bothered' date=' i suggest the following changes:

Manager, From Toshack to Coleman

Formation, From just about everything to a 4-5-1

To get rid of the old, From Gabbidon to Ribiero etc...

To play a consistant goalkeeper, From Myhill & Hennesey to just the one

To play Bale & Bellamy on the wing,

To base the midfield around Ramsey

Line-Up:

After:

Hennesey

Gunter Collins Williams © Nyatanga

Ledley Ramsey Collison

Bellamy @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Bale

Church

Manager: Chris Coleman

Yes I did SJ. But the Welsh NT, no offence are no match for the Swiss, the Bulgarians, the English and even the Montenegrins.

So Chris Coleman, the man who has at best achieved expectation and given that he's been sacked in two of his three jobs arguably performed below expectations a lot of the time, is going to mastermind the return to prominence of long dormant Welsh football? The very same Chris Coleman who's knowledge of International Football is so stunning that he called Steven Appiah a striker when Ghana bought him on in their first game, just because he didn't come back to defend the first corner they faced up to with him on the pitch? I find that hard to believe.

Yes I did SJ. But the Welsh NT' date=' no offence are no match for the Swiss, the Bulgarians, the English and even the Montenegrins.[/quote']

What do you get when you put Ramsey, Bale, Collison, Matthews, Gunter, Allen, Eardley & Church on the same team? .... a team of the worlds best talents.

We are a strong side, when all our squad is fit of course, but we are a strong side. We just need a new manager to bring in new ideas and make us succesfull, Bale has the potential to be as good as Ryan Giggs, Ramsey has the potential to some day ... be the Worlds best midfielder. We are a strong side, and mark my words we will make a World Cup or a European Championship finals in this generation of young players.

Guest Scout Maker

So Chris Coleman' date=' the man who has at best achieved expectation and given that he's been sacked in two of his three jobs arguably performed below expectations a lot of the time, is going to mastermind the return to prominence of long dormant Welsh football? The very same Chris Coleman who's knowledge of International Football is so stunning that he called Steven Appiah a striker when Ghana bought him on in their first game, just because he didn't come back to defend the first corner they faced up to with him on the pitch? I find that hard to believe.[/quote']

Crystal Palace reject :D

What do you get when you put Ramsey' date=' Bale, Collison, Matthews, Gunter, Allen, Eardley & Church on the same team? .... a team of the worlds best talents.

We are a strong side, when all our squad is fit of course, but we are a strong side. We just need a new manager to bring in new ideas and make us succesfull, Bale has the potential to be as good as Ryan Giggs, Ramsey has the potential to some day ... be the Worlds best midfielder. We are a strong side, and mark my words we will make a World Cup or a European Championship finals in this generation of young players.[/quote']

i wouldnt say bale would be a ryan giggs 1 day , more like ramsey :P

So Chris Coleman' date=' the man who has at best achieved expectation and given that he's been sacked in two of his three jobs arguably performed below expectations a lot of the time, is going to mastermind the return to prominence of long dormant Welsh football? The very same Chris Coleman who's knowledge of International Football is so stunning that he called Steven Appiah a striker when Ghana bought him on in their first game, just because he didn't come back to defend the first corner they faced up to with him on the pitch? I find that hard to believe.[/quote']

I'm not saying he's the best manager in the World ... but it's something different, it something better than Toshack. Not neccesarily Coleman, maybe Gary Speed or Andy Legg but the reality of things is we'll find it hard to get a decent manager in like Ireland & England through the door so were going to have to look locally.

Toshack once prefered Owain Tudor Jones (A Norwich, lucky to make the reserves player) over Joe Allen - Swansea's best midfielder. Toshack has played the likes of Jermaine Easter at times when the answer is right beneath him.

I'd rathe Coleman then Toshack, simply because i know Toshack can't do the job so anyone in his place will do but obviously Coleman isn't the ideal replacement but i still feel he'll do a better job than Toshack.

i wouldnt say bale would be a ryan giggs 1 day ' date=' more like ramsey :P[/quote']

Huh funny, but with all your Arsenal-Spurs rivalry aside you know he's a great young player. When he was on form at the end of last season, helping them beat Arsenal & Chelsea, he was at the time the best winger in the Premiership and he has the potential to be that sort of winger when on form. He's only 20 years old, Fran Merida is known as a big talent but has never found himself into the Arsenal team aged 20 and is now at Atletico but i can almost guarentee you that Bale will be a regular in the Tottenham side. Eventually Tottenham will have to sell him if he keeps on improving and he'll land a move to a bigger side, where he can become the next Ryan Giggs.

Huh funny' date=' but with all your Arsenal-Spurs rivalry aside you know he's a great young player. When he was on form at the end of last season, helping them beat Arsenal & Chelsea, he was at the time the best winger in the Premiership and he has the potential to be that sort of winger when on form. He's only 20 years old, Fran Merida is known as a big talent but has never found himself into the Arsenal team aged 20 and is now at Atletico but i can almost guarentee you that Bale will be a regular in the Tottenham side. Eventually Tottenham will have to sell him if he keeps on improving and he'll land a move to a bigger side, where he can become the next Ryan Giggs.[/quote']

infact i change my statement : lol i'm tired not thinking straight :rolleyes:

i do agree bale is a great player , and now champions league football he can reach anywhere above 90+ if in champions league for a couple of years etc.

infact i change my statement : lol i'm tired not thinking straight :rolleyes:

i do agree bale is a great player ' date=' and now champions league football he can reach anywhere above 90+ if in champions league for a couple of years etc.[/quote']

But qualification isn't about potential rating :P

I actually feel we have a chance, i feel were better than the Swiss who's only main youngstar is Ben Khalifa as far as i'm aware.

They have Senderos - We have Collins

They have Fernandes - We have Ramsey

They have Nkufo - We have Church

The only thing that worries me is Toshack, he's done nothing in 3 years in charge yet he's still here. We need change, we can't have him, as he can't achieve any success.

Guest Scout Maker

But qualification isn't about potential rating :P

I actually feel we have a chance' date=' i feel were better than the Swiss who's only main youngstar is Ben Khalifa as far as i'm aware.

They have Senderos - We have Collins

They have Fernandes - We have Ramsey

They have Nkufo - We have Church

The only thing that worries me is Toshack, he's done nothing in 3 years in charge yet he's still here. We need change, we can't have him, as he can't achieve any success.[/quote']

Benaglio? Barnetta? Derdiyok? Frei? Magnin? Lichtststeiner? Inler? Vonlanthen?

Benaglio? Barnetta? Derdiyok? Frei? Magnin? Lichtststeiner? Inler? Vonlanthen?

Well i'm not an expert of Swiss football, but i feel were stronger then them - certainly potential wise. I don't think we'll finish higher than them though with Toshack in charge, but a new manager with different ideas and i'm possitive we'd qualify.

Guest Scout Maker

Well i'm not an expert of Swiss football' date=' but i feel were stronger then them - certainly potential wise. I don't think we'll finish higher than them though with Toshack in charge, but a new manager with different ideas and i'm possitive we'd qualify.[/quote']

All of them are playing in the UEFA Cup or the Champions League this year (Maybe not Vonlanthen) and they start for their clubs. Simon Church who if I'm correct plays for a team who finished in the bottom half of the Championship. Yes he is a good player and should be playing for a bigger team, but what I'm saying is, the Swiss have too much quality. I do believe you are better than Bulgaria and Montenegro though. Ireland didn't do too great against the small sides in the World Cup Group stages yet still finished 4 points above them.

All of them are playing in the UEFA Cup or the Champions League this year (Maybe not Vonlanthen) and they start for their clubs. Simon Church who if I'm correct plays for a team who finished in the bottom half of the Championship. Yes he is a good player and should be playing for a bigger team' date=' but what I'm saying is, the Swiss have too much quality. I do believe you are better than Bulgaria and Montenegro though. Ireland didn't do too great against the small sides in the World Cup Group stages yet still finished 4 points above them.[/quote']

Well isn't it better for Church to get regular football and score goals at Reading, meaning he has more confidence to play and to score goals for his Country rather than being a reserve in a side in the Champions league.

I don't think what sorts of clubs the team plays for reflects the quality of the overall sie, there's a couple of Champions league players in the Wales side anyway in Ramsey & Bale and Bellamy is playing Europa League, perhaps not an added distraction.

Guest Scout Maker

Well isn't it better for Church to get regular football and score goals at Reading' date=' meaning he has more confidence to play and to score goals for his Country rather than being a reserve in a side in the Champions league.

I don't think what sorts of clubs the team plays for reflects the quality of the overall sie, there's a couple of Champions league players in the Wales side anyway in Ramsey & Bale and Bellamy is playing Europa League, perhaps not an added distraction.[/quote']

Yes it is but Derdiyok is a year older than him and is already starting for a team in the Champions League, not to mention Frei is a prolific goalscorer and a match winner.

Yes the Welsh team have alot of potential, but at the moment, the Swiss have much more quality than them.

Yes I did SJ. But the Welsh NT' date=' no offence are no match for the Swiss, the Bulgarians, the English and even the Montenegrins.[/quote']

Come on give them some credit, they could acleast get a draw agaisnt Montenegro. :P Nah your not that bad, they'll get a few wins, but theyd have to work dam hard.

What do you get when you put Ramsey' date=' Bale, Collison, Matthews, Gunter, Allen, Eardley & Church on the same team? .... a team of the worlds best talents.

We are a strong side, when all our squad is fit of course, but we are a strong side. We just need a new manager to bring in new ideas and make us succesfull, Bale has the potential to be as good as Ryan Giggs, Ramsey has the potential to some day ... be the Worlds best midfielder. We are a strong side, and mark my words we will make a World Cup or a European Championship finals in this generation of young players.[/quote']

Well tbh Wales are way too young and inexperienced. They dont gel and they dont seem like they beleive in themselves when they play. I mean you do have good players their is no doubting that, but Church will have no chance against some of the National sides back four's. Also are'nt you kidding yourself a bit to say Gunter, Eardley, Allen, Matthews are part of the worlds best talents. :o Collins is a good player, but the best hope you have lies with Bale and Ramsey.

Well i'm not an expert of Swiss football' date=' but i feel were stronger then them - certainly potential wise. I don't think we'll finish higher than them though with Toshack in charge, but a new manager with different ideas and i'm possitive we'd qualify.[/quote']

To call Wales "stonger" than Switzerland is very, very laughable. I can't wait for Mark's response if he sees this thread.

Wales have some very promising players, but right now none of them are anywhere near their potential. Ramsey, Collison and Bale are your only "talents" who are anywhere near the Switzerland players, the likes of Eardley, Matthews, Gunter, Church and Allen are Championship standard players at best right now, and it's anyone's guess whether they'll reach their potential. But to compare them with some top top players from the Premiership, Serie A the Bundesliga and the likes, most of which are playing European football, is very laughable.

That's not to say there is no chance of Wales qualifying, but on paper your team is nowhere near the standard of Switzerland or England. Bulgaria then are probably a similar level to you, but with a top class player in Berbatov, whilst Montenegro are probably slightly weaker on paper, but with Jovetic and Vucinic and some good young players themselves, your match with them could go either way.

I can see Wales coming 3rd. Equally I can see them coming 5th. I doubt very much you will come 2nd or higher - quote me on this in two years time if you remember and I am proved wrong. Maybe in 2014 or more likely 2016, but that depends how much your talents have matured. I doubt very much they'll all hit a good Premiership standard - a good few of them will probably spend most of their careers in the Championship or League 1.

------------------------------

Now, I think this is the first time I've actually seen these. Or at least paid any attention to them. Of course the winner automatically qualifies, the best runner up will join them, and the remaining four runners up will go into a play-off, whilst Ukraine and Poland are joint hosts.

How are Slovenia still ranked lower than Northern Ireland and Croatia still a top seed? Beggars belief, although by the next rankings after the World Cup, they'll probably change. Too late for these groups though.

My predictions:

Winners:

Germany

Russia

Italy

France

Netherlands

England

Portugal

Spain

(Ok, gone with the top seeds. Hard to see which top nation might struggle right now, so I'll play it safe.)

Runners Up:

Best:

Denmark

Play-offs:

Belgium

Ireland

Serbia

Bosnia

Sweden

Israel

Switzerland

Czech Republic

I really doubt my predictions will come remotely close, but it'll be interesting in 18 months time to see who does actually qualify.

That's not to say there is no chance of Wales qualifying' date=' but on paper your team is nowhere near the standard of Switzerland or England. [b']Bulgaria then are probably a similar level to you, but with a top class player in Berbatov[/b], whilst Montenegro are probably slightly weaker on paper, but with Jovetic and Vucinic and some good young players themselves, your match with them could go either way.

Berbatov retired from internationals last month ;)

But I'd agree with you in saying that Wales could finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th, maybe they'll have a chance at qualifying for WC2014 but not this time.

And tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Switzerland finished top. Frei = God.:)

Never seen Bosnia play' date=' do their players gell or do they have big ego's? Romania are deadly from set pieces and down the wings with Nicolita and Chivu. I think you will get through, top? I don't know but I think you will.

Predictions in Bold![/quote']

Bosnia play like Croatia and Serbia same football school.We play good against strong oponent but whit small teams we have problems.Bosnian attackers is

very good Muslimovic ,Ibisevic,Dzeko,Misimovic this guys can score against anyone.

Berbatov retired from internationals last month ;)

But I'd agree with you in saying that Wales could finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th' date=' maybe they'll have a chance at qualifying for WC2014 but not this time.

And tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Switzerland finished top. Frei = God.:)[/quote']

Really? In that case Wales have every chance of beating Bulgaria and Montenegro, but those three are so close in ability that any of them could come 3rd, any could come last. Too close to call right now.

That is actually a really difficult group, compared to most. Even the weakest team in Montenegro are quite decent. There's no easy game, like in the past with Liechtenstein, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, etc. England will really have to be up for every game, but I'm fairly confident. We may have been shocking in the World Cup so far, but in qualifying we were supreme and had no problems whatsoever (Ukraine excluded, which came after we had qualified).

Guest Scout Maker

Bosnia play like Croatia and Serbia same football school.We play good against strong oponent but whit small teams we have problems.Bosnian attackers is

very good Muslimovic ' date='Ibisevic,Dzeko,Misimovic this guys can score against anyone.[/quote']

Who does that remind me of? :rolleyes:

------------------------------

Now' date=' I think this is the first time I've actually seen these. Or at least paid any attention to them. Of course the winner automatically qualifies, the best runner up will join them, and the remaining four runners up will go into a play-off, whilst Ukraine and Poland are joint hosts. [/b']

How are Slovenia still ranked lower than Northern Ireland and Croatia still a top seed? Beggars belief, although by the next rankings after the World Cup, they'll probably change. Too late for these groups though.

My predictions:

Winners:

Germany

Russia

Italy

France

Netherlands

England

Portugal

Spain

(Ok, gone with the top seeds. Hard to see which top nation might struggle right now, so I'll play it safe.)

Runners Up:

Best:

Denmark

Play-offs:

Belgium

Ireland

Serbia

Bosnia

Sweden

Israel

Switzerland

Czech Republic

I really doubt my predictions will come remotely close, but it'll be interesting in 18 months time to see who does actually qualify.

I don't undertand. 16 teams go through right? I think you might have missed a top team or something as counting up all of your predictions and teams, there is still one place missing in the Euro's.

Who does that remind me of? :rolleyes:

I don't undertand. 16 teams go through right? I think you might have missed a top team or something as counting up all of your predictions and teams' date=' there is still one place missing in the Euro's.[/quote']

24 teams in Euro 2012, more team this year and ofcourse the hosts (Is it Ukraine :o)

I was at the Wales game when they beat Scotland 3-0 not so long ago, that was a superb performance inspired by Ramsey and even without in-form Craig Bellamy & Gareth Bale.

If we play like that more consistantly we can finish as runners up, this wont happen under Toshack - we need him out and then we can re-build and be succesfull. I'm not saying were on paper favourites, because it would be a big suprise to everyone if we made it but i'm saying that if we perform how we can perform we have a chance.

Don't underestimate Simon Church, he's a very fast player who gels very well with the midfield. He gets the midfield ticking and he does score goals at international level.

But as for the other teams, this is what i feel of there chances:

England - Well hopefully Wales will give them a game, but they just need to turn up and Rooney to be on form and they can book themselves into there hotel.

Ireland - They have such a good group, and must fancy there chances. They should realistically be picking up 18 points from there games with Macedonia, Armenia & Andorra. Russia aren't great, there not in the form they were in Euro 08, Slovakia are beatable. Ireland have a chance of winning the group.

Scotland - It's tough, with Spain involved aswell. But under a new manager they'd be fancying there chances. Just a two way, head to head with Czech Republic to finish runners-up in all honesty. Lithuania aren't the weakest off teams but i can't see them at the finals.

N. Ireland - Very difficult, ofcourse Italy are in there group but so are World Cup duo Serbia & Slovenia. This is such a hard group, with Northen Ireland aren't used to and i can see them finishing as low as 4th.

Guest Scout Maker

24 teams in Euro 2012' date=' more team this year and ofcourse the hosts (Is it Ukraine :o)

But as for the other teams, this is what i feel of there chances:

Ireland - They have such a good group, and must fancy there chances. They should realistically be picking up 18 points from there games with Macedonia, Armenia & Andorra. Russia aren't great, there not in the form they were in Euro 08, Slovakia are beatable. Ireland have a chance of winning the group.

[/quote']

Doesen't that mean the team that finishes 2nd goes automatically through?

Yeah we have a good group, Russia will probably win it though, they are much more reliable against smaller teams like Macedonia than us. We should beat Slovakia. Their defence isn't the strongest but I hope Dunne and St.Ledger don't get outmuscled by Vittek.

Guest Daragh

Group G:

England - 18

Wales - 17

Switzerland - 12

Bulgaria - 5

Montenegro - 1

England 2 - 1 Wales

Wales 1 - 0 England

Wales 2 - 2 Swiss

Swiss 1 - 1 Wales

Bulgaria 1 - 2 Wales

Wales 2 - 0 Bulgaria

Wales 3 - 0 Montenegro

Montenegro 1 - 2 Wales

But that'll only happen if: "Wales To Success Thread"

I think you're really under estimating Montenegro. They are no walkovers and I really can't see Wales beating them in Montenegro.

Doesen't that mean the team that finishes 2nd goes automatically through?

Yeah we have a good group' date=' Russia will probably win it though, they are much more reliable against smaller teams like Macedonia than us. We should beat Slovakia. Their defence isn't the strongest but I hope Dunne and St.Ledger don't get outmuscled by Vittek.[/quote']

Are you Irish?