Official Euro 2012 Thread

Seftinho

Guest Scout Maker

Re: Official Euro 2012 Qualification Thread

Delighted, I'd say we have a chance against anyone in the play-offs. I still have my doubts over Cox/Walters and if they can perform internationally but I thought they both did well tonight.

BUT GIVE US FRANCE PLEASE SO WE CAN BEAT THE SCUM!

Wouldn't it be great if Ireland got France again in the Play-offs ? .. I'm so attending that if it happens :)

Did I ever mention that I HATE PLATINI AND ALL FRANCE,can they go on some big championship without Platini or referee?

So sad,and dissapointed.

Just home, missed the train, and no train until an hour and forthy minutes later. Shocking that. You'd expect it to be more organised on a match day. Never usually like that though. Would like to avoid Turkey out of the four nations, Estonia obviously being the preferred choice.

I would have went if it wasn't Armenia..

Good attitude that...

Just home' date=' missed the train, and no train until an hour and forthy minutes later. Shocking that. You'd expect it to be more organised on a match day. Never usually like that though. [b']Would like to avoid Turkey out of the four nations, Estonia obviously being the preferred choice.

[/b]

What do you mean by this. Are there only 4 teams Ireland can get in the draw?

It'll probably be like the play offs for the World Cup where four teams get seeded and they can't face each other although I'm not sure about that plus it was greeted with a fair bit of scepticism at that time, too.

We're seeded now, thanks to how everything panned out tonight. The opposite pot will include Turkey, Bosnia, Montenegro and Estonia. Ironic how at one stage we were depending on France to get a result against Bosnia, only to see them go a goal down :P Their result proved irrelevant in the end though thanks to other results, although they did managed to salvage a point and first place.

Yes ROI! Armenia pressured and nearly grabbed something towards the end but we held on and got the win. I will hopefully have two teams to support at the Euro's now. :D

Oh and on the subject of ROI vs France. I lost all respect I had for Henry on that day. No sportsmanship at all, though I'm sure plenty of other footballers would have done the same thing which is wrong IMO.

Some of the big names who will definitely miss Euro 2012:

Kompany

Hazard

Vermaelen

Fellaini

Vertonghen

Witsel

Defour

Alderweireld

Lukaku

Hamsik

Skrtel

Vidic

Ivanovic

Stankovic

Subotic

Krasic

Kolarov

Handanovic

Chivu

Dzsudzsak

Benayoun

Inler

Barnetta

Djorou

Derdiyok

Shaqiri

Bale

Ramsey

Berbatov

Fletcher

Adam

Oh and on the subject of ROI vs France. I lost all respect I had for Henry on that day. No sportsmanship at all' date=' though I'm sure plenty of other footballers would have done the same thing which is wrong IMO.[/quote']

Yeah, I lost all my respect for Ireland the days after, what a bunch of whiners, no sportsmanship at all.

Ireland showed their famous sportsmanship again yesterday, surrounding the referee demanding for a red card (thing all the Brits accuse other people of, see the hypocrisy), that they eventually got, despite the fact that after the match their only player (Cox) close enough to see what happened admitted that the Armenian GK didn't play the ball with his arms, but it in fact did touch his (Cox's) arm. This is something you see from replays as well: it surely was no handball by the GK, but Cox seems to handle the ball when trying to bring it down (thus it should have been a free kick to Armenia). Even Cox doesn't first react to it, everybody near the ball keeps on playing and the ref was absolutely unable to do the decision on his own, as he was so far and there was a whole bunch of players directly between him and the ball - heck, even the assistant referee didn't signal anything at all (and yet he confirmed the handball when asked!! just how badly does this guy do under pressure?!), but the Irish players ran from far to talk the ref into it. Just amazing.

Well, after that Armenia really gave Ireland those two goals anyway. Although, it is very possible that with the 1st choice GK neither of them would have happened and with full 10 field players Armenia could have maybe scored a few more. About Armenia's goal, firstly, it was a pretty hard shot from behind the defender, and secondly, Given was moving to his left to the pass direction when a fast shot came to his right. Although it was not at all impossible to save, it was not extremely easy either. You should rather wonder how those two Ireland goals were let in (or, in the first case, in fact, put in) by Armenians.

Too bad Armenia didn't make it, they've shown pretty good football lately, would have liked to see them in EC and believe that they could have made it through the play off.

Congrats to Sweden and Estonia, doing something quite unexpected (the former beating Netherlands and the latter getting to play offs). Serbia really wouldn't have earned their spot in EC this time, they were just not any good in the whole qualifications, and add to that the disorder in Italy. Good luck to Estonia in play offs, they at least have got nothing to lose. Also congrats to Wales for winning two in a row. :D No, seriously, Switzerland has been a tough team lately, so it was quite well from Wales. How low is Wales ranked again?

The above list of big names sure to miss EC isn't all that amazing really. Good names from smaller football countries that often miss the tournaments. Having likes of Fletcher, Dzsudzsak, Benayoun and Ramsey there is really a joke, I mean, who ever thought that Scotland, Hungary, Israel or Wales would have got to the final tournament? Of course, surprises happen, but then it would be, obviously, a surprise, and worth mentioning that they got there. It is likely that none of them will ever play in their whole career a EC or WC, so what's the big deal that they didn't get there now?

Moreover, these above mentioned players, along with likes of Inler, Barnetta and Djourou, I find hard to take them as "big names" at the moment. Sure, good players, even excellent, but "big names"? It's not as if Italy or Germany had disqualified, and pretty much all of the really big names are still at least possibly in (Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Xavi, Ribery, Piqué, Van Persie, etc.). From the already disqualified I would only pick Serbian defenders Ivanovic and Vidic, Romanian veteran Chivu, plus the young Belgian winger Hazard and Wales star Bale as big names, with possibly Berbatov as the top scorer of EPL, but considering that he doesn't fit to his club's playing formation any more, he doesn't seem all that big now. Although players like Ramsey, Fellaini and Shaqiri are class acts, I can't really imagine that they would have been presented as the big names of the EC in the case that they would have made it there. Perhaps in 2016, or already in 2014 WC, if they make it there, but not 2012. Worth mentioning: it is still possible that Ronaldo will not be seen in the EC. Now, that would be a big name and there would be a bunch of others with him, like Nani and Pepe.

Yeah' date=' I lost all my respect for Ireland the days after, what a bunch of whiners, no sportsmanship at all.

Ireland showed their famous sportsmanship again yesterday, surrounding the referee demanding for a red card (thing all the Brits accuse other people of, see the hypocrisy), that they eventually got, despite the fact that after the match their only player (Cox) close enough to see what happened admitted that the Armenian GK didn't play the ball with his arms, but it in fact did touch his (Cox's) arm. This is something you see from replays as well: it surely was no handball by the GK, but Cox seems to handle the ball when trying to bring it down (thus it should have been a free kick to Armenia). Even Cox doesn't first react to it, everybody near the ball keeps on playing and the ref was absolutely unable to do the decision on his own, as he was so far and there was a whole bunch of players directly between him and the ball - heck, even the assistant referee didn't signal anything at all (and yet he confirmed the handball when asked!! just how badly does this guy do under pressure?!), but the Irish players ran from far to talk the ref into it. Just amazing.

Well, after that Armenia really gave Ireland those two goals anyway. Although, it is very possible that with the 1st choice GK neither of them would have happened and with full 10 field players Armenia could have maybe scored a few more. About Armenia's goal, firstly, it was a pretty hard shot from behind the defender, and secondly, Given was moving to his left to the pass direction when a fast shot came to his right. Although it was not at all impossible to save, it was not extremely easy either. You should rather wonder how those two Ireland goals were let in (or, in the first case, in fact, put in) by Armenians.

Too bad Armenia didn't make it, they've shown pretty good football lately, would have liked to see them in EC and believe that they could have made it through the play off.

Congrats to Sweden and Estonia, doing something quite unexpected (the former beating Netherlands and the latter getting to play offs). Serbia really wouldn't have earned their spot in EC this time, they were just not any good in the whole qualifications, and add to that the disorder in Italy. Good luck to Estonia in play offs, they at least have got nothing to lose. Also congrats to Wales for winning two in a row. :D No, seriously, Switzerland has been a tough team lately, so it was quite well from Wales. How low is Wales ranked again?

The above list of big names sure to miss EC isn't all that amazing really. Good names from smaller football countries that often miss the tournaments. Having likes of Fletcher, Dzsudzsak, Benayoun and Ramsey there is really a joke, I mean, who ever thought that Scotland, Hungary, Israel or Wales would have got to the final tournament? Of course, surprises happen, but then it would be, obviously, a surprise, and worth mentioning that they got there. It is likely that none of them will ever play in their whole career a EC or WC, so what's the big deal that they didn't get there now?

Moreover, these above mentioned players, along with likes of Inler, Barnetta and Djourou, I find hard to take them as "big names" at the moment. Sure, good players, even excellent, but "big names"? It's not as if Italy or Germany had disqualified, and pretty much all of the really big names are still at least possibly in (Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Xavi, Ribery, Piqué, Van Persie, etc.). From the already disqualified I would only pick Serbian defenders Ivanovic and Vidic, Romanian veteran Chivu, plus the young Belgian winger Hazard and Wales star Bale as big names, with possibly Berbatov as the top scorer of EPL, but considering that he doesn't fit to his club's playing formation any more, he doesn't seem all that big now. Although players like Ramsey, Fellaini and Shaqiri are class acts, I can't really imagine that they would have been presented as the big names of the EC in the case that they would have made it there. Perhaps in 2016, or already in 2014 WC, if they make it there, but not 2012. Worth mentioning: it is still possible that Ronaldo will not be seen in the EC. Now, that would be a big name and there would be a bunch of others with him, like Nani and Pepe.[/quote']

Cool story bro

IRELAND FOR EURO 2012

Some of the big names who will definitely miss Euro 2012:

Kompany

Hazard

Vermaelen

Fellaini

Vertonghen

Witsel

Defour

Alderweireld

Lukaku

Hamsik

Skrtel

Vidic

Ivanovic

Stankovic

Subotic

Krasic

Kolarov

Handanovic

Chivu

Dzsudzsak

Benayoun

Inler

Barnetta

Djorou

Derdiyok

Shaqiri

Bale

Ramsey

Berbatov

Fletcher

Adam

Chivu is not playing for the national side anymore ;) .. Don't ask me why :)

So if it had been the other way round' date=' you think the French wouldn't have whined? - yeah right :rolleyes:[/quote']

First: Tell me one time that France had gone whining after a football match. Ref decisions, unacceptable playing conditions and so on may have been lamented the day after, but that's it, thereafter the French very fast focus on the lacks in own teams performance, always reckoning that playing better would have brought the victory despite of luck, bad ref decisions etc. Considering how dull two matches these were, and that the French lamented that before and after the goal, I'm pretty sure that if Ireland had won with a goal like that, the French would still have talked about how bad France played those matches - and so should have the Irish talked about how badly Ireland played.

Secondly, what the Irish did was beyond whining. They brought it to politics, went to sabotage wikipedia pages, started boycotts and what not. It was worse than ridiculous. And it was really hypocrite, since there was nothing that Henry did that the Irish wouldn't have done worse before. Moreover, I'm sure that the Irish wouldn't have cared at all about the moral value of that goal, had it been scored by Ireland. They would have rejoiced it and said that things like that happen, like they did after the Armenia-clash and like they did after the Georgia-match before. And like did Henry directly after the goal - but not the French in general, the fans as well as the team saying that this was wrong and a re-match would be the best solution.

But hey, I was only kidding, I didn't lose all respect I had to Ireland, it is just the football fans, the federation, the government and the National Team. There's still a lot of respectable in Ireland.

First: Tell me one time that France had gone whining after a football match. Ref decisions' date=' unacceptable playing conditions and so on may have been lamented the day after, but that's it, thereafter the French very fast focus on the lacks in own teams performance, always reckoning that playing better would have brought the victory despite of luck, bad ref decisions etc. Considering how dull two matches these were, and that the French lamented that before and after the goal, I'm pretty sure that if Ireland had won with a goal like that, the French would still have talked about how bad France played those matches - and so [i']should[/i] have the Irish talked about how badly Ireland played.

Secondly, what the Irish did was beyond whining. They brought it to politics, went to sabotage wikipedia pages, started boycotts and what not. It was worse than ridiculous. And it was really hypocrite, since there was nothing that Henry did that the Irish wouldn't have done worse before. Moreover, I'm sure that the Irish wouldn't have cared at all about the moral value of that goal, had it been scored by Ireland. They would have rejoiced it and said that things like that happen, like they did after the Armenia-clash and like they did after the Georgia-match before. And like did Henry directly after the goal - but not the French in general, the fans as well as the team saying that this was wrong and a re-match would be the best solution.

But hey, I was only kidding, I didn't lose all respect I had to Ireland, it is just the football fans, the federation, the government and the National Team. There's still a lot of respectable in Ireland.

Are you talking about both legs?

And you've also said you've lost respect for about every single person in ireland.

First: Tell me one time that France had gone whining after a football match. Ref decisions' date=' unacceptable playing conditions and so on may have been lamented the day after, but that's it, thereafter the French very fast focus on the lacks in own teams performance, always reckoning that playing better would have brought the victory despite of luck, bad ref decisions etc. Considering how dull two matches these were, and that the French lamented that before and after the goal, I'm pretty sure that if Ireland had won with a goal like that, the French would still have talked about how bad France played those matches - and so [i']should[/i] have the Irish talked about how badly Ireland played.

football fans, players, managers, associations etc are hypocrites

move on, baby.

I also think if you played Portugal again' date=' Bosnia will beat them. I mean they're a terrible team.[/quote']

LOL. We had a bad day against Denmark. So what? When we're in form there are few teams that can stop us (4-0 against Spain anyone?). It won't be Bosnia who'll take us out of the Euro, nor any of the non-seeded teams.

I 2nd this.

I also think if you played Portugal again' date=' Bosnia will beat them. I mean they're a terrible team.[/quote']

A terrible team, but a good day for Nani & Ronaldo could see us concede too many goals, defending isn't our strong point. First half against France showed how good we are though, really felt we deserved the win created plenty of chances and held out second half untill we gave away a pen (dodgy defending:rolleyes:)

ah well, pretty confident of going through reguardless of who we play! Still prefferably the Irish though :)