• Kaka (97)
    • Lampard (95)
    • De Rossi (94)
    • Robinho (93)
    • Ribery (95)
    • Anelka (93)

Guest Ciaranmc2k10

Re: biggest WC flop ?

I think Ronaldo and Messi did great for there NT teams yes they didnt score they set up a few yes.

ROONEY for me

Rooney was just awful, every part of his game let him down. I actually don't accept that he was injured, maybe a knock or not 100% but Walcott would have done more.

Torres was close aswell, but after his two surgeries he is obviously lacking his game sharpness. Least his team progressed and can still win it.

Messi didn't get goals, he didnt play bad at all.

For me it has to be Rooney' date=' because he came in superb form and CHOKED big time, he was invisible and was a big part of Englands epic failure.[/quote']

He wasn't in superb form at all. He has played badly since the Bayern Munich game.

Torres, he was 4th or 5th favourite for the Golden Boot, that was until I realised his goalscoring record for Spain in recent years is not great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Torres

All competitive.........

2006/2007 1 goal in 8 appearances

2007/2008 3 goals in 12 appearances

2008/2009 5 goals in 12 appearances

2009/2010 2 goals in 10 appearances

Considering a large chunk of that period is during Euro 2008, which they won and the great form they showed since winning it, his style of play and the position he plays at Liverpool is suited to the EPL. "Barn door" and "5 yards" spring to mind outside the EPL

Dunno why Robinho is on that list. I thought he had a very good world cup.

Has to be Rooney or Ribery. Ribery is so over-rated on this game. In the last 2 years he has not played at a 95 standard.

Rooney was injured before so wasnt 100% fit. But still didnt look like he was bothered about playing.

Dunno why Robinho is on that list. I thought he had a very good world cup.

Has to be Rooney or Ribery. Ribery is so over-rated on this game. In the last 2 years he has not played at a 95 standard.

Rooney was injured before so wasnt 100% fit. But still didnt look like he was bothered about playing.

Cant be more right, probably one of brazils best players up there with Luis Fabiano, Lucio and Maicon, i was also pleasently suprised with gilberto silva, he can stil cut the mustard at the top level lol:)

In terms of progression and level of rating id have to say Ribery, to go from Champs Lge Final and Domestic double, to not even qualifying and finishing bottom is ridiculous, Anelka and De Rossi are the same but not in rating.

Overall i think Messi was the worst, most shots in the tournament up to his last match and not even a goal?? I thought Tevez and Veron (when he played) were more involved!

Overall i think Messi was the worst' date=' most shots in the tournament up to his last match and not even a goal?? I thought Tevez and Veron (when he played) were more involved![/quote']

but messi played well, he was heavily marked making it almost impossible for him to do anything.

rooney didn't even pass the ball well,

tbh for this thread i would just list the majority of the england team :(

I'd have to say rooney. Came in to the world cup with everyone expecting to see the world class form that he showed for united last season and it just didn't happen for it. Yeah, torres hasn't been good, but that's because he's not played in ages so needs to get up to match fitness after his injuries

He wasn't in superb form at all. He has played badly since the Bayern Munich game.

He was rushed back from injury too soon. He hobbled off in the first leg and we were all told "out for 2-3 weeks", but United rushed him back SIX DAYS later and he hasn't scored or been the same player since.

Personally i think the trio of Ribbery, Rooney, and Torres have been poorest. You can make a case for some of the others too (excluding Robinho who i thought was ok actually), but these three stand out.

Ribbery - 30% disappointed because he's been bad at club level all season so didn't expect much from him.

Torres 60% disappointed because he's been injured most of the season. It would have been less but his dive to get a player sent off was a disgraceful thing and he should be embarrassed every time he looks in the mirror(and he's one of my favorite players so the criticism doesn't come easily).

Rooney 70% the only one of the three to come in with any form despite being injured. Maybe he was rushed back too early, who knows, but he was (for me) the poorest england player of all which is saying something.

I voted for Rooney' date=' but Di Maria was equally bad. He started most of the games, but barely touched the ball during the 90 minutes, and did nothing of relevance during the whole WC. You'd be expecting a lot more from a player who was transferred to Madrid for a two digit price.[/quote']

WOW.

You can't say 1 good thing about Di Maria!:o

I know he played a bad WC, and he even admitted it; but he said it was due to playing a more defensive role than attacking

I put Torres, because Rooney IMO was good at United due to having very good service and good team mates around him, where the likes of Lennon/Wright Phillips were pap, so its no wonder he flopped. Torres cant say that hes just been awful. :P