UEFA Europa League

Re: UEFA Europa League

Now Ajax out as well!

Clubs left in the Europa League: Viktoria Plzeň' date=' Fenerbahçe, Benfica, Bordeaux, Anzhi Makhachkala, Newcastle United, Stuttgart, Lazio, Spurs, Inter, Levante, Rubin Kazan, Basel, Zenit, Steaua București and Chelsea.

Plzen v [b']Fenerbache[/b]

Benfica v Bordeaux

Anzhi v Newcastle

Stuttgart v Lazio

Spurs v Inter

Levante v Rubin

Basel v Zenit

Steua v Chelsea

My picks for the quarters. Absolutely wide open.

Plzen

Benfica

Newcastle

Lazio

Inter

Rubin

Zenit

Steaua

Newcastle being away from home first is massive. As long as we can keep it fairly tight away and maybe nick an away goal i think we'll go through.

The first big European tie at St James' for about 7 years, it'll be an unbelievable atmosphere especially with the likes of Eto'o and Willian coming to toon!

Plzen

Benfica

Newcastle

Lazio

Spurs

Rubin

Zenit

Steaua

If I had to guess I'd go with this eight,unsure on Plzen/Steaua but both done well in previous legs and not really sure how much Chelsea even care about the competition tbh,as for Plzen they beat Napoli 5-0 so maybe Fenerbache is also a possibility for them as well.

If this did happen as a Newcastle fan I'd be delighted :).

• 3 weeks later...

CHELSEA-RUBIN KAZAN

TOTTENHAM-BASEL

FENERBACHE-LAZIO

BENFICA-NEWCASTLE

Tottenham and Chelsea definetly have got a lucky round, thought Chelsea keeps getting incredibly lucky with the team extractions, even thought they have been mostly rubbish against Steaua.

Newcastle has definetly got the worst opponent of the lot (if not considering the other english clubs) it will be very though for them.

Fenerbache Lazio are also quite balanced, thought if Lazio plays like they did against stuttgart, fenerbache will have a hard time countering the italians.

Personally in the semi's i see Chelsea and Tottenham quite easely, Lazio at 75%, and i would like to see Newcastle aswell, but its 50/50 against benfica really, probably the percentages go even in favour of Benfica, seeing the really hard time that Newcaslte has in scoring.

CHELSEA-RUBIN KAZAN

TOTTENHAM-BASEL

FENERBACHE-LAZIO

BENFICA-NEWCASTLE

Tottenham and Chelsea definetly have got a lucky round' date=' thought Chelsea keeps getting incredibly lucky with the team extractions, even thought they have been mostly rubbish against Steaua.

Newcastle has definetly got the worst opponent of the lot (if not considering the other english clubs) it will be very though for them.

Fenerbache Lazio are also quite balanced, thought if Lazio plays like they did against stuttgart, fenerbache will have a hard time countering the italians.

Personally in the semi's i see Chelsea and Tottenham quite easely, Lazio at 75%, and i would like to see Newcastle aswell, but its 50/50 against benfica really, probably the percentages go even in favour of Benfica, seeing the really hard time that Newcaslte has in scoring.[/quote']

AHHHHHH now what?

:eek::(

• 3 weeks later...

I think Castle feel the same' date=' happy with an away goal (definitely not deserved

:eek:)[/color']

The away goal was deserved. We battered you for 25 minutes until you scored. We could and should have been 3-0 up in 20 minutes.

It just capitulated as soon as Santon made that stupid back pass. :o

Cisse hit the post twice and there was a couple of other chances as well.

All around by full time you were the better side and in some ways we were lucky it was only 3-1 but we should have been leading by a long way early on - We just didn't take our chances. That's football i suppose.

It could have quite easily been 6-4 last night :rolleyes:

I think the second leg should be good. In front of a packed St James' with us needing the two goals, it should be a brilliant atmosphere and we know we can score against you. Your back line is very suspect but we need to stop you scoring which will be interesting.

I'd love to see a Basel v Benfica final!

Anybody know what happened to Bobadilla?

Wouldnt we all

:P

Bobadilla the keeper?

3rd season in row that Portugal has teams in the S/F.. I think Benfica have big chances to reach the final.

Yeah' date=' but gota work on our defence and concentration, last night we just fell apart towards the end, and when matic doesnt have a good game the whole team seems to fall apart[/color']

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chelsea are the Champions :D.

Benfica were the better team but we showed real spirit and never gave up. Hats off to the boys.

what match were you watching mate?

Chelsea dominated small timers Benficaa???

Benfica were useless in the final third, i had all the confidence they wouldn't score in open play.B)

Basically, if you stop Nicolas Gaitan, you stop Benfica. Simple as that.

Gaitan didnt perform, Chelsea blue Benfica away thereafter. ;):D

what match were you watching mate?

Chelsea dominated small timers Benficaa???

Benfica were useless in the final third' date=' i had all the confidence they wouldn't score in open play.B)

Basically, if you stop Nicolas Gaitan, you stop Benfica. Simple as that.

Gaitan didnt perform, Chelsea blue Benfica away thereafter. ;):D[/quote']

I had heard quite a bit about Gaitan before the game so kept a close eye on his throughout. Worst player on the pitch. Didnt do anything right, shooting was wayward, passing wasnt the best, dribbling was poor, dont know why jorge jesus thought he'd have a better day at LB(!), gave away the corner which lead to the goal, what followed that though summed up his day, walked away from the post he was guarding when the corner swung in and ivanovic's header looped in. Never seen a player have such a bad game that id been looking forward to see.