Barcelona's football academy

John S

I 've done a bit of research in the web about the famous Barcelona's football academy that 'adopts' young footballers at the ages of 12-15 and nurtures their talent to help them succeed in the sport.

I was impressed by the fact that 7 Barcelona players were starters at the World Cup final (Pique, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro and D.Villa).Also, 6 out of the 7 players :eek: were members of the Catalan youth team a few years ago.

Therefore I found 2 nice articles that cover this topic in more depth and thought that some of you would be interested in finding out a bit more.

I hope you will enjoy reading them as much as I did :)

Re: Barcelona's football academy

The first one was very interesting' date=' seeing how traumatic it could be for the youngsters. The sacrafices we make for football ey? :P[/quote']

But it seems that it was worth being away from home for some time. Most of them now earn 100k per week and are super idols!:D

[/b]

Very' date=' very few do. I'd say less then 1% of proffesional footballers earn 100k per week.

But nice reads there, very interesting :)[/quote']

I think me means most of the Barca lads are on about 100k a week which in most cases is probably true.

Barcelona have one of the best, if not the best academy in the world. The way they not only scout the best youngsters, but then also train them so many of them hit their world class potential is amazing.

This is one reason Spain have so many world class players whilst England barely have three or four (and all but one are on the way down now anyway). They nurture their young talent from a very young age, the most important ages in a youngsters career, and then gradually bring them through and give them good game time instead of shunting them out for the best talent abroad rather than snapping up the best young talent at 16-18 that other clubs have trained up, taking credit for it, neglecting them in the youth then selling them off when they're 22/23. For instance Arsenal will take credit for Fabregas, when in-fact it was Barcelona that made him what he is today.

As long as English clubs continue to ignore the girth of talent from the ages of 11-16 and instead just buy all the most promising 16 year olds from abroad, England will continue to create so few top players. The problem isn't so much that the English clubs aren't playing the youngsters, but they are completely neglecting the ones that have in their team.

On a more positive note, Luciano Becchio is a Barca youth product. icon_smoking.gif

Edit: Just reading the articles now. Nearly finished the first one. It really gives an incredible insight to the Barcelona way of football. The only thing that makes it seem a little unethical is that it must be so hard for the young kids and their parents to be apart at such a young age. It gives these young players a far from normal childhood, and whilst for some it will be so worth it when they are churning in the millions, what about the others that fail to make the grade? They've wasted their childhood for nothing. But it's clearly very, very successful.

This line is a big reason as to why they are so successful:

'From the age of seven to the age of 15 everything is about working with the football,' says Capellas.

'With the very small boys, the most important thing is to control the ball very well, to have the ability to run with the ball and to think very quickly and execute their passes very well. We spend so much time on passing and on tactics, to understand our style of play, which is the same from the eight-year-olds to the first team.'

7-15, the most important ages in a players growth. Over here in England we aren't tought to be creative, to pass the ball. We are tought to always go in hard, to always commit to the challenge, to be strong and to put the fastest player through on goal whenever possible. A few managers, mine included for my last two years before I stopped playing, try to get us passing the ball instead of hoofing it. I remember being criticised when I just hoofed it, and as a result I learnt to always play it on the ground instead. And it worked. To an extent. When this particular manager took over (shortly after I joined the club, when I was just 14 - my old club had collapsed) he got us playing good, creative, attacking football and we came 4th, the clubs best finish. The more successful teams were the ones with the massive players who would just steamroll you, with a couple of quality players who would create and score the goals.

But if all clubs in England, be it the professional clubs with their U11s an onwards, or just the sunday league teams, tried to manage like this, encouraging the players to play on the ball as much as possible and rely less on the stronger, faster players, maybe England would produce some world class players of our own. Alas, no, the FA are too blind to realise this, the clubs are too busy signing the more promising teenagers that have been trained this way by foreign clubs and the sunday league managers are too scared to do it because it probably won't be popular.

And that is why England will never be a global force like Spain or Argentina or Brazil or Germany.

Yeah I agree with you Seftinho. English clubs should give more attention to improving their academies and stop buying top players using extravagant amounts of money. The way Barcelona helps in the development of football is unique. Although we are in a period where money can buy almost any player a club wants, Barcelona make sure that they will always be able to have their own stars soming from their academies.

Really intresting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just to bad from the four mentioned in the last article posted only one is on the DataBase

This thread shows how Barca are really the best team in the world!!! it's incredible that they can discover talent from kids that are only 12 years old turning them into Xavi's Iniesta's and Messi's:eek:.

And any one of the players that are currently at the youth squad could well be crowned the Ballon D'Or winner someday.

Great Threath

Really intresting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just to bad from the four mentioned in the last article posted only one is on the DataBase

This thread shows how Barca are really the best team in the world!!! it's incredible that they can discover talent from kids that are only 12 years old turning them into Xavi's Iniesta's and Messi's:eek:.

And any one of the players that are currently at the youth squad could well be crowned the Ballon D'Or winner someday.

Great Threath

Thanks for your comments.

However 3 out of the 4 players are on the database: Gai Assulin (who is currently a free agent though), Thiago Alcantara and Muniesa. Only Bartra isnt ATM!

They are all known on the forum.

Yeah, but it is a nice list about the top 100 hottest players in the world and it also contains a few comments about each player. That way people can make up their mind about a player much more easily ;)

Famous Barcelona B' graduates:

Goalkeepers:

Victor Valdes

Jose Reina

Carles Busquets

Defenders:

Presas Oleguer

Puyol

Pique

Midfielders:

Xavi

Iniesta

Sergio Busquets

Jordi Cruyff

Giovanni dos Santos

Jonathan dos Santos

Thiago Motta

Ivan de la Pena

Fransisco Rufete

Forwards:

Messi

Pedro Rodriguez

Bojan Krkic

Famous Barcelona B' graduates:

Goalkeepers:

Victor Valdes

Jose Reina

Carles Busquets

Defenders:

Presas Oleguer

Puyol

Pique

Midfielders:

Xavi

Iniesta

Sergio Busquets

Jordi Cruyff

Giovanni dos Santos

Jonathan dos Santos

Thiago Motta

Ivan de la Pena

Fransisco Rufete

Forwards:

Messi

Pedro Rodriguez

Bojan Krkic

Wouldn't class Jordi as being famous though B)

Great thread, John. I've actually seen and read the 1st story (even to one forumer :eek:) and it's a real good read. This chemistry explains quite a lot of Barcelona's success as whenever you see them play, it just seems like they've got a telepathic bond (some of them) and this is the main reason why. When you're being grown at such a institution from such young age with other great talents, if you're not broken down, you're almost bound to achieve something.

Barcelona's cantera is indeed one of the very few best academies in the world and for a reason :)

Great thread' date=' John. I've actually seen and read the 1st story (even to one forumer :eek:) and it's a real good read. This chemistry explains quite a lot of Barcelona's success as whenever you see them play, it just seems like they've got a telepathic bond (some of them) and this is the main reason why. When you're being grown at such a institution from such young age with other great talents, if you're not broken down, you're almost bound to achieve something.

Barcelona's cantera is indeed one of the very few best academies in the world and for a reason :)[/quote']

Well, we all agree that Barcelona has the best academy ;)

Alot of peoples views on the current system in place in English academies is totally, incorrect, inaccurate and therefor completely wrong.

Every single top flight academy in England, through out the age groups is predominantly made up of youngsters from the local, surrounding area or slightly futher afield, with the occasional player moving from somewhere else in England to the Academy.

The coaching philosophy, from what i have seen is changing, it is changing to a more tactical and technical approach, in the good academies anyway, rather than just relying on the physical attributes of players, which for so long was the key issue ! eg SWP being releaed by Nottingham Forest because they believed he was to small, that people,was a 20 million pound mistake. But times have changed, and so have the academies, the level of scientific detail and planning that goes into the schedule of the U11-U18 has increased tenfold.

Nutritionists, Sport Psychologists, Team work-Leadership-Communication behaviour experts, are all part of the lives of young academy footballers. The coaching style , is very much down to the club and their coaches, but they are not stupid and can see the european form of development, is the correct one, and far more effective, they are shifting towards it, slowly but surely, and some more than others.

Even the FA, who deal with development , regularly hold training days for Academy coaches to inspire them into new ways of coaching and the benefits in doing so.

The problem, does not lie with English Academies, the issue lies with the Premiere League and football league.

There is to much financial pressure on the teams to do well, people can not afford to blood youngsters through in such a mannor which they do in other countries , Academy Graduates arent given a chance, and so fall by the side, the "players who could of been" !

Until clubs in the premiership start to take notice of the talent that is now coming through English Academies, England will struggle to produce players like Spain.

This academy is perfect. Barca is a big club, but don't hesitate in taking up youngsters and they are willing to take a shot with youngsters even though if they would perhaps desperately need a win in the CL group stage for instance. Now this comes from a great idea by the club: Every class of the Barca youngsters has the same idea, philsophy, playing-style and much more as the A-team. And with having Guardiola, a former B-team coach, it isn't so hard for the players that is taking the big stage up to the A-team. Everything is like in the youth teams, and Guardiola knows these kids better than anyone else, so they aren't having problems personally either. It takes alot of strength to make this journey, but once you've made it all the way, success is the only thing that can happen to you (in almost every case when it comes to Barca young players).

About that bracket in the last sentence: A player like Bojan, who is too good for the B-team, but is also having problems finding himself a starting place in the Barca even though he has been playing impressive for years in the younger ages. Anyway, with Villa, Ibra, Pedro, and Messi occuping the forward positions in Barca, and with Ibra perhaps abit before Bojan in the pecking order means that Bojan is the fifth person in the pecking order. What I am trying to say is that he should try to get some regular playing-time in some other club, but as Barca is a big club and therefore can easily be paying high salarys, he will find it hard to join a club that also can give him regular playing-time. In this case we can exclude all the big clubs in Europe as I believe that atleast 90% of them can't give him regular playing time. So, there are only perhaps those clubs who are just about right under the biggest clubs in Europe. Valencia, Atl Madrid, Sevilla to name a few from Spain. I believe they wouldn't have afford with Bojan's wage demands if they would decide to loan him. Of course Barca can loan him out to some other club and at the same time pay his wage under his time at the other club, but assume that Barca don't want to do this. It will then be hard for Bojan to get some playing time at Barca and thus this will hit his development. What I am trying to say is that once a youngster in Barca's academy has made it all the way to the A-team and is sitting there with a big, fat contract, but is getting way down there in the pecking order and has nowhere to go, what shall he do....? This is the only negative things I can come up regarding Barca's youngsters.

The academy sounds more like a German concentration camp to me. It's all right if you are really good but for those who aren't you waste the best time of your childhood cooped up without the people you know and love. And I don't see why the Barca academy deserves extra praise. Every club has a golden period where the academy dishes out top players but this won't go on forever.

The academy sounds more like a German concentration camp to me. It's all right if you are really good but for those who aren't you waste the best time of your childhood cooped up without the people you know and love. And I don't see why the Barca academy deserves extra praise. Every club has a golden period where the academy dishes out top players but this won't go on forever.

I agree that clubs have golden periods where the academy produces top players and that wont go on for ever. But Barcelona's academy has done extraordinary well in the past few years.

Messi, the best player in the world, Xavi, the best playmaker, Iniesta, Puyol, Pique, Fabregas...are all top products of La Masia. I dont remember any other academy doing something similar. The only academy that could probably be classed at the same level would be Ajax academy but no other academy has produced so many top players at the same time.

The influence this has had on the national team is also exceptional. 6 players of this academy, played a pivotal role in capturing Euro 2008 and WC 2010.

In a period, where money has become an extraordinary important factor in the football world, Barcelona produce their own players and teach them how to be part of the same team.

Every academy and youth team has produced some top players from time to time but Barcelona's success will be remembered for ages.

This is what makes them unique. This is what makes them stand out!

I agree that clubs have golden periods where the academy produces top players and that wont go on for ever. But Barcelona's academy has done extraordinary well in the past few years.

Messi' date=' the best player in the world, Xavi, the best playmaker, Iniesta, Puyol, Pique, Fabregas...are all top products of La Masia. I dont remember any other academy doing something similar. The only academy that could probably be classed at the same level would be Ajax academy but no other academy has produced so many top players at the same time.

The influence this has had on the national team is also exceptional. 6 players of this academy, played a pivotal role in capturing Euro 2008 and WC 2010.

In a period, where money has become an extraordinary important factor in the football world, Barcelona produce their own players and teach them how to be part of the same team.

Every academy and youth team has produced some top players from time to time but Barcelona's success will be remembered for ages.

This is what makes them unique. This is what makes them stand out![/quote']

Wst Ham produced half the England team (the fact that they never gel is a different story). United produced Scholes(one of the best CM at his peak), Giggs(what can I say), becks(involved in 75% of the goals in 1999), the nevilles(england players) all came through at the same time. All of them won the then unprecedented treble matched by barca. pretty sure there are one or French and German sides in there as well.

This annoys me. Barca have spent millions and millions on players since Guardiola took over.