Barcelona's football academy

John S

Re: Barcelona's football academy

Wst Ham produced half the England team (the fact that they never gel is a different story). United produced Scholes(one of the best CM at his peak)' date=' Giggs(what can I say), becks(involved in 75% of the goals in 1999), the nevilles(england players) all came through at the same time. All of them won the then unprecedented treble matched by barca. pretty sure there are one or French and German sides in there as well.

Exactly! That was what I was talking about. It doesnt only mean that if an academy produces good players it is totally succesful. Player need to gel. Barca's success is due to the fact that the players can communicate with each other on the field. Remember how many times Xavi has assisted Messi and others?

This annoys me. Barca have spent millions and millions on players since Guardiola took over.[/quote']

The only new player in the starting 11 of Barcelona was Ibrahimovic ;)

The money Barca spent last summer is nothing compared to what Real have spent ;)

• 3 months later...

Wst Ham produced half the England team (the fact that they never gel is a different story). United produced Scholes(one of the best CM at his peak)' date=' Giggs(what can I say), becks(involved in 75% of the goals in 1999), the nevilles(england players) all came through at the same time. All of them won the then unprecedented treble matched by barca. pretty sure there are one or French and German sides in there as well.

This annoys me. Barca have spent millions and millions on players since Guardiola took over.[/quote']

lets just take the giggs back , He was at man city 1st :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The academy sounds more like a German concentration camp to me. It's all right if you are really good but for those who aren't you waste the best time of your childhood cooped up without the people you know and love.

The point of la masia is not just to create good football players but also good people. Also not every person that joins la masia will go on to become a professional footballer, which is why players there have to spend a lot of time on school studies. They are preparing players for (in there eyes) the worst case scenario, you get an injury or your not good enough, so you have to choose a different career. I think i'm right in saying the students at la masia have a strict timetable of schoolwork, which also teachs them a disipline they can apply in day to day life, football or other careers. Anyone who gest taught there is incredibly fortunate. The system they run must work as they have had such great success in recent years, so following in the footsteps of these players must be incredible.

The pressure to succeed at Barcelona must be enormus. Having to follow the example of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi is a huge act to follow. They must know that if they can't handle the pressure of playing for Barcelona then there are thousands of people there age who would jump at the chance to take their place.

Okay you would have to make the compromise of moving away from your family but think of the rewards on offer. Messi moved to la masia when he was 13 and Eto'o brought some youth players from Cameroon to play for barcelona (i think one of thems called Dongu). They left there family from probably near poverty and you now look at Messi, the best player in the world, he has brought enormus wealth to his family. Its part of the risk these players make moving to la masia.

Maybe an unpredictable success of la masia is the close relationships player have developed on and off the pitch. They have almost become a family. They were all put in similar sitaution at some point in there childhood, move away from family, move to la masia. So they all have that in common, they all know what it like and could support each other. When you watch Barcelona play, there is a fluidity, they can second guess where a player is going to be. They have learnt what run a teamate is going to make and where there going to be so if they get in trouble they can play a pass, without looking up and know they player is there. That sort of awareness can only be developed over years of learnign each others habits. No matter how much money spend they will never be able to emulate barcelona because there players haven't played together, under the same system for as many years.

People saying this is a golden generation, i don't think its going to end. With Pedro, Thiago, Fabregas, Busquets, Sanchez, Messi all under 25 they still have the basis for future great sides. And with la masia they have a blueprint which works, which they can repeat to produce further great players. I believe Barcelona and spains dominance will continue for years to come.

• 1 month later...

That academy must be doing something right given the number of world class players it has produced.

The academies in this country are way behind and most of the coaches are not qualified enough to coach kids in the technical aspects of the game. i came across this forum but there aren't many postings but looks interesting to see what parents think of the academies here! http://www.footballacademytalk.com

• 1 month later...