Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Gold Championship 1 News

Posted Images

392_1194048258.gif

Borussia Dortmund tonight made sure the club is represented in both German finals this season.

16 Jul Division 1 H - Dynamo Dresden

18 Jul SMFA Champions Cup Round 1 H - Juventus

19 Jul Division 1 A - Bayern Munchen

21 Jul German Cup Final H - Eintracht Frankfurt

23 Jul Division 1 H - 1 FC Koln

26 Jul Division 1 A - Greuther Furth

28 Jul German Shield Final H - TSV Munchen 1860

FANS ANGER AT 'DISRESPECTFUL' SPARTAK BOSS

Spartak fans were in uproar after a shock 1-0 defeat to Torpedo Moskva in the final of the Russian & Ukraine Shield Final. The defeat was the first in 35 game for Spartak.

It was not the nature of the defeat that caused anger. A spokesman for the fanclub said:

"We fielded our 3rd team for a cup final! Teb was disrespectful to Torpedo and made to pay. Does he really expect to win in Europe? We should have got our second trophy of the season in the bag."

Teb was in a subdued mood when quizzed on the subject.

"Initially, the starting XI looked very different indeed, but matches on the horizon against Lokomotiv Moskva, and Real Madrid, meant that I had to rest key players. I am obviously disappointed too."

The defeat will only increase the pressure on Teb to bring home the big trophies; that being the SMFA Cup and the league title.

Arsenal face FC Porto tonight in what has been described as their most important game in the setup. After the first team saw off Tom G's Hull in the Quarters of the English Shield on Monday, the reserves got their chance on Wednesday and came away with a goalless draw against Middlesbrough.

With the club lying 5th in the league and 4 points off a top 4 place, the chances of winning the title are long gone. The club are now prepared to lose any chance of a top 4 finish to win the Champions Cup, with George admitting it would be his greatest moment on SM to even reach the Semi's. Having never taken a side past this first knockout stage Arsenal aren't confident as they face a strong and youthful Porto, but they hope their added experience can see them through.

This Is Our Year!

Bayern_Munich.gif

After watching his side canter into the SMFA Champions Cup Quarter Finals tonight, Bayern manager Tom Mills is determined to re-write history and heal the wounds suffered at the same stage of the famous competition last season by going all the way this year.

"Last year hurt", admits the Bavarian boss. "Losing to the eventual winners can be seen as comforting to some managers - but I knew that it should've been us lifting that trophy." The 3-2 defeat at the hands of Manchester United in last year's competition saw some fans of the Munich giants turn against the Englishman in charge, wanting him to be removed from his position. However, Mills ploughed on and has managed to steer his side to the same stage of the competition as he did last season - only this time no-one will stop him.

"I'm not doubting our opposition. Arsenal have a quality side, full of strength in all areas of the pitch and a very accomplished manager at their helm in the shape of GeorgeECFC, but their are three key differences between Bayern Munich and Arsenal. They are Lionel Messi, Cesc Fabregas and Andres Iniesta. These are three of the best young players in the world, and I have absolute faith that they will spur our team past Arsenal, and all the way to success in the final."

lionel_messi_1_the_associated_press.jpg

'The Next Maradona' could be the difference in next week's Quarter Final

The Quarter Final tie against the Gunners was set up with a comfortable 2-0 victory against a resilient SK Brann of Norway. Goals from Rodrigo Alex (43') and Roque Santa Cruz (50') were enough to see off a team who had performed brillaintly even to get into the competition, never ming get as far as they did. Tom Mills reserved special praise for his opponents after his side's victory. "I have so much respect for the Brann players. They showed what being in this competition should mean to every player, and were never in awe of the world class players they were playing against. Unfortunately for them, my side just have too much quality, but Helge Torsvik's side have so many positives to take away from their run in the tournament. I'm pleased that my side have got the job done, but they must realise that Arsenal represent a much bigger test."

roque_santa_cruz.jpg

Paraguayan marksman Roque Santa Cruz sealed a comfortable win for the German giants.

Friday 25th July 2008, at 8pm, represents make-or-break time in Bayern Munich's future and Tom Mills' management career. In front of nearly 70,000 Bavarian fans, the German giants will take on Arsenal in the Quarter Final of the SMFA Champions Cup. A win could supply Bayern Munich with the momentum needed to go all the way. Losing could spell the end of Bayern's reputation as a European giant - the end of an era. "This is our year", is Tom Mills' promise to all Bayern fans...

392_1194048258.gif

Borussia Dortmund tonight made it into the 1/4 final of the champs cup by beating Juventus 3-2.

The team waiting to face us is no other than Tebs array of superstars Spartak Moskva.

Bookies already have the odds out, Borussia Dortmund 20/1 Spartak Moskva 1/7 and the draw 6/1.

The 1/4 final champs cup game is sandwiched in the middle of the final of the German Cup and the final of the German Shield.

SoP said "I'm delighted for the fans, board and the cup side, to reach two finals again in the same season and to get to the 1/4 finals of the champs cup. This makes up for our woefull league form at present which sees us in 6th place and out of European league placements at present with our route to the champs shield next season possibly coming from a national cup win."

SPARTAK DOMINATE AGAINST SPANISH GIANTS

Spartak boss Teb answered his critics in a style with a comfortable win against Real Madrid.

Spartak dominated play from the off, and took the lead through a Hleb goal in the 24th minute after Casillas blocked a powerful shot but failed to clear his lines.

Real equalised against the tide of play through Higuain, who was a surprise starter ahead of Raul and Berbatov, but goals from Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Kevin Kuranyi late in the game gave the deserved result.

Teb was calm about the victory:

"I was pleased with the win. We have Makelele and Ibrahimovic out through injury at the moment, and that doesn't help at a busy time of year. The squad showed their desire to win this game though and I am proud to defeat one of the most talented young teams in the world. Nothing other than a win in the final means anything in this competition now though, so it is too soon to talk about winning the trophy."

Spartak will face a stern test against an accomplished Borussia Dortmund side and manager. Spartak will be hoping that the pressure on Borussia to achieve domestic success will limit their focus on the SMFA Cup.

newcastle.jpg

Toon Army Scrape Through Arsenal Test!

Newcastle battled their way past a very strong Arsenal side tonight, with captain Emre, and Scott Mcdonald scoring in the 9th and 15th minutes respectively. Arsenal pulled one back in the 40th minute, but never really threatened after that.

The win was a surprise to Samra: "Facing the likes of Henry, Toure, Rosicky, Joaquin (the goalscorer) and Boruc, I thought we would've struggled, but the lads did extremely well, and the crowd were behind us, and we came out of this game with what we deserved!"

Newcastle are still one point behind league leaders Manchester United, and Samra knows it will be hard to keep up with them as soon as their Champions League campaign is over: "We need them to slip up a few times now, and then let us have an advantage, otherwise there is no doubt that they will win the title."

Valencia present new leader with big money

In the late hours of last night Valencia CF decided to part ways with their previous manager and pass on the job to Felix Haigh. He was tempted to the job by the large funds they had to offer as well as the challenge he knew he would be facing with a star-stricken team in a tough league. The board are hoping that in Haigh they have found a solid and reliable manager who will stay with the club for many seasons to come.

In his first interview inside the Mestalla, he had this to say about what he hopes to do with the club:

"I have been given a very substantial pot of money and with this i hope, with some help from other managers, to bring the quality to Valencia that they deserve. We currently lie 14th in La Liga and by the end of the season a top half finish is a must; this has been made clear to me. Of course, Europe next season would be great but getting carried away is the last thing we need at this moment in time. I just hope i can bring some pride back to the city."

Things are certainly looking up for Los Ches and as long as Haigh can use his budget to bring in some decent signings the possibilities for this team are endless. :)

75_1202128533.gif

Stokes manager gadga wants there good form of latley to keep going as at the moment they find themselves in 7th spot and play birmingham on wednesday whom are 6th and 1 point above the potters, we have done well this season as when i took over we was in the relegation zone the lads have worked hard to get themselves in a good position, iof we can keep our run going then we could find ourselves in a smfa championship next season. Gadga aslo told the press that they have signed leftback/winger Tadaaki Hirakawa from Urawa Red Diamonds.

10401_1216020276.jpg

HIRAKAWA signs for the potters.

I've been watching the japanese leftback for a while now and decided that it was time to sign the lad, as he can play in two roles that gives me more option down the left.

After a disappointing start to the week with the mixture of reserves and tired first teamers losing 2-1 to Newcastle on Saturday, a full reserve side (except from Boruc ;)) bounced back tonight with a 2-0 win over Bolton with goals from David Villa and David Quiroz.

Arsenal have taken the risky option of using first team for Europe and reserves for the league at this stage of the season and now head into Friday's Quarter Final with Bayern with a full strength first team except from the injured duo of Andres D'Alessandro and Robin Van Persie.

George has admitted that facing Bayern is a huge task and will be anything but easy but knows that anything can happen on the day.

Penalty win sets up Semi with Spartak

Arsenal booked their place in the Semi Finals of the Champions Cup with a victory on penalties over Bayern at the Allianz Arena. Both teams fielded strong sides and it was the visitors who took the lead in the 33rd minute, Robin Van Persie lashing home from 15 yards.

Lionel Messi grabbed an equaliser in the 2nd half though when he found himself in yards of space.

The game went to penalties and it was Arsenal who came out on top, 4-2.

The win sets up a semi final away to Teb's Spartak Moscow.

After the game George admitted it was a shock win, saying "We went into the game with confidence but not entirely expecting a win, we knew it would be tough. We may of dominated the game but Bayern played well, we had plenty of shots but their defence were playing good. Penalties are just a lottery, everyone knows that, it's a very tough way to go out and we're just glad it wasn't us. Good luck to Bayern for the rest of the league campaign.

The Semi Final against Spartak is what I dreaded, it's going to be extremely tough but we'll give it our best which is what we've done tonight.

We now start an extremely busy week, 3 league games as well as an English Shield semi final and the Champions Cup game. Hopefully we stay clear of injuries! "

Draw:

Spartak Moskva - ARSENAL

Derby County - Werder Bremen

ANOTHER EXCITING NIGHT IN GC1!

Werder Bremen 7 - 5 Milan

Bayern Munchen 1 - 1(p) Arsenal

Manchester United 2 - 3 Derby County

SPARTAK MOSKVA 4 - 2 Borussia Dortmund

Result of the night must have been the goal fest at Werder Bremen. Milan will not have expected to lose a game having scored 5 goals away from home... but Werder stunned them with a 7 goal haul.

Two time defending SMFA Cup champions Man Utd lost to Derby in the surprise result of the night. The all English quarter final was expected to be a breeze for Man Utd, but Derby once again showed what good organisation and management can do for a club even at a top level.

Derby and Werder face one another in the semi final, and one will progress to face either Arsenal or Spartak Moskva.

Arsenal, as reported already, emerged as narrow winners with only a penalty separating them in the end from Bayern Munich, despite a dominant display from the eventual winners. The defeat will be particularly bitter pill for Bayern to swallow after their manager was recently quoted as saying this would be their year in the SMFA cup.

In an open game against Borussia Dortmund that saw no less than 35 shots on target in the game, a near full strength Spartak showed the greater killer instinct and won the game 4-2. The home side edged possession and shots and will be looking to make their second final in 3 years.

DEFEAT ANGERS STOKE BOSS

Gadga was left angry after he watched his stoke side get trounced 4-0 by spurs at white hart lane, stoke eyeing up a place in the smfa shield never troubled a spurs side who are below them, manager gadga claimed that was not good enough and the lads know that, they have to compete at this level, and they also know that there will be changes for the next match, ino they was in shock to see striker fuller leave the club, but that is no excuse to give up on the pitch..

With the stars rested after Friday's European game Arsenal's reserves came from behind at The Valley to defeat Charlton Athletic 3-1.

A Sergio Galvan header had given the home side a lead in the 9th minute but a curling shot from David Villa soon had Arsenal level. Frank Guela then put the Gunners in the lead for the first time with 39 minutes gone. Arsenal had plenty of chances to finish the game off in the 2nd half and eventually did so in the 75th minute when Villa took advantage of a fumble by the keeper.

Arsenal stay in 5th and remain 2 points behind 4th placed Derby County.

Up next for Arsenal is the English Shield Semi Final away to Sheffield United, the likes of Thierry Henry and Frank Lampard are expected to play before being rested once again on Wednesday.

Guest Lubos Kalouda

El Hadji Diouf has made the move to the scum and i dont want him in my team no more :D Player Exchange only PM me if you are interested.

SPARTAK MEET RIVALS DYNAMO

spartak.jpg

Tonight's big game in the Russian & Ukraine league saw league leaders Spartak Moskva travel to rivals Dynamo Kiev, in 2nd place. The match was a must win for the home side, who trailed Spartak by 9 points with 11 games to go.

Looking ahead to their Friday night SMFA Cup semi-final, Spartak gambled and played a second string side and despite taking the lead in the 31st minute through Elmander (who has been in terrific form with 21 goals in 12 starts, and an AVP of 9.5) had to weather a good deal of pressure in the first half. Indeed, Dynamo equalised shortly after Elmander's goal to send them in level at half time.

Dynamo came out in the second half looking to make the most of their momentum, but Spartak's gameplan was spot on, as they soaked up the pressure and took almost total control of the game, leaving Dynamo to fritter away numerous shots from long distance and punishing the home side on the break. It was Elmander who scored again midway through the second half to make it 2-1, and Dynamo only suffered more as they pushed up more to equalise only to become increasingly more exposed on the counter attack.

3 goals in 6 minutes buried Dynamo, and saw Spartak 1-5 to the good. Keita scored late on for Spartak, and Dynamo got one back, but Spartak ran out deserving 6-2 away winners.

The defeat will be a shattering blow for Dynamo. Having already been battered 5-2 by Spartak in the reverse fixture, their fans will not be pleased at conceding 11 goals in 2 games to their rivals. Spartak now sit 12 points ahead with 10 games to go, and some bookies are claiming they have effectively wrapped up the league title already.

With only two defeats in 44 games this season, and undefeated in the league since the fourth game of the season, Spartak will be hoping that their form can extend to the European stage where they expect to face much sterner opposition in England's Arsenal.

261_1204882811.gif Saturn 3 - 4 Shakhtar Donetsk 348_1206166364.gif

Shakhtar maintained their 100% record under manager Mr. Nice Guy with their 9th straight win since he took control, extending the club's winning streak to 12 games, and their unbeaten run to 18! This superb form has seen Shaktar draw level on points with 2nd place Dynamo Kyiv, and with 9 games to go the pressure is on for the second Champions Cup spot, although Dynamo have a far superior goal difference which could prove crucial.

A brace from Sanli Tuncay and a tap in from Jeronimo Cacau gave Shakhtar a 3-0 first half lead. However Gaston Maxi Lopez reduced the defecit to 3-1 4 minutes after the break for Dynamo, and a brace from Fernando Morientes drew the teams level at 3-3 with just over an hour gone in the game. Shakhtar then turned it back up a gear, and Dario Srna sealed the 4-3 victory with just 7minutes to go in the game.

393_1190839464.gif

91_front_small.gif5_front_small.gif

Monchengladbach season update:

After a poor start to the season Monchengladbach finally look to have found some consistency in their results and have crept up to 6th in the Bundesliga, just on place off the SMFA Shield places which manager Winston wants.

There are still things to work on but on the whole the Welsh manager is satisfied with his teams performances. With a good push from now until the end of the season it might just be enough to guaranty SMFA Shield qualification.

Winston led the team to the SMFA Shield quarter final this season where they lost narrowly on penalties which shows that the team are capable of doing well.

Some key results:

Werder Bremen 5 - 3 B.Monchengladbach

Winston's good friend Danny Williams is really making Bremen a strong force as they seem too good for the rest. A good performance from Monchengladbach but they were just not good enough.

Bayer Leverkusen 1 - 4 B.Monchengladbach

A great performance from John Carew inspired Winston's men to a convincing win.

FC Schalke 1 - 2 B.Monchengladbach

Asamoah Gyan, on loan from Porto, grabbed both goals which saw Winston's men pick up a great victory.

B.Monchengladbach 1 - 5 B. Dortmund

Both teams went into the game in good form so its surprising that the scoreline was like this. All of Dortmund's 5 shots on target found the net which was disappointing but on the whole it was not a bad peformance. Well done Simon.

Star player of the season so far:

2663_1210762208.jpg

David Di Michelle

If he stays fit then he will be a key part of any success. He has scored 21 goals in the 25 appearances he has made but injuries have plagued him slightly.

SMFA Champions Cup Final Preview

Friday 8th August - Arsenal vs. Derby County

0,,10268~3123463,00.jpg

The two sides meet at Wembley tomorrow night for an all English final after Arsenal defeated Spartak Moscow and Derby beat Werder Bremen in the semi's.

Both teams risked their league position on Wednesday by playing weakened sides, Derby getting a point away to Stoke City with Arsenal comfortably beating Nottingham Forest 3-0.

Road to Wembley!

Derby County:

Derby were drawn in Group A along with Manchester United, Villarreal and Elfsborg.

Fixture 1: Derby 1-0 Villarreal

Fixture 2: Manchester United 5-3 Derby

Fixture 3: Derby 3-0 Elfsborg

Fixture 4: Villarreal 0-3 Derby

Fixture 5: Derby 2-4 Manchester United

Fixture 6: Elfsborg 0-5 Derby

1 Manchester United 6 5 1 0 23 10 13 16

2 Derby County 6 4 0 2 17 9 8 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Villarreal 6 1 1 4 14 15 -1 4

4 Elfsborg 6 0 2 4 4 24 -20 2

Knockout Stage: Barcelona 0-2 Derby

Quarter Final: Manchester United 2-3 Derby

Semi Final: Derby 2-1 Werder Bremen

Arsenal:

Arsenal were drawn in Group H along with Chelsea, Sao Paulo and Rangers.

Fixture 1: Arsenal 1-0 Sao Paulo

Fixture 2: Rangers 0-3 Arsenal

Fixture 3: Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea

Fixture 4: Sao Paulo 3-1 Arsenal

Fixture 5: Arsenal 2-1 Rangers

Fixture 6: Chelsea 2-2 Arsenal

1 ARSENAL 6 4 1 1 10 6 4 13

2 Chelsea 6 3 2 1 10 8 2 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 São Paulo 6 2 1 3 15 12 3 7

4 Rangers 6 1 0 5 5 14 -9 3

Knockout Stage: Arsenal 3-1 FC Porto

Quarter Final: Bayern Munchen 1-1 Arsenal (Arsenal win 4-2 on penalties)

Semi Final: Spartak Moskva 0-2 Arsenal