Gold Championship 1 News

Re: Gold Championship 1 News

Thanks for your nice post Stifler.

And regarding Spartak' date=' [b']i am certainly not one who hates Spartak[/b]. Quite the opposite, i enjoy the fact that there is a team that i can't catch up to within the next year. Having a team in the setup that is so far ahead just makes the challenge more interesting.

I am :D, only because of the 90+ points total he pulls out pretty much every season :o

I am willing to listen to offers for Lass (92), Cana (90), Wiese (90), Sessegnon (90), Brandao (89), Acquafresca (88), Tuncay (88), Konchesky (88) and others if anyone is interested in any of them...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted Images

And regarding Spartak' date=' i am certainly not one who hates Spartak. Quite the opposite, i enjoy the fact that there is a team that i can't catch up to within the next year. Having a team in the setup that is so far ahead just makes the challenge more interesting.[/quote']
I am :D' date=' only because of the 90+ points total he pulls out pretty much every season :o[/quote']
It is a bit frustrating but like every job you have to make the best of it. You started off with an average an fair play to you for getting that.

Roma manager is a fool. Ever heard the expression "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"? I'd recall Valdes and see how he gets on.

You should.:)

Haha competing with Teb's Spartak was the only reason for me taking Torpedo' date=' tried to give him some competition, but I think i failed so far.:( I will always wonder how did a average GC side (from the beginning) become so good, and how all but the best standard sides are worse than it.[/quote']

Thanks for the comments, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning.

I don't mind the Roma manager saying what he thinks, I am just disappointed he actually thinks as he does!

I enjoy this gameworld the most despite the nagging guilt on my back. :)

Thanks for the comments' date=' I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning.

I don't mind the Roma manager saying what he thinks, I am just disappointed he actually thinks as he does!

I enjoy this gameworld the most despite the nagging guilt on my back. :)[/quote']

At the end of the day, it's just plain envy at a quite truly incredible squad.

Checking over the history of the squad, with honurs etc. You have done quite an amazing job in building the squad you have.

And you loan out many players, so it isn't like you are completely "hogging" players.

Keep up the good work.

Joe at Norwich ;)

Thanks for the comments' date=' I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning.

I enjoy this gameworld the most despite the nagging guilt on my back. :)[/quote']

I read his article the last day and I was like, but sure this is the game? Managers can sell them if they want and not sell them if they want :P

Anyway as the lads were saying, its just plain envy. In HSV News:

Somehow, Hamburg beat Benfica 2-1 away and progress to the 4th round of the SMFA Shield. Not sure how as the team I field is something like 85 average and 31 average age lol

Main teams season is going ok, pushing for SMFA Champ cup places.

Drawn with Liverpool in the last 16 match of the SMFA Cup.

Here's the Draw.

(ITA) Milan - Boca Juniors (ARG)

(ITA) Lazio - Borussia Dortmund (GER)

(UKR) Shakhtar - Newcastle United (ENG)

(POR) FC Porto - Lyon (FRA)

(POR) Sporting CP - Fiorentina (ITA)

(SPA) Bracelona - Liverpool (ENG)

(BEL) KRC Genk - Internazionale (ITA)

(RUS) Spartak Moskva - Sparta Praha (CZE)

Pretty disappointed to be the only Spanish team left. Italy look impressive with all four teams progressing.

I just wanted to add my thoughts following the group stages of the SMFA Cup and re-ignite the debate which league may be the strongest :) So here we go:

First I looked at number of teams a league had during the group stages and how many of them qualified. As mentioned Italy had a 100% record with all four teams qualifiying. But so did Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean - they only had two teams each but both won their groups to also earn them a 100% record.

Two leagues (Scotland and Scandinavia) did not have any of their two participants qualify for the knock-out stages. However' date=' also punching below their weight were [b']Spain[/b] (Barcelona the only team out of five qualifying) but also Germany (only Dortmund went through out of three teams).

But then I wanted to become more granular. So I thought if a team finishes first of the group I give the country three points, two points for second, one point for third place and no points for finishing last. Then I calculated the maximum number of points a league could have achieved (adjusting for those groups were a country had two teams who obviously could not finish both in first place). And then calculate a % of points a league achieved compared to the maximum possible. And the result was the following:

Both Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean did actually best during the knock-out stages - each of their participants finished top of their group resulting in 6 out of 6 points i.e. 100%. So I used as a tie breaker the total points both teams actually accumulated due to their group results - and there Eastern Europe came out on top with 28 points gained by Spartak Moscow and Shakthar vs. 22 points gained by Porto and Sporting.

Italy on the other hand "only" got 10 out of 11 points possible (or 91%) due to Fiorentina finishing second in their group behind Porto.

In 4th an unexpected Holland & Belgium received 4 out of 6 possible (or 67%) due to Genk winning their group and Brugge coming in 3rd. Only then followed England in 5th with 6 points out of 11 (or 55%).

At the other end of the spectrum Scandinavia had both teams finishing last in their group - so no points out of a possible 6 points meant 0% or the worst league under this methodology.

Second worst was actually Germany with only 2 out of 9 possible points (or 22%, only Dortmund finished 2nd, both other teams finished last in their groups).

Spain was only marginally better with 4 out of 15 points (or 27%) thanks to Barcelona winning the group and Salamanca in 3rd while all three other teams from Spain finished last).

While Scotland did not have any teams qualifying for the knock-out stage both teams came in third in their groups resulting in 2 out of 6 points (or 33%).

The remaining leagues Central Europe, Latin America and France each had a team qualifying and one missing out in 3rd place so they ranked in the middle of the pack under both methodologies.

The above is obviously only a snapshot of one season in the SMFA Cup. However, the results from the current season would argue in my view for more SMFA Cup spots for Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean at the expense of Spain and Germany...

I just wanted to add my thoughts following the group stages of the SMFA Cup and re-ignite the debate which league may be the strongest :) So here we go:

First I looked at number of teams a league had during the group stages and how many of them qualified. As mentioned Italy had a 100% record with all four teams qualifiying. But so did Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean - they only had two teams each but both won their groups to also earn them a 100% record.

Two leagues (Scotland and Scandinavia) did not have any of their two participants qualify for the knock-out stages. However' date=' also punching below their weight were [b']Spain[/b] (Barcelona the only team out of five qualifying) but also Germany (only Dortmund went through out of three teams).

But then I wanted to become more granular. So I thought if a team finishes first of the group I give the country three points, two points for second, one point for third place and no points for finishing last. Then I calculated the maximum number of points a league could have achieved (adjusting for those groups were a country had two teams who obviously could not finish both in first place). And then calculate a % of points a league achieved compared to the maximum possible. And the result was the following:

Both Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean did actually best during the knock-out stages - each of their participants finished top of their group resulting in 6 out of 6 points i.e. 100%. So I used as a tie breaker the total points both teams actually accumulated due to their group results - and there Eastern Europe came out on top with 28 points gained by Spartak Moscow and Shakthar vs. 22 points gained by Porto and Sporting.

Italy on the other hand "only" got 10 out of 11 points possible (or 91%) due to Fiorentina finishing second in their group behind Porto.

In 4th an unexpected Holland & Belgium received 4 out of 6 possible (or 67%) due to Genk winning their group and Brugge coming in 3rd. Only then followed England in 5th with 6 points out of 11 (or 55%).

At the other end of the spectrum Scandinavia had both teams finishing last in their group - so no points out of a possible 6 points meant 0% or the worst league under this methodology.

Second worst was actually Germany with only 2 out of 9 possible points (or 22%, only Dortmund finished 2nd, both other teams finished last in their groups).

Spain was only marginally better with 4 out of 15 points (or 27%) thanks to Barcelona winning the group and Salamanca in 3rd while all three other teams from Spain finished last).

While Scotland did not have any teams qualifying for the knock-out stage both teams came in third in their groups resulting in 2 out of 6 points (or 33%).

The remaining leagues Central Europe, Latin America and France each had a team qualifying and one missing out in 3rd place so they ranked in the middle of the pack under both methodologies.

The above is obviously only a snapshot of one season in the SMFA Cup. However, the results from the current season would argue in my view for more SMFA Cup spots for Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean at the expense of Spain and Germany...

While I know this will never get changed, I have to agree. Would love co-officents (sp?) to come into it

I posted something a whil back looking at this. See: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?p=1139611#post1139611

I posted something a whil back looking at this. See: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?p=1139611#post1139611

I remember your post well and that is the debate I mentioned I wanted to re-ignite :)

While the English league looked impressive in that table the performance has clearly been helped by the high number of teams qualifiying for the international cups each season which gives them increased chances to win something.

However, adjusted for that factor I would still argue that recently in the SMFA Cup England has been punching "below their weight" :)

I remember your post well and that is the debate I mentioned I wanted to re-ignite :)

I know' date=' it was just a subtle reminder for other less attentive forumers. ;)

While the English league looked impressive in that table the performance has clearly been helped by the high number of teams qualifiying for the international cups each season which gives them increased chances to win something.

However, adjusted for that factor I would still argue that recently in the SMFA Cup England has been punching "below their weight" :)

Recently. Like you say, basing the analysis on one season can warp the results somewhat. For example, perhaps the reason the English or German teams seemed to underperform was just because they happened to be up against strong teams this year? For example, in Chelsea's case they were drawn in a group with holders Newcastle and previous winners Barca, so it's not necessarily that they were bad, more that they faced good teams.

Also, I wonder how much domestic competition affects things? My experience suggests that English teams tend to play weaker teams in the English league just ahead of the SMFA competitions (my weaker Boro recently beat a weak Newcastle in such a game). Perhaps it's not the same in other leagues, Germany or Spain for example, whose managers could instead focus on their domestic leagues first.

While I know this will never get changed' date=' I have to agree. Would love co-officents (sp?) to come into it[/quote']

But I have to agree with Hans and Kez here and the suggestion that the qualifying formula could be tweaked based on past performaces of the respective leagues. Coefficients would add a great twist of reality, though given such calculations are weighted over many seasons the English teams would still get a high quota on account of the high number of past successes. It is kinda crazy though, I finished 12th last season and still qualified for the SMFA Shield! How can that be right?!

Sorry Hans but I've got to disagree with you regarding the end of English dominance in Europe. A statistical blip maybe, but I think the English will continue to punch at their considerable weight for some time now. Out of the 8 that remain in the SMFA Shield you have 2 x English (Derby & Boro), 2 x Germany (Hoffenheim & Hamburg), and 1 x French, Spanish, Italian, and yes Hans (lol! :rolleyes:), Danish (RC Lens, Zaragoza, Bari, & Brondby). Let's not write off the English just yet this season. :)

I know' date=' it was just a subtle reminder for other less attentive forumers. ;)

Recently. Like you say, basing the analysis on one season can warp the results somewhat. For example, perhaps the reason the English or German teams seemed to underperform was just because they happened to be up against strong teams this year? For example, in Chelsea's case they were drawn in a group with holders Newcastle and previous winners Barca, so it's not necessarily that they were bad, more that they faced good teams.

Also, I wonder how much domestic competition affects things? My experience suggests that English teams tend to play weaker teams in the English league just ahead of the SMFA competitions (my weaker Boro recently beat a weak Newcastle in such a game). Perhaps it's not the same in other leagues, Germany or Spain for example, whose managers could instead focus on their domestic leagues first.

But I have to agree with Hans and Kez here and the suggestion that the qualifying formula could be tweaked based on past performaces of the respective leagues. Coefficients would add a great twist of reality, though given such calculations are weighted over many seasons the English teams would still get a high quota on account of the high number of past successes. It is kinda crazy though, I finished 12th last season and still qualified for the SMFA Shield! How can that be right?!

Sorry Hans but I've got to disagree with you regarding the end of English dominance in Europe. A statistical blip maybe, but I think the English will continue to punch at their considerable weight for some time now. Out of the 8 that remain in the SMFA Shield you have 2 x English (Derby & Boro), 2 x Germany (Hoffenheim & Hamburg), and 1 x French, Spanish, Italian, and yes Hans (lol! :rolleyes:), Danish (RC Lens, Zaragoza, Bari, & Brondby). Let's not write off the English just yet this season. :)[/quote']

I'll do my best carrying the flag for Spain anywho. and btw, I'm the holders, not Newcastle ;)

Been away for a few days and just read through the last few pages of posts.

Teb - Yes I kind of did give fate a jab in pairing you with Sparta so sorry for that.

I love GC1 - the best set-up IMO. (although I was lucky to bag this Crvena Zvezda when I did - the previous guy did a great joB)

I have to agree with you. I'm very glad I didn't leave. Although I haven't done many transfers since arriving, there's something very interesting about this set-up that makes me like it.

Very tactical.

Results ridiculously late as per.

GC 1 as the oldest and best GC should get the results first; but SM have their priorities wrong as usual no thought of any loyalty to players that have been supporting the game for years!!!!!

It's not THAT big a deal. New GC's are the priority and always have been.

Transfers!

Sorry for the massive font, but this is urgent.

I will give Song and Bruno Cesar for a 90+ AM.

I will give Keirrison and Toloi for an 89+ Winger.

I'd prefer it if the players are under 30, but if they aren't it doesn't really matter.

Please get in contact if you have a player that fits the criteria, I'm desperate!

Transfers!

Sorry for the massive font, but this is urgent.

I will give Keirrison and Toloi for an 89+ Forward.

I'd prefer it if the players are under 30, but if they aren't it doesn't really matter.

Please get in contact if you have a player that fits the criteria, I'm desperate!

Thanks, Phill. (Napoli)

I really want an AM and a Winger!

I will give Giuliano and Toloi for a Winger with a rating of at least 88.

I'd prefer it if the players are under 30.

Please get in touch if you have a player that fits the criteria, I'm desperate!

Thanks, Phill. (Napoli)

Thank god you are talking about Spartak Nalchik, I thought I had lived to regret not checking my schedule for the evening for a minute. Checked my side in panic before seeing the white text. :)

Chin up Kuldeep it is still all to play for in the most hotly contested Russian & Ukraine league for years... now led by Lokomotiv Moskva! Who has a worse team on paper than most of us here, so hats off to him.

Very pleased how we are progressing down at Wrexham.

Having gone to the top of English Div4 after the previous game, Wrexham cemented that postition by setting a club record away win, 9-0 at Cheltenham.

Wrexham's talismanic Brazilian striker Fernandao scored five of them while Serbian winger Bojan Zajic bagged himself a hat-trick. Also very pleased to see recent loan signing Kostas Mitroglou picking up a hat-trick of assists. The lad has settled in nicely, thanks again to Kevin @ Barca for letting him come for a spell at the Racecourse.

Right then, I'll clear this up.

I will give Song and Bruno Cesar for an AM 25 or under, 90+.

I will give Giuliano and Toloi for a Winger 25 or under, 88+.

If I say no, I mean no. I might accept a player a year or two over if I think it would be a fair deal.

I might accept bids on Song of just an AM if good enough.

Song will rise to 91, so I'm not selling really cheaply.

EDIT: Sorry for the 3 posts up there, I've tried deleting them then they come back!