Gold Championship 1 News

Re: Gold Championship 1 News

On Jan. 8 Boca Juniors travelled to Argentine rivals Racing Club and returned beaten 4-2 which meant the title challenge was over with one league game to play for.

Goals by Basa (after 31mins) and Palacio (with his 12th league goal after89mins) were not sufficient to avoid defeat. Moreover, Enoh picked up a slight injury adding to the shortage among the first team squad. At the same time Chivas won 4-1 at home vs Sao Paulo ensuring they defended the league title they already won last season. This result moved Boca Juniors also up to 2nd in the league (and the last SMFA Cup place in Latin America) with one point ahead of Sao Paulo with one match to go. Given that 2nd place was the highest for Boca Juniors all season overall Chivas deserved the title as they played most consistently all season.

Then on Jan. 12 a crowd of 57,386 supporters visited La Bombonera as Boca Juniors hosted San Lorenzo for the final league game of the season. A win would secure SMFA Cup participation next season - and a 1-0 win was just sufficient to ensure qualification. The golden goal came from Juan Sebastian Veron after 30mins - his 16th of the season and the best ever in his GC1 career in his first season back in Argentina. The result meant that Boca Juniors finished on 79 points - five points behind Chivas and one point ahead of Sao Paulo in 3rd.

Then on Jan. 14 Boca Juniors hosted Chivas in the SMFA Cup semi final. In a thrilling match Boca Juniors won 4-3 to advance into the final. The goals came from Palacio (after 14mins), Veron (31mins), Santa Cruz (35mins) with the winning goal by substitute Leto after 74mins. Unfortunately, Milito picked up a red card after 81mins which means he will miss the final - against Racing Club on Jan. 18.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted Images

On Jan. 8 Boca Juniors travelled to Argentine rivals Racing Club and returned beaten 4-2 which meant the title challenge was over with one league game to play for.

Goals by Basa (after 31mins) and Palacio (with his 12th league goal after89mins) were not sufficient to avoid defeat. Moreover' date=' Enoh picked up a slight injury adding to the shortage among the first team squad. At the same time Chivas won 4-1 at home vs Sao Paulo ensuring they defended the league title they already won last season. This result moved Boca Juniors also up to 2nd in the league (and the last SMFA Cup place in Latin America) with one point ahead of Sao Paulo with one match to go. Given that 2nd place was the highest for Boca Juniors all season overall Chivas deserved the title as they played most consistently all season.

Then on Jan. 12 a crowd of 57,386 supporters visited La Bombonera as Boca Juniors hosted San Lorenzo for the final league game of the season. A win would secure SMFA Cup participation next season - and a 1-0 win was just sufficient to ensure qualification. The golden goal came from [b']Juan Sebastian Veron[/b] after 30mins - his 16th of the season and the best ever in his GC1 career in his first season back in Argentina. The result meant that Boca Juniors finished on 79 points - five points behind Chivas and one point ahead of Sao Paulo in 3rd.

Then on Jan. 14 Boca Juniors hosted Chivas in the SMFA Cup semi final. In a thrilling match Boca Juniors won 4-3 to advance into the final. The goals came from Palacio (after 14mins), Veron (31mins), Santa Cruz (35mins) with the winning goal by substitute Leto after 74mins. Unfortunately, Milito picked up a red card after 81mins which means he will miss the final - against Racing Club on Jan. 18.

You mean Latin America Cup Final, not SMFA Final. :P

My SMFA cup curse continues as I somehow crash to a 2-0 victory at home against Fiorentina to lose 4-3 on aggregate to the side whose manager has been on holiday for both ties.

No idea how this happened. There were some significant weaknesses in his side which I identified and tried to exploit, full strength side was also out.

Less than 30,000 people bothered to show up out of a 84k capacity, and I guess my players didn't bother showing up either. :mad:

Guess the fans will be blaming the manager....

My SMFA cup curse continues as I somehow crash to a 2-0 victory at home against Fiorentina to lose 4-3 on aggregate to the side whose manager has been on holiday for both ties.

No idea how this happened. There were some significant weaknesses in his side which I identified and tried to exploit' date=' full strength side was also out.

Less than 30,000 people bothered to show up out of a 84k capacity, and I guess my players didn't bother showing up either. :mad:

Guess the fans will be blaming the manager....[/quote']

:o

Unluck Teb, was rooting for you and it's a joke you went out. He'll likely come back from "holiday" with an SMFA Cup :rolleyes:

Boca Juniors secured the double by winning the Latin American Cup on Jan. 18 in addition to the Latin American Shield the team had already won earlier in the season.

Fellow Argentine club Racing Club were defeated 4-0 in the final with goals by Santa Cruz (in the 1st and 52nd minute), Enoh (after 28mins) and Palacio (71mins).

This was a successful end to an interesting campaign in which Boca Juniors also finished 2nd in the league (thus securing another SMFA Cup qualification for a third straight season) as well as making it to the knock-out stages of the SMFA Cup.

In the transfer market a surplus of over 25m was achieved led by the sale of some ageing stars including Carew, Delgado, Pardo or Pele who achieved almost 100m in proceeds. In came many youngsters with an average age of 20 to rebuild the team for the future.

Next season the goal will have to be to win the league again after finishing 2nd two seasons running.

We are all just jealous. :D Haven't been on much to post lately or I would have congratulated you sooner; well done.

Am pleased you beat Fiorentina anyway! Am still upset I lost to them in the semi-finals... I swear my team gets worse the stronger it gets. Not that I am bitter! :rolleyes::D

Any chance of some loans or cash transfers for new season? My Norwich are gonna get torn apart with thesquad I have at the moment

My word this GC is bad when it comes to cash offers. I can't wait until the Brazilian changes, half of my team will go. :D

I think I might make everyone in my team unavailable, that should solve the problem. I know it's small but it really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really gets on my nerves. :)

My word this GC is bad when it comes to cash offers. I can't wait until the Brazilian changes' date=' half of my team will go. :D

I think I might make everyone in my team unavailable, that should solve the problem. I know it's small but it really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really gets on my nerves. :)[/quote']

What team are you?