English Championship 7046 Discussion Thread

TheDuffman

Re: English Championship 7046 Discussion Thread

How typical of you Dan to be messing with yourself again...

EDIT: Let's face it' date=' we all know you are talking about you and the downplaying of your chances while talking up of others to put the pressure on ;)

Love this post. Has anyone ever done a top 10 or top 25 of the best 7046 players EVER by goals scored, assist, and player averages? Dammit, and why not the dirtiest players ever too (probably all Dirty Leeds - you ever checked out the Div 1 red card table, they're even worse than Boro!). Would love to see that. Who are the best 7046 players ever? Anyone any idea? Van Persie? Bale? Adabayour? If only Jooles were around to do something like this... :o[/quote']

Not at all, I downplay my chances as I am the typical 'will be in the top 4 Guy' like the last 4 seasons we have filled the 1, 2, 3 & 4 spots in no particular order, I do like a bit of mind games with rivals although there are not too many rivals that are vociferous enough to make the mind games worthwhile recently .

Best player would have to be Bale for his assists, not sure anybody will beat his 169 assists.

Jooles died years ago in a boating accident whilst big game fishing off of the gulf of St Lawrence...forget him and move on :(

R.I.P

Was he fishing for Big Game Mo??

He was decent in division 2 and 3 but look at the stats for him when he has played in the top flight' date=' pretty much pants and shows he is not a top flight player :)[/quote']

16 games with 9 goals and 5 assists for me this season is not to bad. Looking at his record he hasn't exactly been given much of a chance in division 1 until this season.

An overall record of 234(5) appearances, 163 goals, 111 assists and 54 MoM awards is not to be laughed at though

16 games with 9 goals and 5 assists for me this season is not to bad. Looking at his record he hasn't exactly been given much of a chance in division 1 until this season.

An overall record of 234(5) appearances' date=' 163 goals, 111 assists and 54 MoM awards is not to be laughed at though[/quote']

Here are his top flight numbers though:

16 9 5

8 1 3

10(2) 4 2

3 1 1

15(1) 6 2

3 0 1

Games (subs)55(3) Goals 21 Assists 14 Man of Match 4

He has a great overall record, without a doubt but in the top flight he is just above average.

Here are his top flight numbers though:

16 9 5

8 1 3

10(2) 4 2

3 1 1

15(1) 6 2

3 0 1

Games (subs)55(3) Goals 21 Assists 14 Man of Match 4

He has a great overall record' date=' without a doubt but in the top flight he is just above average.[/quote']

In relation to Jooles's post though he did say best player in 7046 ever and to compare Bale and Adebayor's stats, Adebayor is a country mile ahead in my eyes

In relation to Jooles's post though he did say best player in 7046 ever and to compare Bale and Adebayor's stats' date=' Adebayor is a country mile ahead in my eyes[/quote']

Fair do's.

Rooney is my top player, he has scored more than Adebayor, assisted more, got more man of the matches but he has played more, he is a Pool legend.

Tottenham beat Sunderland 4-2 on Saturday night, thanks to goals from Llorente, Bale, Soldado and Gerrard. Reus opened the scoring for Sunderland after just one minute, which had me thinking that we were going to concede a few more (shall we say), but luckily we managed to grind out four goals and pick up a great away win. Firmino was also on the score sheet for Sunderland.

Good game Raz, unlucky mate :)

P.S. I'd be willing to give the 'top 25 scorers' thing a go. I could try and implement assists and whatever else but I'll start off by doing the overall goal tally to date. It'll be a bit difficult with SM not allowing us to look at top scorer tables from previous seasons but there's a simple solution that will hopefully mean I don't miss anyone out who should be in the top 25 (going through the current top scorer tables and checking each players overall goals). I'll check out Pavyluchenko amongst others though too. Remember him, Shack? ;)

Edit: Can't believe Bale has that many assists!

P.S. I'll be going off league goals. Doing anything else could get a bit messy and may make me resort to pulling out my hair. We like it simple :)

Edit 2: Pavlyuchenko has 127 league goals!!!! Good job I checked.

Edit 3: I've finished doing the table using Excel but will probably delay posting it until the end of the season when figures for this season are finalised. It shouldn't be a problem updating it (if it needs updating, which it probably will - albeit ever so slightly probably). Assists and MOTM Awards have also been tallied, but only for those players in the top 25 goalscorers.

Just to keep you all playing a guessing game, there's a few names in the top 25 goalscorers that you wouldn't expect to be there ;)

I'm sure there would be a way to determine who is the best player to participate in 7046 to date, but this is a pretty big first step anyway.

I'll make a M/R next week.

In relation to Jooles's post though he did say best player in 7046 ever and to compare Bale and Adebayor's stats' date=' Adebayor is a country mile ahead in my eyes[/quote']Hard to judge given all the metrics. For me I would go for the highest average, which shows quality over time, but what price on goals, assists, etc? Would love to see a top 25 for each category but dang that's a lot of work!

A quick peak over the obvious stand-outs gives:

Roonery: Ave = 7.65; 71 MOTM out of 335 games for a 21% MOTM/game ratio

Van Persie: Ave = 7.66; 60 MOTM out of 296 games for a 20% MOTM/game ratio!

Adebayor: Ave = 7.78; 54 MOTM out of 234 games for a 23% MOTM/game ratio!

Ibrahimovic: Ave = 7.90; 58 MOTM out of 250 games for a 23% MOTM/game ratio!

1 MOTM every 5 games is crazy!

For comparison, Xavi, the world's former best player has: Ave: 7.40; 45/269 = 17% MOTM/game.

Just to keep you all playing a guessing game' date=' there's a few names in the top 25 goalscorers that you wouldn't expect to be there ;)

I'm sure there would be a way to determine who is the best player to participate in 7046 to date, but this is a pretty big first step anyway.

I'll make a M/R next week.[/quote']Can't wait to see what you come up with Ben! At least you'll produce something at the end of the season :P

Don't forget to add Casillas as top scoring goalie: 24 goals & 16 assists. Bet no-one can beat that :D

Jooles died years ago in a boating accident whilst big game fishing off of the gulf of St Lawrence...forget him and move on :(
That's tragic news. Must have been searching the depths for Sheff Utd's promotion hopes :( Does Fabregas know? Explains a lot about the ragged state of Boro these days those and why they're not running away with the title again :o

Loving the Div 1 title race BTW. Dare I say the most exciting ever? TBH would love for Neil to win it, that would be amazing. Sorry fella, with Liverpool & Man Utd I can't see it happening though but a win against Charlton could put you within touching distance and then you just never know...

Obviously Spurs vs. Swansea is huge. You'd think the winner of that game will run away with it, especially if other slip up. That said Swansea have stuttered and well we all know Ben's track history in the final furlong.

The same could be said of Chelsea vs. Fulham. The winner would be in with a great shout if Spurs/Swansea draw. Chelsea obviously have a very tricky tie against Boro, their 3rd meeting in a week or so, and we all know the tragic story of Dom and his failure year after year after year after year so not really much hope there.

That would leave Liverpool maybe sitting pretty with what on paper look relatively easy games (for title wannabies) vs. Carlisle, WBA & Bolton. Impressive of late Man Utd lurk dangerously but unless everyone else capitulates, which could still happen, you have to say it's too little too late.

So in summary? The winner of Spurs vs. Swansea should walk away with the title. My bet is if this is Spurs they will regain the title, but Swansea have looked too nervous and will likely blow it. That'll leave it to Chelsea, if they can beat Fulham, and Liverpool to battle it out should the top 2 slip. You've gotta favour the reigning champions to push hard given their fixtures. Fulham, Bolton & Man Utd as an outside punt. Everton to go down...

Wow this thread hasn't seen this much action since my last birthday.. (Joke for the older crowd there)

Pleasure as always to see your twice annual suck it shack post jooles lol I must admit the picture you included is pretty fitting giving the recent games against you (recent being about 7 seasons now ha :P)

That list of the 'best' strikers does sound like a cracking idea mind, surely Pav would bag a place on that list after his ridiculous efforts for me back in my Bristol days. I may have to look that up as it's been a while but he was immense that season.

The offers being fielded for Suarez at the moment are pretty week I'm going to be honest. Arguably the 4th best player on the planet so I'm more than happy to keep him if nothing worthy comes along.

Apart from beating raz to lift the title with dom right on my heels this is probably my biggest game in 7046 coming up on Wednesday. Typically had to be against my old team. Poses the question of is it better to win nothing and always lurk around the league like I dunno let's say dom... Or to win the ultimate prize and possibly get relegated. Il leave you all with that thought B)

EDIT - I see your doing the list Ben. I look forward to seeing it :P

Dembele is Walsall's stand out man over the years, spearheading a couple of promotions as well as single-handedly keeping us up in my 1st season back in Div 3. Average rating of 7.56 in 214 games, 107 goals, 81 assists and 29 MoM's. Not a bad record for a midfielder at all. Enough to ensure his legendary status and word has it Dembele has already been told he will end his playing days as Banks's Stadium.

Wow this thread hasn't seen this much action since my last birthday.. (Joke for the older crowd there)

Pleasure as always to see your twice annual suck it shack post jooles lol I must admit the picture you included is pretty fitting giving the recent games against you (recent being about 7 seasons now ha :P)

That list of the 'best' strikers does sound like a cracking idea mind' date=' surely Pav would bag a place on that list after his ridiculous efforts for me back in my Bristol days. I may have to look that up as it's been a while but he was immense that season.

The offers being fielded for Suarez at the moment are pretty week I'm going to be honest. Arguably the 4th best player on the planet so I'm more than happy to keep him if nothing worthy comes along.

Apart from beating raz to lift the title with dom right on my heels this is probably my biggest game in 7046 coming up on Wednesday. Typically had to be against my old team. Poses the question of is it better to win nothing and always lurk around the league like I dunno let's say dom... Or to win the ultimate prize and possibly get relegated. Il leave you all with that thought B)

EDIT - I see your doing the list Ben. I look forward to seeing it :P[/quote']

In terms of forwards Ive never had any forward scoring a mazy amount , Ive always had good forwards who work hard for the team but have scored good amount of goals. My best player has to be Pedro who was immense for me :) Higgy was well on the way tho.

Im surprised you saw any action on your birthday lol , I bet Suarez still hate ate more desert than you tho ;)

Im sorry I was having this again with Jooles last night , You have may won the title once and nothing can take that away your lucky git lol. But I still value a long term consistency and I actually have a great chance of winning the league soon enough while your in Division 2. Compare our squads Shack and our positions now and lets see who is the better man :) And Ill leave you on that :)

My deal for the RB starts today and I can exclusively reveal the RB is Matteo Darmian. He is a RB who has had a good season with Torino and his stock rose higher in the world Cup. Im delighted to have him and hes that younger Alternative to Juanfran. Im having to lose Vadillo for CV who I think is a cracking youngster but I have such a powerful midfield he was needed to sacrifice. Then I will buy Darmian for 8.5 million and sell Befodil for CV. Its a deal we are both happy with and my squad is looking great :D

Nice to see some action on the thread, I read it as this:

John-Adebayor will help send Everton down

Shack-I may be going down but at least I have won the title

Jooles-Please don't forget me, I know my squad is sh*t but at least I have won the title

Newman-Yes we choke alot but at least we have won the title

Dave-I have Onions to plant

Dom-One day I will win something :rolleyes:

Guest FallenAngel

My deal for the RB starts today and I can exclusively reveal the RB is Matteo Darmian. He is a RB who has had a good season with Torino and his stock rose higher in the world Cup. Im delighted to have him and hes that younger Alternative to Juanfran. Im having to lose Vadillo for CV who I think is a cracking youngster but I have such a powerful midfield he was needed to sacrifice. Then I will buy Darmian for 8.5 million and sell Befodil for CV. Its a deal we are both happy with and my squad is looking great :D

Wasn't looking to sell Darmian - but found it hard to resist the gamble on Vadillo.

In terms of forwards Ive never had any forward scoring a mazy amount ' date=' Ive always had good forwards who work hard for the team but have scored good amount of goals. My best player has to be Pedro who was immense for me :) Higgy was well on the way tho.

Im surprised you saw any action on your birthday lol , I bet Suarez still hate ate more desert than you tho ;)

Im sorry I was having this again with Jooles last night , You have may won the title once and nothing can take that away your lucky git lol. But I still value a long term consistency and I actually have a great chance of winning the league soon enough while your in Division 2. Compare our squads Shack and our positions now and lets see who is the better man :) And Ill leave you on that :)

My deal for the RB starts today and I can exclusively reveal the RB is Matteo Darmian. He is a RB who has had a good season with Torino and his stock rose higher in the world Cup. Im delighted to have him and hes that younger Alternative to Juanfran. Im having to lose Vadillo for CV who I think is a cracking youngster but I have such a powerful midfield he was needed to sacrifice. Then I will buy Darmian for 8.5 million and sell Befodil for CV. Its a deal we are both happy with and my squad is looking great :D[/quote']

Oh dom, dom, dom... you know what you remind me of? The token fat girl in with all the popular girls is school. Yeh sure you may get to go to all the parties and your always involved in the going on's with the cool kids. But lets be honest, nobody is taking you home. You'll spend the whole night in the corner doing nothing remotley improtant. Occasionaly you may get close to doing something of note then you brag about it for weeks on end about the time you almost did something, but that aside its like your not even there, just a part of the furniture.... quite a sad state of affairs really :(

(il take 10/10 for the creativity on that metaphore there thankyou :D)

Nice to see some action on the thread' date=' I read it as this:

John-Adebayor will help send Everton down

Shack-I may be going down but at least I have won the title

Jooles-Please don't forget me, I know my squad is sh*t but at least I have won the title

Newman-Yes we choke alot but at least we have won the title

Dave-I have Onions to plant

Dom-One day I will win something :rolleyes:[/quote']

Pretty efficent summary you've done there i might add :P

Not blowing my own players trumpet :rolleyes: but i don't think Adebayor has done too badly

Blowing your own trumpet? Correct me if I'm wrong here' date=' but wasn't Adebayor at another team when he was performing like this? The team name escapes me, Colchester, or Crewe, or something like that maybe....?[/font']

That would leave Liverpool maybe sitting pretty with what on paper look relatively easy games (for title wannabies) vs. Carlisle' date=' WBA & Bolton.

[/quote']

Easy game and Carlisle in the same sentence eh Jooles? So its going to be like that is it? Just wait till you bring your 75 rated pensioners up here, then we'll see who the easy game is...

Im sorry I was having this again with Jooles last night ' date=' You have may won the title once and nothing can take that away your lucky git lol.[/quote']It's true, me and Dom were having it last night :o

I guess the difference between Shack and me is that 2nd title. Lucky twice? I think not :) Oh, that and relegation for the Welsh fella. Aside from that me and Shack are basically like two peas in a pod. And I say 2nd title, but really I mean third. Shack has more than one division title to his name Dom too so more than luck for the big Welshman too ;)

Nice to see some action on the thread' date=' I read it as this:

[/quote']The funny thing is my squad always was sh*t. That's how we started and that's where we are now. We're just like when Keyser Söze says the greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Somehow I convinced some of you lot we were a force to be reckoned with and crazily some of you believed it, for our 2 championship winning seasons anyway! Oh, oops, I mean 3. B)

Oh dom' date=' dom, dom... you know what you remind me of? The token fat girl in with all the popular girls is school.

(il take 10/10 for the creativity on that metaphore there thankyou :D)[/quote']Don't fat girls go like the clappers though and get banged once in a while? (or so they say :o) I think there your analogy falls down... :D

Funnily enough Dom said he would marry me last night (true! :eek:) so I'm not sure what that means :o

Easy game and Carlisle in the same sentence eh Jooles? So its going to be like that is it? Just wait till you bring your 75 rated pensioners up here' date=' then we'll see who the easy game is...[/font']

Sorry, my bad. I was talking purely from my own experience and 6 points this season. :o
Blowing your own trumpet? Correct me if I'm wrong here' date=' but wasn't Adebayor at another team when he was performing like this? The team name escapes me, Colchester, or Crewe, or something like that maybe....?[/font']
Lol, nice. I like what you did here. I think it could have been Colchester maybe?

A bit like old Shacky boy here who managed to twist the best player list into a best striker one so he has a chance... :rolleyes:

That list of the 'best' strikers does sound like a cracking idea mind' date=' surely Pav would bag a place on that list after his ridiculous efforts for me back in my Bristol days. I may have to look that up as it's been a while but he was immense that season.[/quote']

Nice to see the thread active again guys. Last week saw me manage my 250th game for Bournemouth, have loved my time here and have managed to build a really exciting squad whilst achieving a few things along the way. Having said all that, i am open to the idea of a new challenge now, so will be keeping my eye on potential vacancies, have no intention of leaving the setup, would just love a fresh challenge. :)

Having said all that' date=' i am open to the idea of a new challenge now, so will be keeping my eye on potential vacancies, have no intention of leaving the setup, would just love a fresh challenge. :)[/quote']I think that's Shack's feeling too. Having seen Mo's success he's probably thinking there's nothing like the new challenge of a promotion campaign... :)

With 3 games to go, the division 1 title. Who do you want to win it and who do you think will win it? I'll go first:

Want: I would LOVE for Neil @ Bolton to top out but instead I'm gonna plump for Ben at Spurs. He's come so close so often only to fall away at the last surely he deserves another one.

Think: Ben will blow it. As will the Treble, Hancock and of course Dom. It's going back to Anfield...

d3

Three games to go...and nothing in it at the top of div 3,

Ipswich, the leaders, seem to have an easiest run-in - facing up against a succession of lower-table, miserable, under-performing, wretched, open to bribery, "linked-with-Asian-betting syndicate" sides.

The bog-dwelling savages are also on a run of 4 straight wins - so it would take a major downturn in form for Manager Secasiu's team not to clinch an automatic pomotion slot and perhaps the title.

Look out for "unusual betting patterns"

Northampton sit second and have the hardest run in - facing 5th place Rotherham and 3rd place Man City in successive matches. The Cobblers led the table for most of the season but have faltered badly in recent weeks.

A combination of cruel injuries, scandalous refereeing decisions, incredible bad luck and Acts of God are behind the slump - with absolutely no blame being attached to their talented and surprisingly good-looking manager, the truly excellent Butcher of Montevideo.

One last gritty push is required from the men in maroon - and look out for a Churchillian response from "the gaffer" who simply does not know when he is beaten (until someone tells him)

Man City (hiss, boo) sit third - a point behind plucky Northampton.

City are the division's top scorers and are a walking advertisement for the need for Financial Fair Play to be implemented as soon as possible.

A line up which includes Ronaldo, Messi, Thomas Muller and Angel di Maria would normally be expected to p*ss a division like this one - yet young English manager Steve Thompson has contrived to make heavy weather of it - and makes a compelling case for why clubs should buy-in foreign managers - with little command of the language but possessing a fit girlfriend.

One feels that the Man City v Cobblers fixture might decide one of the promotion slots next week.

First though, the Arab billionaire's overpaid playthings face a trip to Yeovil - newly crowned FA Cup winners. Can Thompson hold his nerve? Let's hope not.

Norwich sit 4th on 62 points. I know very little about the team from Carrow Road - other than I hate them and hope they burn in hell spending an eternity suffering from crabs and continuously listening to Eurovision Song Contest entries.

Ruts has come with a strong late challenge but has still to face Birmingham and Rotherham in his final two matches.

That's if the Canaries get past Rochdale tonight in what looks to be a nailed-on home banker. Surely Ruts can't cock it up from such a commanding position?

Or can he?

Rotherham lie 5th - and could play a major part in deciding who goes up (including themselves).

Stewart Lauder's team are 7 points off the lead - so need a minor miracle to have a tilt at the title. Still, let's not forget that only 2,000 years ago a young Israeli international, J.Christ, managed to turn a loaf of Hovis and a can of tuna into a three course meal for 5,000 - so anything is possible.

No one outside the teams mentioned above is important or has anything remotely interesting about them.

Just to keep you all playing a guessing game' date=' there's a few names in the top 25 goalscorers that you wouldn't expect to be there ;)

I'll make a M/R next week.[/quote']

Hopefully Huntelaar sneaks into the top 25 with 126 goals- 118 assists and 51 MOTM's