English Championship 7046 Discussion Thread

TheDuffman

Re: English Championship 7046 Discussion Thread

Wigan Athletic slumped to a 3 - 2 defeat to Portsmouth in their Division 2 fixture.

Florenzi and Muriel were amongst the goalscorers.

Only light in the tunnel is that Florenzi and Muriel are continuing to put up points.

Florenzi with 2 goals and 7 assists in 8 games and Muriel with 3 goals and 1 assist in 4 games :)

ec7046millwallbanner.jpg

MILLWALL 3 HULL CITY 2

Millwall came from 2-0 down to take all 3 points.

NAISMITH 54 mins

ANDERSON 58 mins & 88mins.

BRUNO ALVES played his debut tonight and played well.

• MENDES TIAGO signed earlier today but he was rested due to NMF enough.

PETERBOROUGH UNITED 3 - 1 CARDIFF CITY

giacomo-bonaventura-atalanta.jpg

Giacomo Bonaventura scored the only goal for Cardiff

After ending a 2 game losing slump by defeating Chesterfield in the FA Cup 1-0 from a Nathan Dyer goal, Peterborough United continued their form with a dominant performance over a Cardiff City plagued by fitness concerns.

From the get-go, it seemed as though Peterborough had control of the match, dominating possession and chance creation, but this might have been due to the tireless playing of Cardiff's Starting 11 for a numerous amount of matches in a row.

In the 22nd minute, Anthony Modeste kickstarted the match with a goal after receiving the ball from Nicolai Boliesen, who was given his 2nd start of the season in the League.

However, it did not take long for Cardiff to answer, and only 14 minutes later, Giacomo Bonaventura, a player that Peterborough monitored for a while, replied with a powerful free kick just outside the box that skimmed the post as it went past Sergio Romero.

Yet just before halftime, Liverpool's on-loan player, Junior Malanda, managed to score from a set piece of Peterborough's, after a harsh foul by the Cardiff right-back Conserva Fagner. Peterborough's free kick taker, Julian Schuster immediately seized the opportunity, crossing it perfectly into the head of Malanda, who took his chance and scored his 1st goal of the season.

After the managers gave their halftime speeches, it seemed as though Peterborough was the clearly more motivated and confident side.

This was proven when two players who had contributed to Peterborough's first 2 goals combined forces to score another goal to the delight of the fans at London Road. Julian Schuster, assisted by Anthony Modeste, managed to send a screamer past Mariano Andujar and into the top-right corner of the net.

Afterwards, the action quieted down and it seemed as though Cardiff might have started gaining a small grip on the game, but it was too little too late.

The next match for Peterborough will be against last placed Stockport. This is a great opportunity for the Posh to catch ground on the playoff positions.

Junior-Malanda.jpg

Junior Malanda scored the game winning goal for the Posh in the 43th minute

Aldershot Town slumped to a 2 - 1 defeat against Newcastle United in their Division 3 fixture.

Sow scored the only goal for Aldershot Town and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

First loss of the season for Aldershot, putting an end to a great run of 14 matches unbeaten started last season. :( I kinda feel hard done here, we faced a very high rated team yes, but also a very tired team, most players were NMF... And i was also confident that i had the right tactic to beat them. Match engine worked differently tonight unfortunately... Still, we made 22(!) shots against Newcastle's 7 shots, even though they had a little bit more possession (54% vs 46%), i believe a draw would have been much fairer at least...

Anyway, this day would always come, we will lose more matches this season, but now it's very important to return to winning ways in our next match! We're still Division 3 leaders! And we wont break easily. #Let'sgoShots!

Sorry for not posting recently. I've been quite busy and only really get on to SM to set tactics.

Anyway, in typical fashion, we've done very well whilst I've not been posting. To save an awful lot of time, I'll just post our results since I last posted in here (our defeat against Watford at the end of January).

Division One: Bury [H] - 1-0

English Shield Round 1: Burton [A] - 3-1

SMFA Champions Cup: PSG [H] - 5-0

Division One: Swansea [A] - 2-0

Division One: Everton [H] - 2-1

English Cup Round 2: Burton Albion [H] - 2-0

SMFA Champions Cup: Athletic Club [A] - 3-1

Division One: West Bromwich Albion [A] - 1-1

Good games, everyone. Unlucky.

Very happy with that. It's good to see that the internal market is still producing quite a few deals too :)

PETERBOROUGH UNITED - STOCKPORT COUNTY

9th placed Peterborough United take on last place Stockport County at Edgeley Park in a crucial early match for the Posh in which anything less than a win against a rather weak side would be a blow to their promotion hopes.

Stockport County are led by their star striker Scott Sinclair, purchased for 4.5million in the offseason, who has been out of form this season, only scoring 1 goal this season in 10 appearances, but this could be due to the lack of support that he is given by a very weak midfield that has not been strengthened by their manager, William Chen, perhaps due to financial difficulties. Additionally, their sloppy defense has allowed 28 goals already this season, an average of 2.8 per game! Additionally, Stockport has failed to gain a point in any of their last 5 games. The reality is, with a side like theirs, with the lack of depth or quality, that even placing in the top 18 would be somewhat of an accomplishment!

scott-sinclair-west-brom_3009683.jpg?20130925164325

Scott Sinclair will be expected to lead the attack for Stockport

Peterborough United are a side that has many contrasts to Stockport. They have a more stingy defense that has allowed 2x less goals this season, which features the likes of Dodo, Ashley Williams, and Martin Stranzl. Also in contrast to Stockport, Peterborough have a side that can challenge for promotion due to the numerous number of decent players within the first team squad, although the side is far from being a title contender, having no star players, that a Bournemouth have. Recently, Peterborough have seemed to pick up the form, with 2 solid victories against Chesterfield's 1st team in the FA Cup, and a rather strong (but not fit) Cardiff side in the League.

Allan, Peterborough's manager, has stated that he will rest some of his key first team players for this match, like Ashley Williams, Sebastian Rudy, and Anthony Modeste, and feature some promising youth, in Mexican international Alfonso Gonzalez, and heavily hyped midfielder Mohamed Besic, but will still not underestimate the power of the underdog.

Alfonso-Gonz%C3%A1lez.jpg

Promising Mexican international Alfonso Gonzalez will start for the first time this season for the Posh

I honestly couldnt be bothered to change the team today and we won 2-0 with 65% possession and Felliani is already proving more productive than Capoue :)

Up to second and playing extremely well and my best players are 100% fully rested :) Life is good but I did say this is as strong as we have ever been but lets see how it goes :)

Aldershot Town outclassed Birmingham City and beat them 1 - 0 in their Division 3 fixture.

Guilavogui scored the winner for Aldershot Town and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Such an important win tonight! For me, it would be vital to immediately return to winning ways after our first loss of the season to Newcastle, specially against one of our main rivals for promotion, Birmingham City. We played very well and fully deserved to win! Delighted :) I'm proud of my team, and now i'm really confident that we have what it takes to fight for promotion until the end of the season! Another week at the top of Division 3, cool. #Let'sgoShots!

Such an important win tonight! For me' date=' it would be vital to immediately return to winning ways after our first loss of the season to Newcastle, specially against one of our main rivals for promotion, Birmingham City. We played very well and fully deserved to win! Delighted :) I'm proud of my team, and now i'm really confident that we have what it takes to fight for promotion until the end of the season! Another week at the top of Division 3, cool. [b']#Let'sgoShots![/b]

Your lording it up at the top, great start to the season buddy.

TOP OF THE HEAP...

Northampton achieved its highest ever league position by going top of Div 2 with a deserved 2-1 victory over Burnley.

It might be a temporary stay though - we face 92 rated Man City away next, a team we've lost badly to in our previous 4 meetings.

Defence has been rock solid - the late Burnley strike being only the 4th we've let in all season.

The forwards are also beginning to get going - Rossi and Benteke on the mark, with Bony also having an effort ruled out for offside.

A very tough campaign still ahead of us and we've had awful collapses before - but the lads doing well, with 7 of them on the performance leaderboard after 11 rounds of matches.

Can't really complain with the results i've had at Chelsea so far this season. Scraped a few draws here and there when the stats have perhaps suggested the result should go the other way. Funny old game at times :rolleyes:

Next up is Burnley in the cup. Looking forward to giving some fringe players a run out.

Rochdale make it three wins in a row after beating Doncaster 2-1. Taison scored his first goal of the season to give us the lead, Ibisevic quickly equalised for Docaster. After the break Seydou Doumbia scored the winner. Only down side was an 89th minute second booking for Thomas Vermalen.

Move up to 8th, just a point off the play-offs :)

MILLWALL had a fine away win

TIAGO debut with 2 assists which was pleasing.

NILMAR - MOM - SCORED

ANDERSON SCORED

BENDTNER SCORED

Good team effort which we need to repeat on Saturday at home v Notts County to get on a decent run.

Leyton Orient outclassed Tranmere Rovers and thrashed them 5 - 0 in their English Shield Round 2 fixture.

Babacar scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Meunier and Kace were also amongst the goalscorers.

Knocked my old side out. :P