The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

Stuart H

england_flag_01.gif

'What's he doing, the league's just been reviewed?!' I hear you cry. Well, since SM did away with the scheduled review I reckon pulling a ratings thread together with a months notice could be a tall order so I thought I'd keep this running (a bit like the French thread) throughout the season, adding players to rise/drop as they perform. Hopefully helping me out will be MaoaM who did a very helpful and accurate PL appraisal last time and swanseajack who knows the lower leagues a bit better and whose ratings layout I'll be stealing :P

I'm also hoping to make this a little bit different from the other rating threads out there by adding Player Profiles. These will be posts similar to the scouting threads by Insider et al but about known players so less facts (these can easily be researched) and more opinions. I'll post an example in a little while so you get the idea and set up a post with links to the posts (you'll get the picture). As mentioned earlier I want to make this a bit like the French thread so we'll also have discussion on the transfers going on and the games as they happen. Pre-season's a great time to let some opinions fly around.

A couple of disclaimers in that I don't want people asking for player rating predictions until the season is well under way for the simple reason that it's not possible to give a good prediction. I'd also prefer if we didn't get a shed load of posts a la 'Why didn't Milner rise to 91?'. It spams the thread up and cuts away from what I hope will be interesting discussion.

Anyways, enjoy :)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

Player Profiles

If you want to create your own please feel free (try and make it interesting and informative) and you can message me and I'll add the link to this post :) I'm adding players alphabetically. If you think another method would be more appropriate then let me know :)

Team Profiles

I'd prefer these were left to Maoam, swanseajack and I as they're very susceptible to bias :o Feel free to comment on them though :)

Heres all the transfer action involving Premiership clubs. (Green = Signed, Red = Sold) Also these are only the major signings. I haven't done youth or players signed on loan, as they aren't important :)

Arsenal: In - Marouane Chamakh, Laurent Koscielny. Out - Eduardo, Philippe Senderos, Fran Merida

Aston Villa:

Birmingham: In - Ben Foster, Nikola Zigic, Enric Vallès. Out - Cristian Benitez, Gary McSheffrey

Blackburn Rovers: Out - Steven Reid

Blackpool: Out - Ben Burgess

Bolton Wanderers: In - Martin Petrov, Robbie Blake, Marcos Alonso

Chelsea: In - Yossi Benayoun. Out - Micheal Ballack, Joe Cole

Everton: In - Jermaine Beckford, João Silva, Jan Mucha. Out - Dan Gosling

Fulham: In - Philippe Senderos, Jonathan Greening. Out - Chris Smalling

Liverpool: In - Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic, Danny Wilson. Out - Yossi Benayoun, Alberto Riera, Mikel San Jose

Manchester City: In - Jerome Boateng, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Kolarov. Out - Martin Petrov, Valeri Bojinov

Manchester United: In - Javier Hernández, Chris Smalling. Out - Zoran Tosic, Ben Foster

Newcastle United: In - Dan Gosling, James Perch

Stoke City: Out - Ibrahima Sonko

Sunderland: In - Titus Bramble, Cristian Riveros, Simon Mignolet. Out - Lorik Cana, Daryl Murphy

Tottenham Hotspur: In - Sandro

West Brom: In - Gabriel Sebastian Tamas, Pablo Ibañez, Steven Reid. Out - Jonathan Greening

West Ham United: In - Thomas Hitzlsperger, Frederic Piquionne, Pablo Barrera.

Wigan Athletic: In - James McArthur, Antolín Alcaraz, Mauro Boselli. Out - Titus Bramble, Tomasz Cywka

Wolves: In - Stephen Hunt, Steven Mouyokolo, Steven Fletcher, Jelle Van Damme. Out - Chris Iwelumo

Please let me know if I have missed any, I did this very quickly :P

One of the players I'm most looking forward to watching play this season is Phil Jones, this season will be the making of him. Keep an eye out on his team mate Grant Hanley too. Also, expect Danny Wilson to impress, he's top.

Looking forward to this season 4th spot will be hotly contested i reckon 4 teams could all do it this season.

Looking forward to weather or not money can buy Man City the league, Silva im looking forward to see. If Rual comes to england too id lick to see who gets him IMO the relegation battel is already sorted out with two team i think are looking certian to drop

There's 3 players you should look out for from Birmingham.

1. Gary O'connor- Didn't play much last season but has scored in every Pre-season game so far. Looks like him and Zigic will be the prefered partenership.

2. Jordan Mutch- Has pefermed well in the Pre-season tour of Asia and was very good last season for Doncaster.

3. Enric Valles- Can't wait to see this guy. Came through Barcelona's youth academy and he's is 'In McCleish's Plans' for the coming season.

Hart Conditions

England+U21+v+France+U21+3c0sYy_tPNhl.jpg

Last season Hart was one of the best (if not the best) keepers in the league for a pretty average Birmingham team. This season he has a chance to really push on and become one of the most desirable players in SM but it depends on a lot of things. If things work out well I think he can become 2nd only to Lloris in terms of young keepers. Big shout I know but I'll stand by it. Anyway, what's up in the air?

Starts for Manchester City He's got a tough start in having to overcome seasoned PL superstar Shay Given. If he can get the #1 shirt at City he shouldn't have any problems in getting the #1 for England and could finish the season as high as 91.

Shares the spot with Given If both stay at City this is the likely outcome. Hopefully he can get a decent number of games across several competitions and still get the international jersey. In this situation I'd say he'd finish the campaign around 90.

Moves away from City Could be another loan or even (hopefully not) a permanent move. Really depends where he goes. If it's Arsenal then he could get to 91ish, a mid-table club and it'd be around the 90 mark. If he plays regularly he should still get the England job.

Bench warms at City Worst case scenario. Only real situation where I can't see him playing for England and could sit the season out at 89.

I'd suggest the 2nd option is most likely. I don't think Given will be moved on just yet and City have the games to have 2 first choice keepers. If it's any of the first 3 I'd well recommend signing him with any SM team. He has the potential to be one of the world's top 3 young goalies.

There's 3 players you should look out for from Birmingham.

1. Gary O'connor- Didn't play much last season but has scored in every Pre-season game so far. Looks like him and Zigic will be the prefered partenership.

2. Jordan Mutch- Has pefermed well in the Pre-season tour of Asia and was very good last season for Doncaster.

3. Enric Valles- Can't wait to see this guy. Came through Barcelona's youth academy and he's is 'In McCleish's Plans' for the coming season.

Alright mate im a city fan too, O'connor had a good pre-season tour but please lets not get ahead of our selfs last season befour his injury (thank god:rolleyes:) he was rubbish and IMO he will still be rubbish can not for the life of me see him making a impact Zigic will be a certian starter now and i cnt see Alex putting Gary Ahead of Jerome.

Valles long term re-placement for bowyer/ferguson. Wont start many game hell be used as a impact sub i reckon, Dont know alot about Mutch but did see some of him in china have to say looks promising great assist for gardener in one of the games.

Tom Bradshaw

article-1273312-09723892000005DC-897_468x333.jpg

Name: Thomas William Bradshaw

D.O.B: 27th July 1992 (Age 17)

Height: 5ft 8inc (1.73m)

Position: Forward

Squad No.:34

S/M Rating: 72

Tom Bradshaw was born in Shrewsbury, England in 1992. As a young boy he moved to Aberystwyth and played for the Aberystwyth Town youth team. In the 2008/09 season he made 9 appearances for the club scoring 2 goals.

This was enough for Shrewsbury to bring him back home. He was first named in the Shrewsbury Town squad on the 30th January 2010 in the 1-0 defeat to Accrington Stanely where he was an unused substitute. The next time he was named in the squad was on the 13th March in the 1-0 defeat to Rochdale where once again he was unused. He was also an unused substitute for a 1-0 defeat to League champions Notts County in Early April.

The following week he was once again named in the squad to face Crewe Alexandra. He came on in the 74th minute where he exploded onto the scence with a stunning striker. He then scored again and helped Shrewsbury to a 3-0 victory.

sAFVjjKJgVs

Bradshaw's goal against crewe from 5:31

Three days later against Cheltenham Town he was a late substitute again where he played the last 10 minutes. Four days later he was named as a substitue again against Lincoln City when he came on to play the last 27 minutes and the following week against Northhampton he came on on the 64the minute. On the 1st of May he came on the 32nd minute against Morcombe where he scored once and assisted another but this could not prevent shrewsbury from loosing 3-2. Earlier today he was given his first start against Port Vale where he played 90 minutes.

Tom has also scored in all of Shrewsbury's pre season games.

Gametime this season

32 minutes against Stoke (Carling Cup)

Hart Conditions

England+U21+v+France+U21+3c0sYy_tPNhl.jpg

Last season Hart was one of the best (if not the best) keepers in the league for a pretty average Birmingham team. This season he has a chance to really push on and become one of the most desirable players in SM but it depends on a lot of things. If things work out well I think he can become 2nd only to Lloris in terms of young keepers. Big shout I know but I'll stand by it. Anyway' date=' what's up in the air?

[b']Starts for Manchester City[/b] He's got a tough start in having to overcome seasoned PL superstar Shay Given. If he can get the #1 shirt at City he shouldn't have any problems in getting the #1 for England and could finish the season as high as 91.

Shares the spot with Given If both stay at City this is the likely outcome. Hopefully he can get a decent number of games across several competitions and still get the international jersey. In this situation I'd say he'd finish the campaign around 90.

Moves away from City Could be another loan or even (hopefully not) a permanent move. Really depends where he goes. If it's Arsenal then he could get to 91ish, a mid-table club and it'd be around the 90 mark. If he plays regularly he should still get the England job.

Bench warms at City Worst case scenario. Only real situation where I can't see him playing for England and could sit the season out at 89.

I'd suggest the 2nd option is most likely. I don't think Given will be moved on just yet and City have the games to have 2 first choice keepers. If it's any of the first 3 I'd well recommend signing him with any SM team. He has the potential to be one of the world's top 3 young goalies.

Amazing for brimingham IMO jsut cant see why he didnt stay :confused: we all loved him maybe he though he had a chance at getting into city's starting Xl either way given or hart will be leaving the club in januray or next summer both great keeps neither will want to be a bench warmer how ever much they get a week.

Its a intresting one United need a long term stand in for Van der sar and arsenal just need a good keeper. Could see either given or hart at arsenal

Alright mate im a city fan too' date=' O'connor had a good pre-season tour but please lets not get ahead of our selfs last season befour his injury (thank god:rolleyes:) he was rubbish and IMO he will still be rubbish can not for the life of me see him making a impact Zigic will be a certian starter now and i cnt see Alex putting Gary Ahead of Jerome.

Valles long term re-placement for bowyer/ferguson. Wont start many game hell be used as a impact sub i reckon, Dont know alot about Mutch but did see some of him in china have to say looks promising great assist for gardener in one of the games.[/quote']

im a bluenose to and i honestly think mcleish preffers o'connor to jerome (take a look at pre season line ups for a start) for some strange reason and none can deny he is a very gifted finisher so i think he could rise

valles i agree with you on however he looks like a great player so snap him up :)

mutch i have now clue about :rolleyes:

Amazing for brimingham IMO jsut cant see why he didnt stay :confused: we all loved him maybe he though he had a chance at getting into city's starting Xl either way given or hart will be leaving the club in januray or next summer both great keeps neither will want to be a bench warmer how ever much they get a week.

Its a intresting one United need a long term stand in for Van der sar and arsenal just need a good keeper. Could see either given or hart at arsenal

City were right to keep hold of him IMO. As I said, he could be brilliant and he could stay at the top for 10+ years. City have a lot of games next season with the Europa league which could be enough to keep both happy. I wouldn't be surprised to see either leave but I hope it's Given who goes (so long as it's not to United ;)).

Hey, this is a great thread, and I look very much to seeing more player profiles added.

I was just wondering though about what you say on your first post, saying 'SM will do away with the ratings schedule'. Would you mind telling me what you mean by this and whereabouts it says this on SM?

Thanks very much :D

Hey' date=' this is a great thread, and I look very much to seeing more player profiles added.

I was just wondering though about what you say on your first post, saying 'SM will do away with the ratings schedule'. Would you mind telling me what you mean by this and whereabouts it says this on SM?

Thanks very much :D[/quote']

There used to be a rigid schedule where SM would review each group of leagues in turn. This has been removed and SM now just reveal the leagues currently being reviewed and the leagues about to removed. There is no set schedule but SM have said they'll review the major leagues more frequently.

Alright mate im a city fan too' date=' O'connor had a good pre-season tour but please lets not get ahead of our selfs last season befour his injury (thank god:rolleyes:) he was rubbish and IMO he will still be rubbish can not for the life of me see him making a impact Zigic will be a certian starter now and i cnt see Alex putting Gary Ahead of Jerome.

Valles long term re-placement for bowyer/ferguson. Wont start many game hell be used as a impact sub i reckon, Dont know alot about Mutch but did see some of him in china have to say looks promising great assist for gardener in one of the games.[/quote']

Not getting ahead of myself pal. O'connor's very under-estimated by most Blues fans. He's struggled with injuries as you said and looks like he's coming back to his old goal-scoring self he was when he was at Hibs.

Jerome was decent last season. Tbh, he seemed lazy at times. I dont know if that was down to his help from Chucho, and towards the end Mcfadden. He was our top scorer but if you think about it he could of had 20+ with the assist he was getting from Seb, Mcfadden and Bowyer.

im a bluenose to and i honestly think mcleish preffers o'connor to jerome (take a look at pre season line ups for a start) for some strange reason and none can deny he is a very gifted finisher so i think he could rise

valles i agree with you on however he looks like a great player so snap him up :)

mutch i have now clue about :rolleyes:

I think Valles will be introduced gradually (Like Michel). The Spanish game is different compared to the EPL. He'll probabley just play him in the League Cup and some sub apperances maybe.

Mutch is a great young prospect, think he played about 16 games for Doncaster last season and they wanted him back for this season. I think McCleish is hoping Valles and Mutch will be succesors to Ferguson and Bowyer but the where does that but Michel?

Not getting ahead of myself pal. O'connor's very under-estimated by most Blues fans. He's struggled with injuries as you said and looks like he's coming back to his old goal-scoring self he was when he was at Hibs.

Jerome was decent last season. Tbh' date=' he seemed lazy at times. I dont know if that was down to his help from Chucho, and towards the end Mcfadden. He was our top scorer but if you think about it he could of had 20+ with the assist he was getting from Seb, Mcfadden and Bowyer.

I think Valles will be introduced gradually (Like Michel). The Spanish game is different compared to the EPL. He'll probabley just play him in the League Cup and some sub apperances maybe.

Mutch is a great young prospect, think he played about 16 games for Doncaster last season and they wanted him back for this season. I think McCleish is hoping Valles and Mutch will be succesors to Ferguson and Bowyer but the where does that but Michel?[/quote']

Agreed i can see them getting games against the likes of Blakcpool ect maybe carling cup games this season i know for a fact blues havent entered the reserves league

There used to be a rigid schedule where SM would review each group of leagues in turn. This has been removed and SM now just reveal the leagues currently being reviewed and the leagues about to removed. There is no set schedule but SM have said they'll review the major leagues more frequently.

Thanks very much mate (and I have repped)

Agreed i can see them getting games against the likes of Blakcpool ect maybe carling cup games this season i know for a fact blues havent entered the reserves league

also agreed ;)

we need some other teams being discussed though because its turning into the birmingham city dissusion thread lol :P

we need some other teams being discussed though because its turning into the birmingham city dissusion thread lol :P

I thought you'd never shut up :P Who do people think will take the title this season and how do you see the top 4 ending up?

I can see Chelsea winning it but the top 4 is very difficult to predict. Any 3 of United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs could get in IMO.

I thought you'd never shut up :P Who do people think will take the title this season and how do you see the top 4 ending up?

I can see Chelsea winning it but the top 4 is very difficult to predict. Any 3 of United' date=' City, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs could get in IMO.[/quote']

lol :P and i think chelsea again

Luka Modric - Can He Push On?

LukaModricGePhilCole1.jpg

One of Tottenham's star players as they go into what could be one of there most famous seasons of the clubs history, back to the glory and in the champions league once again, a chance to make history and a chance to establish themselves as a top four side. It'll be difficult, that's one thing secured, Man. City have already spent over £80,000,000 this summer already and you could see Balotelli & Milner pushing that fee up to around £120,000,000 very soon, Arsenal, Chelsea & United have got to be fancied as always and Liverpool should improve under Hodgson and have brought in four good signings in Shelvey, Wilson, Jovanovic & J.Cole. But Spurs have built a great squad under Redknapp and they can challenge for a top four place any season, and at the heart of it is not there flare players in Gareth Bale & Aaron Lennon, not there goalscorers in Jermain Defoe, Crouch, Pav & Keano not the defence in Gomes, Dawson, King & Corluka but one man - Croatian Luke Modric. With out him, even with Kranjcar replacing him they lack creativity, they lack flare, they lack spirit. This man will make or break Croatia's season, this is where he can flop - this is where he can turn himself from a great player to an all-time great. Here's the questions that'll be asked:

Can Spurs have a succesfull season in the Champions League?
Why not? They've got a great squad and on there day they can beat any team, they've shown that at the end of last season in the Champions league. There's a chance it can all go horribly wrong, but they'll take this very seriously and put there all into it, i feel at the least they can get through the group stages.

Can he remain fit throughout the season?
Evidence suggests so, he's had the odd lay-off since joining Spurs but there's no reason why he can't be ever present throughout the season and avoid any injuries to ruin his season.

How exactly can he improve on next season?
Well there's aspects off his game which can be improved on, his consistancy is very good for Tottenham but he could play at his best for a bit longer during the season and hit form for a bit longer throughout the season. The main aspect of his game though would be his finishing, last year he scored just three goals. If he scored 6 or 7 goals, or even possibly more then that'll make his season.

I really think he could hit 92 if he hits his game, scores a few more goals next season and Spurs have a succesful Champions League & Premier League season then he could really hit 92.

Other 92 rated Premier League midfielders:

Chelsea:
Yuri Zhirkov, Florent Malouda

Manchester United:
Darren Fletcher, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick

Arsenal:
Samir Nasri

Liverpool:
Joe Cole, Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez

Manchester City:
Yaya Toure

Tottenham:
None

Think it is a very important year the Jack Rodwell. I expect him to get alot of game time however this could be difficult as Everton have many CM although he was originally a cb I think that he is better in the midfield.

People are also saying he should be given ago for Engalnd. One of these is former teamate Landon Donovan.

Archived