The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

Stuart H

Re: The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

Think it is a very important year the Jack Rodwell. I expect him to get alot of game time however this could be difficult as Everton have many CM although he was originally a cb I think that he is better in the midfield.

People are also saying he should be given ago for Engalnd. One of these is former teamate Landon Donovan.

He could well make the England team this season if he becomes an Everton regular. I'd say he could feasibly end the season on an 89/90 rating.

On the Donovan note could we see him more next season as well? Manchester City are apparently interested and he could be an excellent replacement for Bellamy who I doubt will stay at Eastlands. If it isn't City then a host of PL clubs would be interested after his World Cup and Everton performances last year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could well make the England team this season if he becomes an Everton regular. I'd say he could feasibly end the season on an 89/90 rating.

On the Donovan note could we see him more next season as well? Manchester City are apparently interested and he could be an excellent replacement for Bellamy who I doubt will stay at Eastlands. If it isn't City then a host of PL clubs would be interested after his World Cup and Everton performances last year.

Why are Man. City even trying to buy Donavan when they've transfer listed SWP & Bellamy. Well done my first report :) Should do a few more then that, glad this thread is underway.

Why are Man. City even trying to buy Donavan when they've transfer listed SWP & Bellamy. Well done my first report :) Should do a few more then that' date=' glad this thread is underway.[/quote']

Donovan's better than SWP and will be able to play more games than Bellamy. I really like the bloke and would love to see him in England in any shirt. I'm just wondering where our home-grown quota is going to come from. Hart, Taylor, Richards, Lescott, Bridge, Johnson, Johnson/Ireland, Barry? I could see some of those leaving TBH. Milner coming in? It's all very confusing :P

Great report on Modric. I've got a few more ideas knocking around but I'll try and space 'em out :)

Donovan's better than SWP and will be able to play more games than Bellamy. I really like the bloke and would love to see him in England in any shirt. I'm just wondering where our home-grown quota is going to come from. Hart' date=' Taylor, Richards, Lescott, Bridge, Johnson, Johnson/Ireland, Barry? I could see some of those leaving TBH. Milner coming in? It's all very confusing :P

Great report on Modric. I've got a few more ideas knocking around but I'll try and space 'em out :)[/quote']

Well Lescott & Ireland are on the transfer list aren't they, there's always Shay Given isn't there. Can't see Michael Johnson being registered in a 25 man squad either, seeing as there looking to bring in another three players with two of them likely to be Balotelli & Milner but they could go crazy on deadline day.

Well Lescott & Ireland are on the transfer list aren't they' date=' there's always Shay Given isn't there. Can't see Michael Johnson being registered in a 25 man squad either, seeing as there looking to bring in another three players with two of them likely to be Balotelli & Milner but they could go crazy on deadline day.[/quote']

I don't think Given counts. I might be wrong but I don't think he was playing in Britain for 3+ years before he turned 21. Lescott should stay as he and Kompany formed our best CB partnership last season. Ireland and Johnson I'm not so sure about. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. The fire sale at Eastlands will be massive.

I don't think Given counts. I might be wrong but I don't think he was playing in Britain for 3+ years before he turned 21. Lescott should stay as he and Kompany formed our best CB partnership last season. Ireland and Johnson I'm not so sure about. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. The fire sale at Eastlands will be massive.

Dont Irish players count as British.. so therefore they are homegrown? Or does that not count? Anyway, he was playing in Britian 3 years before he turned 21, so im sure he'd pass. He was with Blackburn and was loaned out to a host of British clubs.

Dont Irish players count as British.. so therefore they are homegrown? Or does that not count? Anyway' date=' he was playing in Britian 3 years before he turned 21, so im sure he'd pass. He was with Blackburn and was loaned out to a host of British clubs.[/quote']

Any player who has played at a team in England or Wales for 3 years under the age of 21 count as home grown players.

Wilson & Shelvey - Will they get first team action?

056855321001.jpg

There's a few questions regarding Liverpool as they kick-off the new season:

- How will Roy Hodgson start his reign of Livepool?

- Will Torres & Gerrard get back to form after poor World Cups?

- Will Liverpool get themselves back into the top four?

- Will Liverpool miss Yossi Benayoun?

- Will Joe Cole have a good season?

But the one i'm going to concentrate on, is will new signings Jonjo Shelvey & Danny Wilson be more then prospect buys and pick up some first team action this season. Personally i feel Danny Wilson will get a lot of first team action this season, here's who'll he'll be pushing for some first team football this season:

- Jamie Carragher

- Martin Skrtel

- Daniel Agger

- Sortiris Kyrgiakos

- Daniel Ayala

Well those are the players who had first team action last season anyone. Wilson should easily beat Daniel Ayala to any first team action this season, and at the moment i can see Daniel Agger as the current first choice left-back untill they do bring in a left-back if they do bring in a defender. Kyrgiakos is always dodgy, and Skrtel isn't the best in fairness and Carragher ofcourse is ever present in the Liverpool squad. I think that Danny Wilson will be the 4th choice centre-back at Liverpool, and possily pushing for a 3rd choice centre-back spot this season in the place of Kyrgiakos. Danny Wilson should get a lot of first team football, some of which'll possibly be in the FA Cup & Carling Cup.

Early Rating Prediction: 83 - 85

Less likely for a starting line-up spot for me would be Jonjo Shelvey. I honestly can't see him getting much first team football and if any it'll be in the FA CUp & Carling Cup but i can only see the odd appearance of the bench in the leage for a 10 minute run-out or something. Here's the midfielders he'll have competition with:

- Steven Gerrard

- Javier Mascherano

- Alberto Aquilani

- Leiva Lucas

- Joe Cole

- Jay Spearing

For me, Jay Spearing is more likely to go out on loan but Jonjo Shelvey should be staying at Liverpool. Obviously the first five are really set to be the key, core centre-midfielders at Liverpool. I can see them with a centre-midfield of three with Mascherano and Aquilani in centre-midfield with Gerrard just behind Torres and Lucas dropped but getting a lot of time of the bench. Joe Cole on the wing primerily with the odd appearance in the midfield. So once again i'd say say he's likely to get some gametime of the bench for 10 minutes every so often and some gametime in the FA Cup & Carling Cup.

Early Rating Prediction: 78 - 81

Will they impress on the pitch?
For me yes, more so for Danny Wilson. Wilson is definatly a future Liverpool regularly and definatly the success to Carragher in my eyes. I can see him impressing a lot, and putting Kyrgiakos up to show with his performances.

Where can these lads be in 3 seasons time?
Danny Wilson'll be 21 and i can see him playing alongside Jamie Carragher on a regular bass in the Liverpool starting line-up and an established member of the Scottish squad. Shelvey'll also be 21 and i can see him just outside the starting line-up for Liverpool. I can see him coming off the bench frequently and being prepared for being a future Liverpool starter.

Koscielny And Vermaelen - Will they work well together?

With William Gallas and Mickeal Silvestre out of contract, and Sol Campbells futre still unclear, the future of Arsenals defence is down to Vermaelen and Koscielny.

Strengths: Vermaelen made a very good impression for his first season in England. He began with plenty of goals, which grabbed the headlines. But his tough-tackling and ability to go forward with the ball was very useful last season. But what about Koscielny? I have seen bits of him, but he looks like a similar player to Vermaelen. Hes a threat from corners and his tackling is very good.

Weaknesses: Both have had games where the positioning has been bad. They are also not the quickest of player (Compared to say Gallas). I feel the Central defence will make or break Arsenals season. The fact Koscielny has only had 1 season in the top division of France, and no European football, worries me. With such little depth, and not much time to learn each others game, I see the big strikers dominating us once again.

Heres all the transfer action involving Premiership clubs. (Green = Signed' date='[/color'] Red = Sold) Also these are only the major signings. I haven't done youth or players signed on loan, as they aren't important :)

Arsenal: In - Marouane Chamakh, Laurent Koscielny. Out - Eduardo, Philippe Senderos, Fran Merida

Aston Villa:

Birmingham: In - Ben Foster, Nikola Zigic, Enric Vallès. Out - Cristian Benitez, Gary McSheffrey

Blackburn Rovers: Out - Steven Reid

Blackpool: Out - Ben Burgess

Bolton Wanderers: In - Martin Petrov, Robbie Blake

Chelsea: In - Yossi Benayoun. Out - Micheal Ballack, Joe Cole

Everton: In - Jermaine Beckford, João Silva, Jan Mucha. Out - Dan Gosling

Fulham: In - Philippe Senderos, Jonathan Greening. Out - Chris Smalling

Liverpool: In - Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic, Danny Wilson. Out - Yossi Benayoun, Alberto Riera, Mikel San Jose

Manchester City: In - Jerome Boateng, David Silva, Yaya Toure. Out - Martin Petrov, Valeri Bojinov

Manchester United: In - Javier Hernández, Chris Smalling. Out - Zoran Tosic, Ben Foster

Newcastle United: In - Dan Gosling

Stoke City: Out - Ibrahima Sonko

Sunderland: In - Titus Bramble, Cristian Riveros, Simon Mignolet. Out - Lorik Cana, Daryl Murphy

Tottenham Hotspur: In - Sandro

West Brom: In - Gabriel Sebastian Tamas, Pablo Ibañez, Steven Reid. Out - Jonathan Greening

West Ham United: In - Thomas Hitzlsperger, Frederic Piquionne, Pablo Barrera.

Wigan Athletic: In - James McArthur, Antolín Alcaraz, Mauro Boselli. Out - Titus Bramble, Tomasz Cywka

Wolves: In - Stephen Hunt, Steven Mouyokolo, Steven Fletcher, Jelle Van Damme. Out - Chris Iwelumo

Please let me know if I have missed any, I did this very quickly :P

think you only missed 1 and thats Angeleri for Sunderland

Nice work Maoam! :)

Personally with Campbell possibly leaving, Gallas all but gone & Senderos now at Fulham i see Arsenal signing at least one centre-back, possibly two. If they only sign one i could see a young player getting some first time game-time next season possibly Kyle Bartley, possibly Nordveit, possibly Gavin Hoyte less likely a complete return Johan Djourou.

I'd say most likely Nordveit, he's gained a lot of experience out on loan and i think he could establish himself at Arsenal this season as you can't always count on Wenger signing an extra addition.

But for me if there's on signing it'll be David Luiz, Kjaer, Subotic.

Personally with Campbell possibly leaving' date=' Gallas all but gone & Senderos now at Fulham i see Arsenal signing at least one centre-back, possibly two. If they only sign one i could see a young player getting some first time game-time next season possibly Kyle Bartley, possibly Nordveit, possibly Gavin Hoyte less likely a complete return Johan Djourou.

I'd say most likely Nordveit, he's gained a lot of experience out on loan and i think he could establish himself at Arsenal this season as you can't always count on Wenger signing an extra addition.

But for me if there's on signing it'll be David Luiz, [b']Kjaer[/b], Subotic.

He'll be going nowhere mate, he's just signed for Wolfsburg ;)

Gareth Bale - On The Wing & At His Best

Gareth-Bale-001.jpg

I've already done something on Luka Modric, but here's another one Spurs related. Having reached the Champions League Spurs do have one of there greatest ever seasons coming up if all goes to plan, last season they pipped Manchester City to 4th putting them in the Champions League. Now they'll look to establish themselves as a top four side by qualifing for the champions league for the second year running, whilst looking for a succesfull Champions league season. It'll be difficult there's no doubt about that, Arsenal, Chelsea & United are always likely to finish in the top four if they have a good or bad season, Liverpool has improved vastly since Hodgson joined the club and Manchester City's squad has hugely improved already. Gareth Bale, in my opinion, was the reason that Tottenham qualified for the champions league. He pushed himself into the Tottenham team in late december, and when on the left-wing he was sublime and in April he helped them to beating Arsenal & Chelsea when playing on the wing however he had a dissapointing game against Manchester United when playing at left-back.

There's no doubt about it, he should be playing regularly on the left-wing, as when in form he's as good as any winger in the Premier League. Redknapp will be more the happy to play him regularly on the left-wing as that's where he seems to play at his best. If Redknapp plays him at left-back then that's when thing will start to go wrong, he really has to be him at left-back. This is how i see Tottenham's line-up next season:

Gomes

Corluka Dawson King Assou-Ekotto

Huddlestone

Modric

Lennon
Kranjcar
Bale

Defoe/Crouch

It'll alternate, and Tottenham will play two strikers for a lot of the season possibly Kranjcar or Lennon will be axed if anyone but as long as Bale is at his best and on form. For me he's going to hit 89/90 next up, his deserved rating really from the last predictions, he was as good as anyone in April & May in the Premier League yet he was handed a lousy +1.

All the Current 90 Rated Premier League Wingers:

Chelsea:
Yossi Benayoun, Soloman Kalou

Manchester United:
Luis Nani, Park Ji Sung

Arsenal:
Tomas Rosicky

Tottenham:
Aaron Lennon, Niko Kranjcar

Manchester City:
Craig Bellamy, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Aston Villa:
Ashley Young

Everton:
Steven Piennar

Will you all be doing full write ups for every player you consider worthy of a mention?

Just a note to MaoaM: Newcastle have also signed James Perch.

Well it's really been setup up with MaoaM, me & Stuart but everyone's welcome to post any reports and they'll all be linked to the 3rd post - bar those which are clearly biased - you get the point.

But yes, i'll personally do a full write-up if i feel it's worth a mention.

Well it's really been setup up with MaoaM' date=' me & Stuart but everyone's welcome to post any reports and they'll all be linked to the 3rd post - bar those which are clearly biased - you get the point.

But yes, i'll personally do a full write-up if i feel it's worth a mention.[/quote']

I was asking you three since it is your idea/thread. Thanks for the info.

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Time For Consistancy

Aston-Villas-Gabriel-Agbo-001.jpg

Under Martin O'Neil, Aston Villa have always been a thread, in years they've pushed for a champions league place, in others they've looked for Cup glory. But all in all they've established themselves as one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League outside the big four. One of the key performers in the squad that has been so succesfull is pacey forward Gabriel Agonlahor. On his day he's a great Premier League striker, he can hit the back of the net, he can beat anyman for pace and he can pop up with a goal when its needed the most at crucial times. The one thing that can be added to his game is consistancy, he has large spells without goals and during the season him at his best is like a different player to him at his worst. Goals make strikers and here's his goals record in recent seasons:

2006/2007 - 10 Goals

2007/2008 - 11 Goals

2008/2009 - 12 Goals

2009/2010 - 16 Goals

As you can see from these stats his goal record is improving and it always has one throughout his career at Aston Villa. I feel this will continue for at the least next season, and i feel he can score 17-20 goals next season. I think that if he can gain some consistancy he can be a great striker in the future for Aston Villa & for England.

Potential 90 Material

Thought I would have a go at a Player Profile

Jermaine Beckford: The Next Level

efc__1275305177_beckford-shirt.jpg

Jermaine Beckford recently signed for Everton from Leeds United. After scoring an abundance of goals for Leeds he became an important player for the club and scored some very important goals for his club. But he now has his big chance at Everton and will be playing in the Premier League.

Beckford possesses attributes such as speed and he certainly knows were the goal is. He has shown that he can score in big games against good teams with goals against Manchester United and Tottenham in last years F.A Cup. However he often missed alot of chances but he should have alot more chances as Everton will have a full strenght squad for the star of the season. The midfield also consists of some very creative players such as Mikel Arteta and Steven Pienaar, who have both been linked with moves away from the club. Their future could decide wheather Beckford succeeds at Goodison.

There is also alot of competition for the starting places so Beckford has to except that he is no longer the star man and he will often start on the bench. I would say he is the third choice striker behind Saha and Yakubu. But if he takes his chances (he will get plenty of them with Saha's poor fitness) he could establish himself as an important player for Everton and who knows he could follow Lescott and Cahill and be a success from the lower leagues.

Gareth Bale - On The Wing & At His Best

Gareth-Bale-001.jpg

I've already done something on Luka Modric' date=' but here's another one Spurs related. Having reached the Champions League Spurs do have one of there greatest ever seasons coming up if all goes to plan, last season they pipped Manchester City to 4th putting them in the Champions League. Now they'll look to establish themselves as a top four side by qualifing for the champions league for the second year running, whilst looking for a succesfull Champions league season. It'll be difficult there's no doubt about that, Arsenal, Chelsea & United are always likely to finish in the top four if they have a good or bad season, Liverpool has improved vastly since Hodgson joined the club and Manchester City's squad has hugely improved already. Gareth Bale, in my opinion, was the reason that Tottenham qualified for the champions league. He pushed himself into the Tottenham team in late december, and when on the left-wing he was sublime and in April he helped them to beating Arsenal & Chelsea when playing on the wing however he had a dissapointing game against Manchester United when playing at left-back.

There's no doubt about it, he should be playing regularly on the left-wing, as when in form he's as good as any winger in the Premier League. Redknapp will be more the happy to play him regularly on the left-wing as that's where he seems to play at his best. If Redknapp plays him at left-back then that's when thing will start to go wrong, he really has to be him at left-back. This is how i see Tottenham's line-up next season:

[b']

Gomes

Corluka Dawson King Assou-Ekotto

Huddlestone

Modric

Lennon
Kranjcar
Bale

Defoe/Crouch

[/b]

It'll alternate, and Tottenham will play two strikers for a lot of the season possibly Kranjcar or Lennon will be axed if anyone but as long as Bale is at his best and on form. For me he's going to hit 89/90 next up, his deserved rating really from the last predictions, he was as good as anyone in April & May in the Premier League yet he was handed a lousy +1.

All the Current 90 Rated Premier League Wingers:

Chelsea:
Yossi Benayoun, Soloman Kalou

Manchester United:
Luis Nani, Park Ji Sung

Arsenal:
Tomas Rosicky

Tottenham:
Aaron Lennon, Niko Kranjcar

Manchester City:
Craig Bellamy, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Aston Villa:
Ashley Young

Everton:
Steven Piennar

Agree with you on his potential and most of your article.. just not the line up. Harry barely ever plays with one up front, even though sometimes id like him too. It'll be hard to leave Palacios out of the squad as he has been so good. Im not saying Bale wont get a starting place but about the formation im really not sure. More signings would make it even harder to pick.. Harry will need to have a serious think. :P

Personally with Campbell possibly leaving' date=' Gallas all but gone & Senderos now at Fulham i see Arsenal signing at least one centre-back, possibly two. If they only sign one i could see a young player getting some first time game-time next season possibly Kyle Bartley, possibly Nordveit, possibly Gavin Hoyte less likely a complete return Johan Djourou.

But for me if there's on signing it'll be David Luiz, Kjaer, Subotic.[/quote']

Our third choice CB is Djorou :rolleyes: So yes we definately need some extra cover lol

I will add the extra transfers that I missed to that list

Gabriel Obertan

gabrielobertanespoir_171694.jpg

Who? Obertan was signed for Manchester United from French club Bordeaux for a mere 3m after failing to cement his place in the side due to persistent injuries and lack of form. He was the Golden ball winner in the prestigious Toulon Tournament. Before his injuries curtailed his playing time he was a regular for the French youths.

2009/2010 Season Obertan spent most of the first part of the season on the sidelines trying to fully recover from a troublesome back which had kept him from making the expected impact for Bordeaux. After he had fully recovered he was handed his premier league debut against Blackburn. Old Trafoord was curious and very expectant and he did not disappoint. With his 2nd touch of the ball he raced clear of a defender showcasing his electrifying his pace but a poor finish let him down. He then had another golden chance to open his duck but missed the target from close range. His best moment for United however came in the champions league against Wolfsborg in Germany. With the game tied at 1-1 Obertan took on and beat 3 defenders before squaring up the ball for Micheal owen to tap it in.

Pre-Season With Nani and valencia injured this was Obertan's chance to make his mark. In the 3 pre-season games so far he has been United's 2nd best player behind Berbatov. He also broke his goalscoring duck with a very well taken goal against Philadelphia drawing big praise for Sir Alex.

Role this season While he is not expected to start with Valencia and Nani finishing the season in very good form I fully expect Obertan to be a regular of the bench and ready to jump in in case either Nani or Valencia fade away or get tired. And with his pace and skill he should be a handful for any full back in the league.

Plays Like Thiery Henry

Strenghts Pace and Trickery

Weaknesses Finishing

Archived