The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

Stuart H

Re: The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

Three's a crowd?

tottenham.jpg

Right, first things first, Rafael Van Der Vaart is a great acquisition for Tottenham and a bargain at £8m to boot. However, how do Spurs fit all their players in? It's probably quite hypocritical from a fan of City but I'm going to analyse how I think 'Arry will fit everyone in and who will benefit or otherwise in terms of SM rating.

I think VDV has to start when available. Not expensive but on his day he's one of the most naturally gifted players in the world. I've been a big fan since his Ajax days and the guy is quality.

But then you have Modric. Also extremely talented and has finally bedded into English football with some great performances in the second half of last season. Surely he too has to have a place? Easy, one can play in the centre and one can play on the left...

But you're forgetting Bale. He's been the best Spurs player of the past 6 months in his preferred position on the left wing. He's scored more than Luka and offers more defensively as well. Saw him play against City at the start of the 10/11 campaign and he tore Richards to pieces. You could drop him back into left-back but then he's nowhere near as effective and, as this article explains, could in fact cost Spurs ;)

So you're trying to cram VDV, Modric and Bale into what currently is one or two places with Spurs' current 442 system. When you factor in how effective Lennon can be with his pace down the right side (the previously mentioned players tend to rely on skill) and that Spurs tend to play with 2 defensive minded central midfielders like Palacios, Huddlestone or Sandro and some guys have to miss out.

For all the aforementioned this shouldn't be too much of an issue with regards to dropping. In fact, players like Huddlestone, Sandro and Bale can all be expecting or working towards rises in the next changes. Spurs have Champions League football which could push a few more players into the 90s. This glut of midfielders may mean a change in formation though, perhaps with a striker losing out. How do you fit Defoe, Keane, Crouch and Pavlyuchenko into one spot? Keane definitely looks like he'll lose out as Spurs tried to ship him out in the window. If it is one up front then Pav might not get that much football.

One player who hasn't been mentioned and you should probably get rid of is Niko Kranjcar. Plays exactly the same role as VDV and Modric and quite simply, isn't as good. Won't see much football and will struggle to keep his 90.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

extremely hypacritical coming from a man city fan :) but i see what your saying..bale cannot be dropped at the moment but things chnage and he can be rotated to keep him fresh

lennon, jenas, sandro and huddlestone, krankjar can certainly be roated

palacios and modric at the moment are the two in favour of the centre mid pairing

spurs are now playing in various cups so rotation will be needed, having van der varrat can only be an advantage

extremely hypacritical coming from a man city fan :) but i see what your saying..bale cannot be dropped at the moment but things chnage and he can be rotated to keep him fresh

lennon' date=' jenas, sandro and huddlestone, krankjar can certainly be roated

palacios and modric at the moment are the two in favour of the centre mid pairing

spurs are now playing in various cups so rotation will be needed, having van der varrat can only be an advantage[/quote']

Yeah, if you want my views on City then pop down to the club thread where I regularly post my absurd opinions ;) I don't think Jenas will be anywhere near the rest. He's been awful whenever he's played recently and you've bought players to slot in ahead of him.

Thing is, if you stick with 4 in the middle you get:

Lennon, Palacios, VDV, Bale or Bentley, Huddlestone, Sandro Modric really. There are a fair few players at City but I can definitely see 2 plausible line-ups which players can flit between as needed. Kranjcar doesn't fit anywhere in there, not enough to maintain a 90 rating anyway IMO. Even if Spurs do have Champions League he'd have to play some regular football. If you add another midfielder in then you're kicking a striker out and it's likely Pav and Keane will be in the same situation.

We have so much quality in that Midfield but i think the squad will be like this;

Gomez

Corluka-Dawson-King-Assou-Ekotto

Lennon-Huddlestone-Modric-Bale

Van Der Vaart

Defoe

Or even if Assou-Ekotto is having problems at Left Back, which he has a few times this season and Harry's took him off! then it could be this..

Gomez

Corluka-Dawson-King-Bale

Lennon-Huddlestone-Modric-Van Der Vaart

Crouch-Defoe

Harry likes playing the big man up there with Defoe, but we will have to wait and see. :D

We have so much quality in that Midfield but i think the squad will be like this;

Gomez

Corluka-Dawson-King-Assou-Ekotto

Lennon-Huddlestone-Modric-Bale

Van Der Vaart

Defoe

Or even if Assou-Ekotto is having problems at Left Back' date=' which he has a few times this season and Harry's took him off! then it could be this..Gomez

Corluka-Dawson-King-Bale

Lennon-Huddlestone-Modric-Van Der Vaart

Crouch-Defoe

Harry likes playing the big man up there with Defoe, but we will have to wait and see. :D[/quote']

You can't play Bale at left-back mun ... he wins games on the left-wing and he's ordinary at left-back.

Jenas wont get a kick fostino.

And Stuart ... i'm suprised off your views on Niko Kranjcar. He's a superb player, much better then Bentley ... better then Palacios and so far this season he's been better then Luka Modric.

This is how i'd play it at the moment:

Gomes

Corluka Dawson King Assou-Ekotto

Huddlestone

Lennon VDV Modric Bale

Crouch

It's hard to include Kranjcar at the moment, but he's brought on in pretty much every game and is a very good player to come off the bench for Spurs.

Wayne Rooney - Midfield Dynamo?

article-1078014-0220A912000005DC-22_468x286.jpg

It's always been present that Wayne Rooney was never only an out and out striker. He can hit it from range, and he's got excellent passing ability. He's been played behind the striker on numerous occasions, and even wide left when Cristiano Ronaldo was at Manchester United. He's now been brought back into the midfield more and more, and under Sir Alex Ferguson he could well turn into more of a midfielder. I may be wrong, but 12 months from now he wont be playing as a lone forward, with plenty of forwards at United and not many qualtiy centre midfielders bar Paul Scholes and he's not going to play forever. In the past Paul Scholes has turned from more of a Wayne Rooney/Steven Gerrard sort of position into a creative midfielder and although he only scores the odd goal he's a quality midfielder. Alan Smith is the next player Ferguson transformed, he was a centre forward scoring a lot of goals but when injured United's attack made it impossible for Smith to get back in and turning into a midfielder he's now the Captian of Newcastle United and playing regular Premiership footballer. If Rooney turns into a midfielder, still with the ability of scoring goals it will free up space in the attack for some of the younger lads to get a chance.

Other Forwards At The Club:

Dimitar Berbatov - 29

Javier Hernandez - 22

Danny Welbeck - 19

Mame Diouf - 22

Federico Macheda - 19

Corriera Bebe - 20

From that you can see the youth bubbling up and the likes of Welbeck, acheda, Diouf, Bebe & Hernandez could be huge player for United in the not so distant future. Rooney will be creative, along with Scholes and they should help these lads to scoring plenty of goals. Personally i think it will be best for both club and country, giving Hernandez & Defoe the chance to shine and an out and out Attacking Midfielder is something that both United & England could do with it. It's up to Sir Alex in all, one of his later decisions in his career but one of the most crucial regarding England's hopes for Euro 2012 & World Cup 2014 if he does well England could be succesfull, and if he doesn't like in South Africa there will be a lot more dissapointment in England regarding the football team.

Next Position Change: Fwd/AM - AM/Fwd

You can't play Bale at left-back mun ... he wins games on the left-wing and he's ordinary at left-back.

Jenas wont get a kick fostino.

And Stuart ... i'm suprised off your views on Niko Kranjcar. He's a superb player' date=' much better then Bentley ... better then Palacios and so far this season he's been better then Luka Modric.

[center']This is how i'd play it at the moment:

Gomes

Corluka Dawson King Assou-Ekotto

Huddlestone

Lennon VDV Modric Bale

Crouch[/center]

It's hard to include Kranjcar at the moment, but he's brought on in pretty much every game and is a very good player to come off the bench for Spurs.

I really like Kranjcar. Trouble is he may be better than Bentley and Palacios but he's not a quick right winger or a battling defensive player. He's very creative and can play on the left or in the middle... just like VDV and Modric.

Those 2 will always get preferred over him really (probably the big name factor). Unless Kranjcar can take Bentley's place filling in for Lennon (he may have played there at Portsmouth?), I can't see him getting much game time; not enough to hold a 90 anyway.

Re: Respuesta: The English (Mainly Premier) League Thread

and SANDRO' date='RANIERI? will he start on te bench?[/quote']

Us English folk haven't seen him yet. I think he stayed on at Internacional for a while to complete a tournament with them (Insider will have a better idea). I don't think he's quite the finished product just yet so I would guess he'll be kept in reserve for the time being. Could always hit the ground running and push Palacios or Huddlestone out though.

Wayne Rooney - Midfield Dynamo?

article-1078014-0220A912000005DC-22_468x286.jpg

It's always been present that Wayne Rooney was never only an out and out striker. He can hit it from range' date=' and he's got excellent passing ability. He's been played behind the striker on numerous occasions, and even wide left when Cristiano Ronaldo was at Manchester United. He's now been brought back into the midfield more and more, and under Sir Alex Ferguson he could well turn into more of a midfielder. I may be wrong, but 12 months from now he wont be playing as a lone forward, with plenty of forwards at United and not many qualtiy centre midfielders bar Paul Scholes and he's not going to play forever. In the past Paul Scholes has turned from more of a Wayne Rooney/Steven Gerrard sort of position into a creative midfielder and although he only scores the odd goal he's a quality midfielder. Alan Smith is the next player Ferguson transformed, he was a centre forward scoring a lot of goals but when injured United's attack made it impossible for Smith to get back in and turning into a midfielder he's now the Captian of Newcastle United and playing regular Premiership footballer. If Rooney turns into a midfielder, still with the ability of scoring goals it will free up space in the attack for some of the younger lads to get a chance.

[center']
Other Forwards At The Club:

Dimitar Berbatov - 29

Javier Hernandez - 22

Danny Welbeck - 19

Mame Diouf - 22

Federico Macheda - 19

Corriera Bebe - 20

From that you can see the youth bubbling up and the likes of Welbeck, acheda, Diouf, Bebe & Hernandez could be huge player for United in the not so distant future. Rooney will be creative, along with Scholes and they should help these lads to scoring plenty of goals. Personally i think it will be best for both club and country, giving Hernandez & Defoe the chance to shine and an out and out Attacking Midfielder is something that both United & England could do with it. It's up to Sir Alex in all, one of his later decisions in his career but one of the most crucial regarding England's hopes for Euro 2012 & World Cup 2014 if he does well England could be succesfull, and if he doesn't like in South Africa there will be a lot more dissapointment in England regarding the football team.

Next Position Change: Fwd/AM - AM/Fwd

[/center]

Taken you almost 5 years to realise that? Hes at his best in AM/F position where he mostly played when we had Ronaldo.

I really like Kranjcar. Trouble is he may be better than Bentley and Palacios but he's not a quick right winger or a battling defensive player. He's very creative and can play on the left or in the middle... just like VDV and Modric.

Those 2 will always get preferred over him really (probably the big name factor). Unless Kranjcar can take Bentley's place filling in for Lennon (he may have played there at Portsmouth?)' date=' I can't see him getting much game time; not enough to hold a 90 anyway.[/quote']

I got o agree. Kranjcar is really underrated imo and the only thing holding him back is his pace (or lack of). If I had to pick one player for United out of Modric, VDV and Kranjcar it would be Kranjcar purely because he can do a lot more with the ball than the other 2. Pity he will be a perennial sub from now on

What's in a name?

Birmingham-City-256x256.png

On the face of things Birmingham have made some stunning signings this window. But is that all they are? Faces and big names?

Ben Foster is a fairly average goalkeeper. He's nothing special and, at 27, can no longer be considered the young option. Thing is, everyone knows who he is. He's played at a high profile club and has international appearances. Still doesn't make him a good player. Think about the keepers available in the window. Players like Given, Schwarzer and even Begovic were up for transfer and could have gone for less than or equal to the fee paid for Foster.

Then came Nikola Zigic. Big name (my next door neighbour who's clueless in world football had heard of him) and a big player, literally. It's not quite the start he'd have been hoping for as he's only started one of Birmingham's games this season. I just can't help the feeling that he'll be known as another high profile donkey like Heskey or so far this season, Carew. Maybe the Premier League is becoming a bit more continental in style?

Deadline day saw a few high profile players come in. The first I'm going to mention is Martin Jiranek. Pretty cheap and Spartak's captain but only on a one year deal. At the age of 31 you'd think he can play a bit longer than the one season surely? My only worry with him is that he'll disrupt Birmingham's defence. Last season they were solid. A lot of that was thanks to Joe Hart but you can't disguise the contribution of Ridgewell and Dann in the centre. Both English and fairly young. Will the introduction of a player who'll want to start mess things up for McLeish?

The final and biggest name was Alexander Hleb. Distinguished career at both Arsenal and Barcelona but what has he done in the past year (or even more)? Not sure he's the kind of player Birmingham need either. He won't get stuck in and might make it harder to grind out the 1-0 wins which served them so well last season.

Of course, I may be completely wrong and Birmingham could do very well but I get the feeling that all these big names are going to want to play and might tear the heart out of the side which did so well last year. I'm not going to make any predictions, I'm just stating my observations; but it seems that McLeish hasn't looked into what his team needs and has gone out to buy the biggest, shiniest names on the market.

Did you read the post' date=' lol, i said that. Last year he played as a CF throughout the season, just read the post mate.[/quote']

Besides there are a lot of factual mistakes. Smith did not play CM because he could not games up top, he played there because we lacked a physical player in the middle and when he returned from his leg break he returned to his favoured position.

Rooney will never be a midfielder in the Scholes mould because like Gerrard he has no discipline to play there.

You say this:-

He's now been brought back into the midfield more and more

which is obviously not true post Ronaldo and certainly does not imply that he played as a CF.

What's in a name?

Birmingham-City-256x256.png

On the face of things Birmingham have made some stunning signings this window. But is that all they are? Faces and big names?

Ben Foster is a fairly average goalkeeper. He's nothing special and' date=' at 27, can no longer be considered the young option. Thing is, everyone knows who he is. He's played at a high profile club and has international appearances. Still doesn't make him a good player. Think about the keepers available in the window. Players like Given, Schwarzer and even Begovic were up for transfer and could have gone for less than or equal to the fee paid for Foster.

Then came Nikola Zigic. Big name (my next door neighbour who's clueless in world football had heard of him) and a big player, literally. It's not quite the start he'd have been hoping for as he's only started one of Birmingham's games this season. I just can't help the feeling that he'll be known as another high profile donkey like Heskey or so far this season, Carew. Maybe the Premier League is becoming a bit more continental in style?

Deadline day saw a few high profile players come in. The first I'm going to mention is Martin Jiranek. Pretty cheap and Spartak's captain but only on a one year deal. At the age of 31 you'd think he can play a bit longer than the one season surely? My only worry with him is that he'll disrupt Birmingham's defence. Last season they were solid. A lot of that was thanks to Joe Hart but [b']you can't disguise the contribution of Ridgewell and Dann in the centre. Both English and fairly young.[/b]. Will the introduction of a player who'll want to start mess things up for McLeish?

The final and biggest name was Alexander Hleb. Distinguished career at both Arsenal and Barcelona but what has he done in the past year (or even more)? Not sure he's the kind of player Birmingham need either. He won't get stuck in and might make it harder to grind out the 1-0 wins which served them so well last season.

Of course, I may be completely wrong and Birmingham could do very well but I get the feeling that all these big names are going to want to play and might tear the heart out of the side which did so well last year. I'm not going to make any predictions, I'm just stating my observations; but it seems that McLeish hasn't looked into what his team needs and has gone out to buy the biggest, shiniest names on the market.

Scott dann partnered roger johnson in the centre and ridgewell played leftback mate :P.

Is Bruce the right man?

Background:

Sunderland are a club that has had quite a journey in the last 10 years,it was around this time 10 years ago that a new era seem to have arrived when they beat Newcastle at St James Park due to a Kevin Phillips goal and it meant Ruud Gullit the Newcastle manager resigned on the same night,for the first time in a long while the Sunderland fans had every reason to be optimistic of finishing above Newcastle in the table and establishing themselves as the biggest club in the North East,Sunderland had a prolific strike partnership in experienced campaigner Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips,infact this led Sunderland to 7th place finishes and the future seemed extremely bright for the club,however all of these goals seemed to dry up when Niall Quinn retired,Sunderland didn't bring in another target man that Phillips worked so well of and therefore it brought Sunderland into the relegation picture and only a 1-1 draw with Derby on the last day of the season meant they didn't get relegated.

This was in huge contrast as to what was happening with Newcastle who were rejuvenated under experienced manager Sir Bobby Robson,playing a new attacking brand of football and bringing in players such as Bellamy and Robert who offered pace width and creativity,St James Park was a fortress that every team was scared of coming to and this fantastic home form meant they were able to mount a title challenge in the 2001/02 season,however although this title challenge did fall away they had done enough to secure 4th place and get Champions League football for the following season,Newcastle went to places like Inter Milan,Barcelona,Bayer Leverkusen and Juventus on a fantastic cup run which saw them nearly reach the last 8 of the competition,this was also coupled with another title challenge eventually finishing 3rd behind Man Utd and Arsenal,however disaster was around the corner with Newcastle not getting past Partizan in the qualifying phases and after several disagreements with the board Sir Bobby Robson departed with Graeme Souness coming in.

However the situation at Sunderland had not improved either with there poor form in the previous season showing again as they were relegated the season after with a then record low points tally of 19 points,this then led to huge cull of players as the club drastically tried to reduce it's wage bill in order to survive,this meant players such as Kevin Phillips leaving for £3.25 Million to Southampton when in his prime he was rumoured to be worth 5 times the amount he was eventually sold for,due to this wage cut and the players been brought in not been as good as the ones going out noone tipped Sunderland for automatic promotion the season after,however Mick Mccarthy done a fantastic job in moulding the side together and securing immediate promotion back into the Premiership,however due to the financial situation at the club it meant the club had no money to try and even make a good survival attempt with the most money been spent on a player been £1 Million pounds on Burnley frontman Andy Gray,this meant Sunderland went down to the Championship again with a new record low points tally of 15.

On Tyneside the arrival of Souness brought pessimism for the Newcastle fans who didn't think he was anywhere near as good as outgoing manager Robson,however after a 10 game unbeaten run at the start there was cause for optimism again,but this new optimism was misplaced and despite the arrivials of Albert Luque,Jean Alain Boumsong and Michael Owen for huge fees the form was never the same in the Sir Bobby Robson era though and this meant that he soon departed the club,this then meant that Glenn Roeder was the caretaker manager for the forseeable future,his arrival brought a huge upturn in form eventually resulting in a 7th placed finish and a European place,the club spent big on Obafemi Martins with the hope of getting back into Europe again,despite this outlay though the club was ravaged by injuries and therefore couldn't get the same form as last season,however even towards the end of the season when everyone was fit the club still struggled eventually finishing in the bottom half of the table and Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd felt it was time for change again,this time respected Bolton manager Sam Allardyce was brought in.

Sunderland however seemed to be getting there act together again after relegation,and a takeover with former player Niall Quinn been installed as chairman,the Irish Drumaville consortium had a lot of money to spend and brought in Roy Keane as the new manager,Keane had a fantastic playing career at Man United and represented Ireland on several occasions,bringing a name like Keane and coupled with huge investment from the new board meant Sunderland challenged for immediate promotion going on a 17 unbeaten run at one stage,Keane was able to bring in players such as Dwight Yorke who played a fantastic role in midfield and after a poor initial start they eventually secured promotion was a 5-0 win over Luton,this time for Sunderland fans there was real optimism and rightly so,for sure they needed a lot of players but they had the necessary funds to do so and in Roy Keane they had a manager who would get the most out of the players,this optimism proved to be correct as they got 39 points in the following season and finished 15th and stayed up with players like Kenywne Jones starring in the side,Sunderland spent big again the following season but Roy Keane quickly decided he wasn't the right man for the job and caretaker manager Ricky Sbragia had the task of keeping them up when he got the job on a permanent basis after a good initial run of results,despite some stuggles later on in the season Sunderland survived despite a defeat to Chelsea on the final day of the season,shortly after this Sbragia decided management wasn't for him and decided to resign.

At Newcastle the Allardyce reign started with some positive results after thrashing Bolton and West Ham and been in the top four for the first 8 games,however his future was thrown into some doubt when Mike Ashlley took over the club shortly after he was appointed,soon after the positive results though the results and in paticular performances started to decline and he was sacked midway through the season and was replaced by former Newcastle legend Kevin Keegan,Keegan struggled initially but after 10 games we went on a 6 games unbeaten run and this meant we stayed up,performances had improved massively and with Argentine internationals Coloccini and Jonas coming in it seemed the club was moving in the right way,we drew 1-1 at Man Utd with Jonas starring and Coloccini having a good game too,it seemed that for once we had stability and it looked like we was going to finish in a much better position than last year,however there was negative signs when Dennis Wise came in as a director of football and this was escalated when Keegan said he wouldn't sell James Milner but then was sold the next week to Aston Villa for £12 Million,then on deadline day we bought in Xisco for £6 Million,this was a player Keegan didn't want in and Dennis Wise brought him in without knowing,this then meant Keegan resigned as he wanted to bring his own players in,after been put up for sale by Mike Ashley a buyer wasn't found and Joe Kinnear was brought in,performances were still poor but we was in and around the relegation zone,but in Feburary Joe had heart problems so therefore had to quit and Alan Shearer was brought in as a caretaker manager until the end of the year,despite trying to keep us up but he couldn't and we was relegated.

Steve Bruce Era:

This is where Sunderland appointed Steve Bruce and they have now been in the Premiership for 3 years,it was the first time Newcastle had been relegated for 18 years and with Sunderland having huge money behind them surely now was the time for them to push on and finally cement themselves ahead of Newcastle as the bigger club in the North East,Bruce has spent huge amounts since taking over and brought in players such as Cattermole for £6 Million,Bent for £10 Million which could rise to £14 Million and Asamoah Gyan for a fee of at least £13 Million,the thing I don't get about Bruce is the fact he seems to find some bargains such as Riveros for £1.5 Million and getting John Mensah on loan again and then he spends huge fee on the players above,there also seems to be no plan when the team is attacking or moving forward and I think if Bent didn't play well last year they would have gone down,with Bent and Gyan I'm wondering what kind of system they will play as well,they have no aerial threat now so surely there attack will be all about pace,so to me it seems there attack will be a bit one dimensional and I think Sunderland have hugely overpaid for Gyan as you don't pay £13 Million or so for a striker with a scoring record of 1 in 3? I really think now is the time for Sunderland to push on and go for a european place with the amount of money they have spent yet I really can't see that happening,the biggest problem with Sunderland is the away form and that hasn't improved at all since Bruce has took over,the fact his a Geordie doesn't help his standing and aside from Mancini I think he will be the first manager to leave the club this season.

They also seem to lack any bite in midfield when Cattermole is not playing and this is something I don't think he has adressed,Cattermole is always getting sent of when he plays or gets 5 bookings very quickly so you have to account for that,when Cattermole isn't playing the midfield seems overrun and I think that's a big part of why they have such a poor away record as they don't seem to have the neccesary spirit or team togetherness that you need to pick up points,Sunderland do seem to play like a bunch of individuals and that's something Bruce hasn't seemed to work on,and one final thing is that if you can spend £13 Million on a striker why can't they buy a proper left back instead of putting Kieran Richardson there,Bruce confuses me as a manager and his constant go at referees and been unlucky is something that has annoyed me from his Birmingham days,they beat Arsenal and Liverpool at home last season but yet they will go to a place like Wigan and not even look like getting a point,there's a lot of potential at Sunderland but is Bruce the man to get out of them then I think not,they have a stadium that holds 49,000 people and a chairman who spends big money but yet I think a big portion of it has been wasted and £80 Million later I don't think Sunderland have made too much progress with Bruce at the helm,Niall Quinn is a nice bloke and I hope he will realise sooner rather than later that Bruce isn't the man to take Sunderland onto the next level.

I just got Sunderland in an English Championship and I'm not too familiar with the team. Who are the "must sell" and "must keep" players?

Darren Bent and Jordan Hendersen are pretty good.

Although u can sell off bent if u can get someone like suarez/muller (bent nearly won the golden boot last season)

There's a lot more talent in the rest of the world than sunderland. So u can do better than have all those sunderland players

Blackburn - Finally Some Goalscoring Ability?

mame-biram-diouf-manchester-united-uk-011.jpg

In the last few years Blackburn have always been tipped to finish towards the bottom, or even to be relegated but this year it's all different. After last year's remarkable 10th placed finish for a side with only a couple of key men in Paul Robinson, Ryan Nelsen & David Dunn they've really strengthend there strike force and after years without a top quality striker. Roque Santa Cruz was quality at times, but in his last season at the club he was far from that, in the end Blackburn were happy to recieve the £18,000,000 or so they got for him where Santa Cruz has barely played. But other then that glimpse of quality, the only real strikers they've had in the last decade have been Andy Cole, Paul Dickov, Benni McCarthy & Craig Bellamy. But now they have a trio of strikers all capable of doing well for the club and they should provide the goals for Blackburn to stay up. Nickola Kalinic was at the club last year and couldn't find any real form infront of goal, but now after a bit of a lucky goal early on in the season he should start to regain his confidence. Benjani has joined on a free transfer after a nightmare time at Man. City but at times Benjani has shown that he's at a good enough quality to play for a major Premier League side, a man who'll be a key player for Blackburn this season and should score plenty of goals. There's also striker Mame Diouf, on loan from Manchester United who has currently shown that he has goalscoring ability. There's also his name sake, El Hadj Diouf but he isn't the same player he used to be infront of goal, now he's more of a winger with his pace still there and he shouldn't really be in contetion for a place upfront unless injury rottens the current strikers at Blackburn.

L
a
s
t
Y
e
a
r
s
S
c
o
r
i
n
g
R
e
c
o
r
d
:

M
a
m
e
D
i
o
u
f
-
G
a
m
e
s
-
G
o
a
l
-
G
o
a
l
s
P
e
r
G
a
m
e

N
i
k
o
l
a
K
a
l
i
n
i
c
-
G
a
m
e
s
-
G
o
a
l
s
-
G
o
a
l
s
P
e
r
G
a
m
e

B
e
n
j
a
n
i
-
G
a
m
e
s
-
G
o
a
l
-
G
o
a
l
s
P
e
r
G
a
m
e

T
h
i
s
Y
e
a
r
s
S
c
o
r
i
n
g
R
e
c
o
r
d
:

M
a
m
e
D
i
o
u
f
-
G
a
m
e
s
-
G
o
a
l
s
-
G
o
a
l
s
P
e
r
G
a
m
e

N
i
k
o
l
a
K
a
l
i
n
i
c
-
G
a
m
e
s
-
G
o
a
l
-
G
o
a
l
s
P
e
r
G
a
m
e

B
e
n
j
a
n
i
-
G
a
m
e
s
-
G
o
a
l
s
-
G
o
a
l
s
P
e
r
G
a
m
e

There's some improvement all around really, bar Benjani who's yet to play. It's very early on but Mame Diouf has done very well with a goal against Arsenal and a hat-trick against Norwich in the Carling Cup. It'll be difficult for Allardyce, he went for one up front for a lot of last season but with the quality upfront he's really got to go for two upfront but who to choose. Kalinic has shown he can score goals, but not frequently. Mame Diouf is full off goals, but inexperienced and not proven in the Premiership. And Benjani hasn't done well in the last couple of seasons but he is a proven Premier League striker.

B
l
a
c
k
b
u
r
n
R
e
g
u
l
a
r
S
q
u
a
d
P
r
e
d
i
c
t
i
o
n
:

Robinson

Chimbonda Nelsen Samba Olsson

Emerton Dunn Andrews Pederson

Kalinic Diouf

So hard to pick with the likes of Gael Givet, El Hadj Diouf & Benjani left out of the squad. So i do apoligize if it's far from accurate.

M
a
m
e
D
i
o
u
f
S
e
a
s
o
n
a
l
R
a
t
i
n
g
P
r
e
d
i
c
t
i
o
n
:
-

N
i
k
o
l
a
K
a
l
i
n
i
c
S
e
a
s
o
n
a
l
R
a
t
i
n
g
P
r
e
d
i
c
t
i
o
n
:
-

B
e
n
j
a
n
i
S
e
a
s
o
n
a
l
R
a
t
i
n
g
P
r
e
d
i
c
t
i
o
n
:
-

Being a Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder of 24 years, i can help out here.

The starting line up is complicated when it gets to midfield because it usually depends on Dunny being fit as he's our gazza. Not many people know how much of a battle there is to get into our midfield. Here is a typical starting 11:

Robinson,

Givet, Samba, Nelsen, Salgado

Diouf Jones/Nzonzi Pedersen Olsson

Dunn

Kalinic/M.B Diouf

Pedersen is still thought of by many as a LM but for most of last season and the beginning of this one he's played as a CM. Due to the fact he is REALLY SLOW. Chimbonda got a rare game as a sub at City but never gets anywhere near the first team anymore.

Best buys:

Phil Jones, looks so accomplished for his age it's frightening and already makes someone like Carragher look like an amateur (not difficult granted). Better at CB than DM though.

Chris Samba: Can't understand how he's still playing for us, an absolute menace, wins everything. Didier Drogb described playing against him like "playing a brick wall". Exactly what a team like Arsenal needs. Don't be surprised if Mancini tries to sign him because he tried whilst at Inter ;-) and his display against City on Saturday will have alerted him again. Hope to god he stays though.

Kalinic: The new Matt Jansen. Holds the ball up outstandingly (berbatov like), touch and passing are excellent needs to start creating more goals for himself though rather than relying on service (good start with 2 in 4 this season). Very agile, very classy, very hardworking.

Best up and comers:

Grant Hanley: Struggled to get first team action this season but was man of the match in a win against Aston Villa at Villa park on the last game of the season. Future Scotland International.

Jr Hoillett: Was the goal scorer in that 1-0 win against Villa, very very quick but needs to seriously work on that final ball. A bit like Lennon but less brains.

Olsson: Ath Madrid and Valencia were all interested before he signed a new contract, every bit as good a Gael Clichy but better in LM.

N'zonzi: Great passer of a ball but can be a little too casual in the wrong areas. Has the ability to dominate games when on form but still very young to have that level of consistency. Wenger was interested in him and Jones in the summer.

Frank Fielding: Somehow got into Cappello's squad last month. Superb talent for the future. We (blackburn) have always had quality keepers e.g. Friedel, Flowers, Robinson and Given so trust our goal-keepng staff to do the same with Frankie.

Being a Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder of 24 years' date=' i can help out here.

The starting line up is complicated when it gets to midfield because it usually depends on Dunny being fit as he's our gazza. Not many people know how much of a battle there is to get into our midfield. Here is a typical starting 11:

Robinson,

Givet, Samba, Nelsen, Salgado

Diouf Jones/Nzonzi Pedersen Olsson

Dunn

Kalinic/M.B Diouf

Pedersen is still thought of by many as a LM but for most of last season and the beginning of this one he's played as a CM. Due to the fact he is REALLY SLOW. Chimbonda got a rare game as a sub at City but never gets anywhere near the first team anymore.

Best buys:

Phil Jones, looks so accomplished for his age it's frightening and already makes someone like Carragher look like an amateur (not difficult granted). Better at CB than DM though.

Chris Samba: Can't understand how he's still playing for us, an absolute menace, wins everything. Didier Drogb described playing against him like "playing a brick wall". Exactly what a team like Arsenal needs. Don't be surprised if Mancini tries to sign him because he tried whilst at Inter ;-) and his display against City on Saturday will have alerted him again. Hope to god he stays though.

Kalinic: The new Matt Jansen. Holds the ball up outstandingly (berbatov like), touch and passing are excellent needs to start creating more goals for himself though rather than relying on service (good start with 2 in 4 this season). Very agile, very classy, very hardworking.

Best up and comers:

Grant Hanley: Struggled to get first team action this season but was man of the match in a win against Aston Villa at Villa park on the last game of the season. Future Scotland International.

Jr Hoillett: Was the goal scorer in that 1-0 win against Villa, very very quick but needs to seriously work on that final ball. A bit like Lennon but less brains.

Olsson: Ath Madrid and Valencia were all interested before he signed a new contract, every bit as good a Gael Clichy but better in LM.

N'zonzi: Great passer of a ball but can be a little too casual in the wrong areas. Has the ability to dominate games when on form but still very young to have that level of consistency. Wenger was interested in him and Jones in the summer.

Frank Fielding: Somehow got into Cappello's squad last month. Superb talent for the future. We (blackburn) have always had quality keepers e.g. Friedel, Flowers, Robinson and Given so trust our goal-keepng staff to do the same with Frankie.[/quote']

Thanks mate, Benjani will be pushing for it though wont he when he gets into action. I know Keith Andrews is injured but he'll surely push for a starting place, i also though Brett Emerton would still be in and arouind the starting line up.

Brilliant stuff though, nice post :)

Thanks mate' date=' Benjani will be pushing for it though wont he when he gets into action. I know Keith Andrews is injured but he'll surely push for a starting place, i also though Brett Emerton would still be in and arouind the starting line up.

Brilliant stuff though, nice post :)[/quote']

Cheers. Benjani will push for a place but don't be suprised if he struggles to get a chance with Kalinic and M.B. Diouf in goal-scoring form. Keith wont get a starting place, he's a boo boy of the Ince era. He and Emerton have become squad players with the emergance of Olsson and Jones. Shame for Emerton really because he should be playing at RB... Thats where he's best. Keep an eye out for Linganzi (CM) who gets in the squad, was bought from St Ettiene last summer for a nominal fee. Josh Morris is poised to sign a professional contract with us as he's getting in the 1st team squad too, not on the DB yet though, but supposed to be the next Duff.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived