English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

TheDuffman

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

2m28eft.jpg

Leeds Miss Out Again

Yet another big name player is set to give Leeds the cold shoulder as talks appear to have broken down with Sunderland. It is thought that a deal on the table from Leeds was good enough to sign the French 'keeper however a rival club appear to have stolen him from under their noses.

Sources close to the Yorkshire side say the Leeds boss is furious that he has been unable to bring Lloris in and that he blames the Sunderland head coach for this breakdown in the deal, and that being made to wait and sweat on a deal he was told was solid is then rejected. With Spanish starlet Jese currently on loan at the club, could this breakdown in not only for Lloris but relations between both managers at Leeds and Sunderland impact the wingers future at Leeds?

Castilla_-_Huesca.jpg

Staying or Going? Jese Rodriguez

Wigan Athletic 2-2 Leeds United

All the possession but Leeds still look for their first win of the season. Going into the game manager Joe Robinson decided to bring back highly sought after Brazilian Lucas who served his suspension, and it was the diminutive midfielder along with Captain Andrea Pirlo and Serb Dusan Tadic that commanded the game.

But for all the possession Wigan could themselves feel hard done by not to take all 3 points. Goals from Pazzini (1) and Nolito (44) twice put the hosts in front, but Dusan Tadic (18) and Lucas Moura (81) scored the goals that helped Leeds to a point.

19587.jpg45408.jpg

Goalscorers: Tadic - Lucas

The Leeds fans left talking about how their side impressed in possession but lacked a real threat at goal, and with just 6 goals in his 19 appearances at the club, many feel someone else will need to come in. Another talking point was that of Jese Rodriguez. After Leeds missed out on signing French 'keeper Hugo Lloris, it is not known whether the Spanish winger will be staying at Elland Road after relations between the two clubs have soured.

2727.jpg

Under Performing: Fernando Llorente

The Yorkshire side still need to invest in the market, it's clear their defence is short and that they need a striker who will consistently hit the back up the net. Up next is a trip to Arsenal, a club in turmoil with terrible transfer dealings and a manager who has gone AWOL.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 2- PT 1

Brighton and Hove Albion top the league after two games thanks to a 9-0 annihilation of Yeovil Town on their own patch. Bacca and Kampl both scored twice for Albion with Dzyuba,Beck,Schneiderlin,Stepanenko and an og from Wegkamp completing the rout.

Newcastle United are second after seeing off Shrewsbury Town 3-0. Sneijder was the hero for the Magpies by scoring a hat trick.

Birmingham City lie third with a 2-0 win at home to Colchester United. Vidic and Kolodziejczak were the men on target for City.

Aldershot Town are in fourth spot after winning 4-2 at home to Chesterfield. Herrera,Insigne,Sow and Guilavogui scored for the Shots with Nordtveit and Canales on target for the Spireites.

Gillingham won 2-1 at Reading to cement fifth place. Uche put the Gills in front but Kramer levelled for the Royals before the interval. Kiyotake got the winner for Gillingham after sixty eight minutes.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 2- PT 2

Rochdale are sixth after they won 3-2 at home to Coventry City. Farfan,Doumbia and Juanfran scored for Rochdale with Ronaldinho and Bojan netting for City.

Wolverhampton Wanderers were 5-2 winners at home to Shorpe United. Diouf got two for Wolves with Barkley,Emenike and Hernanes also on target. Schmitz and Akpan scored for Shorpe.

Doncaster Rovers were beaten 2-1 at home by Plymouth Argyle. Esswein gave Rovers a first half lead but second half goals from Ireland and Carroll won the match for the Pilgrims.

Barnsley won 2-1 at home to QPR. Rangers led through a goal from Emanuelson but the Tykes hit back to win with strikes from Redmond and Barrios.

Exeter City were held to a 2-2 draw at home by Norwich City. Seleznyov and Erding had the Canaries two in front only for Exeter to draw level when Romao and Saivet scored.

2m28eft.jpg

Robinson Fury With Chairman

Further revelations into the poor transfer activity at Leeds has been revealed. Manager Joe Robinson was approached by a journalist after a deal for French central defender Phillipe Mexes fell through. With the Frenchman passing a medical and a fee agreed with A.C Milan, the Leeds chairman pulled the plug on the deal in its final moments when deciding he wouldn't put the cash into the deal that was required.

Upon this collapse in yet another deal for the Yorkshire side, further deals have come to light. One of which was Portuguese central defender Jose Fonte. Robinson claims he had his eye on him for quite some time and even discussed with Fonte in person about coming to Leeds, but Robinson points out that the clubs chairman would not sanction a deal.

jose-fonte-pre-man-city-stock-news148-1225073_478x359.jpg

Missed Out: Jose Fonte

It's frankly ridiculous and getting in the way of this club moving forward! I know Jose well and chat to him all the time, and he was more than happy to join us here at the club. But when I went to the chairman to discuss such a deal I wasn't given the time of day! The only offer we could put in was embarrassing and allowed Bournemouth to come in and sign him.

Further negotiations were in place for another centre half however Robinson decided not to reveal the players name due to the fact the club were still in negotiations, however Robinson also didn't sound too positive on the deal.

Yeah we are in an advance stage of negotiating with another player I'd love to bring in, but when you miss out on the players we have through our chairman and another managers I'm not too hopeful that a deal will go through, but we shall see.

Despite the doom and gloom on the transfer front Leeds find themselves unbeaten in their opening 3 league games after their victory over Arsenal at the Emirates. It's no secret the Arsenal side are not what they used to be, but a win over a big name side like Arsenal will help the fans confidence some what.

Brazilian play maker Lucas Moura has been in great form so far and has been a handful for defences so far and it looks as though the club will rely on him more with fellow attacking midfielder Dusan Tadic being ruled out for almost a month, and also missing will be loanee Enner Valencia for the next 2-3 weeks.

It was a good win for us at Arsenal, but the state of that club now is quite unfortunate. There's a manager in charge who couldn't care less about the side. There are some top quality players still there despite the overhaul he conducted, and to see them relegated was a sad sight. Losing Dusan and Enner is a massive blow for us, in our games so far this season we've kept possession really well and these guys help with the style we go for.

tadic-transfer.jpg

Big Loss: Dusan Tadic

Man-City-banner_zps8a182743.jpg

Thompson thanks departed Terry

5910da36-18a1-4574-81e0-ba9a1f47a6f9_zps21574384.jpg

John Terry has left Manchester City to join fellow division 2 side Walsall

Manchester City manager Steve Thompson has described now departed skipper John Terry as an "inspirational leader" when speaking to media following the 34 years olds move to Walsall. The Veteran defender made a total of 63 league appearances for City after making the move from Chelsea captaining the club to promotion back in season 10.

The move to the Midlands has come as a shock to many after Terry started for City in their weekend win away at Ipswich but with Thompson looking to cut numbers within his squad it seems that Terry's advancing years were the main factor behind his departure.

City boss Steve Thompson had this to say on the move .......

"It was a tough decision to let John go. He has been an inspirational leader for the club and a player i have a huge amount of respect for. The squad needs to be smaller as finances in division 2 are very tight and John has been allowed to move on because of this.

We have Phil Jones, Mam Sakho, Simon Kjaer and Raul Albiol who can all play that position and with John advancing in years we thought it was in his best interest to move clubs and carry on playing regular first team football.

I wish John and Walsall all the best for the coming season. I am sure he will become a key figure for Tony"

Man-City-banner_zps8a182743.jpg

Ronaldo named new City captain

43cf3ae9-0236-4e25-b1f5-3fd283602bab_zps73cf8fbe.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo has been appointed captain of Manchester City following the sale of John Terry

Manchester City have today confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo as their new captain. The appointment follows yesterdays sale of previous captain John Terry to Walsall.

Ronaldo who will celebrate his 30th birthday next month has been a mainstay in the City side since being signed from Arsenal by manager Steve Thompson back in season 10 and after being appointed vice captain upon his arrival it seemed only natural to take on the role full time following the departure of John Terry to Walsall.

Speaking about the news City boss Steve Thompson said ......

" It was a no brainer handing Ronnie the armband he is a leader and inspires his fellow team mates with his performances on the pitch. He has been there and done it and hopefully he will be lifting some silverware very soon"

Ronaldo also spoke about his appointment as captain ......

" I am proud to be handed the captaincy of this fantastic club and i look forward to leading the team to great things. John Terry was a fantastic captain and i have massive boots to fill but i am relishing the challenge"

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 3- PT 1

Newcastle United went top of the table courtesy of a 3-1 win at home to Coventry City. Rhodes scored a hat trick for United with Shatov getting the consolation for City.

Aldershot Town are up to second after a 1-0 win away at Reading. Insigne got the winner for the Shots eight minutes into the contest.

Brighton and Hove Albion are down to third following a 1-1 draw at Rochdale. Bacca gave Brighton the lead from the penalty spot but Doubbia made it all square in the second half.

Gillingham are up to fourth place with a 2-2 draw away at Doncaster Rovers. Rovers were two in front with goals from Okazaki and Baier but Albornoz and Cani scored for the Gills in the last five minutes to bring the scoreline level.

Birmingham City are down to fifth after a 1-0 defeat at home to QPR. Pereira got the winner for Rangers after sixty eight minutes.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 3- PT 2

Barnsley won 2-0 at home to Shorpe United to move up to sixth in the table. Second half goals from Barrios and Schwegler won the match for Barnsley.

Plymouth Argyle came from a goal behind to win 2-1 at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Diouf had given Wolves the lead but a second half brace from Nugent saw Plymouth take the three points.

Exeter City were 2-1 winners at home to Chesterfield. Adriano and Meier scored for City with Canales on target for Chesterfield.

Yeovil Town were beaten 2-1 at home by Norwich City. Flum gave the Canaries the lead but Pasquato got Yeovil level with a goal after sixty nine minutes. Norwich pushed on and won the match when Sahan scored with twelve minutes to play.

Shrewsbury Town were comfortable 4-1 winners at home to Colchester United. Two goals each from Darida and Kalou sealed the victory with Kasaev getting the goal for Colchester.

IN THE SPURS HOTSEAT: STEVEN GERRARD (THE CAPTAIN)

INTHESPURSHOTSEAT2PNG_zps2ac3b59f.png

Q: Welcome to In The Spurs Hotseat, Steven. As club captain, you obviously played an instrumental role in Tottenham’s triumphant season last time out. How did it feel to get your hands on the title having been away from it for so long?

SG: Thank you. It was a relief for me and the rest of the squad alike to finally reach the top once more. Obviously, in previous seasons we have seemed to tumble at the last hurdle, so to actually push on and maintain our position for once was a great feeling. I captained the team, but it was certainly a joint effort. Although, it is always nice to be the first one in the squad to get your hands on the trophy.

Q: Having joined Tottenham all the way back in Season One, you’ve been involved in all of Tottenham’s triumphs over the years. Out of all the moments, which one is your favourite?

SG: I’d say the title win in Season Three is probably my favourite. As a player, you dream of winning both domestic and European titles, and I’ve been very fortunate in that respect, but winning my first league title will always be a milestone in my career. Whatever I do and wherever I am after my days at this club, I’ll never get my hands on the Division One title for the very first time again.

Q: Has there/is there any player in particular that you’ve most enjoyed playing alongside during your time at Tottenham?

SG: It’s hard to narrow it down to just one player, as ‘ve been fortunate enough to play with some fantastic players in my time here. Although, I suppose as an attacking midfielder that you want nothing more than a good finisher on the end of your through balls, so I’ll to go with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Robin Van Persie. Robin has obviously been at the club a lot longer than Zlatan was, but to play just behind two world class strikers was more than I could have wished for.

QUICKFIRE ROUND

Q: Who is the laziest player in training?

SG: Inazio [Abate] is a funny one in training. He’s not necessarily lazy, but he’s much more laid back than the rest of the lads. To be fair, he’s also one of the jokers in the dressing room, so I’ll let him off.

Q: Who’s the longest in the shower?

SG: I don’t know, I haven’t looked. But no, the new boy, Neven [subotic], spends ages washing his hair. We don’t ask what else he gets up to during his half an hour wash but we’ll keep it clean for now.

Q: Who in the dressing room has the worst taste in music?

SG: That’s a tough one. A few of the younger lads like [Alex-] Oxlade and Wilfried [Zaha] are into all that grime stuff. It’s alright, but at the same time it’s a bit of a racket. For that reason, I guess I’ll go with those two.

Q: Which player has the worst fashion sense?

SG: I don’t exactly dress like a fashion model myself, but I’ll have to go with Rafael. He turns up to training in all sorts of gear, and don’t even get me started on some of the boots he thinks about buying. Horrendous.

Thank you for sitting down and chatting to us, Steven. Just one last question before you go:

Q: Just to put you on the spot once last time… Who is the best player at the club?

SG: Thank you for having me!

Like I’ve already said, it’s hard to narrow it down. I guess in terms of importance, Gareth [bale] and Robin [Van Persie] are the two most instrumental players in the squad. Whether they’re scoring, assisting, or doing both in the same game, the two of them always play a huge part in any success we have.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 4- PT 1

Newcastle United eased to a 6-0 win at Shorpe United to stay top with maximum points. Martinez and Ibrahimovic both scored twice for the Magpies with Sneijder and Pastore adding to the rout.

Aldershot Town are second and they themselves have four wins from four. This latest victory was a 6-0 win at home to Exeter City. Bell got two for the Shots with Rodrigo,Sow,Feghouli and Guilanogui adding the other goals.

Birmingham City are up to third with a 3-0 win at Coventry City in the Midlands derby. Narsingh,Taarabt and Cavanda were the heroes on the day for Birmingham.

Barnsley moved up to fourth place after leaving Brighton and Hove Albion with a 2-0 victory. Defoe scored both goals for the Tykes.

Rochdale climbed to fifth with a 3-1 win away at Plymouth Argyle. Two goals from Farfan and a strike from Destro gave Rochdale a three goal cushion before Carroll got a late consolation for Plymouth.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 4- PT 2

Gillingham are down to sixth after being held 1-1 at home by Yeovil Town. Kiyotake gave the Gills a first half lead but Lambert levelled for Yeovil with just under twenty minutes to play.

Chesterfield were beaten 1-0 at home by Doncaster Rovers. Marlos got the winner for Rovers after eighteen minutes.

Norwich City lost 3-0 at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers. Sow,Yanga-Mbiwa and M'bia scored for Wolves.

Shrewsbury Town won 3-0 away at QPR. Choupu-Moting grabbed a brace for the Shrews with Darida adding to the scoreline.

Colchester United suffered a 1-0 defeat at home to Reading. Oliveira got the winner for the Royals on the half hour mark.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 5- PT 1

Aldershot Town maintained their hundred per cent start to the season with a 2-1 win at Doncaster Rovers and go top of the table. Rodrigo and Insigne scored for the Shots with Cohade on target for Rovers.

Newcastle United are down to second after losing 1-0 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion who move up to fifth. Bacca got the only goal of the match after twelve minutes.

Birmingham City won 3-1 at home to Shorpe United to climb to third place in the league. Taarabt,Cuenca and Damiao were on target for City with Boyes netting for United.

Gillingham are up to fourth with a 4-1 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Kachunga scored a hat trick for the Gills with Aguilar adding to the scoreline. Barkley got the consolation for Wolves.

Shrewsbury Town are sixth after winning 2-1 at home to Coventry City. Dragovic gave the Shrews the lead but Bojan levelled things up in the fifty fifth minute. Danilo got the winner when he scored with just under twenty minutes to go.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 5- PT 2

Barnsley lost 2-0 at home to Plymouth Argyle. First half goals from Mcmanaman and Carroll did the damage for Plymouth.

Rochdale were beaten 1-0 by Norwich City. Frei got the only goal of the game with sixty four minutes on the clock.

Exeter City were involved in a six goal thriller at home to Reading but ended up losing 4-2. Oliveira grabbed himself a hat trick for the Royals with Kramer also on target. Vazquez got both goals for City.

Yeovil Town were 1-0 losers in their home match with Chesterfield. Nordtveit got the winner for the Spireites with three minutes to go.

QPR lost 3-0 at home to Colchester United. Stoch,Denilson and Clement were the scorers for Colchester.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 6- PT 1

Table toppers Aldershot Town were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Yeovil

Town. Vucinic had given the Glovers the lead but Sow converted a second half penalty to give Aldershot a share of the spoils.

Gillingham moved up to second with a 1-0 win at home to Rochdale. Uche got the winner for the Gills when he scored after thirty eight minutes.

Birmingham City stay third after earning a 3-3 draw away at Brighton and Hove Albion. Carrick,Menez and Taarabt scored for City with Bacca helping himself to a hat trick for Albion.

A thrilling match at Plymouth saw the the Pilgrims move up to sixth in the table with a 5-4 win against Newcastle United who slip to fourth. Ireland scored a hat trick for Argyle with Lansbury and Nugent also on target. Badstuber,Ibrahimovic and Sneijder scored for the Magpies.

Shrewsbury Town are up to fifth place after winning 3-1 at Shorpe United. A Choupo-Moting brace and one from Kalou were enough to win the points for the Shrews. Paris got the consolation for Shorpe.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 6- PT 2

Norwich City won 3-1 at home to Barnsley. Fernando gave the Canaries the lead but Barrios scored for Barnsley to give the travelling contingent some hope. That was quickly ended when Guerrero scored three minutes later with Flum adding a third after sixty five minutes to finish the contest.

Reading drew 1-1 at home to Doncaster Rovers. Marlos gave Rovers the lead but Kramer equalised for the Royals six minutes later.

Wolverhampton Wanderers let slip a two goal lead to draw 2-2 at Chesterfield. Silva and Djuricic had given Wolves the two goal cushion but two goals from Paloschi brought the Spireites level.

Colchester United were beaten 2-1 at home by Exeter City. Mendes and Lima gave Exeter a two goal lead before Caicedo got one back for United.

Coventry City were 2-1 winners in their home game versus QPR. Bittencourt and Ronaldinho scored for Coventry with Pereira on target for Rangers.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 7- PT 1

League leaders Aldershot Town found themselves a goal behind at Wolverhampton Wanderers when Bradley scored but the Shots levelled three minutes later through N'zonzi to earn the point and keep them in pole position.

Plymouth Argyle won 4-2 at Birmingham City to move up to second place. Carroll netted twice for the Pilgrims with Nugent and Mcmanaman also on target. Cerci got both goals for City who are down to sixth with the defeat.

Brighton and Hove Albion climbed to third place with a 2-1 win away at Shrewsbury Town. Bacca and Schneiderlin put Brighton two up before Vainqueur got one back for the Shrews.

Gillingham are down to fourth place after a 3-0 defeat at Barnsley. Barrios,Pandev and Alex were the men on target for Barnsley.

Newcastle United slip to fifth after being held 2-2 at home by Norwich City. The Canaries were two in front when Bungert and Fernandes scored but the Magpies hit back in the last thirteen minutes when Tevez and Martinez scored.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 7- PT 2

Yeovil Town drew 2-2 at home to Reading. Kallstrom gave Yeovil the lead but Dongou equalised for Reading from the penalty spot. The Royals went ahead when Kostic netted but Yeovil fought back to level with a goal from Maicon.

Doncaster Rovers shared the points with a 2-2 draw at home to Exeter City. Ninis scored twice for Exeter with Okazaki and Ibisevic on target for the home side.

Rochdale were beaten 3-1 at home by Chesterfield. Sigurdsson,Nordtveit and Rojo won the match for the Spireites with Farfan getting a consolation goal for Rochdale.

Coventry City lost 1-0 at home to Colchester United. Brozovic got the only goal of the match four minutes after the interval.

Shorpe United left QPR with all three points after a 2-1 victory. Fernandez and Dias scored for United with Hinestroza on target for the Hoops.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 8- PT 1

Top of the table Aldershot Town recorded a 2-0 win at home to Rochdale. Both goals were scored by Insigne in the second half.

Brighton and Hove Albion moved into second place with a 4-1 win at home to QPR. Things started well for Rangers when Pereira scored but it all went downhill from there as Albion took control. Dzyuba,Bacca,Scneiderlin and Kampl secured the victory.

Newcastle United are up to third place after a 3-1 win at Gillingham who go down to fifth. Sneijder,Tevez and Ibrahimovic were on target for the Magpies with Mechele scoring for the Gills.

Plymouth Argyle were held to a 3-3 draw at home to Shrewsbury Town and slip to fourth in the table. Mcmanaman got two for Plymouth with Nugent also scoring. The Shrews had their own two goal hero in Gentner with Tosic adding the other.

Norwich City move up to sixth with a 2-1 home win versus Birmingham City. Schieber and Frei gave the Canaries a two goal lead before Cerci got one back for the Blues.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 8 - PT 2

Reading were 2-0 winners at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers. Kramer and Hofmann got the goals for the Royals.

Chesterfield beat Barnsley 2-1. Traore and Garmash gave the Spireites a two goal first half lead with Barrios getting a late consolation for the Tykes.

Exeter City were 2-1 victors in their home game with Yeovil Town. Wernbloom and Ekici were on target for Exeter with Berbatov scoring for Yeovil.

Colchester United were held to a 0-0 draw at home by Doncaster Rovers.

Coventry City went to Shorpe United and battered them 6-0. Sigthorsson hit a hat trick for City with Ronaldinho grabbing a brace in this brilliant away day for Coventry.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 9- PT 1

Leaders Aldershot Town came from a goal down to draw 1-1 at Barnsley. Reyes had given the Tykes an eleventh minute lead but Sow levelled things up in the second half.

Second placed Brighton and Hove Albion were beaten 1-0 at Coventry City. Ronaldinho got the winner for City two minutes before the interval.

Plymouth Argyle are up to third place with a 1-1 draw at QPR. Nugent put the Pilgrims in front but Parolo equalised for Rangers twelve minutes later.

Newcastle United go down to fourth in the table after a 2-1 defeat at home to Chesterfield. Garmash gave the Spireites an early lead but Ibrahimovic scored for the Magpies to make it all square at half time. Sigurdsson got the winner for Chesterfield with five minutes left to play.

Birmingham City moved into fifth spot with a 2-1 home win versus Gillingham. Menez and Varela put the Blues two in front before Cani got one back for the Gills.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 9- PT 2

Norwich City drew 2-2 at Shrewsbury Town to stay sixth in the league. Gueye scored twice for the Shrews with Bungert and Fernandes on target for City.

Rochdale won 1-0 at home to Reading. Vietto got the only goal of the game with sixty eight minutes on the clock.

Wolverhampton Wanderers were 2-0 victors in their home match with Exeter City. Both goals came in the second half from Stindl and Diouf.

Yeovil Town beat Doncaster Rovers 1-0. Kaboul was the man on target for the Glovers with just sixteen minutes played.

Shorpe United lost 1-0 at home to Colchester United. Jurado was the Colchester hero.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 10- PT 1

Leaders Aldershot Town suffered their first defeat of the season when they went down 2-1 at home to Newcastle United who go into third place on the back of this win. Sow had given the Shots the lead but Ibrahimovic and Martinez scored for the Magpies to secure the points.

Brighton and Hove Albion stay second with a 2-1 win at home to Shorpe United. Ekdal put United one up before normal service was resumed by Brighton when Kampl and Silva scored.

Norwich City move up to fourth place after a 2-1 win at home to QPR. Two late goals from Erding won the game for the Canaries after they had been a goal down to an El Arabi strike.

Shrewsbury Town climb to fifth after a 1-0 win at Gillingham. Gueye got the Shrews goal three minutes before the interval.

A 1-0 victory at home to Birmingham City saw Chesterfield take sixth place in the table. Nordtveit got the winner for the Spireites with twenty five minutes on the clock.

DIVISION 3 REVIEW- MATCHDAY 10- PT 2

Plymouth Argyle were well beaten 4-0 at home by Coventry City. Bittencourt scored twice for City with Sigthorsson and Badelj adding the other goals.

Barnsley won 3-1 at Reading. Barrios(2) and Palombo were the men on target for the Tykes with Calanhoglu scoring for the Royals.

Doncaster Rovers lost 1-0 at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers. The only goal of the game was scored in the second half by Toivonen.

Exeter City went down 1-0 in their home match with Rochdale. Prcic scored the winner for Rochdale after fifty four minutes.

Yeovil Town left Colchester United with all three points after a 3-2 win. Lambert,Vucinic and Maicon scored for the Glovers with Agirretxe getting both goals for United.

Powerhouse forward Fernando Llorente signs for Chesterfield

fernando-llorente_xh6don1dnx071dm04kbov431k_zps9dcfb74e.jpg

Marquee signing Fernando Llorente is delighted to help Chesterfield push for promotion

Chesterfield sealed the transfer of Spanish striker Fernando Llorente from Division Two club, Leeds United. The Spireites broke their transfer record to secure Llorente with an amazing three way deal consisting of Togolese striker Emmanuel Adebayor, South Korean midfielder Koo Ja Cheol and 1.2 million, accumulating to a total of 13 million in player sales and cash.

A player of world class talent, Llorente fell out with Leeds manager Joe Robinson after a spate of poor performances and the English manager publically criticising the Spanish international’s form, both parties were looking for a way out and the Spireites jumped at the opportunity.

Standing at 193cm, Llorente is no shrinking violet using his strength and large frame to hold off would-be defenders, coupled with his ability to hold up the ball and superb aerial ability, the Spanish International seems like a perfect fit as a target man in a Glory Day’s system. Aside from his current season, Llorente has had a healthy goal scoring record with 122 goals and 75 assists in 288 appearances.

Manager Glory Days expressed his thoughts on the Llorente signing

“We are delighted to welcome Fernando into the club with such a rich history and reputation of building players up to play at a world class level. Fernando has had a tough season at Leeds but he was very enthusiastic to help us push for promotion.

At 29, I think the best of Llorente is yet to come. He is a world class player who is big and strong with brilliant aerial ability and great technical ability for a big man. We will give Fernando the time he needs to settle into our style of play but I do expect Fernando to give his all to the club.”

In the opposite direction, Chesterfield bid farewell to Togolese striker Emmanuel Adebayor and South Korean midfielder Koo Ja Cheol. Although Adebayor had a bright start to his Chesterfield career with five goals and two assists in eight matches, the Togolese international struggled to replicate his goal scoring form and became a divisive figure in the dressing room.

In contrast, South Korean international Koo Ja Cheol was the consummate professional, accumulating 72 appearances over four seasons. Capable of playing across the front three as well as defensive and central midfield, his breakthrough season resulted in eight goals and five assists in 38 matches, picking up the fan’s favourite award last season.

However Llorente’s debut will have to wait since he played in Leed’s Shield clash against Cardiff City and won’t be fit enough for the match day squad against Queen Park Rangers but if Manager Glory Days can replicate the Spanish forward’s best form, he will be a truly devastating force for the Spireites.