English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

TheDuffman

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

Reading_badge.png

moussa-sissoko-m.jpg

Moussa Sissoko saying his goodbyes ?

News coming out of Reading today is that highly rated central midfielder Moussa Sissoko has been having negotiations with an unnamed club about a possible transfer. The transfer looks set to be completed in the next few weeks and highly liked Reading manager Michael Bowes has already set his self on a few players that could come in and take over the role Sissoko posses. With the fee already agreed between the two clubs Mr Bowes has stated he doesn’t plan to open the bid to the public until nearer the time but has assured the clubs loyal fans it’s a deal which suits both clubs.

News also coming out of Reading today is that Bowes is trying to offload winger Pedro Leon. The Spaniard who came from Real Madrid for a fee believed to be in the region of £8.5m looks set to be moved on and Bowes stated that hell rather see a deal which let him stay in England and is welcome to a cash or player exchange offer.

Two other highly rated players at the Madejski stadium, Fernando Muslera & Roberto Soldado has been assured by Michael Bowes that they won’t be leaving the club anytime soon though. Muslera who has been appointed captain since Bowes’s appointment came out and said a few words to the media on the matter:

The coach has said he’s looking to build a stable squad and he sees me in his future plans. I’m delighted to be here and owe Reading a lot for giving me this chance to test myself against some of the biggest names in football. The fans have been really good to the players even though were going through a bad patch this season and were trying to repay their faith in us by turning around our form and pushing up the table to stable our selves as a division 2 club before we push on for promotion.

b_19.pngb_44.png

Tottenham 3-2 Wolves

Tottenham Hotspur made it 4 wins in 4 for new manager Joe Robinson, after another thrilling display at White Hart Lane. The previous home game for Spurs was the 6-5 victory over Ipswich. This game did not produce as many goals but provided some brilliant attacking football and drama.

For the game, Spurs recalled transfer listed Emmanuel Adebayor for Edin Dzeko who was not fully fit. And Adebaoyr almost made an instant impact for Spurs after just 8 minutes played. A good ball in from the in form Zarate was met brilliantly by Adebayor who saw his effort came back off the post.

One of the games big talking points came in the 18th minute. Bastian Schweinsteiger put in a very strong tackle on Lucho Gonzalez, and the ref warranted it worthy as just a yellow, however there were many who felt who could have been shown red. The game continued to heat up with Simao being shown a yellow card for a late lunge after 25 minutes.

But after half an hour the football took centre stage. A floated cross from Denisov was converted brilliantly by Argentine Lisandro Lopez, whoose over head kick left Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris rooted in the centre of his goal.

_44268223_lopez_getty.jpg

Lisandro and Lucho celebrate going infront

Just 2 minutes later Wolves suffered a huge set back. Having not learnt from his earlier yellow, Simao was late again in a challenge, and referee Cesar Fernandez showed his a second yellow closely followed by a red card.

It didn't take long for Spurs to take full advantage, as with just a further 9 minutes on the clock, Emmanuel Adebayor stooped at the far post to convert a brilliant Gareth Bale cross to bring Spurs level at the break.

1956759896.jpg

Adebayor celebrates the equiliser

Spurs came out for the second half early showing their intent, and with just 5 minutes into the second half they were infront. Schweinsteiger played a lovely ball in behind the Wolves defence, and Zarate's pace got him to ball first a produced a glorious lob over the keeper to put Spurs infront.

However just like when Wolves went in front, Spurs also shot themselves in the foot. Bastian Schweinsteiger prevented Wolves taking a free kick quickly, and the referee issued his a second yellow card and both sides were down to 10 men.

The sendings off seemed to have dragged the tempo of the game down, with both sides failing to create any clear cut chances. But with 68 minutes on the clock, a lovely one two between Fernando Torres and Adebayor saw the later clean through on goal and drilled it first time into the far corner to put Spurs in control and gave them some breathing space.

Wolves then got back into the game. First Runo Alexis smashed a 25 yard effort from nothing that came back off the Spurs cross bar. He didn't score but it gave Wolves belief they were not out of the game. And this was evident just 5 minutes later, as Alberot Gilardino clipped the ball over an advancing Lloris to bring the score back to just 1 goal.

Spurs were able to hold out for the final 10 minutes, with both sides looking drained after an enthralling encounter.

59525_news.jpg

M.o.M: Mauro Zarate

The win keeps Spurs right behind London rivals Fulham, only below them through goal differece. And also with Nottingham Forest failing to win, a 4 point gap has opppened from 4th to 5th.

Tottenham Manager: Joe Robinson

Delighted to keep the run going. We have been playing some magnificent football, and players are really stepping up in the fight for Champions League football. Zarate was untouchable today. He has been brilliant in the last few games. Although I'd like to give special praise to Ade. He's been on the transfer list as soon as I got here, and when I called upon him to play tonight, he was more than happy to, and also produced a great display.

Up next for Spurs will be Sheffield Wednesday in the Quarter Finals of the English Shield, and Spurs are liekly to field a much weakened side.

Southend run ends at home

Southend United 1 vs 2 Rotherham United match review

3825797853soccercocacol.jpg

Martyn Waghorn got the only goal for Southend

Southend United's unbeaten league run came to an end yesterday as they fell to a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Rotherham United. The shrimper's who still harbor hopes of a playoff place continue to struggle on home soil winning just one of their eleven games at Roots Hall.

Southend manager Steve Thompson stuck with the same starting XI that beat Wycombe convincingly last time round so Eddie Johnson was given the chance to add to his five league goals that he has scored since joining the club.

The home side started the match on the front foot and could have took the lead within a minute but Eddie Johnson saw his close range effort cleared off the line. Straight from the clearance the Millers countered and took a surprise early lead with just two minutes of the match gone. Midfielder Sebastián GONZALEZ bagged his eighth Rotherham goal with trademark finish 0-1.

Southend were not deterred by that early goal and just three minutes later they were level. Striker Martyn WAGHORN seized on an error in the Rotherham defense before rounding the keeper and finishing with ease 1-1.

After that frantic start the pace of the game settled down somewhat as both teams plotted their next move. The rest of the half was one of very few chances the best falling to the home side through Adel Taarabt who saw his superb diving header come back off the woodwork. HALF TIME 1-1.

adeltaraabt2040738.jpg

Adel Taarabt hit the woodwork for Southend

Both sides started cautiously in the second half the first real chance coming on 53 minutes when a scramble in the Southend box nearly resulted in a chance for the Millers but Shrimper's keeper Fraser Forster did well to pounce on the ball through a ruck of players.

Southend did not read that warning at were punished on 65 minutes when Rotherham grabbed what proved to be the winner. Swedish striker Anton TINNERHOLM rose highest to head home from a cross 1-2.

The home side went in search of that elusive equalizer and came close on 71 minutes but Adel Taarabt blasted a decent chance wide. The home faithful couldn't fault their teams endeavor and with just a few minutes left of the game they had one last glorious chance through on loan midfielder David Edwards. The Welsh international struck a great shot from distance which looked destined to hit the back of the net but Millers keeper Renan produced a world class save to ensure his side took all the points. FULL TIME 1-2.

After the game Southend boss Steve Thompson reflected on his sides first defeat in six games.

"It's a tough defeat or us to take but we can't be too downhearted. Our form before today was fantastic and i am sure we can go on another unbeaten run.

The home form is a concern admittedly one win on home soil is not good and that needs to change quickly if we want to challenge for a playoff place.

Everything is still to play for we have a tough game away at Aldershot next but if we win that we can climb as far as 9th place so the lads will be right up for it"

Steve025-SouthendUnitedEC7046Request.png

Thompson - We need a reaction

linganzi.jpg

Amine Linganzi hoping for his first start for Southend

Southend make the trip to the recreation ground tomorrow looking to get back to winning ways against playoff hopefuls Aldershot Town. The Shrimper's fell to defeat against Rotherham last time out their first loss in six games and that defeat pushed them back down to 12th position in division four.

The game against Aldershot is going to be a tough test of Thompson's side credentials with the Shot's boasting a number of star players namely Spanish striking legend Raul who has scored four goals in 21 games.

Southend will be hoping that their star player Adel Taarabt will find goals again after a blistering spell under Thompson whilst American international Eddie Johnson will be hoping to add to his five goals since his move.

Southend have no injury's or suspensions to contend with so that will be a massive bonus heading into one of their toughest trips of the season. Aldershot will be missing highly rated Polish winger Mateusz Mozdzen with the six goal man sitting out due to a thigh strain.

Southend manager Steve Thompson spoke to a packed Roots Hall press conference earlier this morning.

"This is without doubt one of the toughest games of the season. Aldershot have some very talented players in their squad and we will have to be right on top of our game to stop them.

We need a reaction after our last game and the boys have shown me in training that they are ready to go out and put things right. Our performance against Rotherham was good on the whole but we didn't take our chances and in the end we was punished.

The squad has a clean bill of health which is fantastic but i am unsure of what kind of system i am going to play. I have Amine Linganzi and John Guidetti who have both come off the bench in recent times and done well so i may throw these lads in and see if the hunger is there.

I know people won't fancy us but i have faith in my boys performances have been pleasing and if we find that killer instinct that was missing against Rotherham i have every confidence that we can come away with something"

0000128C-6F32-134B-9C3A0C01AC1BF814.jpg

MR ZENIT ST PETERSBURG SIGNS FOR HUDDERSFIELD

220px-VyacheslavMalafeev.jpg

Malafeev

Goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malafeev has became Division 3 leaders Huddersfields new goalkeeper after Marco Storrarri left the club amidst a cloud of controversy which no-one at the club is willing to talk about.

Malafeev who has the nickname Mr Zenit having spent 11 profesional years with the club following 3 years at Zenit-2.

When asked why he joined Huddersfield Town he said he met the manager Dan Malone during a late night poker game and they got chatting and found that they were very alike in there footballing aspects and decided to come to Huddersfield to learn the English game to help him hopefully be a better coach when his playing days finish as he one day hopes to coach Zenit St Petersburg one day.

2008-UEFAcupWinner.jpg

Malafeev celebrating winning the Uefa cup with Zenit.

Dan Malone was asked what he thought of his new keeper :

Since the day we met and conversated and found out that our footballing mantalities are very similar I managed to persuade him to come and join up at Huddersfield where he will be appointed number 1 goalkeeper.I think he is a great shot stopper and I have admired him for a while.Players that have had there hands on a European Trophy are the type of players with quality and experience we want to bring to the Galpharm.

When asked about why Storrarri left Malone replied:

No Comment.

Untitled-2-1.png

MILLWALL in DOUBLE TRANSFER SWOOP

HARGREAVES & DESSENA to join MILLWALL

Owen HARGREAVES (30) & Daniele DESSENA (23) have both agreed to join Millwall. Transfers should be completed in the next 24 hrs.

Both players should help to bolster Millwall's midfield.

The King of Cups!

(Part 1)

king-of-cups.jpg?w=178&h=324

Okay, so here it is, the King of Cups, a competition within a competition that charts how well your team has done in all domestic cup competitions (the English Shield and Cup) across all seasons.

Teams get points for how far they progress in each season's cups. There's 1 point for getting knocked out in the first round, 2 point for making it to the 2nd round, 3 for the 3rd round, 4 for the 4th round, 5 for reaching the quarter-finals, 6 for a semi-final spot, 7 if you're runner-up, and 8 for the winner.

The current standings (the King of Cups table will be updated periodically as the cup competitions progress) will be revealed over the next few days, beginning with those who haven't done so well.

Given that interest in the King of Cups seems apathetic at best (seemingly 'cos no-one actually cares about the domestic cups - is that really true?!) I'll not got to town on fancy presentation here, but will just plonk the table down straight from excel.

Remember:

- It is not on your managerial performance, but that of the clubs (as if I'm gonna bother breaking it out by manager. I have noted though those 33 clubs where the original manager is still at they helm and they can be held fully responsible for their clubs' cup performances)

- It includes results from seasons 1 & 2, not just this season.

- There are no SMFA or Charity Shield results included so that all clubs can be compared equally.

- You get points for progressing even if you went through on penalties, it's according to what round you got to that gives you points, not if you won or not. You will also get more points for being drawn in the 2nd round and getting knocked out than a club who is knocked out in the first round, that's just the luck of the draw.

Okay, so here's the results from the clubs ranked 52nd equal all the way down to lowly 80th spot showing how far each club progressed in each competition, total points, and the club's ranking:

picture8mf.png

sos300.gif

Poor old Southend, they certainly do need saving!

The next set of ranking will come up in a day or so. Let me know if you've any questions of spot any mistakes. Oh and no, it's not a mistake that Fulham are all the way down there, they really are that bad. ;)

Untitled-2-1.png

LEICESTER 1 MILLWALL 1

Millwall's fine away form continued with a great result at Leicester.

MILLWALL dominated with 54% of possession and had 18 shots with 11 on target. Millwall equalised on 86 minutes when ROMARIC scored from 15 yds.

Romaric is proving to be a very good buy with his 2 goals and 1 MOM in 2 games.

Millwall nearly snatched all three points when SAMEDOV hit the woodwork on 88 mins.

b_9.pngb_19.png

Liverpool 1-0 Tottenham

Spurs boss Joe Robinson suffered his first defeat in a frustrating encounter at Anfield. Tottenham went into the game with new signing Alvaro Arbeloa being thrown straight into the starting line up, however Spurs were shut out by a solid Liverpool defence.

It took just 5 minutes of the game for the first major talking point occuresd. A two footed lunge from Liverpool midfielder Anderson on Bastian Schweinsteiger left the referee with no choice but to show him a straight red card.

Spurs were unable to benefit from being a man up, and were almost a goal down. 10 minutes after the sending off, a brilliant long range effort from Angel Di Maria came back off the bar. It didn't go in but it lifted the crowd another notch.

Liverpool continued to dictate the game despite being a man down, and punished Spurs just before the half hour, however the goal came from shocking defending. Joleon Lescott's back pass was much too short for Lloris and Sergio Aguero stole in and fired home to give Liverpool a much deserved lead, and that is how the scores remained going into the break.

aguero0820reu_793113c.jpg

1-0: Sergio Aguero

The second half played similar to the first. Just two minutes into it, Nigel De Jong had an effort cleared of the line by debutant Arbeloa to keep the score to 1-0, and then moments later, David Luiz appeared to tripped in the box, but after consulting his linesman the referee did not award a penalty.

Spurs did begin to string a few moves together, however they rarely troubled the Liverpool goal. And with them being unable to make the most of their spell in possession, Sergio Aguero went up the other and saw an effort crash off the bar.

8591a7c6ec3c14b5_Steven_Gerrard_England_v_France_International_Ji4_f6EcSuGl.xxlarge.jpg

Defeated: Spurs Captain, Steven Gerrard

It is a bitter blow in terms of Spurs fight to climb the table, however in todays game they did not produce the same football that saw them go on their good run of form.

Simply put, we didn't deserve to win. The thing that is most irritating is that we were up against a side with 10 men pretty much for the whole game, yet we were chasing the ball. We failed to create any clear cut opportunites, and the goal we conceded was through our own mistakes. We have a huge game next week against Arsenal, and we will need to get this performance out of our system as we were dreadful today

Colchester_United.gif

COLCHESTER UNITED APPOINT JON ASHBY AS NEW MANAGER

Following a press conference early on Thursday morning, Colchester United have confirmed that Englishman Jon Ashby will take charge of the club with immediate effect.

The 18 year old watched Colchester's 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Exeter from the stands yesterday and will be looking to stop the rot which has seen Colchester win just one of their previous 10 games.

"Everybody who knows me will know how passionate I am about football and this is a fantastic opportunity for me. Colchester are a great club with some decent players and they are certainly don't deserve to be where they are now. They have been leaking goals recently so my first priority is to sure up the defence. Just last year they were in Division 3 and it is my aim to get Colchester back where they belong."

With dwindling attendances and a side currently 17th in Division 4, Ashby has a tough job on his hands to turn it around. It is Ashby's decision now to choose whether to keep disgraced midfielder Joey Barton at the club.

_44672844_barton2_pa_282.jpg

Joey Barton was jailed for six months for assault and affray.

I'll meet with the player before I decide anything," said Ashby. "He's obviously a brilliant player for Division 4, there's no denying that, but I can't help but wonder if his influence and reputation around the dressing-room is having a negative affect on the people around him. He'd fetch a good sum of money were we to sell him, but like I said I'll sit down and talk with Joey before any decision is made."

Ashby starts his reign at Colchester on Saturday at home against 15th placed Tranmere.

1242250097.jpg1242250097.jpg

newcastle-badge.gif2 v 4 wigan_badge.png

Wigan put in a highly impressive performance to see off Newcastle on Wednesday evening with the home side with the exception of Piotr Trochowski who did impress the rest however seemed to be lacking any real commitment to the team and it showed with the home side 4-1 down after 55 minutes.

Wigan needed just 4 minutes to open the scoring with Ruban Michel heading home from a perfect cross the home side did however hit back just 12 minutes later with Piotr Trochowski who was left one on one with the Wigan keeper and calmly slotted home the equalizer, Wigan however went into half time ahead thanks to Javi Martinez who netted his 5th of the season.

Wigan kept applying the pressure into the second half and broke through the Newcastle defense once again this time Marko Marin with his 7th of the season the home fans were again stunned just 2 minutes later when Javi Martinez added his 2nd of the game to give the visitors an unbeatable 4-1 lead the home side did have one glimmer of hope when Piotr Trochowski added a 2nd the hard working midfielder fully deserving of his two goal however his performance was slightly dented by a clear dive in the penalty box in the 82nd minute and was rightly booked for it.

This win move Wigan back up into the top 10 and into a place for the SMFA Shield while Newcastle continue with their dismal run of form and slip down into 11th place.

Wigan News

2991_1291030325.jpg

Pablo Aimar

Pablo Aimar has joined Wigan from Benfica for a fee of £801,000 + Ádám Szalai & Callum Mcmanaman the 31y/o who signs a 3 year contract with the club worth £44,850 per week is expected to provide some much needed depth in the Wigan midfield which has been lacking at times this season.

2382_1283011585.jpg

Alessandro Del Piero

Wigan have signed veteran italian attacking midfielder Alessandro Del Piero for a fee of £546,000 + Won-Hee Cho the former Blackpool player who made 8 appearances in a short stay at the club scoring 4 goals signs a 4 year contract with the club worth £44,400 per week both he and Aimar are expected to start in Wigan's next league game against Everton

The King of Cups!

(Part 2)

Okay, so next up in the King of Cups are positions 27th to 46th, the top 20-ish clubs will be posted tomorrow.

Just a reminder, teams get points for how far they progress in each season's cups. There's 1 point for getting knocked out in the first round, 2 point for making it to the 2nd round, 3 for the 3rd round, 4 for the 4th round, 5 for reaching the quarter-finals, 6 for a semi-final spot, 7 if you're runner-up, and 8 for the winner.

Remember:

- It is not on your managerial performance, but that of the clubs (as if I'm gonna bother breaking it out by manager. I have noted though those 33 clubs where the original manager is still at they helm and they can be held fully responsible for their clubs' cup performances)

- There are no SMFA or Charity Shield results included so that all clubs can be compared equally.

- You get points for progressing even if you went through on penalties, it's according to what round you got to that gives you points, not if you won or not. You will also get more points for being drawn in the 2nd round and getting knocked out than a club who is knocked out in the first round, that's just the luck of the draw.

Okay, so here's 27th ranking spot down to 46th (52nd down to 80th can be viewed here):

picture10gc.png

Carlisle are the only team on this part of the table still competing this season so have a chance to rise in the rankings. And check out Liverpool way down there! Not quite as bad as Fulham but still lower than expected (I mean, it's not like they don't have the squad to compete, the common reason put forward by many)

liverpool_northamp_1722916c.jpg

Early cup exits are something they're used to at Anfield

And none of this is meant to be taken seriously, it's obvious that some teams don't put too much effort into the cups. It's just a little 'extra' that is an interesting comparison of all clubs. :)

steve025southendunitede.png

Aldershot Town 1 vs 0 Southend United

craiggordonpa468x321.jpg

Aldershot keeper Craig Gordon made one crucial save

Southend United's playoff charge has hit a brick wall after their second straight defeat yesterday when they went down narrowly 1-0 at promotion chasing Aldershot.

The Shrimper's latest defeat means they currently occupy 13th but more disappointingly 9 points of the last play off place and manager Steve Thompson will know his side will have to get their form back on track sooner rather than later if they still wish to challenge the top six.

Southend made one change to their starting lineup with Amine Linganzi coming in to make his full debut at the expense of defender Serhiy Kryvtsov meaning a change in system with Thompson reverting to 3-5-2 with Linganzi being the holding midfielder.

Aldershot started the game the brighter and created a couple of early chances the best falling to Jakub Povazanec who blazed over the bar with the goal at his mercy. Southend's first effort on goal came with 19 minutes on the clock but striker Martyn Waghorn's curling effort when narrowly wide of the keepers far post.

With 26 minutes minutes on the clock the away side thought they had a penalty when on loan midfielder David Edwards broke into the Aldershot box and just when he was about to release the ball a trailing leg caught the midfielder but after consulting his assistant the referee waved away the protest much to the dismay of the Southend players.

That decision lifted Aldershot and just five minutes later they scored what was to be the winner. Jakub POVAZANEC was the man on the score sheet profiting from some poor communication at the back which allowed the Slovakian to finish with ease 1-0. HALF TIME 1-0.

The second half started cautiously for both sides with neither content to give to much away but just before the hour mark Southend managed to carve out a chance but Aldershot keeper Craig Gordon managed to stop the ball from rolling over the line. Southend threatened again on 64 minutes but Eddie Johnson's glancing header went just wide much to the relief of Gordon who looked beaten.

Southend tried in vain to find that equalizing goal but Aldershot showed their steel and hung on to claim a vital three points and send the Shrimper's fans home disappointed. FULL TIME 1-0

At full time a frustrated Steve Thompson gave his reaction to the defeat.

"It's a disappointing result but i can take away a lot from the performance. This is a tough place to come and get a result and it's taken a mistake at the back for Aldershot to win and i have to take heart from that.

I went for a change in system to frustrate Aldershot and to try and stop them over running us in midfield Amine gave the defense some protection and he looked OK.

I understand that the fans will be worried that we have lost two on the trot but i am confident we can turn this around. We have had some very tough games of late and you can't win them all but the lads haven't given up and neither have i"

The King of Cups!

(Part 3)

Finally in the King of Cups here are positions 20th down to 1st, the 26 clubs who have performed best so far in the domestic cups from season 1 or season 2.

Just a reminder, teams get points for how far they progress in each season's cups. There's 1 point for getting knocked out in the first round, 2 point for making it to the 2nd round, 3 for the 3rd round, 4 for the 4th round, 5 for reaching the quarter-finals, 6 for a semi-final spot, 7 if you're runner-up, and 8 for the winner.

Remember:

Here you go, the best of the best in 7046 in the cups. (To see 52nd down to 80th go here here and see 27th to 46th here):

picture14po.png

So as you can see, right now there are 4 clubs, Arsenal, Birmingham, Blackburn, and Man Utd that are top of the pile with 17 points for the 4 cups so far. Two though, Arsenal and Birmingham are still in the semi-finals for the English Cup and have a good chance of getting more points this season.

In addition to Carlisle (lower down the table in 34th spot), 5 more clubs here, Cardiff, Man City, Sheff Wed, MK Dons, and Preston also have the chance to progress in the cups and get more points.

The full table will be published later as the remaining cup games are resolved.

Carling-Cup-Final-Arsenal-Birmingham-Van-Pers_2567417.jpg

Arsenal and Birmingham look favorites to be leading the King of Cups

And remember, none of this is meant to be taken seriously, it's obvious that some teams don't put too much effort into the cups. It's just a little 'extra' that is an interesting comparison of all clubs. :)

tottenham-vs-arsenal.jpg

Tottenham 1-1 Arsenal

A crucial North London derby ended with both sides taking a point each. With Spurs being pegged back in the race for 4th place, there was a real chance for Arsenal to bring the gap even closer in this game.

Tottenham boss Joe Robinson went into the game with Emmanuel Adebayor starting in place of Edin Dzeko, and it was his ball that released Fernando Torres, who provided the perfect cross for Mauro Zarate to head home and put Spurs in front.

Chievo-v-Lazio-Mauro-Zarate-celeb_2507826.jpg

1-0: Mauro Zarate

Arsenal's only real clear cut opportunity in the half was just before the break. Edinson Cavani's chip over Hugo Lloris was cleared off the line by the waiting Joleon Lescott to send Spurs 1-0 up at the break.

The second half saw Arsenal dominate possession with Spurs trying to hold on to their lead. However the continual presure proved to be too much, and Arsenal levelled with 15 minutes to go. A great solo goal from Mario Lucio saw Arsenal level.

Spurs will feel it is an opportunity wasted with Arsenal fielding many youth players in tonights game. However Mauro Zarate bagged another man of the match award and is proving to be a huge player in Robinson's short reign at the club.

gun__1239873901_arsenal_fans1.jpg

Arsenal fans happy to take a point from White Hart Lane

Spurs boss: Joe Robinson:

We started brilliantly with the early goal, but then we just sat back. We were against a side with not that much experience, and we let them have too much of the ball and in the end that has cost us all the points.

With Forest winning against Bolton, Spurs are now just 1 point clear in 4th and are now 5 points behind 3rd placed Fulham. And next up is a trip to Birminham City.

ec7046millwallbanner.jpg

MILLWALL 1 WALSALL 1

A tough match here but for the second week in a row our opponents only have 2 shots at goal and they score once.

Millwall took the lead after 51 mins when ERNESTO FARIAS scored. A late equaliser denied Millwall the three points.

Results elsewhere meant that Millwall moved up a place to seventh spot and still on course for the Play-offs.

Southend United 1 vs 1 Exeter City

deadarrenthumpsup.jpg

Darren O'Dea made his debut against Exeter

Southend United managed to end their two game losing run after a hard fought draw against promotion chasing Exeter City at Roots Hall on Saturday.

After looking a good outside bet for the playoffs two defeats on the trot had Southend fans stuttering as they plummeted down the division four table but this result against a strong Exeter side will give Southend hope of a revival and that they still might make the end of season playoffs with 13 games still to be played.

Thompson made two changes to the Southend side that were beaten by Aldershot last time round with new signing Darren O'Dea going straight into the heart of the defense and he was joined by Serhiy Kryvtsov who was restored to the starting XI. Those changes meant that Amine Linganzi and Barry Nicholson dropped to the bench as Thompson opted for a 5-3-2 system.

The game started cautiously for both teams but Exeter did create a half chance with 10 minutes gone but Fraser Forster was alert rushing off his line to clear the danger. The home side created their first chance on 21 minutes but a combination of defenders and goalkeeper made sure Eddie Johnson's shot didn't hit the back of the net.

Chances were at a premium and it was just before half time before another was created. It fell to Southend through David Hoilett but Exeter keeper Julio Cesar parried away superbly. HALF TIME 0-0.

Exeter certainly started the second half the brighter and were inches away from taking the lead on 48 minutes but Joel Ekstrand right footed effort went narrowly wide. Southend did not read that warning and were punished just 3 minutes later when Exeter finally took the lead. Kostyantyn YAROSHENKO bagged a debut goal smashing home from 20 yards giving Forster no chance 0-1.

Southend were stunned by that setback but 10 minutes later they drew the game level . Martyn WAGHORN was the man to be congratulated profiting from a mix up in the Exeter defense before poking the ball home 1-1.

Roots Hall was bouncing and the Shrimper's fans were once again behind their team as they went in search of the next goal and it nearly came on 69 minutes when a corner from Danny tu missed everyone in the box and went inches wide of the keepers far post.

Both teams looked content with a point but Exeter could have had all the points with 15 minutes to go but Felipe Santana miss hit his volley after the recieving the ball from out wide. FULL TIME 1-1.

Southend manager Steve Thompson spoke to the waiting media after the game to give his reaction to the draw.

"I am happy with a point it was a tough game and one that not many gave us hope of getting anything from so to stop the rot is pleasing.

It wasn't the best game of football you will ever see but we did what we had to in order to get a result and the formation i used meant it was always going to be tough for Exeter to break us down and it's one i may use again for the right opposition.

I still believe we can make the playoffs it will be tough but there's enough games for us to go on a run and maybe just maybe sneak in there"

Middlesbrough.JPG

Boro

FTM FTW

carboneraborotop.jpg

Boro bint Sara Cabonero reports

It was the game of the day in 7046 and the atmosphere at the Riverside was electric. No, the fans weren’t excited, a lightening storm was just passing overhead. Title favorites Middlesbrough were hosting relegation candidates Newcastle and with 3 points and dudeskin’s job on the line everything was to play for. Bookies and pundits had already written off Newcastle’s hopes, with the key question being not if Boro would win, but by how many. As one sports writer reported,

Normally I would have billed this as my game of the day. Two good sides with active experienced managers in a local derby match' date=' but with Newcastle being so poor, I think it would be unfair to add any additional pressure on to the drunk manager. Middlesbrough should really take this comfortably.

[/font']

Indeed, even before kick-off Geordie boss dudeskin was looking rather inebriated, “just a little something to soften the blow,” quipped a club official.

sidsexist.gif

Dudeskin appearing relaxed just ahead of kick-off

The game started cagily, with neither side wanting to give their fans false hope too soon. It was Newcastle that broke the deadlock though, and just before half-time in a sweeping move that saw them finally string two passes together Rossi squared to Trochowski and with only Casillas to beat there was only ever one outcome. The Newcastle fans went wild, though let’s face it, they’re pretty wild already, and one excited fan was quoted as saying, “I canna believe it man. I’d climb a mootin for

.”

Halftime came and went and many a pie was eaten before it was announced that a record new crowd of 35,091 was in attendance that day, the ground was filled to capacity! “But the capacity’s 35,100” one official observed, until it was pointed out that the ground was indeed full, just that several rotund Geordie’s had been required to purchase tickets for two seats to accommodate them, much in the same way that fat Americans must by two airline seats so they don’t spill out onto the person next to them.

ashley_53104t.jpg

This unidentified individual was required to purchase 3 seats

Just three minutes into the second half and Newcastle scored again, with Rossi nodding past the despairing dive of Casillas. The Geordie boys rose to their feet in delight (well those who were able to, several at least were firmly wedged in their chairs). Just what was going on? Was the unthinkable about to happen, were title favorites Boro about to be turned over on their own turf? The Boro bench seemed unusually calm and clearly something was afoot. “It’s all part of the game plan,” confided one official, “we just want to get dudeskin’s hopes up in case he’s watching it on the score center.”

s

Dudeskin looks on despairingly as Jooles plots his downfall

And so it proved to be the case. Why win comfortably when you can give the other side false hope before you stick the knife in? One nod from Boro manager Jooles and that was that. Boro started to turn up the heat and from then on in there was only one winner. As usual the world’s best player Xavi was at the heart of everything, pulling the strings and turning Newcastle’s hapless players inside out.

xavinewcastle.jpg

Xavi delights at giving the Mags a footballing lesson

The Middlesbrough turnaround began just four minutes after Newcastle’s second goal when Peruvian wizard Paulo Gurrero showed the rubber-faced Chiellini a clean pair of heels to curl a rasping drive into the top-left-hand corner, leaving Adler with no chance. Then Boro really turned on the style, with a sweeping move beginning – and ending – with none other than that most deadly of poachers ‘Iker the Striker,’ notching his third league goal of the season. As the match commentary read,

A mix up in the defence allows Iker Casillas to poke home!

“We wanted to do it in style,” said a beaming Jooles after the game, “you know, to really demonstrate who is the world’s number one. And I’m not just talking about our keeper…”

guerrerochiellini.jpg

Guerrero bags as Chiellini’s cheeks flap aimlessly in the wind

In a grandstand finish, saving the best ‘til last, Boro continued to up the tempo and a beleaguered Newcastle could only watch helplessly as the boys in red and white rang rings round them. Ultimately it fell to Riise to notch the winner and with just eleven minutes left on the clock and the Riverside just went crazy!

johnarneriise_159818.jpg

Worth getting the booking for taking the shirt off, if only

‘cos it saves me having to photoshop one more picture!

Middlesbrough’s army of fans left contented, but it was the Geordie boys who caused a stir with a sit-in protest demanding the resignation of the clueless dudeskin. “He’s got tuh gan man,” said one youth, “He cannit sta around heor wi’ performances leek that.” Fortunately a translator was brought and it was indeed confirmed that the young men would like Mr. Dudeskin to depart from their club.

dudeskinbanner.jpg

Angry fans protest during the game, and this was when they were 2-0 up!

More worryingly for Boro the fans have declared their intention to remain in the ground until dudeskin leaves. “We just want to watch decent football,” one fan was translated as saying, “We’re staying right here at the league’s best club until that useless man steps doon.” In other news Manchester United slumped to yet another defeat, this time at the hands of the mighty Wolves. With just four points out of a possible fifteen United are clearly ‘bricking it’ and bookies have now confirmed that SOP is second favorite behind dudeskin as the next 7046 manager to be sacked from his post. Just so you don’t waste your money sit tight on betting on the Fulham job for now manager Dom Latouche is consider safe for just a few more weeks until the SMFA Shield starts up again. In SOP’s own words,

If Jooles is going to win the title he needs to take max points from his next 5 games.

If you say so SOP. Or alternatively how about ‘SOP needs to not keep losing all of his games?’ With just thirteen games to go it’s going to be interesting…

dudeskinkilling.jpg

The sit-in continues' date=' seemingly at an impasse as dudeskin defiantly refuses to step down[/size']

T1urq4Vb0XM

Update: Middlesbrough club officials are trying to resolve the current crisis

through a dual strategy of forcing them out by repeatedly playing Fog on the Tyne

while luring them outside with the promise of all-you-can-eat sickly sausage rolls.

Veteran negotiators say the strategy has a 50:50 chance of success.

Thompson hopes for return to winning ways

010303722183100.jpg

David Hoilett rated 50/50 for the trip to Tranmere

Southend United are back on the road tonight as they travel to Prenton Park to take on Tranmere Rovers. The Shrimper's who are now three games without a win have seen their hopes of a playoff place dealt a severe blow with two defeats and a draw from their last three games but they will be hoping to return to winning ways against Ben Newman's Merseyside outfit.

Southend have certainly enjoyed more success away from home and with their host sitting below them in the table they will be confident of heading back down South with something to show for their endeavor.

Steve Thompson is sweating on the fitness of David Hoilett after the Canadian international suffered a minor knock in the draw against Exeter last time round so Barry Nicholson is on standby to cover. Southend have no further injury concerns and if Hoilett is fit are likely to remain unchanged.

Before setting on on the long trip North Steve Thompson gave his views on the upcoming fixture.

"We are looking forward to the game after our very good draw against Exeter at the weekend. Despite not winning in the last three games i have still been pleased with our overall performance and if we can replicate the Exeter game then we should come away with something positive.

I have a lot of respect for Ben and the job he is doing at Tranmere. He comes from Preston like myself and grew up on the terraces watching North End so i am sure to share a shandy with him after the game and talk about PNE.

The squad looks OK with only David Hoilett struggling at the minute and i would say he is 50/50 to make the game but we will give him every chance to make the squad. It will be a tough night for us but i have confidence in my lads they have shown in training that they are ready for the test"

ec7046millwallbanner.jpg

SOUTHAMPTON 0 MILLWALL 3

An important away win for MILLWALL.

Millwall dominated possession 39%/61% and on loan Aaron LENNON made his mark when he scored on 36 mins to put Millwall in front at the interval.

After the break Millwall continued to dominate possession and Ernesto FARIAS made in 2-0 when he scored on 60 mins. The away team relaxed more and Man of the Match EMILE HESKEY scored a late goal on 79 mins to give Millwall a 3-0 away win.

NEXT MATCH: vs Huddersfield (H)

Thompson slams pathetic start as Southend crumble

article111104602eb00cf0.jpg

Steve Thompson was angry with his sides poor start to the game

Southend United's worrying dip in form continued tonight as they were convincingly beaten by Tranmere Rovers 6-2 at Prenton Park. After such a good start to his reign at Roots Hall Steve Thompson's hopes of a playoff place are all but over after this embarrassing defeat and a major turnaround is needed if the Shrimper's are to have any hopes of ending the season on a high.

Southend named an unchanged side from the one that drew at home to promotion chasing Exeter at the weekend meaning that David Hoilett was passed fit after a fitness test before the game.

The game started at a blistering pace and Southend found themselves behind within two minutes when a corner was headed home from Scott SINCLAIR to give the home side the lead 1-0. It could have been easy for Southend to sink but just a minute later they leveled the game up through American international Eddie JOHNSON who slotted home after showing some nice footwork 1-1. The crowed were still trying to catch their breath from all the early action but with just 6 minutes on the clock the home side made it 2-1 when Matt JARVIS seized on an error in the Southend defense before rounding the exposed Forster and tapping home 2-1.

Steve Thompson was very animated on the touchline and things could have got worse for Southend on 12 minutes when a Sinclair shot looked to be heading into the back of the net but Forster did well to keep it out. Southend were trying to find their way past an organized Tranmere defense and came close on 24 minutes but Eddie Johnson's shot went inches wide of the keepers post.

That miss was to prove costly for Southend when on 31 minutes Tranmere made it 3-1 when Japanese international Shinji OKAZAKI thundered in a spectacular long range effort that gave Fraser Forster no chance. Southend looked a team void of ideas by this stage but fired a warning shot a minute later through captain Adel Taarabt who's first touch made room for a shot but his effort went wide much to the frustration of his team mates. HALF TIME 3-1.

It as clear that Thompson would need to get into his side at half time but they started the second much like they did the first and it was no surprise when they went 4-1 with just three minutes gone in the second half. Man of the match Matt JARVIS used all his blistering pace to leave the Southend defense in his wake before chipping the ball over the onrushing Forster for a real classy finish.

Tranmere were playing with real confidence whilst Southend continued to look around for inspiration but just before the hour mark the visitors grabbed a lifeline through Martyn WAGHORN who met an inviting cross to nod home and make it 4-2.

That goal gave Southend a little bit of confidence and just 6 minutes later they could have reduced the arrears even further but Eddie Johnson saw his chip from the edge of the area go agonizingly over the crossbar. Tranmere looked content to soak up the pressure and had keeper Ali Al Habsi to thank on 66 minutes when his fingertip save denied what would have been a lovely worked goal for Southend.

The home side managed to ride the storm and punished their visitors on 76 minutes when they grabbed a 5th through Peniel MLAPA who met an inviting cross with his head passed a stranded Forster 5-2. The Southend supporters began their quest for the exits and most had gone by the 86th minute when Tranmere rubbed salt in the already stinging wounds with a 6th. Winger Vladimír WEISS profited on some poor marking to powerfully head home and send the home fans into raptures 6-2.

Southend went in search on a another goal and were denied twice in the dying minutes firstly when Martyn Wghorn saw his low shot palmed away by Al Habsi then just before the full time whistle Johnson saw his powerful effort turned away at his left by Al Habsi. FULL TIME 6-2.

After the game a shell shocked Steve Thompson faced the press.

"Firstly let me apologize to my supporters who have traveled all this way tonight and have been let down by one of the most inept displays i have seen in all my time as manager of any club.

I talked to the players in training about starting matches well and within 6 minutes we find ourselves 2-1 i must have been talking to a brick wall because some of the defending was absolute nonsense and that is not how i set up my teams to play.

We have shot ourselves in the foot with a combination of schoolboy defending and wastefulness in front of goal and i will have the lads in first thing tomorrow to eradicate these errors from their game. I cannot and will not tolerate another performance like the one i have just witnessed.

I have to congratulate Ben and his boys they showed us up big time tonight and fully deserved the result and have ended our last dying hopes of challenging for a playoff place"

UPDATE!

Newcastle sit-in

Day 6

koppelday6.jpg

Ted Koppel reports

It’s day 6 of the Newcastle United fans’ sit-in at the Riverside stadium in Middlesbrough. Spirits remain high but food supplies are reportedly beginning to run low. “We sold out of the burgers,” confirmed one club official, “and now after repeated requests for stottie cakes the Geordie boys have moved onto the hot-dogs. It’s getting desperate, we haven’t sold one of those in years.”

The protest itself, you will recall, was a spontaneous uprising in the aftermath of United’s defeat at the hands of the league leaders Middlesbrough. Things have been going bad to worse for the troubled Tyneside club. First they sold Andy Carroll (though let’s face it, she was no looker), then they bought in middle-aged lesbian Samir Nasri, which unsettled the players’ wives no end, and finally, after getting just 3 points out of a possible 30, enough was enough! Something just snapped and the forlorn fans simply sat down at the end of the Boro game and refused to budge.

samir-nasri.jpg

Nasri, not one of your better looking lesbians

“Ez’s gotta gan man,” said one eloquent soul. “Ah canna handal eet na mooore,” moaned another. Yes, the fans are unrelenting in their demand that manager dudeskin steps ‘doon’. The former fans’ favorite has certainly fallen on hard times and nothing short of his resignation will bring these fans to leave the Riverside. To underscore the severity of the situation club officials confirmed that already there have been defections, with three fans leaving the away enclosure and making the long walk to the home end, stopping briefly in the center-circle to ceremoniously burn their Newcastle tops. “We’re Boro now,” one confirmed, “I doubt we’ll be the last.”

dudeskinout.jpg

A motley crew by anyone’s standards but their message is clear…

Conditions have not been easy for these brave souls, as one fan confirmed: “Aye, the nights have been the worst,” he said through the aid of a translator, “It gets bitterly cold when the wind blows Middlesbrough’s warming toxic vapours the other way.” To rectify the problem club officials have been shipping in ‘comfort women,’ local girls who are willing to warm these poor shivering souls. One girl, it was said, well known around these parts, ‘comforted’ 20 fans in one night. “She’s a very giving lady,” was the only comment the club had to give.

With dudeskin defiantly refusing to step down an impasse seems to have been reached. In the meantime Middlesbrough club officials are doing their best to manage the situation and keep spirits high. “We’re putting on elocution lessons tomorrow,” a club spokesman announced, “that should bring some cheer, and it makes things easier for the pie-sellers too, it's a win-win situation. At least that’s something.”

Stay on hold for further updates as the situation develops…

64ae68aced5f83fa0e07e2746769de39.jpg

With no end in sight the sit in continues…