English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

TheDuffman

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 3-PT 2

Gillingham held on to sixth place with a 2-1 win away at Bristol Rovers.Kolarov and Voronin were the men on target for the Gills sandwiched between a Rovers goal scored by Bacuna.

Oldham had a comfortable 4-2 win at home to Orient.Denis netted twice with Giaccherini and Jonas also scoring.Orient scored with goals from Iborra and Maher.

Brentford won 2-0 at home to Swindon.A goal either side of the break from Muriqui and Andrezinho claimed the points for Brentford.

Barnsley lost 2-0 at home to Brighton.the match was level at half time but second half strikes from Vargas and Jelen won the match for Albion.

Rotherham had a miserable night as they lost 3-1 at home to Burton.Anita,Strootman and Walters did the damage for Burton with Fabian getting the consolation for the home side.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 4-PT 1

Wycombe remain top of the pile after smashing Bristol Rovers 5-2.Toivonen got a hat trick with Rose and Postiga adding to the tally.Rovers responded with goals from Agra and Guardado.

Bournemouth hold on to second place with a 2-0 win away at Orient.Bouma and Feret were the men on target for the south coast side.

Gillingham are up to third after winning 2-1 at home to Brentford.Voronin and Juhasz put the gills two goals ahead before Danilinho got a consolation for Brentford.

Dagenham slipped to fourth place after losing 2-0 away at Stockport.Beckham and Arshavin scored the goals for County.

Brighton climb to fifth with a 5-3 win at home to Southend.Albion had a hattrick hero in Pinilla with Camunas and Martens also on the scoresheet.A double from Gouffran and a goal from Inan for United tried to get them back in the game.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 4-PT 2

Accrington drop to sixth after losing 4-2 away at Chesterfield.Paloschi got a hattrick for the spireites with Elkeson adding the other.Stanley replied with two goals from Johnson.

Tranmere had a dissappointing home defeat to Colchester 2-0.Eduardo and Neto claimed the points for United.

Shorpe were soundly beaten at home 5-2 by Rotherham.Shorpe actually led the match when Galloppa scored but a double from Fabian and further goals from Romulo,Borini and Andre sealed the game for Rotherham.Pennant scored the home sides other goal.

Swindon won 1-0 at home to Oldham.Sio got the only goal of the match in the second half.

Burton and Barnsley drew 2-2 to share the spoils.Marveaux gave Albion the lead but Barnsley levelled the match just before the break when Kvist scored.De Jong scored in the second half to put Burton back in front but Dzyuba made sure the points were shared when he popped up to equalise for Barnsley.

eliseu1.jpg

Attack the best form of Defense

Josh Harman has hailed his sides stunning start to the season. Bournemouth have won all of their 4 opening games and have yet to concede a goal. Winger Eliseu has been the main highlight scoring 4 in 4 for the South coast side.

Manager Josh Harman had this to say on his teams impressive start, " I tell the lads before each game to play attacking football and to express themselves. We have been terrific since the opening game, not conceding a single goal in 4 games is a tremendous achievement and it speaks volumes about the strength of our side this season.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOjI8Oum1nvz87-Gkq_n8b8bY8PoNekHu4oO7hGPV_XMUYZpdt6zuKI7HyOQ

Dost On The Move?

bas-dost-heerenveen.jpg

Speculation once again surrounds the future of Walsall striker Bas Dost with many rumours suggesting he could be set to depart Banks's Stadium to ease Walsall's financial troubles. A club spokesman refused to comment on the future of Dost but there is rumoured to be a bid of 12m on the table from an unnamed club and the board are said to be considering there options. Manager Tony Harman will no doubt want to keep hold of one of his prize assets but fear's the decision may not be his to make. ' I'd obviously like Bas to stay but we have to be realistic, it's a constant battle to stay afloat here as it is with a lot of other club's in this league and when one of the bigger club's dangles a large sum of money in front of you sometimes you don't have a choice but to take it and look to rebuild.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 5-PT 1

Wycombe stay top despite losing 3-2 away at Brentford.Wanderers were in front when Postiga scored but Danilinho and Leo scored for Brentford to put them in the lead at the break.Postiga got his second of the game to level the scores but Muriqui popped up for Brentford to score the winner.

Bournemouth hang on to second after being brought down to earth by being beaten 5-2 at home to Oldham.Moralez with two,Giaccherini,Denis and Jonas were the men who put Bornemouth to the sword with Feret and Cisse netting the consolations.

Gillingham remain third with a 1-1 draw at home to Swindon.Rudinevs gave the away side the lead before Voronin equalised with six minutes left on the clock.

Dagenham are still in fourth place after winning 3-2 at home to Chesterfield.Xandao and a brace from Diabate were the scorers for the home side with Garmash and Paloschi netting for Chesterfield.

Brighton are up to fifth with a fine 3-1 win away at Colchester.Vargas gave Albion the lead but Barazite scored just before the break to level the match.Pinilla and Quaresma made the points safe for Brighton in the second half.

Thompson ready for dugout comeback

1284219946.jpg

Former Tranmere manager Steve Thompson says he is ready to return to full time management

Former Tranmere Rovers boss Steve Thompson has today spoken of his desire to return to management after a period away from the game following the birth of his son. The Preston born 27 year old cut a popular figure during his time at Prenton Park but commitments away from the game forced Thompson to resign and that saw Tranmere fall away from the division 4 play offs before finally finishing 8th under the new regime.

Thompson says he has now plans to return to Prenton Park except in the oppositions dugout and is waiting patiently for a job offer to come his way.

Speaking from his Lancashire home earlier today Thompson said .....

" I think now is the right time to get back in the dugout. The time away from the game has done me a world of good despite the sleepless nights and dirty nappy's.

It was a wrench to leave Tranmere but it was the right thing to do. They seem to be doing OK now and i think it's best if they become part of my history, they always say never to go back.

I will bide my time and ensure the next club is the right one. I am ambitious and any club has to share the same ambitions as me"

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 5-PT 2

Tranmere moved up to sixth in the table with a 2-0 win away Bristol Rovers.Goals from Oxlade-Chamberlain and Elmander either side of half time won the match for Tranmere.

Accrington lost 3-1 at home to Leyton Orient.Stanley took the lead in the sixth minute when Lopez scored but two goals from Harnik and a strike from Maher turned the game in Orient's favour.

Southend were beaten 2-0 at home to Burton Albion.Hoarau and Aliev scored the goals for the brewers.

Rotherham were well and truly beaten 4-1 at home by Stockport.Elano,Guidetti,Donovan and Costa put County four nil ahead before Pereira netted a consolation for United.

Barnsley drew 2-2 at home with Shorpe.Barnsley were in front at the half way point with a goal from Yokuslu.Boselli levelled the match before Dzyuba put Barnsley back in front.Ekdal got the equaliser for Shorpe in the seventy seventh minute.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 6 PT 1

Wycombe beat Gillingham 2-1 to stay top.Pastore and Postiga scored the goals with Voronin getting the reply for Gillingham.

Bournemouth also won 2-1 away at Swindon to hold on to 2nd place.Zamora and Mariga scored for Bournemouth with Insigne netting for Swindon.

Tranmere won 2-1 at home to Brentford to move into third place.Cacau got a brace for Rovers with Muriqui getting the consolation for Brentford.

Oldham are up to fourth with a 3-2 win at home to Accrington.Giaccherini set Athletic on the way with Jonas adding the other two goals.Stanley's goals were both scored by Dia.

Orient climb to fifth after demolishing Dagenham 5-0.El shaarawy was the hero as he scored a hat trick with Canini and Harnik adding the other goals to complete the rout.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 6-PT 2

Brighton slip to sixth with a 3-3 draw at home to Bristol Rovers.Quaresma,Stokes and Ben Khalifa scored for Albion.Oliveira with two and Floccari were the men who earned the point for Rovers.

Chesterfield lost 2-1 at home to unpredictable Rotherham.Borini and Park were the scorers for United with De Silvestri on target for the spireites.

Barnsley won 1-0 away at Stockport.A Pienaar penalty won the points for the yorkshiremen.

Colchester had a good away win 3-2 at Burton.Eduardo,Tatos,and Di Gennaro sealed the points for United with De Jong and Narsingh on target for the the dissappointed Albion side.

Shorpe won 2-1 at home to Southend.Kesimal and Pennant wrapped up the points with Topuz netting for Southend.

Tykes turn to Thompson

1235026710.jpg

Steve Thompson takes the reigns at Division 4 side Barnsley

Division 4 side Barnsley have tonight confirmed the appointment of Steve Thompson as their new first team manager. The 27 year old former Tranmere boss spoke earlier in the week of his desire to return to management and it hasn't taken long with the Yorkshire outfit quick to pounce following the shock resignation of THe SPecial One.

Thompson brings a wealth of division 4 experience with him to Oakwell having managed over a 100 games for Tranmere Rovers whilst also taking in a 35 games stint at Southend United and it's believed that Thompson's experience was a major factor in the Barnsley boards decision to turn to him.

The Tykes have had an unspectacular start to life in division 4 following relegation last season and currently occupy 11th in the division a long way from their pre season predictions of a title challenge and the new manager will now be tasked with helping the club climb the league table and fight for a return to division 3.

A statement released on the official Barnsley website read .....

" Barnsley football club are delighted to announce Steve Thompson as our new first team manager with immediate effect. Steve brings a wealth of experience with him to the club and we all share the same goals of getting the club back to division 3 and beyond and Steve is confident he can deliver sooner rather than later"

Thompson himself released a short statement ....

" I am over the moon to be given the chance to manage a club of this stature and simply cannot wait to get going. I have been a way from the game for a while but my hunger never left me and it's time to make up for lost time.

I know how this division works having managed 2 teams and i hope my experience and know how will prove vital as we look to get the club fighting for the title"

Thompson taste defeat

61130795pa12583709.jpg

Steve Thompson cuts a relax figure despite his sides 2-0 defeat in the English shield

Steve Thompson's reign as Barnsley manager got off to a losing start tonight as they went down to a 2-0 defeat away at Brentford in the 1st round of the English shield. Goals either side of half time ensured the Bees progress to the second round setting up a lucrative home tie with Division 1 high flyers Everton.

Thompson made a host of changes for his first game in charge with goalkeeper Carvalho Eduardo the only player to start from the side that beat Chesterfield in the league at the weekend and with Leyton Orient the opposition on Wednesday in league action it is clear to see where Thompson's priorities.

After the game Steve Thompson spoke to the gathered media ....

" It's not the start i was hoping for but you have to take in effect the upheaval in the past 24 hours. I only met the players this morning before we set off so it was a case of throwing a team together and hoping for the best.

The league is my number one priority and my team selection proves that i need all the first team players fit and ready for Wednesday where i hope we can get a win and get climbing that table.

Tonight has given me the chance to have a look at what we have in reserve and despite defeat i saw plenty of positives. The team has more potential than it's showing and it's up to me to now unearth that potential and get it on the pitch"

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 7-PT 1

League leaders Wycombe were beaten 3-2 at home by Swindon.Pedro got a brace for the visitors within twenty minutes with Bakenga getting the crucial winner in the second half.Both goals for Wanderers were scored by Toivonen.

Oldham moved into second place with a 2-1 win away at Dagenham.Denis and Alfaro got the goals for the Lancashire side with Diabate scoring for Dagenham.

Bournemouth slipped to third with a 2-1 defeat at Accrington.Johnson and Aboubakar were on target for Stanley whilst Hasebe scored for Bournemouth.

Gillingham climbed to fourth spot in the league with a comfortable 4-0 win at home to Tranmere.Chico got Gillingham off to a good start with further goals from Voronin (2) and Ari wrapping up the points.

Orient stay fifth despite a 3-1 defeat at Rotherham.The away side took the lead when Bedimo scored but a brace from Andre and a strike from Maicon turned the game in United's favour.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 7-PT 2

Brentford are in sixth place after winning 3-1 at home to Brighton.Jones,Juninho and Muriqui got the goals with Heskey scoring for Brighton.

Bristol Rovers suffered a 4-1 home defeat to Burton.Aliev set Albion on the way with further goals netted by De Jong,Hoarau and Yusupov.Bacuna got the consolation for Rovers.

Barnsley won 2-1 at home to Chesterfield.This proved to be the Barnsley managers last game in charge as he resigned after the match with Steve Thompson being named the manager the next day.Mykhalyk had put Chesterfield in front before Dzyuba and Gyan won the game for Barnsley.

Southend lost 2-1 at home to Stockport.United went in front when Gouffran scored but second half goals from Beckham and Upson saw County take the points.

Colchester drew at home 1-1 with Shorpe.Djakpa was on target for the home side with Fernanadez levelling the match for Shorpe.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 8-PT 1

Bournemouth's impressive season continued as they ran out 3-0 winners at home to Dagenham.The goals were all scored in the last twenty minutes by Eliseu,Bouma and Zamora and put the south coast side top of the table.

Gillingham won 3-0 away at Brighton to go second.All the goals came in the second period with strikes from Castro,Ari and Ryazantsev.

Oldham drew 1-1 at home to Rotherham and slip to third place in the table.N'Guero gave the latics the lead after five minutes but Andre scored just before half time to level the match.

Wycombe dropped down the table to fourth after a 2-1 away defeat at Tranmere.Zurutuza and Cacau won the game for Rovers with Postiga getting the reply for the former league leaders.

Orient stayed in fifth after a 1-0 win at home to Barnsley.Maher scored in the second half for the londoners.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 8-PT 2

Brentford kept hold of sixth place with a 2-1 win away at Burton.The home side had the lead at the break after Aliev had scored but second half goals from Danilinho and Juninho won the points for the bees.

Swindon won 2-1 at home to Accrington.Sio and Rudnevs were on target for the robins with Coquelin netting for Stanley.

Stockport were beaten 2-1 at home by Colchester.Saviola struck for County but United turned the scoreline around when Mason and Tatos scored.

Chesterfield were 3-2 victors at home to Southend.Bolatti,Torbinsky and Douglao scored for Chesterfield with Goffran and Popovic on target for Southend.

Shorpe had a welcome 3-2 win at home to Bristol Rovers.A double from Fernandez and a goal from Ekdal won the points with Rovers goals scored by Guardado and Floccari.

Thompson - Rome wasn't built in a day

62261095pa12583674.jpg

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson has called on the fans for patience as he searches for his first points this weekend

Ahead of his first home game in charge this weekend new Barnsley manager has called on the fans to show some patience as he looks to instill his brand of football into the side. The Tykes suffered a narrow defeat in midweek as they lost 1-0 away at Leyton Orient a result that means that Thompson is still looking for his first win since taking charge but tomorrows game against high flying Oldham marks Thompson's first at Oakwell and with the backing of the home faithful Thompson his hoping for a positive result.

Despite tasting defeat in midweek Barnsley are likely to remain unchanged with wingers Diego Buonanotte and Romain Hamouma both likely to be kept sidelined through injury.

Thompson spoke to the press on Friday and said .....

" Wednesday was a tough result to take but Rome wasn't built in a day and i need to ask the fans for patience as i look to get the team playing my way. I saw some signs despite losing the game we created a fair amount of chances and on another day we perhaps could have come back with something.

The players have been working hard in training and they look ready for tomorrow. Oldham are flying at the minute and will be coming to Oakwell full of confidence but we are the home side and we will be looking to take the game to them and hopefully reward our supporters with three points"

Thompson - Poor start cost us the game

article12900696178730c0.jpg

Barnsley's Steven Pienaar looks set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering an injury at the weekend

New Barnsley manager Steve Thompson will have to continue his search for his first win after his side suffered defeat at the weekend as they went down to a 2-0 defeat at home to high flying Oldham Athletic. The defeat leaves the Tykes struggling in 13th position in division 4 and means that Steve Thompson has now lost his opening three games at the helm.

Barnsley names the same starting XI that lost 1-0 away to Leyton Orient last time around and with just 3 minutes on the clock they found themselves behind courtesy of a well struck shot from Brazilian forward Gonçalves JONAS 0-1. T5he home side were clearly stunned and with 24 minutes gone it got worse when Oldham made it 2-0 thanks to a long range effort from Dutchman Jonathan DE GUZMAN.

The game eventually finished 2-0 to the visitors leaving Thompson to ponder were at all went wrong.

After the game Tykes boss Thompson spoke to the waiting reporters.

" It was an appalling start to the game going behind so early and we never seemed to recover from it. I had high hopes before the game but it's clear to see a lot of work is still needed and it's my job to start putting things right.

I can understand the fans frustration i feel it the same as them but i promise things will get better. We have the talent in the squad to be performing better and it's now a case of unearthing that potential and fitting it in to my system"

150px-Northampton_Town_FC_logo.png

Northampton cause Cup upset

The crowd was in full voice as they welcomed Premier League opponents Manchester City, unfortunately for every one though, the World's best player Lionel Messi was left out the squad, later, Sir Abdul himself admitted he was looking forward to see the Argentine forward,

It's always a pleasure, just being lucky enough to watch, you know your'e lucky, a talent like him only comes around 2/3 times in a century, so it was a shame on one part that he didn't play, but then it was to our advantage also as it gave us a bigger chance of winning!

In what has been an up and down season so far at Sixfield's, Northampton right at the start showed they were up for it, hard and in the tackle and pressing their superior opponents relentlessly.

Yann M'vila had briefly equalised for citeh after Mike Hanke had put Northampton ahead in the 12th minute, but Junior paulinho stole the show, scoring two brilliant goals in the second half to hand Northampton a deserved victory

It was nice for the lads to get away from the usual tense week leading up to a league fixture, and im happy with my performance also getting two goals, we showed out there what were capable of, hopefully we can replicate that sort of a performance much more often.

And so the revelation continues at Northampton under the guidance of Sir Abdul Legend, the team will face MK Dons in the next round.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 9-PT 1

Bournemouth won 6-2 at Rotherham to stay top of the table.Ki and Zamora both scored twice with Eliseu and Long also on target.Pereira and Feghouli scored for the home side.

Oldham moved into second place with a 2-0 win away at Barnsley.Jonas and De Guzman got the goals in the first half for Athletic.

Wycombe climb to third after a 3-1 win at home to Brighton.Sam,Sissoko and Pastore had Wanderers three goals in front before the break.Vargas got the consolation for Albion.

Orient lie fourth with a comfortable 4-0 win away at Southend.El Shaarawy was the hero of the day with a hat trick with Harnik supplying the other goal.

Brentford are up to fifth after winning 5-1 at home to Shorpe.United took the lead when Sosa scored but Brentford began their assault a minute later when Juninho got his first of the game.Another goal from Juninho and strikes from Hargreaves,Muriqui and Wagner wrapped up the match for Brentford.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 9-PT 2

Gillingham fell to sixth place in the table after a 2-2 draw at home to Burton.Voronin and Ryazantsev were on target for the gills with Anita and Narsingh replying for Albion.

Swindon came away from Tranmere with a 1-0 win.Insigne got the goal in the first half for the robins.

Dagenham won 3-0 at home to Accrington Stanley.Bienvenu sent the home fans away happy after bagging a hat trick.

Colchester and Chesterfield drew 1-1.Ait-Fana put Chesterfield in front when he scored from the spot but Di Gennaro levelled the match nine minutes later.

Stockport came from behind at Bristol Rovers to win 5-3.Agra,Koch and Guardado scored for Rovers with Stockport netting through Barbosa,Beckham,Elano (2) and Saviola.

fulhamnights.gif

Fulham get a famous win at Old trafford

A tired looking Latouche looked overwhelmed and exhausted when his patched Fulham team outplayed the champions in there own back yard to further cement there growing reputation as a contender at the top rather than the pretender tag they dogged with. A exhausted looking Latouche took to the media to discuss the issues and todays game

When asked about todays game

When i saw 8 of my first choice players fall ill just suddenly monday evening I was very worried as I didnt believe my reserves players would be able to stand up to the quality of players they had to fight against and I was worried about throwing them in what was a pressure cooker atmosphere. Players like Charles ' date=' Stuart , Musacchio , Doumbia and capoue were all given a chance and they played out of their skin and done me proud. The only slight worry was Hulk picked up a groin injury and will miss two weeks football. [/quote']

When asked is he enjoying the job?

Im loving it after all the steady progression we are finally showing we are a good team that plays to excite the fans. We love to play attacking football but now what is crucial is that we are defending a lot better. We have a great togtherness I dont believe any team in the premier league has more.

When asked how much further can he take Fulham?

I honestly believe we have achieved a lot in our time at Fulham but our dream is to become Premier league champions or European champions and I promise I will not rest until we actually achieve a trophy in the cabinet whether its the Domestic trophys or European. We all have our dreams!

And when asked about his opinion on other teams on his radar

The first thing that jumped out was how bad my friend at Preston is doing and fans calling for his head. I said 3 months ago in a press conference this would happen and nothing has changed my mind I still believe he will be relegated. And im glad to see Elton and his misfits fighting at the bottom where the lad belongs! :) I believe the team i will back to do well is Gillingham as they have intelligent manager and Ive seen first hand how good they are. The manager there has done a good job and deserves some praise :)

daily_mail_title_logo.jpg

Anelka in talks about England return

NicolasAnelka_1108192a.jpg

Nicolas Anelka is set to make a sensational return to the English game having jetted in to the Midlands for talks with league one outfit Walsall. The former France International joined Lille last summer after four successful season's with Fulham but is understood to want a return to England. Anelka, 33, come's with a big reputation and despite being in the latter stages of his career many Walsall fan's would still regard him as a coup for the club. When the question was put to Harman he remained tight lipped saying there has been contact but there's nothing concrete to report but sources say Anelka is set to pen a deal with the Midland club.

Thompson - Signings can wait

westley4x33108124934538.jpg

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson says transfer business can wait until the club is back on track

Struggling Barnsley return to home comforts this weekend as they entertain Accrington Stanley looking to build on their midweek draw with high flying Bournemouth. The Tykes under normal circumstances would have welcomed a point away from home but Thompson was far from pleased having watched his side throw away a two goal lead to finish 2-2. Despite the disappointment the result marked Thompson's first point since his appointment and the Lancashire born boss is now hoping his side can push on and make their way up the division 4 table.

The Tykes remain without the services of midfield pair Steven Pienaar and Denys Oliynyk so Thompson is likely to remain with the same starting XI that took the field against Bournemouth.

Earlier today Thompson addressed a pack press conference at Oakwell.

" We are all looking forward to tomorrows game and hopefully registering our first win under my reign. The result in midweek was extremely disappointing when you look at the stats and take into account we were leading 2-0 at half time it was a game we deserved to win and the boys are itching to put things right.

We still have a couple of boys missing so i don't envisage having to make any changes"

Thompson was also quizzed on his transfer plans having so far resisted the urge to add to the squad.

" Signings can wait. My main priority is getting this squad back on track and winning games. We have the personnel here to be performing so much better than we currently are but further down the line once the boys are back to winning games i will assess the gaps and see what is out there"