English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

TheDuffman

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

stevep.png

Tykes out to clip Swans wings

Steve Thompson and his Barnsley side make the long trip to South Wales tomorrow looking to heap more misery on Zak Cluer and his under performing Swansea City team.

Cluers Swans were made one of the favorites for the title before the season kicked off but have so far struggled for form managing just 12 points from 10 league games this season so the pressure will certainly be on the Swans boss to get his side going in the right direction sooner rather than later.

In the complete opposite things couldn't really be going any better for Thompson and his Barnsley team they are currently defying the bookies predictions of a mid-table finish sitting pretty in 4th position in division 3 with 19 points from 10 games suffering defeat just once in league action.

Thompson watched his side play out an entertaining 4-4 draw with 2nd placed Ipswich at Oakwell on Wednesday a result that stretched their unbeaten league run to 8 games and halted the Tractor boys 100% away record among the scorers for the Tykes was the in form Marko Arnautovic who made it 8 goals in 8 starts and that form has alerted a number of clubs to the Austrian with Barnsley confirming that they turned down a bid from an un-named club earlier in the week.

Barnsley are likely to remain unchanged after getting through the game on Wednesday without any injuries the only question mark could be in defense with loan man Martin Montoya pushing for his first league start after an impressive performance in the cup defeat to Leicester last Monday.

Ahead of the trip Steve Thompson took time out to talk to the press ....

"Our performance on Wednesday from an attacking point of view was excellent and i hope we can replicate that more often but we need to be tighter at the back. Ipswich are a superb side with some real talent but a couple of their goals were certainly avoidable and that is what we have been trying to put right in training.

We are not taking Swansea lightly despite their current league position which is a false one. They are out of form but they are at home and their fans will be backing them all the way it's an intimidating place to go and we will need to focus on getting a good start and frustrating the home supporters early doors and making it tough for them.

It's nice to have a full squad to choose from for a change too many times this season we have had one player or another on the treatment table after the game but that still doesn't mean i ain't afraid to change things a couple of the boys who played in the cup game on Monday impressed me and it would be unfair to overlook them when picking my squad"

thread-header.png

MATCH REPORTERS WANTED!!

ONLY 3 REPORTERS REQUIRED

If you fancy being a REPORTER, you can apply for YOUR OWN COLUMN in the EC7046 BLOG.

We are looking for a REPORTER to write about their Division and/or team in Div-1, Div-2 or Div-3 ONLY

If you have a team in D1, D2, D3, Just PM me to have your own section to write about.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 10-PT 2

Brentford moved into sixth place in the league winning 2-1 at home to Burton.Danilhino had given Brentford the lead but Aliev levelled for Albion to make it 1-1 at the halfway stage.Maicosuel scored in the second period to claim all three points for the bees.

Chesterfield drew 1-1 in their home match against Aldershot.Rodallega had given the spireites a 1-0 lead at half time but with four minutes to go Schelotto made the game all square.

Dagenham won 1-0 at home to Bristol Rovers.Whelan got the only goal of the match after seventy eight minutes.

Southend were 2-0 winners at home to Wycombe.Miku gave United the perfect start by scoring in the first minute and Ramis finished the match with a goal after twenty two minutes.

Rotherham were beaten 1-0 at home by Cardiff.Koke got the winning goal for City in the first half.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 11-PT 1

Swindon maintain top place in Division Four with a 2-2 draw away at Colchester who moved up to second after this result.Ighalo got both of the goals for United.

Oldham slipped to third after a shock 7-2 hammering at home to Southend.Bulut and Lopez both scored two for the visitors with Prodl,Gouffran and Pander also on the scoresheet.Mceachran and Denis scored for Athletic.

Brentford climb to fourth with a 2-1 win away at Aldershot.N'Doye and Niedermeier had given the bees a two goal lead at half time.Bojan got a consolation for Aldershot after the break.

Burton won 3-1 at home to Shorpe who drop down to fifth in the table after this defeat.Castro and Devic had Burton two nil up at the halfway stage and Castro added his second in the second period to make it three nil.Fernandez scored for Shorpe.

Gillingham won 2-0 at home to Orient who slip to sixth.A penalty from Ari and a goal from Castro won the match for the gills.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 11-PT 2

Cardiff won 2-1 at home to Accrington.Mijailovic had given Stanley a one nil lead but goals from Matthews and Bukharov turned the game in favour of City.

Stockport were beaten 2-1 at home by Dagenham.Duff gave Dagenham the lead but Welliton levelled the match.Jenas got the winner for the daggers on the half hour.

A high scoring match saw Bristol Rovers win at home 5-3 versus Shrewsbury.Bacuna,Shelvey,Riviere,Leitner and Sako were the men on target for Rovers.Guano (2) and Borven scored for the shrews.

Rotherham travelled to basement club Brighton and came away with three points after winning 2-1.Okazaki had given Brighton the lead in the first half but second half strikes from Maicon and Andre won the match for United.

Wycombe drew 1-1 at home to Chesterfield.Johnson put Wanderers in front before Torbinsky equalised for Chesterfield.

539845_496306000411690_1301694819_n.jpg

Harman Set For Landmark

AFC Bournemouth manager Josh Harman is set to take charge of his 100th game as Cherries Boss when his side travel to The Banks's Stadium on Wednesday night. After gaining promotion from Division 4 and winning the English Cup last season, Bournemouth have started brightly this campaign, sitting nicely in the top half and edging closer to the knockout stages of the Europa league.

Harman had this to say on his time at the club,

We have come along way since i have been here, the quality of the squad has changed dramatically and financially we are in a great position. Having said all that, their is still a long way to go if we are to achieve our long term goal, which is ultimately to be playing in the top division. So hopefully my next 100 games in charge can prove to be just as successful.

stevep.png

Tykes stun Charlton in Shield thriller

takashiinui121216a.jpg

Takashi Inui bagged what proved to be the winner for Barnsley in their 3-2 victory over Charlton

Division 3 side Barnsley pulled of one of the shocks of round 2 in the English shield after they progressed to round 3 at the expense of division 1 side Barnsley with the final score 3-2 to the away side.

Tykes boss Thompson made 10 changes from the side that started the 0-0 against Swansea last time out with goalkeeper Carlos Eduardo the only survivor but all the change didn't seem to unsettle the visitors and it was they who struck first with just 10 minutes on the clock courtesy of a neat header from midfielder Andre Santos 0-1.

The 27.000 plus inside The Valley were stunned by that goal but their despair didn't last long as just 7 minutes later it was 1-1 thanks to a wonderful strike from Italian defender Davide Astori. That goal gave the host a lift and less than 10 minutes later they turned the game around making it 2-1 after a thunderous effort from midfielder Kevin Nolan left Eduardo clutching at thin air.

Many would have expected the host to take control of the game after taking the lead but Barnsley showed why they are one of the leading lights in division 3 this season and thought their way back into the game which resulted in an equalizer on 41 minutes courtesy of Spanish defender Sergio Sanchez who rifled home a screamer from 25 yards 2-2. The home side were at sixes and sevens following that leveler and the Tykes took full advantage to score what would proved to be the winner through Japanese attacker Takashi Inui who smashed home on the volley after a clever run bamboozled his marker 2-3.

The second half was a tetchy affair for the visitors who sat back protecting their lead but they did enough to hang on to claim a memorable victory and set up an interesting home tie in round three against fellow division 3 side Crystal Palace. FULL TIME.

Following the full time whistle a delighted Steve Thompson caught up with the press to give his reaction to the result ......

"What a fantastic result for everybody connected with the football club i am delighted. I made a lot of changes tonight in order to keep our momentum up in the league but you wouldn't have noticed everybody on that pitch for us tonight put in a hell of shift an I'm hugely proud of the way they performed.

It would be nice to have a cup run and give some of the lads on the fringes some minutes on the pitch they did no harm tonight and will certainly get their chance in the next round which i hear will be against Crystal Palace at Oakwell a tough but certainly winnable game.

We turn our attentions to Wednesday and another crunch league game against Hull. They are 6th at the minute and just 2 points behind us so it's inoperative we avoid defeat, We are the home side so it's up to us to go out there and take the game to Hull"

Jermain DEFOE has completed his move to Wolverhampton Wanderers from Birmingham City for £69,000 plus Paulo MACHADO and Carlos BACCA.

Defoe (FC) - 30 years old - 90 rating

Bacca (FC) - 26 years old - 87 rating

Machado (M(RLC)) - 26 years old - 88 rating

I think that was a pretty good deal for my Birmingham squad as i'm needing to add depth.

What do you guys think?

Liverpool Houdini Act

six.png

Sevilla-Liverpool

Champions League : Group D : game 6

Liverpool went into this fixture 3 points behind Sevilla and knowing they had to win by a 2 goal margin to get through the group and also hope for Marseille to beat AC Milan.

At Half time Liverpool fans were feeling a bit uneasy at the score was 0-0, but whatever SMH said at half-time worked a treat as Liverpool came out the second half rampant, In a 26 minute spell Liverpool hit Seville for six, with six different scorers.

W.ROONEY 48

M.GOMEZ 54

T.SILVA 59

F.RIBÉRY 63

N.DE JONG 65

A.ROBBEN 74

Marsielle and Milan were 1-1 at Half time but new Liverpool hero Marvin Elliot put Marsellie on the road to a win and to aide Liverpool through to next round.

This is the best day I have had in Europe , forget winning the back to back SMFA Shield's, tonight was absolutely amazing and could be the catalyst for us to turn around this faltering season.

What a night for Liverpool and a much needed boost to our faltering league campaign, hopefully we can get a good run in the CL and the league as there have been signs of improvement, recently we have drew the last 3 league games won a cup match on penalties and won 6-0 away in Champions league, we have Arsenal up next in league who are in a rocky patch themselves so they will make it tough for us as both teams will be looking to get the three points.

birmingham_zps3453e8e6.jpg

First game in charge on this excellent setup - EC7046

After what as seemed a long wait I'm finally going to manage my first game tonight with Birmingham City facing Leicester.

When I took over I thought nice, what a decent squad I have here....till I looked at other teams and realized that this is not going to be an easy task.

Now having a proper change to look at my squad I have bought in some players to add bit more depth.

Firstly managed to complete a part x deal for

Machado, 26 years old, rating of 88

Bacca, 26 years old, rating of 87

for Defoe at the age of 30 and rating of 90.

I thought it was a pretty decent deal, adding an extra player to the team. Losing Defoe was the only bad downer on this deal but as small club we cant always hold on to our big stars.

Having added them 2 players I still though our attacking options needed boosting so again I went, had a dip in the market and managed to pull out two very good signing in my eyes.

Baptista, 31 years old, rating of 88

Cossu, 32 years old, rating of 88

Signing them for cheap and them being able to play in midfield and upfront could prove to be very valuable signings for us.

Not to mention 3 players where bough in on loan to add more depth and I'm sure they will have their part to play this season for Birmingham.

Baptista and Cossu look certain for their debut tonight

Today's game is a massive one for Birmingham and I'm just hoping for a positive display and result.

DIV 3 FIXTURES FOR TONIGHT

In red are the matches to watch. This is simply my opinion.

Plymouth Argyle - Hartlepool United

Hartlepool looking to add the their tally of 3 points this season.

Birmingham City - Leicester City

Bit bias on this one, but it is my first game in charge if Birmingham.

Walsall - Bournemouth

Brothers come head to head.

Sheffield Wednesday - Millwall

Tranmere Rovers - Reading

Peterborough United - Northampton Town

Doncaster Rovers - Crystal Palace

Derby County - Ipswich Town

Two teams second from each end of the table.

Watford - Swansea City

League leaders Watford.

Barnsley - Hull City

Battle in the promotion play-offs area.

What does everything think? Any one dare to make any predictions? lol

stevep.png

Tykes maul sorry Tigers

simongrayson.jpg

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson heaped praise on his players after victory over Hull City

Barnsley returned to winning ways in the league after three straight draws dispatching fellow promotion hopefuls Hull City at Oakwell 3-1. The win keep Steve Thompson's men in 4th position in division 3 but they are now just 2 points of Watford and Ipswich who currently occupy the top two positions.

The Tykes named the same starting XI that took the field in the last league game away at Swansea on Saturday but it took a while for the host to settle in the game with Hull enjoying the better of the first half hour but the home side battled away and with 37 minutes played they grabbed the first goal of the game through Ghanian striker Asamoah Gyan who struck from long range following a neat lay off from Utaka 1-0. Barnsley had a golden chance to further their lead two minutes later after they were awarded a penalty but Gyan fluffed his effort high over the bar

Barnsley took a 1-0 lead into half time and with less than 10 minutes gone of the 2nd half it got better when top scorer Marko Arnautovic made it 2-0 with a smart finish following a neat 1-2 with Gyan.

That goal sprung the visitors into life and within 4 minutes they reduced the deficit back to one goal courtesy of a driven shot from Argentine defender Gabriel Heinze 2-1.

That goal gave Hull a major lift and just 3 minutes later they were gifted a chance to get back on level when the ref pointed to the penalty spot after a foul on Kuranyi by Aogo but Vossen rifled his shot into the stands much to the dismay of the traveling support.

That penalty miss galvanized the home side who regained the initiative and with just 20 minutes to go they made the game safe thanks to a wonder goal from defender Ferreira Mariano who's rocket shot flew past keeper Mcgregor before he had chance to move 3-1.

Hull tried in vain to get back in the game but Barnsley showed their steel and held out comfortably to claim a well earned 3 points. FULL TIME.

After the game Tykes boss Steve Thompson met up with the media to discuss the game.

" It's another brilliant home result for us and keeps the pressure on the top two to get results. We have picked up a couple of draws recently and whilst they are good results we were always a mindful that we needed to start converting more of our chances which we did tonight. My boys deserve a lot of credit for their performance tonight they battled away and got their rewards.

Tonight was a tough game Hull are a good side with some real quality for this level but we are improving with every game and we are more than capable of maintaining our place in the top six but we want to better that so our eyes are fixed on the top two now our aim has to be to climb higher.

We now turn to Saturdays game against Plymouth who will provide a stern test for us.Their away form is better than their home so they will be coming here with no fear and determined to start climbing out of the bottom half"

De jA vU -Another 6

six.png

Bottom of the league Liverpool played away at Arsenal and banged in six goals for the second consecutive game albeit against an unfit Arsenal side.

Goals came in the shape of :

V.MARCELO 7, 43

W.ROONEY 64

M.GOMEZ 74

D.DE ROSSI 81

A.ROBBEN 88

with a solitary reply form Andre Santos for the home side.

It might not be much but it shows the club are heading in the right direction we were minus 6 goal difference so at least we have brought that up to just minus 1, we will have to keep knocking and hopefully catch on to the 4 teams above us who are 4 points ahead , we play new boys Exeter next who are on a fine run since coming up from the second so we are not taking nothing for granted but points must be taken from my perspective from the game.

stevep.png

Thompson delighted to reach half century

478051050092487931.jpg

Steve Thompson will take charge of Barnsley for the 50th time when they play host to Plymouth on Saturday

Barnsley entertain Plymouth Argyle at Oakwell tomorrow looking to reach the summit of division 3 for the first time this season. The South Yorkshire outfit have been the divisions surprise package following their promotion last season losing just once to Walsall earlier in the season and if the Tykes keep up this impressive form a second successive promotion is a real possibility.

Tomorrows game also marks manager Steve Thompson's 50th game in charge at Oakwell. Thompson is the clubs second longest serving manager behind Real Khai and has instilled some much needed stability back into the club after nine managers came and went and in that time the Tykes slipped into the bottom division for the first time in 7046 history but in came Thompson on the 2nd September and the rest they say is history as the Tykes were promoted back to division 3 via the play off's.

BARNSLEY TEAM NEWS :

Steve Thompson will be forced to make one change for the visit of the Pilgrims after it was confirmed left back Dennis Aogo will miss the next three games with an ankle complaint that could pave the way for on loan Martin Montoya's first league start of the season although Morrocan stopper Abdelhamid El Kaoutari could also bee chosen

THOMPSON'S PRE MATCH WORDS :

It's been a wonderful first 50 games in charge and i am very much looking forward to the next 50. It's been about building memories and taking the club to the next level and we are certainly on course with that goal. Our performances on the whole this season have been first class and we need to replicate that again tomorrow in what will be a very tough test.

The squad is looking in good nick and training ground is buzzing we just need to keep our feet firmly on the ground and not get too ahead of ourselves. It's all about the next game"

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 12-PT1

Division four leaders Swindon won 2-1 at home to Bristol Rovers.Rudnevs got both of the goals for the robins with a Benitez strike for Rovers sandwiched in between.

Colchester cling on to Second place in the league despite a 5-1 thrashing at Orient who are up to fifth.Basta grabbed a brace for the O's with Postiga,Iborra and Toni also adding to the scoreline.Ighalo scored for United.

Chesterfield were 1-0 winners at home to Oldham who stay third. A twelfth minute goal from Rodallega won the points for the Spireites.

Brentford stay fourth with a comfortable 4-0 win at home to Wycombe.Amorim and a penalty from N'Doye gave the bees a two nil lead at the break.Mulgrew and Maicosuel added two more in the second half.

Shorpe could only manage a 0-0 draw at home to Aldershot and drop to sixth on the back of this result.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 12-PT 2

Dagenham won 3-0 at home to Burton.The Daggers led one nil at half time with a goal from Jenas and further goals after the break from Duff and Barton finished off a good day's work for Dagenham.

Southend won 2-0 at home to Cardiff.Both goals came in the first half and were scored by Bulut and Gouffran.

Accrington suffered a 3-2 defeat at home to Brighton who picked up a welcome three points.Stanley led at the half way point with goals from Bony and Kelvin.Lustig had netted for Albion.Lustig added his second after seventy two minutes and with eight minutes left of the match Stokes scored to win the match for Brighton.

Rotherham won 2-1 at home to Gillingham.Ibarbo and Andre got the goals for United with Voronin scoring for the gills.

Shrewsbury were at home to Stockport and ran out 4-2 victors.N'Gog,Mehmedi and Kruse all scored before half time for the shrews with Welliton scoring for County.Brahimi added a fourth for Shrewsbury before Rever netted for Stockport to make the scoreline a little more respectable.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 13-PT 1

Orient held on to fifth place after holding league leaders Swindon to a 2-2 draw.Swindon took the lead in the match when Sio scored but goals from Toni and Routledge gave the o's the lead.Insigne got a late equaliser for the robins.

Oldham moved up to second with a 4-3 win at home to fourth placed Brentford.Th bees led the match 2-0 with both goals courtesy of Mulgrew but De Guzman and Mceachran levelled the game.Giaccherini got two more for the latics with Maicosuel netting Brentford's third.

Colchester are down to third after losing 2-1 at home to Rotherham.Fabian and Saviola put Rotherham two ahead before Ighalo got the consolation for Colchester.

Dagenham move up to sixth place with a 2-0 win away at Aldershot.Gera and Young got the goals which were both scored in the first half.

Wycombe drew 1-1 at home to Shorpe.Johnson gave Wanderers the lead but it only lasted five minutes before Cuenca made it all square.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 13-PT 2

Brighton were beaten 2-1 at home by Southend.Gouffran and Leto put United two in front before Martens pulled one back for Albion.

Cardiff lost 1-0 at home to Chesterfield.The Spireites left it late though with Torbinsky scoring with two minutes left of the match.

Burton were comfortable 4-1 winners at home to Shrewsbury.Devic put the brewers ahead but Vydra had the shrews level a minute later.Brunt put Albion back in front just before half time.A second half penalty from Brunt and a goal from Castro wrapped up the points for Burton.

Gillingham drew 1-1 at home to Accrington.Mulder gave the gills a half time lead but kelvin levelled with just over twenty minutes left.

Stockport were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Bristol Rovers.Bristol had a great start going in front after three minutes when Yobo scored.Welliton equalised for County in the second half.

stevep.png

Thompson celebrates landmark with Pilgrims victory

simongraysonmanchester0.jpg

Steve Thompson was victorious in his 50th game in charge of Barnsley

Barnsley set celebrated manager Steve Thompson's 50th game at the helm in the best possible way beating Plymouth 2-1 at Oakwell the Tykes also set a new club record in the progress by going 11 league games unbeaten.

Thompson was forced into one change from the team that beat Hull last time out with Dennis Aogo making way through injury and Morrocan defender Abdelhamid El Kaoutari coming in as his replacement slotting in at left back.

13,568 were inside Oakwell and within 10 minutes they were on their feet celebrating after striker Asamoah Gyan slotted home from close range to make it 1-0. with 27 minutes on the clock the visitors thought they had drawn level Miralem Sulejmani hit home after breaking clear but his celebrations were halted by the assistants flag for offside. That let off woke the Tykes up and just two minutes later they doubled their advantage Asamoah Gyan again the scorer firing home first time following a wonderful ball from defender Loric Perrin 2-0.

Plymouth were still stinging from that disallowed goal earlier in the game but just before half time they get back into the game courtesy of a fine long range strike from Scottish playmaker Robert Snodgrass 2-1.

The second half was all about Barnsley's stubborn defense who soaked up plenty of pressure from the desperate Pilgrims and when they were breached goalkeeper Eduardo showed his steel and determination to keep a clean sheet in the second half and help his team to another valuable 3 points. FULL TIME.

After the game a relieved Steve Thompson gave his thoughts on the game.

" It's another gutsy and determined performance from my team tonight and i am pleased with the result. It wasn't vintage Barnsley tonight but i think we have to get used to teams making it difficult for us and sometimes you just need to grind out a result. It keeps the run going and builds the lads confidence and it makes the whole place enjoyable to be at everyone is loving it right now.

Plymouth were a tough outfit and will feel hard done by with the disallowed goal but we got that slice of luck and took full advantage i have no doubt they will be OK this season.

We have what is going to be a cracking game away at Watford next they are top of the league and going strong but we know a win could see us top of the pile and that is the only motivation my lads need. They were classed as one of the favorites before the season kicked off and have lived up to that tag so far but we fear no one and will be going there looking to attack and get the three points which are on offer"

Sandro Signs for Aston Villa!

First Signing Under New Regime!

235432hp2.jpg

Aston Villa have confirmed the rumours that since the appointment of Jay Gonzanez to manage The Villians that Villa have completed their first signing. Manager Jay, after taking over the club had made it clear that some serious changes were going to be made and that he would be working tirelessly to improve his squad. He has drawn first blood as he announced today that Villa had secured the services of an amazing midfielder in Ranieri Sandro. The Brazilian, an outstanding defensive midfielder, who can hold a team together almost single-handedly was without surprise courted by many clubs but it is Villa who have managed to sign him. Sandro joins Villa from Bristol City in a deal which sees Javi Garcia and highly rated youth Carl Jenkinson go the other way. Two good players depart but they bring in a great player. Sandro will no doubt prove to be vital for Villa as they look to get out of the horrible position they were in when Jay took over the club and the defensive aspect of the team has no doubt been improved with the addition of a holding midfielder as good as Sandro to the squad. The Brazillian arrived at Villa Park this morning to a standing ovation from the fans and has already been welcomed into the club. The fans are delighted with the addition even if it did see two players go the other way. Manager Jay Gonzanez also gave us a quick word regarding the transfer:

I'm delighted that Sandro has joined us and I'm very glad that a player of his quality is now at my disposal. I have no doubt that he will prove to be a crucial player for our squad as he will be looking to hold our side together from the center of midfield. He will definitely be essential if I am to get Villa out of the relegation zone and keep them away from it for the rest of the season. Bringing in Sandro did have a price as we lost Garcia and Jenkinson but I am ecstatic to have him join no matter what the price. I wish Jenks and Garcia the very best of luck at their new club. We'll ensure that Sandro feels at home immediately and adjusts perfectly to the new colours.

Why Carra is the perfect solution for Orient!

jamie-carragher-460-760580728.jpg

Leyton Orient have managed to sign Jamie Carragher from Dijon FCO in an exchange deal for Simone Pecorini, Chuks Aneke, and 1,100,000.

When It was announced that Division 4 side Leyton Orient had signed Jamie Carragher, many pundits and analysts were left scratching their heads. Orient needed to build a future and yet they sold the likes of Pecorini and Aneke for an aging Carragher who had announced his retirement in real life. However, as anyalysts further investigated and analyzed the transfer, they realized Oreints true goals.

When Carragher was on the external market, his value was a cheap fee of only around 3.2 million. Orient was in desperate need of a defender after selling their own 5.1 million valued Heurtaux to PSG for a whopping fee of 11.2 million. Not only did Carragher offer a higher rating (88) but he also provided Orient with versatility as He can play either as a centreback or right back.

Financially, Carragher was on a higher salary of only 5k more but He also gave Orient a great reimbursement package. Once Carra retires, his value will be transfered into cash value for the club. Carragher has yet to be declared retiring on SM but his value as of right now for Orient is 8 million. His value of 8 million will improve Orient financially as they will be reimbursed with the full 8 million. If Orient still have Carra when his TB is gone and His status is still not retiring, Orient can use Carra in external deals for higher rated players still out there externally or even sell him for more cash.

Carragher's impact on the dressing room should also be highly valuable to the Division 4 side. He has already been named Captain and should serve as a great mentor and leader for all the squad players. Players such as Maher, Benassi, and Narsingh should benefit greatly by being exposed to a living Legend at such a young age.

Carragher may have seemed like a puzzling signing at first but He is well worth it for Orient. He is still a high rated player at 88 and his value has skyrocketed once he joined the London Side. Carragher can be a solution and improvement to off the field, on the field, and financial issues for Leyton Orient.

stevep.png

Tykes stung by impressive Hornets

3024051623.jpg

Steve Thompson during his sides heavy defeat away at Watford

Barnsley's 11 game unbeaten league run came to a crashing halt tonight as they were convincingly beaten by league leaders Watford at Vicarage Road with the final score 4-1. Despite the heavy defeat Thompson's men remain in 3rd position as Watford were the only team in the top six to record a victory.

The Tykes named the same side that beat Plymouth at the weekend although regular left back Dennis Aogo was deemed fit enough to take a place amongst the substitutes and within 10 minutes he was wishing he was out on the field to help his team as they went 1-0 down courtesy of a Roman Pavlyuchenko penalty after Tykes defender Mariano was adjudged to have brought down the Russian.

That goal had the 15.000 plus inside the stadium on their feet and just past the half hour mark things got even better when they made it 2-0 thanks to a beautifully struck effort from Greek attacker Kostas Mitroglou. The visitors looked shell shocked but they managed to pull a goal back almost immediately through Steven Pienaar who curled home a free-kick from the edge of the area following a foul on Gyan from Watfords Juan Forlin 2-1.

That goal made the home fans nervous but they needn't have worried as just five minutes later Watford restored their two goal cushion with a second of the game from striker Roman Pavlyuchenko who fired home with venom 3-1. HALF TIME.

Barnsley came out for the second with intent but Watford continued to show why they sit top of the table and just before the hour mark they killed off any thoughts of a Barnsley fight back making it 4-1 courtesy of a header from Brazilian Douglas Costa which was deflected past keeper Eduardo.

Poor finishing ensured that the game finished 4-1 to the host who sent out a clear warning to their rivals that they up for the fight this season. FULL TIME.

After the game a frustrated Steve Thompson gave his thoughts to the press...

" It's a disappointing result make no mistake about that but when the referee awards a penalty as soft as the one he gave tonight inside 10 minutes you know you are up against it. For me their boy has made a meal of it and the ref has fell for the con hook line and sinker.

Watford showed why they are top of the table they were ruthless and made us look a shadow of ourselves which is disappointing as i know we are a lot better than what we played tonight.

We must not dwell on this result yes it is disappointing but the 11 games before were excellent and we must get back to that level. We will iron out a few issues on the training ground and be ready for Derby at the weekend"

Expressandstar.jpg

Harman Hopeful Of Dembele Return

3177528880-soccer-international-friendly-england-v-belgium-wembley-stadium.jpg

Walsall manager Tony Harman today admitted he cannot wait for the return of influential skipper Mousa Dembele. The Belgium International has been sidelined for the past 2 weeks with a thigh strain picked up against Bournemouth and isn't due back for another 2 weeks during which time Walsall have failed to win. Harman, ' Mousa is a huge player for us, if you look at his scoring record since arriving here it's outstanding. 59 goals in 95 league games is pretty special and shows what he brings to the team. There's no doubt we've missed him and I think we may have done slightly better over the past couple of weeks if we'd of had him fit and playing but it's a squad game and the lads who come in have got to take there chance, step up and show me that they deserve to play every week'. Harman also admits Dembele is likely to miss another few games and estimates his skipper to return on Wed 6 Mar as Walsall host Swansea City.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 14-PT 1

Swindon stay in pole position in Division four with a 2-2 draw at home to Stockport.Sio gave Swindon the lead but Rever equalised to make it all square at the interval.A Colak penalty gave County a shock lead early in the second period but Rudnevs scored on the hour to make sure the points were shared.

Oldham stay second despite a 4-3 defeat away at Shorpe who climb to sixth with this victory.A Boselli penalty gave United the lead but Jones scored to level things up.Lamah put the home side back in front but within a minute Seleznyov equalised.Carmona struck Shorpe's third but with five minutes left

Jonas thought he had earned a point for Athletic.United had different ideas and with three minutes to go Sosa scored what proved to be the winner for Shorpe.

Brentford earned a 0-0 draw at home to Cardiff and move up to third place in the league table.

Colchester slipped to fourth after a 4-2 defeat away at Accrington.Colchester went in front after thirty minutes when Bogdanov scored.Kelvin scored his first of the game to restore parity before Dragovic netted to put Stanley ahead at half time.Tatos did bring United level but a second goal for Kelvin and a strike from Cleverley won all three points for Stanley.

Dagenham climbed to fifth with a 3-0 win at home to Wycombe.Hitzelsperger and Jones put the daggers two up in the first half before Barton sealed the victory with eight minutes of the match remaining.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 14-PT 2

Rotherham drew 0-0 at home to Orient.Both teams had their chances but couldn't convert them on the day.

Southend won 3-1 at home to Gillingham.Xavier and Ramis had United two goals in front at the break but Voronin pulled one back for the gills.A second goal from Xavier ensured the points for Southend.

Chesterfield beat Brighton 4-2 at home despite going behind to a goal from Kaldirim.Torbinsky struck twice to put Chesterfield in front and Rodallega scored to put the result less in doubt.Brighton then scored again through Stokes to make it a good finish to the match.Antonelli eventually put the home fans nerves at ease when he netted with just over ten minutes left.

Bristol Rovers drew 1-1 at home with Burton.The game was goalless at the halfway mark but Boye put Rovers ahead before Amrabat levelled the game for Albion.

Shrewsbury were beaten 2-1 at home by Aldershot.The away side got off to a great start when Schelotto and Lukaku scored within the first ten minutes of the match.The Shrews got a consolation from Choupo-Moting in the second period.