TheDuffman

English Championship 7046 Match Reports/Transfer Gossip Thread

Re: English Championship 7046 Match Report/Tranfer Gossip Thread

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

leathersoccerchairhattr.jpg

Glory Days - Chesterfield

Hi Glory Days, welcome to the hot seat. So when I first put together the division 4 interviews, a 2 horse race seemed inevitable. Since then though both Swindon and Dagenham have been losing key games (the Swindon gaffer angrily remonstrated, “The curse of the end of season interview has struck, lost my last two games! Damn you Dawson”) whereas Chesterfield have been in tremendous form and just keep on winning. Can Chesterfield really do it?

First off, thanks Jooles for having me. It has been a topsy-turvy season to say the least, after being hammered by leaders Swindon Town 6-1 on the opening day, most would have thought that our season would have been horrible but that was only one game. Since then, we have improved remarkably.

As for us being title contenders, it will have to depend on the top 2 dropping points and for us to consistently grab three points. At the moment we are 3 points away from Dagenham who are in second that’s our main focus but if we can achieve that who knows what the season may hold.

3rd spot (and climbing?) is some improvement on last season’s 16th placed finish. What hass changed with the Spirites this season?

I suppose there are many things that have changed; we’ve had a change in tactics, personnel changes and a general shift to play for each other. The last two seasons, I was trying to put square pegs in round holes, constantly changing tactics and as a result, we never really got going.

This season, we made some astute acquisitions with Hugo Rodallega who has been a marvellous bargain scoring 16 goals and 12 assists so far, not bad for a player worth only $4.1 million, we brought in Nemanja Matic who since his rise from 86 to 88 has been a permanent starter in my first XI and we brought back Claudio Bravo who has been a consistent shot stopper since coming from Blackpool. I also think a change in mentality has been crucial to the team, as we now play more as a collective than we used to.

At 92 games you are the longest standing manager of the 9 that have served at the club. What has kept you around so long and just what are the challenges of managing one of the set-ups’ smaller clubs?

Its been a absolute pleasure managing at Chesterfield and I’m honoured to be their longest serving manager ever. I suppose what has kept my hunger is the challenge of managing a side in the most competitive English setup where nothing comes easily and trying to get success on the football field as well as on the balance sheet. I feel it makes the victories sweeter to saviour and the desire to succeed even stronger.

The thing with smaller clubs is that you appreciate any revenue your receiving as the resources are stretched to the limit and although you have less finances and you can’t just “remake” a side to your own image, you have to work with what you have and that makes me grow as a manager and tactician.

chesterfield-fc.jpg

I have to say it looks a dogfight down there in the basement. Which division 4 clubs/managers do you respect and why? Any top tips or us to watch out for in the future?

I respect all the managers that I go up against every week, as I know that they are dealing with the same financial problems I am while trying to succeed on the football field. In terms of managers that I respect, I would have to tip my hat to the Colchester and Dagenham managers. I think that with Colchester, they are succeeding even with a smaller budget than myself! They’re side has an average rating of 85 in a league where 87 is almost a perquisite and he is succeeding with that.

The Dagenham manager has done wonders with an aging squad who most would have thought that they would have petered out their careers in division four but that isn’t the case. Like Carlo Ancelotti at A.C Milan, he has molded the side into a winning team and most teams that play them have to play on their terms.

The manager that I would most be interested in seeing next season is Gillingham manager, Burrow. He’s completely changed the side since his arrival in midseason and they have done relatively well but with the large transfer kitty that I know he has, I will be interested to see if he makes any moves in the transfer market or try to do his best of the players at his disposal.

And looking outside of division 4, who is your money on to win each of the respective leagues this season?

I would have to say Tottenham in Division 1 since they have the old established players and they look strong coming into the final run in. Division 2 would be Stoke City; a 6 point buffer from 2nd place is a valuable thing to have with 5 games to go and in Division 3, its similar to our situation with the top 2 having a 6 point buffer from 3rd placed Watford but I’ll back the underdog and support Watford!

Finally, heading back to Chesterfield to wrap things up, your team is currently fielding an 87 average, whereas the top teams in division 3 now are boasting 89-averages and even the bottom 3 sides are turning out teams of 87, 88, and 89 averages. Should Chesterfield go up do you really think they can compete and how long will they stay there (either going up or down)?

Well it’s too early to talk about promotion at the moment; we’re taking it one game at a time. But speaking generally, I’ve found in my time in management, that rating isn’t the only factor in winning games. It takes commitment, tactical nous and trying to get the most out of your players to get success. I don’t think a 87 rated side would look out of place in Division 3 but provided they utilise their players properly.

Well many thanks Glory Days. I would think that if things keep going the way they have of late you’ll be seeing glory days pretty soon at Chesterfield! Maybe even by the end of this season. A real shame about your Tottenham comment though, it kinda ruined an otherwise perfect interview. Anyway, all the best for the rest of the season…

stevep.png

From Russia with Love

arsenalarshavincropped.jpg

Barnsley bound - Andrey Arshavin has put pen to paper at Oakwell

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson has once again showed his ambition in the transfer market with the capture of Russian international Andrey Arshavin from Lokomotiv Moscow. The 31 year old attacker was courted by a number of clubs but chose to link up with Steve Thompson's high flyers and aid their fight for a second successive promotion. As part of the deal Barnsley have parted company with Ghanian international Asamoah Gyan.

Arshavin brings a wealth of experience to Oakwell having enjoyed spells at Arsenal,Blackburn Rovers and Stockport County as well as a one season stay at Nottingham Forest. In all Arshavin has made 163 appearances in 7046 scoring 45 and creating 45 and Tykes supporters will be hoping that he can help their club achieve promotion with his goals and assist in the final games of the season.

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson spoke to the clubs official website about the signing.

"I am very happy to welcome Andrey to Barnsley and very much look forward to working with him. It shows the ambition of the club to get somebody of Andrey's caliber into the club and it shows that are stock is rising as Andrey had a few clubs chasing him.

We lose Asamoah Gyan as part of the deal which is a blow but Asamoah expressed a desire to move on and this deal allowed that to happen.

Andrey is unfortunately banned for our game against Derby due to a previous suspicion whilst at Blackburn but he will be available for our home game against Doncaster Rovers at the weekend"

Arshavin also spoke about the move.

"I am delighted to have signed for Barnsley and i can't wait to get going. I enjoyed my time in England last time around and couldn't wait to come back. Barnsley are a club on the up and i want to be part of that success. The manager is doing great things here and the opportunity to work with him was also a major factor is choosing Barnsley.

The club is in a superb position and if i can contribute in these final games and get promoted that would be a dream"

warcry.gif

SUPER MORAES HOLDS BRAVE BLADES AT BAY.

Brigadier_normal.jpgBrigadier Lethbridge-Stewart Writes... Sheffield United fans were left to count the cost of poor finishing after a solitary Luis Fabiano goal saw the Yorkshire outfit take another giant step into division two next season. The 1-0 defeat at the hands of Europe bound Bristol city at Bramall lane tonight leaves the Blades a full 5 points adrift of the safety zone with just 4 games to play. It could have all been so different for hosts who, despite falling behind after barely 11 minutes on the clock more than created enough chances to earn at least a much needed point. Sporting an attacking 3 man offensive line the home fans were left groaning as City keeper Artur Moraes rightfully earned his man of the match award with a catalogue of world class saves. Despite the defeat United boss Ernie Borgnine managed a confident smile as he struck a defiant note as he told waiting reporters..

'' I think the lads can hold their heads up after tonight's performance. We proved that with a little confidence and application we can more than hold our own in this division. Lets be clear Bristol City are a fine team and are clearly superbly marshalled by John Henry, but aside from the early goal and a stunning display by their keeper, I think all but the most biased onlooker would consider us the better team tonight. Does the defeat signal the end ?, no I don't think so but its vital we pick ourselves up for the journey to Tottenham on Wednesday night. Yes its going to be extremely tough down there, but I'm expecting an open match, as they will no doubt bring the game to us as they seek to press Boro all the way to the title finish line. In such games anything can happen and so with a little luck and the same level of determination we displayed tonight perhaps we can surprise them. ''.... Ernest Borgnine

elephant-man1.jpg

A smiling ? Ernie Borgnine..

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

Zakkoo – Swansea

Next up, the man you have all been waiting for:

286 games and counting at Swansea Zak, one of 7046’s few remaining original managers. What has made you stick around for so long and have you ever been tempted to jump ship from Swansea?

Has it been that long? Jeez. Leaving Swansea has never crossed my mind, the amount of squad rebuilds I’ve been through its definitely kept it exciting.

It’s fair to say that Swansea are the archetypal yo-yo club, having bounced up and down between divisions 2 and 3 on a number of occasions. What’s the reason for the inconsistency? Are Swansea really no more than an average division 2 club as some contend?

When I started off as Swansea manager I completely re-built the side based on youth, so it was obviously going to take some time for us to challenge for promotion to the big league, but its safe to say we are on the right road now as our players mature into better players.

Actually back in season 2 Swansea did make the playoffs, finishing 6th and then losing 4-2 to Leeds in the playoff semi-final in the end. Do you think Swansea can ever make it to the top flight and what will it take for them to make it there?

Definitely, with near on guaranteed promotion to division two secured I have no doubt we will be challenging for promotion to Division one next season, its what the fans and the club deserves as well.

427752_316137268449265_1409178886_n.jpg

This season’s division 3 title race is an incredibly tight-knit affair, with Swansea vying for top spot with rivals Walsall and Watford. With just 4 games to go, who do you fear most and who do you believe out of the 3 will eventually lose out?

Its definitely between ourselves and Walsall, they are such a great team and definitely have the edge over Watford! The quality in their side is scary and with such a great manager they are our greatest rivals.

The penultimate game against 2nd place Walsall is on paper a mouth-watering encounter. You’ve beaten them once already this season, edging them out 2-1 in a narrow encounter. What do you rate your chances of doing that again second time around and just how important is that game likely to be?

I wouldn’t like to rate our chances as anything can happen, but we've watched them play many times this season and we know how to handle them, so we will play out game and see how it works out! It’s a title decider without a doubt, whoever wins will take the title.

Last up, that was a truly stunning win to thump Man Utd’s SOP 4-0 in the Shield final. Just getting there was an incredible achievement for Swansea, let alone winning, but with 8 trophies and 5 runners-up spots ahead of the Shield final SOP is without a doubt the most successful manager 7046 has ever seen. There are his critics who say that SOP started with the strongest team, rarely changes tactics, and has made some questionable transfers decisions, not least the Torres for Rooney swap, and so is perhaps not a great a manager as it appears. Where do you stand on SOP as a manager?

There was never any doubt in out mind we couldn’t come away with a win, our squad on a whole have put in loads of effort into the cup so we didn’t want it to come to an end because we were scared of a teams past. We proved how good we were to get that far, United should definitely have been scared of us.

The way I see is that he is doing what works and lets be honest it shows, he is truly a great manager and one the best 7046 has seen, no denying that.

You could argue the Rooney for Torres deal seems a dud one now, but when it was done Torres was an inform prolific striker, so its not that bad if you ask me!

Well thanks Zakkoo, took your time but well worth the wait! I have to say that the Swansea vs. Walsall game just looks tastier and tastier the closer we get to the end of the season. The 7046 game of the season for sure if you ask me! Best of luck with that and, not to count your chickens, automatic promotion too.

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

Gonzodan – Blackburn Rovers

And now we have division 1 wannabie Gonzodan, speaking about life at the Rovers:

So what’s with division 2 this season? There’s been just 9 wins in the last 3 games between the top 10 teams. The form team is Aston Villa, having won the last 5 in a row, and they’re down in 13th spot, followed in the form league by Rochdale (17th place) and QPR (16th place). Are nerves getting to people? Does no-one want it?!

These things happen. I think it is just testament to the quality of the division, or more precisely, the gulf between the top and bottom teams is not as pronounced as in other divisions (with possible exception to the 3rd division). Sunderland and Newcastle do have show off teams, but rating wise they are not unbeatable. I know it is a cliche, but on their day, any team can beat any other. I'm sure next season you will see the dynamic of the table change considerably from the way it finishes this season, and teams like the Villa team you mentioned will have a great chance to finish higher in the table.

As you may or may not be aware, Blackburn have previously failed twice in the playoffs, losing first 4-3 in the final to Sheff Utd back in season 3 and then heartbreakingly 3-1 on penalties to Exeter last season. Unless you have a tremendous finish it’s looking like you’re heading for the playoffs again. Third time lucky or are Blackburn never destined to make it to the top flight?

It's all about luck, and Blackburn have just been unlucky in the past. You set the team up in a way that you think will give them an opportunity to win, and the coin, however weighted (according to player ratings, form, tactics etc), is flipped. I can't say whether Blackburn will ever be in Division 1 with any certainty, but what I can say is that I will give them the best opportunity to make it.

Supposing you do end up in the playoffs, the other 3 teams who are there now all look very strong on paper. You’re done the double this season over Sunderland, taken 4 points from Coventry, but lost to Newcastle in the one game you’ve played. Do you fear Newcastle the most, and how would you rate the other teams that you may come up against?

For a start, I don't fear anyone (although I did fear Rick James in every set-up going, for a time, but have had better results against him of late). I agree our form against Newcastle is problematic, but no conclusions can really be drawn until we play each other again on Wednesday. A defeat against them will make me slightly concerned about a playoff match against them, but we will deal with that when it happen. They have a great squad, but with no win in 6, they are in serious danger in missing out of a playoff place. I think the last place will go to either them, Wolves or Pompy. The latter two side are not in great form themselves, so whoever sorts that out the soonest will win the place.

Coventry are a dangerous team. They went on a unbeaten superb run that luckily we were able to halt, but they will be a challenging draw for anyone. Sunderland are a lovely side on paper (I certainly wish I had Raz's assertiveness in the transfer market), but I think they can be beaten, and I've proved it this season. But the only game that counts is the next game. I think my chance of success is pretty good, but there is always next year, and I just enjoy being in the mix against all the talented managers that are in this EC.

759753-9164588-640-360.jpg

You’ve followed in some pretty big shoes at both Peterborough and Blackburn, including ReiceM96, Longnose, Kroitzz and Fernando. You’ve also followed notorious bad boy Mr. Hammer (at both clubs) and now your old love Peterborough has gone to reported bad boy Fudge the Cat. Now I’m a big believer in innocent until proven guilty but how would it feel if your old club was picked apart then discarded then dumped and would it be better if there were some way of preventing known cheats or perpetual rule breakers from joining esteemed forum setups? What way could that be?

Well it is pretty clear, that is exactly what is happening to Peterborough now! Selling young players like Miyachi, Romeu and Suarez for cash is perplexing. I think existing managers need to take a little more care when approaching new managers for deals, as the EC itself is at stake. But as I left Peterborough, I have no room to talk. With regards to known cheats, there is nothing that can be done other than educating the managers in the set up as to who these cheats are and to tread carefully. An option would be for SM to introduce a transfer embargo for a certain period of time, but that could be unfair for managers playing by the rules.

You’re in many of the forum-filled setups, EC’s 2933, 5579, 7777, 8888, etc. With the exception of 7777 you’ve won a title in every one of these, but never in 7046. Is EC7046 any harder than these other gameworlds or have you just been unluckier here?

For the record (and for those that don't know) I was a Division 2 Play-off winner in 7777, and subsequently have taken Sheffield United into Europe.

I agree 7046 is the missing link (I have a Playoff runners up trophy for Peterborough only so far), and there is no doubt that along with 7777 it is SM's premier gameworld. But I think my lack of titles so far is simply down to amount of time I have dedicated to it. The Peterborough job needed a lot of time invested in it and I was spread a little thin as I was in too many gameworlds. Now it is better and will get better still, so I will be able to focus more time here. So watch this space...

And final question, looking at the other end of the tables, in the three top divisions, who do you think are going to get relegated? Sheff United look as good as down, or can the mysterious new manager Ernest Borgnine save the day?

The bottom 3 teams look pretty set in Divisions 2 and 3 (sorry to those managers, I hope you can prove me wrong). The fight against relegation from Division 1 is much more up in the air. Forest and Leeds need results, and quickly. I think the mysteriousness of the new Sheffield United manager is definitely going to make some managers look over their shoulders. With only four games to go it is well and truly game on!

Well thanks very much. I have to agree with you, until this season I would have probably said that Rick James was about the top manager in 7046. Probably still is when he puts his mind to it. Well thanks ever so much, another great interview, and the best of luck for the rest of the season. Looking at the strength of some of those teams in the playoff it looks like you’re going to need it!

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 34-PT 1

Dagenham take over at the top of the table with a 4-3 home win against fourth placed Oldham.Hitzlsperger scored two for the daggers with Alcaraz and Jones also netting.Oldham's goals came from Denis and a brace from Agbonlahor.

Swindon drop to second after losing 2-1 at home to sixth placed Rotherham.Andre had given United the lead but Rudnevs levelled for the robins just after half time.Saviola got the winner for Rotherham just after the hour mark.

Third placed Chesterfield drew 2-2 at home to Gillingham.Rojo gave the home side the lead but Abdi levelled three minutes later.Chesterfield went back in front when Paloschi scored but Gillingham fought back and earned a penalty which was converted by Nugent.

Brentford stay fifth with a 1-0 win at home to Brighton.Elderson got the only goal of the match in the first half.

Accrington Stanley were 3-0 winners at home to Leyton Orient.Armand and Bony gave Stanley a two goal cushion at the break and a goal from Pogba in the second period wrapped up the match for Accrington.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 34-PT 2

Southend were beaten 1-0 at home by Colchester.Ighalo got the winner for Colchester a minute before the ref blew for half time.

Shrewsbury were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Wycombe.Kruse gave the shrews the lead with Toivonen equalising for Wanderers.

Shorpe United won 3-0 at home to Cardiff City.Kluge,Kesimal and Fernandez were the men on target for United.

Stockport County drew 2-2 at home with Burton.County looked like they had the match won when they went two in front with goals from Cortez and Lima,but the brewers made a late surge and netted twice,both scored by Castro.

Bristol Rovers were 2-0 winners at home to Aldershot.Spolli and Benitez got the goals which were both scored in the first half.

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

Geoffrey – Leyton Orient

And now we move to the other side of the Atlantic with an interview with EC7046’s second best Canadian, Mr. Geoffrey:

102 games and counting at Orient Geoffrey, how are things over at the Matchroom Stadium? Things look like they are getting better all the time at Orient.

As a young manager in 7046, Orient has been quite a challenge no doubt about it. Those 102 games that I’ve managed for this team has taught me a lot more then any other club job I have ever taken. I would say things are looking up for Orient as they always do :). My first season was a 20th place finish, and last season , We finished 18th. Compared to those seasons, I think Orient has had a terrific one. Cash is flowing, the Club isn’t in debt, and we continue to add more and more quality. All is great at Matchroom Stadium!

And yet a couple of weeks back you said, “Another draw on the cards. I might leave Orient soon.” Were you being serious? Are you about to jump ship any time soon?

No, I was never going to jump ship but the press must have loved it. I think at that time I was growing increasingly frustrated at Orient’s performances. I remember us being in the Playoff Zone for the longest time, and we have been on bad form since. I won’t jump ship anytime soon as I love this club a lot, and I feel I’ve really changed the team. Birmingham wanted me this season, but I knew where my loyalties and my heart lay and that was here at Leyton Orient.

I’m sure you’ll agree, it’s a very mixed season you’re having. Ever since you won 3 games on the trot at the beginning of the season you’ve not managed to put two wins together until just recently, and then you go and do it against top of the table Swindon and promotion chasing Rotherham! What’s with the inconsistency and how is it that Orient seem to be able to beat anyone on their day?

LOL, that is certainly what has described our season. I would say this season has been like a roller coaster. We have been on top of the coaster at times right at the peak, but then you can find us at the bottom at the next second :o. It’s been very frustrating this season, no doubt about it. I know that this team has the quality to get promoted as we, ourselves, were in the playoff picture for the longest time. I’m surprised we haven’t won more than 3 straight this year, and that surely is what is holding us back.

We need to be more consistent, and I feel our team just has lapses of concentration that hold us back greatly. I think that whenever Orient plays other teams, we are underestimated and no one really takes us too seriously. Knowing that, we go out and make sure we play our style of Football. Some would say we are just lucky to beat these top teams, but I would say we’re unlucky not to beat enough of those teams.

Leyton-Orient-007.jpg

It’s no secret that you are a huge Inter fan. How did that come about and any tops tips (that you’re willing to share) for future prospects coming out of the San Siro?

Well, as a kid, I always tuned in every Sunday to watch Serie A games here in Canada and I just became an Inter fan because they were always playing on Sunday’s and I liked the colors of their jerseys. Sure enough, as time moved on, I became more and more into Inter and the players at that time such as Zanetti, Adriano, Vieri, Toldo,Cruz, Stankovic, Cambiasso, and Cordoba. I have fond memories of watching Serie A football and especially the Derby’s between A.C and Inter.

I remember Dida being hit by a flare one time, and Kaka literally breaking Samuel’s ankles as he ran and twisted the defender as He dribbled. Inter was a top 4 team back then and It wasn’t until 2005 that we started to win Scudettos. I remember in 2004 when Inter used to tie every game, and I asked my Father, how come they tie all the time? He didn’t have an answer . Anyways, It’s a new period and time of transition for Inter, and It’s time for us to start anew.

Hmm, well should I? Tell you what if anyone wants advice or asks me about up and coming Inter players just message me on the forum or in game. I’ll be happy to tell you guys anytime.

It’s also no secret that you’re extremely active in the transfer market, 76 transfers in and 30 out in this season alone! That said, the purchase of ex-Boro boy Jamie Carragher seems a bit of an oversight seeing as he’s set to retire at the end of this season. What do you think are you biggest successes and failures in the transfer market?

I didn’t realize that We had 76 transfers until all my 10ker and risers had risen :P. The majority of those 76 transfers are to keep our team in the green. My biggest success has got to be getting Gargano, Basta, Lugano, Galvez, Olic and Bahebeck this season. I’d say the best player I ever got from External was Michel Vorm :).

I don’t think I have yet had a failure but if Maher lives up to his hype, I might regret having sold him for Osvaldo and Quintero. I was beginning to think it was a bad deal to sell Harnik but I couldn’t turn down Zoet, Narsingh and a million. That being said, I don’t regret it anymore with Narsingh being a great talent and only one rating shy of Harnik while Zoet allowed me to acquire Olic from external.

Lastly, you’re just 5 points off a play-off space but rapidly running out of games. Given that you’ve not won 4 games in a row in your clubs history is it safe to say that your season is over this time around?

No, anything is possible, and Orient can still pull this off. It’s looking unlikely, but hey this is football! You never know what can happen ;).

Well I don’t believe that about my Walter Samuel for a second! Thanks Geoffrey, another great insight into the trials and tribulations in the basement. Keep doing what you’re doing, it’ll pay off eventually. Or not.

vancouver-courier-logo.jpg

TIME RUNNING OUT FOR UNITED.

the-abominable-dr-phibes-1971_thumb.png?1364164521Dr Phibes Writes...It promises to be a bottom clenching Saturday night for Sheffield United fans this weekend as the relegation haunted Blades travel down to North London in a make of break game against title chasing Tottenham Hotspur. With the club still a full five points away from the safety zone and with just 12 points available there’s a real fear at Bramall lane that anything less than a shock three points could see Uniteds first division survival hopes all but extinguished.

Despite the importance of the game at least media shy boss Ernie Borgnine has a full squad at his disposal save for the likely departure of bushy eyed reserve keeper Vlad ' big Gob' Gabulov. Whilst his leaving the club is all but a formality, the mono-browed stopper is currently pondering a return to the barren wastes of the Motherland after bids from Russian outfits Volga and Alania or, after a sudden bid from Millwall a move to the even less hospitable wastelands of Saff London. Borgnine has chosen to remain tight lipped about his tactics for the game, but after a shocking performance against Bristol City at the weekend Antoine Griezmann is likely to make way for either Pablo Hernandez or unsettled Italian front man Marco Borrielo.

After yet an impressive campaign, second place Tottenham go to the game in somewhat of an end of season crises after a run of 3 defeats in as many games has all but conceded the title race to top-dogs Middlesbrough. The last of which was the narrow 1-0 defeat at the hands of the champions elect this weekend, with a solitary Sergio Leone strike deciding what many labelled the biggest game ( indeed event) in the history of not only the known universe but also indeed of any undiscovered parallel universes. The weekends cataclysmic loss leaves Spurs 5 points behind Boro, but perhaps more worryingly for boss Ben Newman just 2 points ahead of Liverpool and 3 points clear of fourth and fifth placed Bristol City and Carlisle. Certainly missing from the Spurs line up is wideman Antonio Valencia who sits out the rest of the season with a torn ligament and Spurs fans will no doubt be hoping that 26 goal Robin Van Persie will once more be on target after an uncharacteristic 2 games without a goal.

_60174620_jessennisstill.png

Slaphead

Making the long journey South will be life long blades fan and Olympic gold medallist Jessica Einnes, and the the slap headed sprinter tonight took a break from training to tweet her support for the ailing Blades..

Aye appen me and a few of the gurls will be heading ta game ont Saturday, av it youse Blades, #kick them Southern baskets in their throats and stamp their faces inta the muck

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

craig – Millwall

”Once I had a love and it was a gas, soon turned out had a heart of glass…” Yes, you’ve guessed it, next up it’s Craig:

Hi Craig, life seems a tough old grind at the Den. How hard is it managing a small club?

It’s very difficult to manage a club with little finance, small squad and little cash.

That is the challenge that I like to take on, a lower league team is not the place to be if one can’t take losing or drawing. There's never a dull moment at the Den.

In a recent interview I pointed out that at Millwall, at 90.1M, have the second lowest squad value in all of 7046. Yet back at the end of season 1 when you came on board there were no less than 23 teams that had a squad value lower than Millwall’s (at 62.1M), many with a smaller stadium than Millwall. Why is it that Millwall have struggled to grow relative to these other teams?

I have less squad value coz each season I've had to offload our best players to balance the books and replace with lesser value/quality players (so I could get bodies in to let me sell). We were in red and couldn’t buy anyone and we also only had 21 players in total so we couldn’t sell either.

In those early days you really seemed to turn things around though. After picking up a sinking ship and finishing 16th in season 1, you bubbled in and around the playoffs in seasons 2 to 5, finishing 6th, 8th, 9th, and 4th respectively, often coming close, but never close enough to climb up a level. How disappointing was it getting a long hard whiff of division 2, but never a taste?

Yes, we tend to top the table after 10 games or so, then SM decides to give us 3 injuries which we couldn’t adapt to. We then wait ‘til they recover and our results go haywire till we are at full strength again. It was good to see my high finishes which had us in the play-offs. It was soul destroying to get so close to D2 without managing the final push. However, it works in reverse if I manage to stay in D3 it gives me a buzz and incentive to recharge my batteries for the next season. I Hope to get that buzz to say am staying in D3 this season.

In recent seasons though things have started to look grim for Millwall, with you surviving by the skin of your pants in 17th spot in season 6, and now, in 16th spot, just 3 points above the relegation zone, Millwall are again threatened with the drop. What’s going on at Millwall? Why the sudden downturn in form?

Yes, it’s been a battle just to stay in D3 lately. Only having 21 players, inj/susp meant I had to play any player in my squad just to get a team on the pitch. I purchased new players to help with the run-in of important matches. Again my new signing got INJ in his debut so I can’t play him until Wednesday fixture. (he won’t be fit enough ‘til then).

New-Den-cropped.png

Tell us about the blog. A lot of excellent hard work going on there and it’s been tremendously popular this season, especially the Saturday Match and Team of the Day. What does the blog mean to you and where do you see it going in the future?

Thanks, yes the most popular articles are TSM and TOTD, both are difficult coz of the high quality in 7046. Sometimes I have a shortlist of 60 players to select from in TOTD. The Future: I'd like the blog to have more writers in it, adding more articles to keep it varied (not just my stuff/views).

By contrast, it could be seen as detracting from the match reporting thread somewhat. What would you say to those who have suggested that 7046 doesn’t really need a blog, that we you could still run all the reports through the MR thread? Has the blog contributed to the slow, steady downturn in match reports over the seasons at all?

I notice some managers don’t add to the M/R thread, they just add it to the discuss thread or just add their result with scorers in discuss. The blog writers don’t add M/R in the blog, I do TSM which is a preview and after match Analysis, so I wouldn’t say it contributes to the M/R downturn. If we had say, 15 writers in the blog and they all did M/R there instead of the thread, then that may have a case for it. However, with only me doing one preview/analysis, I would say it’s not the blog that causes the recent downturn.

And to finish off, what does the future hold for Millwall Craig? Are they a club going places, and if so, in which direction?

Difficult to say, but the next 2 or 3 matches will tell me what division I will be in next season. It’s important for Millwall to stay in D3. We have a difficult match vs. Leicester to overcome without our new signing (inj). I will focus on young talent for the new season due to financial restraints so i hope they will play in D3. I enjoy being at Millwall and I hope to keep us in D3.

Well thanks Craig. If this were a real interview instead of just some questions sent over PM (sorry, I hate to shatter the illusion here people) I would push you on your second answer by following up to say that sure, but the point I was getting at it that all of these little clubs have to do the same thing to sell to balance books and all, but they’re still pulling ahead of Millwall, in value terms at least. Why the difference at Millwall? But it’s not a real interview, so I can’t.

Anyway, Best of luck with your pending relegation battle though. I always like it when real life Boro get relegated ‘cos we end up winning more games through the season than we do in the Premiership. Maybe it’d fun for the well behaved Millwall fans to go down too?!

Tottenham's Struggles Go On

Bale-3_zps8ba3649a.jpg

Tottenham starlet Gareth Bale looks on in despair as the full time whistle is blown at WHL

It's hard to believe that North London side Tottenham Hotspur led the premiership pack at one point during this season, but times have certainly changed since then. The dominance of current table toppers, Middlesbrough, and the emergence of Liverpool have made recent times for the White Hart Lane faithful tricky, as both of those sides have become the two dominant forces in the land. Add to that the teams below them breathing down Spurs' neck, and you can see why things aren't so pretty for the Londoners at the moment.

Their latest encounter saw them up against newly managed Sheffield United, who themselves need as many points as they can get as they fight it out for survival at the opposite end of the table. Just as things started to look bleak for The Blades at such a crucial time in the season, Ernest Borgnine took over the reins at Bramall Lane. His first official game in charge* saw him come up against European hopefuls Bristol City at home; a match in which his side came out on the wrong end of a 1-0 result.

So, it was clear for all to see how important a win could prove to be for both Tottenham and Sheffield United heading into their fixture at White Hart Lane. As it turned out, neither side got the result they wanted, but they did still gain some ground on the teams around them by sharing a point. With Liverpool hammering premiership leaders Middlesbrough 3-0 at Anfield, the point was not good enough for Tottenham to remain in second place, as The Reds leapfrogged above them due to having a superior GD. One positive for the White Hart Lane faithful was that neither Bristol City, Carlisle or Everton managed to pick up a point in any of their games, which means that a top four finish is still very much achievable for them at the very least; something which Newman's men could not say last season.

As for Sheffield United, this point does not see them gain any ground on West Ham; who currently sit just one place above the relegation zone, but it does see them move a point closer to 18th placed Arsenal, who lost to fellow relegation rivals MK Dons at home.

*Although Ernest was the manager of Sheffield United when they beat AS-St Etienne in the quarter finals of the Europa League, assistant manager, David Unsworth, was actually in charge of the team for that fixture.

LIVERPOOL SNEAK UP ON 2ND

This+Is+Anfield.jpg

Liverpool today took on top of the table Middlesbrough knowing anything but a win would end their slim shot at the title, Liverpool didn't disappoint with a 3-0 win, both teams set out in a defensive manner but with Liverpool set out to dominate possession it was no surprise to see them take the lead, Wayne Rooney got his head onto a lovely Marcelo cross to put the Reds 1-0 up on the quarter of an hour mark, Liverpool continued to dominate possession but Boro who set up on the counter-attack kept plugging away and shooting whenever they got the chance, but for a few world-class saves from Manuel Neuer Boro would have levelled the game.

rooney-celebration1.jpg

Things took a turn for the worse when Boro manager switched his tactics up on the 75th minute to push for an equalizer as they left big spaces at the back and Camilo Zuniga managed to whip in another delightful cross to that big target that is Wayne Rooney's napper and the artificially turfed hit-man duly obliged with his second headed goal of the game, moments later old man Abidal fouled Daniel De Rossi and Brazilian magician Viera Marcelo tied up the three points in devastating fashion with an awesome free-kick that dipped in the bottom corner past rooted Casillas.

What do you make of that win SMH?

I am glad to get the three points here, the lads done well out there, although the score did flatter us a bit.

Will Boro manager Jooles regret pushing for an equalizer which evidently has cost them a couple of valuable goal-difference points?

We will have to see what the last three games play out like to know the answer to that but yes it could be a schoolboy error that could cost him the title who knows.

Is there any truth in the rumour that you sent Jooles a commiserations on the result text ?

Haha yes I sent him that before the game even started, it was just a thinly veined attempt at unsettling him, I am pleased it never came back to haunt me.

SMH How do you see the rest of the season playing out?

Well between us and Bewman's Spurs it looks like we are probably the only two teams that could rain or the Boro parade but to do that we would in all honestly need to win all of our last three games and hope that Jooles can only muster five points or less from his last three games, looking at the fixtures the only thing I see for the league is a Boro ribbon on the trophy.

Before you go one last question, Do you think you can beat Manchester United over the two legs of the SMFA Cup semi-final?

We go into the games againt Man United with no fear but with this looking like Man United's only chance to win something this season I think it will be tough.

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

BigGameMo – Notts Forest

Well you all know him as BiggaMemo, or King of the Vulcans, but next up, as he’s known at Forest - BigGameYoYoMo:

Hi Mo. So tell me, are Forest’s best days behind them or ahead of them?

I want to say ahead, but these days, you just never know. The First Division is always getting better, and the match engine is always changing, and I really don't know if I'll ever see the heights of 3rd place in Division One again. We're only short one elite player in my opinion, but it's never easy to get that player in this league.

You’ve certainly had a rollercoaster ride in 7046 so far. A successful (and highly memorable) first season, a stellar 2nd season with a 3rd place finish, then the disappoint of relegation in season 3 followed by instant promotion by the playoffs, a 4th place spot in season 5, and then mid-table obscurity since then. What’s with all that Mo?!

What can I say, we're an unpredictable team. Generally speaking, I'm very proud of seasons 1,2,4,5; we met our objectives and got the job done, even if in seasons 1 & 4 we couldn't win Division 2. Seasons 3, I just can't explain. I tried every formation to start winning some games, but nothing worked. Season 6 was a bit lucky, but I'm still proud of the 10th position finish that season, especially since we spent most of the season between 11th & 15th.

Actually I was being over-generous calling season 7 mid-table obscurity. Really you’re still caught up in a relegation battle with a real danger of going back down again. With tricky ties against Chelsea, Man Utd, and a resurgent relegation-threatened West Ham to come are Forest in trouble? And if you should go down, with the quality of teams and managers in division 2 (and maybe even a Harman brother!), can Forest bounce back this time so easily?

I think with our win last Saturday vs. Everton, we should be fairly in the clear. We have a surprisingly good GD, and even though Chelsea & Man U away look like tough games, we should be able to put at least West Ham away. 1/3 wins will put us at 48 points; even if Arsenal win all their games, that's still not enough to climb above us.

1252502596___Nottingham_Forest_Banner.png

And what happened this season Mo? You had a very ropey start but then put together 6 wins in 7 games, followed by a run of 4 straight league wins. In the second half of the season though you’ve only managed to chalk up 2 wins. What’s been the problem recently? Could it be, as I contend, that it takes a squad not a team to stay the course of a season and that Forest just don’t have the depth to compete with the stronger squads in the long-run these days?

It is a depth issue. When we were on our run of 4 league wins, destroying the opposition, Giggs was in excellent form and partnering excellently with Iniesta. When he went down with a 10 week injury, our season went downhill.

Up front, we're loaded with wingers and we're fairly deep in the back, but in the midfield we're lacking quality CMs. Giggs provided that, and when he went down, we there was no quality replacement for him. If we can bring in some quality 91-93s to play in CM or up front, I think we could move into a top 5 team instead of a top 10, but until then, I think we're doing well to even have finished in the top 10 every season minus season 3 to this point.

Let’s talk about transfers for a moment. Some question Mr. Snooky’s judgment on that Iniesta for Kaka & Nesta transfer. How did that come about and has that provided you inspiration to try and stick cheeky bids in here and there since then? And what about selling Eto’o? Any regrets?

It was a cheeky bid and amazingly it went through. To date it has been by far my best transfer in this league. And don't forget about the transfers I did to get Kaka and Nesta in the first place...Arshavin got me Kaka, Marchena got me Nesta. I won't deny it...I'm a bit of a miser in the transfer market and I keep trying cheeky bids every so often hoping to get lucky. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in fair deals, but I will often try to be a little cheeky at first before moving into serious negotiations. Nowadays though, its super difficult to get deals done...cheeky or not, I haven't found a manager interested in doing a deal for a big time (read: 91+) player I want in quite a while.

Eto'o is a difficult one. I got 36 million from selling him to external, which is big money in today's league, but I didn't make very good use of that money if I remember correctly. Most of it went to youth products, and not enough went towards securing a decent 91+ player or two to replace Eto'o. I definitely miss having him at Forest, but he didn't ever really shine for us, even with Iniesta playing right behind him. But we haven't really had an elite striker like him since he left.

Finally, a question about tactics: there seems to be two schools of thought, the pick one formation, stick with it, and see if you can beat us camp, and the chop and change and counter approach. Is that how you see it, you seem to be in the latter group, and which approach do you see as being the most successful given that historically teams like Man Utd and Spurs have won the league using one formation, whereas teams like Boro and many of the smaller clubs in the top flight have found success by switching it around as needed?

Honestly, props to you Jooles for being able to switch up your formation regularly to win games. It's never worked for me. I tried it season 3 and failed miserably; this season, I've not had much luck with it either. During my successful seasons, for the most part I've stuck with one formation until it stopped working, then switched to a different formation afterwards. From the two groups you've laid out, I definitely think the former is the more successful, even though you're on the verge of winning your second title using the latter!

Thanks for the interview Jooles, and good luck down the stretch for the last three games!

Thanks Mo, nice to be given the good luck myself for once! And there you go folks, licence for you to keep sticking in those cheeky bids, lord help us. Well unless the lord intervenes Mo it all-but looks like you are with us again for next season. I bet there’s a few division 3 managers who breathed a sigh of relief. Or not. All the best fella…

balotellillapcelebratio.jpg

Couldn’t resist, for old times’ sake!

LIVERPOOL

This+Is+Anfield.jpg

Liverpool have been preparing for tonight's SMFA Cup semi-final with Manchester United, missing from the squad due to injury/suspension are Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Nigel De Jong & Correa Marquinos.

We have a couple of players missing so that is a slight worry but I feel we have enough of a squad to cover the players who will miss out, we are under no illusion that this will be anything other than a tough game, we have already lost twice this season to Manchester United so we know that they are a hard side to beat.

Manchester United will no doubt be pulling out all the stops for a win here as this looks like it will be their only chance of silverware this season, they have pedigree in this tournament having won it and been runners up a few times, us on the other hand we are hopeful of taking the last two seasons SMFA Shield wins that next step forward with hopefully a win in the big one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7M3k_Q3IwiKQt19CQJKF1Yyk56sSGrqRT3WcvKzJnKfxKLju55w

PAIR_zps9dc0667b.jpg

Liverpool have added Micheal Frey & Nicolas Tagliafico to their youth ranks, Frey came in for a swap for two youth players who were told had no future at Liverpool and Tagliafico came in for a cash bid of £4.4 million.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 35-PT 1

Dagenham increased their lead at the top of the table to three points with a 2-1 win away at Cardiff City.Kone got both goals for the daggers with Boukari on target for City.

Second placed Swindon were held to a 1-1 draw at Burton Albion.Insigne gave Swindon a first minute lead but Castro equalised for the brewers three minutes later.

Chesterfield stay third despite losing 5-3 away at Colchester.Ighalo got a hat trick for United with Bogdanov and Brozovic also getting their names on the scoresheet.Mariga,Paloschi and Torbinsky got the Chesterfield goals.

Oldham Athletic won 2-0 at home to Shrewsbury Town and stay fourth.Giaccherini got the ball rolling for the latics with Seleznyov adding a second goal after the break.

Brentford hold on to fifth place with a 3-1 at Gillingham.Gomez put Brentford in front but the gills levelled with a Nugent penalty.Amorim and Parejo got the important goals for the bees.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 35-PT 2

Sixth placed Rotherham were 3-1 winners at home to Accrington.United were one up when Andre scored but Bony made it all square just after half time.Saviola then struck twice for the home side to clinch the points.

An amazing game at Brighton saw the home team thrashed 8-2 by Shorpe.Ekdal and Fernandez both scored twice for Shorpe with Boselli,Sosa,Pennant and Kluge also adding to the tally.Martens and Movsisyan scored for Albion.

Leyton Orient drew 1-1 at home to Southend United.Osvaldo gave the east london side the lead before Leto equalised for Southend with six minutes of the match remaining.

Aldershot were beaten 3-1 at home by Stockport County.Eduardo got a hat trick for County with Fernandes scoring for Aldershot.

Wycombe were 2-0 victors at home to Bristol Rovers.Toivonen and Cole got the goals for Wanderers which were both scored in the first half.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 4-PT 1

Leaders Dagenham lost 1-0 at home to Brighton who bounced back from a heavy defeat last time out.Palacio got the winner for Albion.

Second placed Swindon were beaten 2-1 at home by Accrington Stanley.Bony had Stanley ahead in the first minute but a Rudnevs penalty brought the score level.A second goal for Bony proved to be the winner for Accrington.

Brentford are up to third place with a 3-0 win at home to Colchester United.Amorim,Junuzovic and Hoolahan got the all important goals fro the bees.

Chesterfield dropped down to fourth despite a 1-0 home win versus Leyton Orient.Torbinsky scored the winner in what will be his final game for the Spireites.

Rotherham United are up to fifth with a 3-2 win away at Southend United.Cicero put Southend in front but goals from Potuk,Romulo and Maicon put Rotherham ahead.Xavier got a second goal for Southend with five minutes remaining.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 36-PT 2

Oldham Athletic are in sixth place after losing 2-0 at Bristol Rovers.Shelvey and Benitez were the men on target for Bristol.

Shrewsbury Town thrashed Cardiff City 7-4.Choupo-Moting continued his fantastic season for the shrews by scoring five of the goals with De Las Cuevas and Fernandez also netting.Ninis,Garrido,Boukari and Rafinha scored for City.

Shorpe United lost 2-0 at home to Gillingham.A goal either side of the break from Vaz Te and Emnes won the points for the gills.

Stockport County were 3-2 winners at home to Wycombe.Eduardo and Neves put County two up before Sinclair pulled one back for Wanderers.Lima scored to regain the two goal cushion for Stockport before Vargas pulled another one back for Wycombe.

Burton were beaten 5-3 at home by Aldershot.Bojan got a hat trick for Aldershot with Benitez and Traore also on target.Diouf and Canas with two were the scorers for Albion.

ups, downs, ifs & buts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR_xDkv3sNYX1gt1BnmE4dPrRQBLRL30hd7mgBHzsuWU6iyWpk

So going into the last day of the mighty 7046's 7th season and here are the done,ifs, buts & maybe's.

Division 1:

Confirmed:

Middlesbrough -Champions

Liverpool/Tottenham -Champions League spots

Man City/Carlisle -Guaranteed Europe either CL or Europa

MK Dons -Relegation

Sheffield United -Relegation

Still to be resolved :

Last Champions league spot is between:

Bristol City/Man City/Carlisle

Europa League places between:

Man United/Huddersfield/Everton/Charlton/Chelsea/Fulham

Last relegation spot between:

West Ham United/Arsenal

*depending on winners of Euro Comps extra places may be avalailable

Division 2:

Confirmed :

Stoke -Champions/Auto Promotion

Coventry/Blackburn/Sunderland -Playoffs

Southampton/Nowich -Relegation

Still to be resolved :

Second Auto promotion spot between:

Bury & Coventry

Last Play-off slot between

Bolton/A.Villa/Newcastle/Portsmouth/Wolves/Preston/Burnley

Last relegation spot between

QPR, Wigan and Rochdale

Division 3:

Confirmed:

Auto Promotion:

Walsall/Swansea

Play-Offs

Barnsley/Watford/crystal Palace

Still to be resolved :

Division 3 winner

Walllsall or Swansea

Last play off spot between

Tranmere/Peterborough/Plymouth/Hull/Reading/Ipswich

Last relegation spot between

Millwall/Brimingham/Leicester/Northampton

Division 4:

Confirmed :Swindon/Dagenham/Chesterfield -Play offs

Cardiff -Wooden spoon

Still to be resolved :

Division 4 winner :

Swindon or Dagenham

Auto Promotion spots:

Swindon/Dagenham/Chesterfield

Play offs spots Brentford/Rotherham/Oldham/Accrington/Colchester/Shorpe

Good luck to all those who are still fighting for something and congrats and commiserations to the winners and losers in all categories.

stevep.png

Thompson ready for play off battle

leedssimongraysoncroppe.jpg

Play off experience - Barnsley boss Steve Thompson knows what it takes to be successful in the play offs

Barnsley's faint hopes of automatic promotion were ended last night as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at home to manager Steve Thompsons former club Tranmere Rovers. The Tykes will now have to settle for a place in the end of season play offs were their opponents as of yet are still not known. The defeat to Rovers was only the Tykes third on home soil all season but the performance is one that Thompson will not want to see again.

Barnsley did take the lead on 7 minutes through recent signing Andrey ARSHAVIN making it 3 goals in 3 games but Tranmere were back level just 13 minutes later through Sejad SALIHOVIĆ 1-1. The winner came late in the second half through one of Thompson's old signings Johan Elmander who fired home from just inside the box on 79 minutes 1-2.

Barnsley manager Steve Thompson spoke after the game.

"It's a disappointing way to end our regular home campaign but we have the play offs to redeem ourselves which will hopefully be in front of our own fans. Tranmere came here with real fire in their bellies they have the play offs insight themselves and i think they wanted it more than we did today which is a hard think to admit.

I will be making a lot of changes for our last regular season game against Sheffield Wednesday in order to keep the boys fresh for the play offs. I am not really concerned who our opponents will be on our day we can beat anybody and we have beaten all the teams in and around the play offs at least once so we know what it takes

We were in the play offs last season and came out successful. Hopefully we can use that experience to our advantage"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR00C1HqaHKy6UqQSpqU7rNeNQvmjCvl4EYdeab1m-iryIJUZIm

PLATO LEAVES IT LATEO TO SINK BRAVE BLADES

safe_image.php?d=AQBDLXYYmojJsghs&w=50&h=50&url=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fc%2Fc8%2FBrian_Cant.jpg&crop&fallback=hub_person&prefix=qBrian Cant Writes...It was the end of the first division road for Sheffield United last night as the Yorkshire side were relegated to the second tier following a 3-2 defeat at fellow strugglers Arsenal. In a tension filled evening at the Emirates, the hosts took the lead ten minutes before the break with a Edinson Cavani header following great work from Alexandre Pato. Incredibly barely 2 minutes after the restart the Blades were level in the game after Miroslav Klose chested the ball into the path of Ever Banaga who gratefully slotted the ball past the despairing Hugo Lloris.

Fifteen minutes after the half time break the game exploded once more into life with first Pato picking up what would turn out to be a game winning brace, before two minutes later United skipper Gareth Barry picked up his second yellow of the evening and in-turn his marching orders following a clumsy challenge on Sergio Busqets. Despite being reduced in numbers ten man United held on to division one survival and stunned the North London crowd when veteran Klose once more restored parity beating Lloris with a bundled finish on 65 minutes.

proxy.jpg?t=HBhKaHR0cDovL3NoYXJlLWZhc3RseS5waWNtb25rZXkuY29tL3Byb2QvcGhvdG9fcG9zdHMvRGszaHFEb3RKeG5fNjY2NjU2NS5qcGcUkAMUrAIAFgASAA&s=vIGIS74K0hN7Np-LWtAowzjcxHqNEagGwR8k8j4uQl0

Bitter Borgnine and two goal hero Alexandre Pato

As both teams warily probed for a vital third goal , United had the better share of chances with German Klose bringing a succession of neat saves from the Arsenal keeper. Despite the visitors pressure, come the 85th minute a dramatic turn of events cruelly snuffed out any hopes of a famous United victory as man of the match Pato picked up his second of the game as he flicked the ball past keeper Morgan De Sanctis. The victory sees Arsenal climb out of the bottom three ahead of their final game of the season at Fulham, whilst United find themselves cast to the bottom a full four points from safety with just Exter to face in their last game in division one. After the game United boss Ernie Borgnine voiced his disappointment as he boarded the team bus....

'' ...yes of course i'm bloody disappointed. After battling with ten men for best part of the second half, I thought we deserved something from the game and of course with just 4 minutes left it was a cruel way to be finally relegated. Nevertheless it wasn't tonights game alone that has left us in this position. We need to accept that we have failed this season and its vital that we pick ourselves up and start to prepare for what I hope will prove to be a speedy return to division one''.

For his part 2 goal Arsenal hero Plato,was understandably upbeat by the result as he quipped to waiting Greek philosophy students..

For I am certain, O men of Athens, that if I had engaged in politics, I should have perished long ago and done no good either to you or to myself. And don’t be offended at my telling you the truth: for the truth is that no man who goes to war with you or any other multitude, honestly struggling against the commission of unrighteousness and wrong in the state, will save his life; he who will really fight for the right, if he would live even for a little while, must have a private station and not a public one.

The 7046 Interviews:

Season 7’s Climax!

Reggu Nder – Stoke City

Okay, and now we hear from recently crowned division 2 champions Stoke in an interview, unfortunately, that was done with about 6 games to go:

Hi Reggu, great season you are having at Stoke. After narrowly missing out in the playoffs last season 3-2 to Blackburn can you go one better this season?

Yes sure it was very hard the last season we was among the best team in this season unfortunately we lost the important match ... Now we are the champions, our players did a good job, we deserve it after all. It was very tight but we did it.

It’s looking pretty tight at the top with just 2 points separating you, Bury and Coventry. Which one of those 3 doesn’t have what it takes to go the distance?

We beat Coventry 2-1, and Bury had a draw, we won again, they lost to each other, and now fortunately, that made us champions before the end of the season ...

Looking further down the table there are some incredibly strong clubs pushing for the playoffs, including the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and also former division 1 boys Blackburn and Wolves. Which of those teams could still be in the running and why?

I think Sunderland when we see their players like Marco Reus, Alexis Sanchez, their players are too good and they can change a match by their talent ... also others great players.

Stoke%20City%203675027.jpg

Stoke are actually the highest placed team in 7046 to have never won or come runners up at anything. What do you think is the reason for the lack of success of Stoke and can we expect it to change any time soon?

Yeah sure because before the end of the season, we had many injuries and it's very bad for a team which struggle for the title ... but now we will won our first title, it's incredible after a hard work.

Eto’o, it would seem, is the prized jewel at Stoke, though not quite the diamond he once was. Currently he is transfer listed as part exchange. What kind of exchange do you think might tempt you to offload him to elsewhere?

Eto’o is very good, despite his injuries, he still the best scorer of the team ( 18 goals ) atm, but he is too old, we like him but I think that we need young player to invest for them, because we will move to the 1st division, Eto’o is good yes, but if we sell him, we can get 2 good young players and it will be a good deal .

And lastly, it’s somewhat surprising to have not seen you post on 7046 following your phenomenal success this season (your last post was in September 2012). Any particular reason for your absence from the 7046 discussion thread?

Yeah, during to the job and others business, I wasn't free at all, but I did all my possible to manage Stoke, and now I'm back and I hope to be very active the season coming. :)

Well from one champion to another (sorry everyone, just couldn’t resist that) a hearty congratulations on your title and promotion win. Best of luck next season, I’m sure there’s many a manager that will tell you it’s pretty tough up there in the top flight, and getting tougher all the time.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 37-PT 1

Swindon Town gained top spot with a 4-1 win away at Aldershot Town.Bannan had given Aldershot the lead as late as the sixty second minute but Swindon rose to the challenge and two goals from Celustra and one each for Gouweleeuw and Rodriguez won the match.

Dagenham lost 1-0 at Gillingham and slip to second place making a nervous last day for the daggers.Nugent got the winner for the gills two minutes after half time.

Chesterfield sit in third place after a 4-1 win away at fifth placed Rotherham and keep there automatic promotion hopes alive.Britton,lallana,Rodallega and Douglao had put Chesterfield four ahead before Andre got a late consolation for United.

Brentford slipped down the Division four table to fourth place despite earning a 0-0 draw away at Leyton Orient.

Sixth placed Oldham Athletic drew 3-3 at home to Stockport County in the Greater Manchester derby.Souza and Neves gave County a two goal lead but Jones pulled one back for Athletic just before the interval.Elkeson extended the margin again for County but two goals from N'Guemo levelled the match for Oldham.

DIVISION 4 REVIEW-MATCHDAY 37-PT 2

Accrington Stanley drew 2-2 at home to Southend United.Ramis put the away side in front but Bony levelled from the penalty spot.Xavier struck again for United but Stanley fought back again and Kelvin scored to make sure the points were shared.

Colchester United were beaten 2-1 at home by Shorpe United.All the goals came late in the match with Colchester taking the lead after eighty minutes with a goal from Brozovic.Shorpe equalised two minutes later with a goal from Schmitz and with a minute left Carmona popped up to score the winner for Shorpe.

Brighton were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Shrewsbury Town.Ridgewell put Albion in front but Martinez scored for the shrews to level it.

Wycombe Wanderers lost 1-0 at home to Burton Albion.Meier got the only goal of the game after sixty minutes.

Basement club Cardiff City drew 1-1 at home to Bristol Rovers.Koke scored for City with Diabate on the scoresheet for Rovers.

Rovers build for next season..

Bristol Rovers have been active in the transfer market , with the signing of "Chori" Castro seen as the key move. Manager David Marchent felt his team lacked someone to unlock defences and sees the little South American as the answer to the problem.

Marchent was honest in his surmising of a poor season , " we've been disappointing this term, we have a decent team here now and anything less than play-offs next season will not suffice. We've acted early and hope the new boys will be settled in nicely by the start of next term.